• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
My 460 died on me after 2 years of me beating the shit out of it so I picked up a 7850 as a quick fix and it comes with Steam codes for Bioshock Infinite + Tomb Raider. I fucking love Steamworks and graphics card promotional bonuses.

I'm getting a little backed up with my running backlog though: I'm working on Skyrim and I still haven't had time to dig into Condemned + Brutal Legend and now I have 2 more games coming. I need to stay on top of this.

Grief.exe

My 460 died on me after 2 years of me beating the shit out of it so I picked up a 7850 as a quick fix and it comes with Steam codes for Bioshock Infinite + Tomb Raider. I fucking love Steamworks and graphics card promotional bonuses.

I'm getting a little backed up with my running backlog though: I'm working on Skyrim and I still haven't had time to dig into Condemned + Brutal Legend and now I have 2 more games coming. I need to stay on top of this.

Bonus!

I'm so disappointed in Bethesda after Skyrim, Morrowind was one of my favorite games of all time. Playing Skyrim just left a bad taste in my mouth.

HoosTrax

Sounds like you bought $110 worth of games, and a free video card came with it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bonus!

I'm so disappointed in Bethesda after Skyrim, Morrowind was one of my favorite games of all time. Playing Skyrim just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm liking Skyrim because I like Bethesda theme parks which has been their school of design for quite a while now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Sounds like you skipped Oblivion. I liked it when I first played it back in 2006, but once the allure of next gen visuals wore off, it became clear that it was missing a lot of what made Morrowind so special. My biggest problem with Skyrim is that it ended up feeling so much like Oblivion with a fresh coat of paint.

decaf

Hey all: wondering if anyone would mind picking up the Metal Sonic & OutRun DLC for Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed for me if I PayPal them the money first. I'm stuck in Japan and the game isn't available here.

Alternatively if anyone knows a free UK proxy that'll work with Steam I'd appreciate it!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I bought Skryim simply because it features dragons but even after 80-odd hours I never made it to the point in the main quest line where they begin to randomly spawn in the game world.

KingKong

Skyrim was just extremely bland - bad storytelling, bad characters, uninteresting locations, nothing to do in the overworld.

The engine itself is also terrible for any kind of interesting mission design, the scripting is painfully obvious (seeing characters go from 'standing and talking' animation to 'attacking and strafing' animation for example) and the whole game is just awkward to play

Grief.exe

Sounds like you skipped Oblivion. I liked it when I first played it back in 2006, but once the allure of next gen visuals wore off, it became clear that it was missing a lot of what made Morrowind so special. My biggest problem with Skyrim is that it ended up feeling so much like Oblivion with a fresh coat of paint.

No I didn't skip it. I gave Oblivion a pass at the time, and now that I see what happened with Skyrim I see where it all started.

My main issues with Skyrim:

Dumbed down to ridiculous levels
Combat is still garbage
World is incredibly shallow
Gamebryo

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I bought Skryim simply because it features dragons but even after 80-odd hours I never made it to the point in the main quest where they begin to randomly spawn in the game world.

...it's like the 3rd quest in the main quest. I had dragons all over the place before I even realized what I had done.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm liking Skyrim because I like Bethesda theme parks which has been their school of design for quite a while now.

Sometimes that's all it takes to make a game enjoyable. That's a lot of the reason I liked the game. The story was ok but the spectacle and exploration tickled me enough to basically claim it my GOTY for its respective year.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
...it's like the 3rd quest in the main quest. I had dragons all over the place before I even realized what I had done.

I figured I'd spend some time doing side missions before engaging the dragon attacking the tower near Whiterun... and before I knew it, I'd had enough.

5 is a lot to spend on a game which I'm not sure is any good. Anyone put extensive time into it?

It'll make you wish From would release the Armored Core games on PC. In fact, I want Armored Core on PC but mecha fans aren't just as many as those who petitioned for Dark Souls.

An Armored Core at 60fps with ultra-mega graphics and such would rock the house.

tl;dr: the single player is decent at most, the multiplayer is pretty much dead but can be fun if you can arrange another 7 orcs to play with in the different modes.

And I think that's missing all the DLC? (The DLC wanzer stuff is MP only though.)

I put 55 hours on it and only thanks to the community who, against all odds and an imbalanced MP, managed to arrange some great games.

Daellon

Neo Member
It's a poor man's Armored Core. Regular battles are pretty good, but the boss fights drag.

Now there is a series I'd love to see on Steam/PC. Though they have a different publisher with every new release, so that could be problematic. Oh, and one of the publisher's is Ubisoft as well.

Guess I'll keep dreaming.

Grief.exe

I hope we see a From Software love letter to PC like Gearbox did with Borderlands 2.

I want Dark Souls II to be a good port.

Yeah thanks for that...the news wasn't mentioned in this thread nor was the thread discussing it on the front page when I initially posted.

We were talking about it last night before I went to bed. Few pages back by now.

I bought Skryim simply because it features dragons but even after 80-odd hours I never made it to the point in the main quest line where they begin to randomly spawn in the game world.

did this too. Just started wandering around and ignored the main quest for a while. Need to pick this up for Steam, probably Summer Seal time.

I hope we see a From Software love letter to PC like Gearbox did with Borderlands 2.

I want Dark Souls II to be a good port.

It's really sad to see how much Dark Souls : PtD is selling so well, when its really a terribad port. If it wasn't for DSFix. Hope they have Durante on the payroll now.

1.5 hours into the DS now. Realizing why I disliked Demon Souls.

Atomski

i5 quadcore, GTX460, 8GB of RAM...it's not a beast but it should be able to handle an XBLA game. I didn't experiment much but I don't have the impression that turning down anything would improve performance, it's just buggy at the moment. Hopefully RedLynx (or whoever's porting) can get their shit together, but this is a marketing beta and I don't see the final product being very different in two weeks.

No FRAPs running at the time.

It's disappointing that the port isn't in a great state at the moment, but on the plus side it is nice to have these games in my Steam library.

GTX460 here as well and this framerate stuttering is making me so mad. This game should not be running this bad.

Zimbardo

too bad the multiplayer component of Dark Souls pc is pretty much busted. any time you try to summon someone you get 'summoned failed' about 80+% of the time ...while on playstation you succeed in summoning someone about 90% of the time.

(yes, games for windows live ports have been forwarded, = open NAT)

pretty much ruins the game for me on pc ...which is a real bummer, because DSfix can make the game look pretty sweet, and the framerate is perfect.

i'm amazed that FROM SOFTWARE haven't patched the game to try and improve connectivity. i remember when the game was first released on consoles, it had the same connectivity problems, but it was patched soon after to work properly. why not fix up the pc version as well? pretty sad.

Now that I own it and have gotten past the Capra demon I think I can start judging my friends who haven't picked it up yet.

And this is the guy that made me rage quit last night. Every time I go through the light, the dogs pin me against a wall and this dude just plows me. Can't roll or anything. I'm trying to get to the stairs and take care of these hell dogs, I don't know if its collision detection or incompetence, but I can't get around them before they just pin me to a wall.

And no, no Drake Sword.

Playing DX:HR (7$) from Amazon for activation, such a great game.

First was going all stealthy, than met the Punks in Detroit and decided its time to kill them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah the drake sword gets out paced quite quickly. Anyone who relies on it too long is eventually going to get a rude awakening.

I beat capra on my second try :O

Wtf. I refuse to believe someone going into that blind can do it in 2 tries. It took me 5 tries to even make sense of the situation and try to start managing it consistently.

Tomodachi

I finally beat the first boss on BIT.TRIP Runner. Pretty proud of myself. Now I've got two more worlds of hair pulling to get through.

Would you guys recommend any other Bit Trip games (other than BT Runner 2)?

I wouldn't. Runner is the deepest and most complete game, the others are something I wouldn't play for more than 10 minutes each, honestly. Tried all of them on the Wii, btw.

Grief.exe

The Drake Sword is such a horrible addition. It became a crutch for new players that couldn't be bothered to learn the game.

Agreed.

And this is the guy that made me rage quit last night. Every time I go through the light, the dogs pin me against a wall and this dude just plows me. Can't roll or anything. I'm trying to get to the stairs and take care of these hell dogs, I don't know if its collision detection or incompetence, but I can't get around them before they just pin me to a wall.

And no, no Drake Sword.

Try running to the right, just running through the dogs and Capra. Then, running to the stairs.

Check your equipped weight, sounds like you may be a bit heavy. Might want to drop it down below 50%

So long as they don't go full Borderlands and the game is good, I'm there.

Borderlands 2 bored me to tears.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The Drake Sword is such a horrible addition. It became a crutch for new players that couldn't be bothered to learn the game.

I won't shit on the Drake sword too much, as it took care of me for a while. But its usefulness quickly runs out once you get weapons with additional abilities like lightning damage.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Meh, by the time I found the Drake sword I had an enchanted halberd that outclassed it. It's not that great.

BTW, I really should finish Dark Souls. It's an amazing game but it can be really hard to pick back up after a hiatus.

Grief.exe

Just got my Bioshock Infinite preorder.

Just need to wait for Xcom to unlock.

I won't shit on the Drake sword too much, as it took care of me for a while. But its usefulness quickly runs out once you get weapons with additional abilities like lightning damage.

Then that falls off after a while and you have to go full Str or Dex build with a weapon that has A scaling.

Wtf. I refuse to believe someone going into that blind can do it in 2 tries. It took me 5 tries to even make sense of the situation and try to start managing it consistently.
I just kept running up the stairs and falling off them in a circle. Once you kill the dogs he's really easy. It took forever though.

I was talking to someone on skype at the time (not about the boss battle) he can back me up lol.

And no, no Drake Sword.

Upon walking through the light target capra demon and move right, take the hit while guarding, then walk to the left/roll away left. You might get hit again, have your shield up all the time at this first part. You should be able to back up the stairs from here, use a potion about 3/4s of the way up or kill the first dog. In whatever order seems to be a priority. Second dog dies whenever you feel comfortable. Then just play a game of falling off the little ledge against the back wall, get capra to jump down after you, hit him 2-3 times, run up the stairs, wait for him to follow, jump off, repeat. It's the best strat. The fight is also super easy if you use any magic at all.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Not to make you feel bad, but I did it in 3 with my second encounter being really damn close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom