• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Meh, by the time I found the Drake sword I had an enchanted halberd that outclassed it. It's not that great.

BTW, I really should finish Dark Souls. It's an amazing game but it can be really hard to pick back up after a hiatus.

One of the best games I have ever played. So glad they ported it to PC.

Its all subjective though, I hate Skyrim because it was so dumbed down, homogeneous, and shallow. Love Dark Souls for its difficulty, combat, aesthetics, atmosphere, and depth.

Other people could be the complete opposite though.

Upon walking through the light target capra demon and move right, take the hit while guarding, then walk to the left/roll away left. You might get hit again, have your shield up all the time at this first part. You should be able to back up the stairs from here, use a potion about 3/4s of the way up or kill the first dog. In whatever order seems to be a priority. Second dog dies whenever you feel comfortable. Then just play a game of falling off the little ledge against the back wall, get capra to jump down after you, hit him 2-3 times, run up the stairs, wait for him to follow, jump off, repeat. It's the best strat. The fight is also super easy if you use any magic at all.

Great advice here.

Once the dogs are dead Capra is incredibly easy to dodge. He really telegraphs his attacks.

But maybe just play the falling game until you grasp the game a little better. It took me until after O&S before it really clicked.

Grief.exe

My steam ventures have been going well for me lately.

I've earned $15 off of the market by selling TF2 items.

I just pre ordered Bioshock Infinite

I'm ready.

Agreed.

Try running to the right, just running through the dogs and Capra. Then, running to the stairs.

Check your equipped weight, sounds like you may be a bit heavy. Might want to drop it down below 50%

Borderlands 2 bored me to tears.

Thought I was good, but i'll check. Thanks

nexen

Thought about this but I realized I'm more interested in the overall lore of Front Mission than playing any of the games in the series.

I'm tempted. I haven't played a decent mech game in ages.
Does it at least have some good combat? Any red flags?

Sober

One of the best games I have ever played. So glad they ported it to PC.

Its all subjective though, I hate Skyrim because it was so dumbed down, homogeneous, and shallow. Love Dark Souls for its difficulty, combat, aesthetics, atmosphere, and depth.

Other people could be the complete opposite though.

Great advice here.

Once the dogs are dead Capra is incredibly easy to dodge. He really telegraphs his attacks.

But maybe just play the falling game until you grasp the game a little better. It took me until after O&S before it really clicked.
Took me like 6 or 7 tries to kill Capra but I found every time you pass through the light and he starts attacking I seemed to always have to take his first jump attack, seemed unavoidable. I'm sure it's wrong but that kinda pissed me off the first 2 or 3 times.

I just finished Blighttown, I really need to get back into the game, it's been a while. I keep taking longer and longer breaks between Dark Souls sessions.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Front Mission Evolved is TERRIBLE.

Regardless of the fact that it has Front Mission in the title. It is just generally an awful game.

nexen

I don't know how people can hate on Skyrim. It's like a little solo Nordic D&D adventure every time I boot it up.
I will grant that it is a bit homogeneous; I wish it had more visual variety. Given how open and free it is I'm willing to forgive that.

I don't know how people can hate on Skyrim. It's like a little solo Nordic D&D adventure every time I boot it up.
I will grant that it is a bit homogeneous; I wish it had more visual variety. Given how open and free it is I'm willing to forgive that.

The game, aside from a handful of hours exploring, is dead boring.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"A new platform" or a variant thereof is practically XBLA-speak for "coming to the PC". Fish said much the same thing about Fez prior to its Steam listing being discovered.

nexen

The game, aside from a handful of hours exploring, is dead boring.

*shrug* different strokes. I'm about 160hrs into it, and still boot it up on occasion to finish a few questlines.
I really want all the dragon priest headgear.

"A new platform" or a variant thereof is practically XBLA-speak for "coming to the PC". Fish said much the same thing about Fez prior to its Steam listing being discovered.
I really, really want Fez on PC.

didamangi

For those of you that get/bought the AMD Tomb Raider + Bioshock Infinite voucher and have registered the key to AMD, check your inbox. I just got my Tomb Raider steam key. Preloading it now (8.8GB)

JaseC

For those of you that get/bought the AMD Tomb Raider + Bioshock Infinite voucher and have registered the key to AMD, check your inbox. I just got my Tomb Raider steam key. Preloading it now (8.8GB)

Nice, thanks for the heads up (about the pre-load being live, that is). Pre-load download size is 10.5GB for me, which seems rather small to me considering most of the textures were said to be sixteen times the resolution of their console counterparts.

didamangi

Nice, thanks for the heads up (about the pre-load being live, that is). Pre-load download size is 10.5GB for me, which seems rather small to me considering most of the textures were said to be sixteen times the resolution of their console counterparts.

It said around 10gb when I want to install it but I check the download and it's 8.8GB. Could you confirm?

koolaroo

I wanted to give war of the roses a try but I keep getting failed to connect to key server. I was even thinking about buying it to but I don't really want to before I get to try it.

JaseC

It said around 10gb when I want to install it but I check the download and it's 8.8GB. Could you confirm?

trpreloade6se4.jpg

(800KBps peak? I wish.)

Nabs

I wanted to give war of the roses a try but I keep getting failed to connect to key server. I was even thinking about buying it to but I don't really want to before I get to try it.

Just wait it out. Don't buy it until you give it a try.

dreamfall

10.5 GBs over here for Tomb Raider as well- thanks for letting me know!

This is exciting. I can't wait to finally try this out. And watch that hair swoosh.

JaseC

Brah get better internet/move to a better country.

Slowly but surely!

NBN Co said:
Fibre | Construction commenced - construction commenced in your area on Sep 2012.

Current expected date of Ready for Service
Feb-2014

(The RFS date was originally this November, the slack bastards. :()

Did you get the Survival Edition? Could be the extra materials. My DL in the states is the same size.

Good point.

What is so bad about it? Is it the combat? For $5 I can put up with some jank.

The single player has TPS moments where you get down the mech and they are just terrible. The mech sections are OK, but nothing to write home about. Some require you to use particular sets of legs (hover/quad) and there are some rather bad boss fights. It's all on the average side. The multiplayer is essentially dead unless you can find a group of people to play with and even then, if they are high leveled and have good gear you are in for a rough ride.

At first people thought they were going to support the game, add more mechs/stuff for the multiplayer but after cashing in with a few DLC, it was left to die.

But like others said, it's a poor's man Armored Core that should've spawned repeated request for Armored Core games on PC...

This is curious: http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Self-Made Mann Co. Supply Crate Key

According to the description it can only be used once and it has a sparkle effect which doesn't make sense since I don't believe you can equip chest keys to begin with.

It's just a thing they give to you if you made something that made it in a special chest I believe. There is no sparkle because you can't equip it obviously. Also people like to buy it for reasons unknown to me as it does absolutely nothing other than sit in your inventory.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

It's a big, beautiful world in which every small interaction (especially combat) feels like shit. If you care about how it feels to play more than the "knowledge" that you're in a huge world with reams of textual narrative, then you might not like Skyrim very much.

HoosTrax

Wasn't the PC port pretty bad?
Lol don't remind me. I remember when I was playing it years back, and all of the cutscene videos were screwed up (the backgrounds looked normal, but all of the characters were upside down).

But SE did an updated remake/port that they released as an exclusive on their own website a few months ago.

Grief.exe

Wasn't the PC port pretty bad?

Lol don't remind me. I remember when I was playing it years back, and all of the cutscene videos were screwed up (the backgrounds looked normal, but all of the characters were upside down).

But SE did an updated remake/port that they released as an exclusive on their own website a few months ago.

I believe the updated port that SE released recently was pretty solid. I didn't delve too much into it though.

As I remember it had some kind of always online DRM thing through their store. I may be mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom