• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I finally beat the first boss on BIT.TRIP Runner. Pretty proud of myself. Now I've got two more worlds of hair pulling to get through.

Would you guys recommend any other Bit Trip games (other than BT Runner 2)?
Yes, Beat and Void. I'd recommend Flux only if you want to experience one of the best games I've ever played, and Core if you are more skilled than I am. Never played much of Fate, but it's good fun too.

(I know I'm 4 pages late, I'm still catching up!)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mod abuse

A few days ago someone on Steam contacted me because they were locked out of their account. I started forwarding their info to the admins to get it resolved, but stuff fell through the cracks. I was trying to figure out who did it but my computer rebooted in the mean time and I don't have the Steam message from the person and can't remember the username. If you're that person and you read this, could you please send me another message on Steam with your info? Sorry, this is totally my fault. Thanks.

HoosTrax

Well things are looking up...I might be able to get a decent return on my Brutal Legend preorder selling the two TF2 items. Tux is still not sellable though :(

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Yes, Beat and Void. I'd recommend Flux only if you want to experience one of the best games I've ever played, and Core if you are more skilled than I am. Never played much of Fate, but it's good fun too.

(I know I'm 4 pages late, I'm still catching up!)
Thanks, I just finished Runner too, I bought it with the 2nd HIB and it took 18 hours to complete (6 of which went in to the last 3 levels...)

I must say, by looking at the trailer, looks like Core has an hell of a soundtrack.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Well things are looking up...I might be able to get a decent return on my Brutal Legend preorder selling the two TF2 items. Tux is still not sellable though :(

Yikes, thanks for letting me know, just sold the Shred Alert for $7.35 profit and the bouffant for $1.87. Have my Runner 2 shoes up for around $8 now too.

NIN90

Mod abuse

A few days ago someone on Steam contacted me because they were locked out of their account. I started forwarding their info to the admins to get it resolved, but stuff fell through the cracks. I was trying to figure out who did it but my computer rebooted in the mean time and I don't have the Steam message from the person and can't remember the username. If you're that person and you read this, could you please send me another message on Steam with your info? Sorry, this is totally my fault. Thanks.

Since Steam now logs chat messages, couldn't you just click through all of your friendslist? Shouldn't take too long.

Mod abuse

You can check Web Chat feature of Steam to read the logs and find any unread messages.
Let me add "theoretically" here, in case it doesn't work.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Just thought you'd like to know, Super House of Dead Ninjas has just received an update today. Things fixed include bugfixes to broken achievements, some weapons have been tweaked, native controller support and slowdown (hopefully) drastically reduced on the last boss fight and Transdimensional Leakage stage.

Let us know if there is any trouble and I'll pass them on to our hardworking coder!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, I just finished Runner too, I bought it with the 2nd HIB and it took 18 hours to complete (6 of which went in to the last 3 levels...)

I must say, by looking at the trailer, looks like Core has an hell of a soundtrack.
Yup, you say well. Core is my least favorite Bit.Trip game (which means it's just a good game, but nothing more), but it has one of the best soundtracks of them all.

Runner is awesome, and those last levels are simply brutal. 3-9 and 3-11 are a real test of manhood (more like gamerhood!), but it's not the first game in the series that did it. The final level of Beat kicked my ass an infinite number of times, until I got lucky once and managed to finish it. Since then I was able to complete it every time I tried, maybe after 2 attempts, but I still remember the time when I couldn't.

Core is another monster too. I still don't know the last level, only its music from the soundtrack album, as the previous one is hard as fuck. Never beat Void either, but with that game at least I managed to reach the 3rd stage. In Fate I think I got to the 3rd or 4th level (out of 5 or 6, I don't know), but for some reason I don't feel the urge to keep playing it. With the rest I do, it's only that I feel it's pointless because I will lose anyway, so I never try to complete them.

The easiest one, and also the best, is Flux. Every time I launch it on my Wii I know I'm in for 70 minutes of pure joy. To me it was the perfect way to finish the saga, going back to the roots but with lots of improvements. It's like they took away everything I didn't like about Beat (excessive difficulty) and added everything I wanted (checkpoints -don't hate me, I dare you to finish Growth on your first 15 tries!-, more level ups -Meta is beautiful- and more awesome chiptune tracks). It may not be my favorite game ever (it's still fucking close), but it's definitely one I'll remember all my life. And for all good reasons!

HoosTrax

Eh the entire 40K franchise changed publisher from THQ to SEGA. So I probably didn't need to have rushed and bought all of them during winter sale.
Yikes, thanks for letting me know, just sold the Shred Alert for $7.35 profit and the bouffant for $1.87. Have my Runner 2 shoes up for around $8 now too.
Yeah I just made a little under $10 selling those two. So it ended up be a little more than $6 for the game when it's all said and done. Not too shabby.

Nabs

I noticed a small Chivalry update today. Could it be...?

This update has to do with switching the way the prerequisites are installed (in supported games, Steam now installs common prerequisites only once, not every time a different game is installed). There were no changes to the game itself. Thank you.

TronLight

Yup, you say well. Core is my least favorite Bit.Trip game (which means it's just a good game, but nothing more), but it has one of the best soundtracks of them all.

Runner is awesome, and those last levels are simply brutal. 3-9 and 3-11 are a real test of manhood (more like gamerhood!), but it's not the first game in the series that did it. The final level of Beat kicked my ass an infinite number of times, until I got lucky once and managed to finish it. Since then I was able to complete it every time I tried, maybe after 2 attempts, but I still remember the time when I couldn't.

Core is another monster too. I still don't know the last level, only its music from the soundtrack album, as the previous one is hard as fuck. Never beat Void either, but with that game at least I managed to reach the 3rd stage. In Fate I think I got to the 3rd or 4th level (out of 5 or 6, I don't know), but for some reason I don't feel the urge to keep playing it. With the rest I do, it's only that I feel it's pointless because I will lose anyway, so I never try to complete them.

The easiest one, and also the best, is Flux. Every time I launch it on my Wii I know I'm in for 70 minutes of pure joy. To me it was the perfect way to finish the saga, going back to the roots but with lots of improvements. It's like they took away everything I didn't like about Beat (excessive difficulty) and added everything I wanted (checkpoints -don't hate me, I dare you to finish Growth on your first 15 tries!-, more level ups -Meta is beautiful- and more awesome chiptune tracks). It may not be my favorite game ever (it's still fucking close), but it's definitely one I'll remember all my life. And for all good reasons!

Man, I already have to wait for the bundle to go on sale(I can't really buy anything in this period), don't make me even more hyped. :(

BTW, the 3-9 in Runner really made me weep.
That segment with the two waves of cubes... The first is like the ones you already had to pass in the previous level (red-purple-red), but the second is inverted (purple-red-purple), and it was just impossibile the first 20 times...

But the final level was quite a disappointment anyway... It's like they didn't have time to desing a final boss.

I noticed a small Chivalry update today. Could it be...?

No more installing DirectX every time you download a game (eventually)?
iHGEcTZvVsLQ5.png

oipic

Small KoA update from CAG: Tony's Rhode Island contact has seemingly requested 50,000 keys from Valve for Amazon's use... so the wheels are in motion.

Grief.exe

Saving for future reference. Thanks, Oipic I'm sure we will have to refer to this a few times.

Sorry I should have clarified, we pulled the promo messaging at a set point on 2/22, at this point relatively few people had placed orders on 2/22. If you placed an order before the messaging was pulled you'll get a credit (no worries ) I was using 2/22 as a ref point because of the low volume of orders before the messaging was pulled.

Also,

Regarding Kingdoms of Amalur, I just got an email that made me LoL at my desk like a crazy person.

Literally about 30 seconds after I hit "submit" on the Kingdoms of Amalur post I got this from the guy I'm working with (now State of RI employee, used to be a BHG employee):

Previous email from Tony for context:

Hey man,

Any word on this yet? I'm really excited to start throwing piles of money at you guys.

Response from the former BHG guy, now state of Rhode Island:

Yes! I have Steam access to 38 Studios and BHG software. I made a request yesterday for 50k keys for Amazon, and am awaiting a reply.

Talk to you soon,
<redacted>

Cheers,
Tony

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10530029&postcount=7205

Lizardus

Started up RAGE and I have to say, it's pretty good. The gunplay feels fantastic and the wingblades are awesome. Snuck up on a group of bandits and decapitated one while rushing and blasting the others with the shotgun.

Easily worth 4.99

Deadbeat

Banned
Started up RAGE and I have to say, it's pretty good. The gunplay feels fantastic and the wingblades are awesome. Snuck up on a group of bandits and decapitated one while rushing and blasting the others with the shotgun.

Easily worth 4.99
Game shits itself later on.

that's encouraging

I just realized that this:

http://games.adultswim.com/super-house-of-dead-ninjas-action-online-game.html

is basically the full game, isnt it? at least it looks identical to the quick look version

wonder what they added to the actual steam release (in order to charge $5 for it), maybe just the map editor

There are more levels (a lot more than it seems when first booting up hint hint) and lots more weapons is my understanding. Also you can play it full screen!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Do people actually want KoA for the game, or think they want it just because it'll never go on sale on Steam itself.

I heard pretty alright things, and for the right place I wouldn't mind playing. RPS had a pretty good article on it the other day asking why more people didn't play it. Some of the reasons he had for liking it were a little on the edge but overall it looks like it could be some fun for a bundle of hours.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm so bored, don't know what Steam game to play

Super House of Dead Ninjas has controller support now btw, but I'm using joytokey still cause I need d-pad controls

And yes, it's great

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I bought Kingdoms Of Amalur AND it's DLC on their release days on Steam and I've still not played a single second of any of them (and I genuinely want to!)

Yeah......

Relax.MX

In what way? I don't mind if it's the story. It's your usual wasteland tale.

Have good ideas but just never jump above of a average and soulless game, and technical with a mediocre AI and bad console port

But well after a 85% of tutorial the game start to be good and bang is the end

Small KoA update from CAG: Tony's Rhode Island contact has seemingly requested 50,000 keys from Valve for Amazon's use... so the wheels are in motion.

I don't get it. They're getting the keys from Valve? So if Valve has keys, why can't they put this on sale? Or is Amazon just getting the keys to also sell a Steam DRM version of the game but not offering it on sale?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I already have to wait for the bundle to go on sale(I can't really buy anything in this period), don't make me even more hyped. :(

BTW, the 3-9 in Runner really made me weep.
That segment with the two waves of cubes... The first is like the ones you already had to pass in the previous level (red-purple-red), but the second is inverted (purple-red-purple), and it was just impossibile the first 20 times...

But the final level was quite a disappointment anyway... It's like they didn't have time to desing a final boss.
Haha I'm sorry, it's just that I love the franchise. I'm gonna say this here: once I have all games on Steam, I swear I'll try to finish the ones I never could on Wii (Core, Void and Fate). And then replay Flux over and over again until I get sick of it or I die (whatever comes last, which will probably be the former).

Don't forget that there's a reason why there's a Steam achievement for beating 3-9. It's not called "The Gauntlet" for nothing :p

And I hope you managed to get the non-standard game over. If you want to know how to get it,
get to the end of the final level (3-12), and instead of using the spring to kick the boss, let CommanderVideo fall down from the roof. That's it, the one and only game over in the whole game. You couldn't defeat Mingrawn Timbletot, and you even fell to your death. Congratulations, you didn't Triumph, and you didn't beat The Source. You'll never get to face your Fate. I hope you are happy now.

I love these games.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't get it. They're getting the keys from Valve? So if Valve has keys, why can't they put this on sale? Or is Amazon just getting the keys to also sell a Steam DRM version of the game but not offering it on sale?

Valve has no say in the pricing structure, that is entirely up to the publisher of the game. Rhode Island had never contacted Valve about reducing the game's price on steam, so Amazon Tony took one for the team and tracked down the right people so Amazon could get batches of steam keys for the game to sell at a lowered cost (presumably). Valve didn't really feel like doing all the work that Tony did.

TronLight

Haha I'm sorry, it's just that I love the franchise. I'm gonna say this here: once I have all games on Steam, I swear I'll try to finish the ones I never could on Wii (Core, Void and Fate). And then replay Flux over and over again until I get sick of it or I die (whatever comes last, which will probably be the former).

Don't forget that there's a reason why there's a Steam achievement for beating 3-9. It's not called "The Gauntlet" for nothing :p

And I hope you managed to get the non-standard game over. If you want to know how to get it,
get to the end of the final level (3-12), and instead of using the spring to kick the boss, let CommanderVideo fall down from the roof. That's it, the one and only game over in the whole game. You couldn't defeat Mingrawn Timbletot, and you even fell to your death. Congratulations, you didn't Triumph, and you didn't beat The Source. You'll never get to face your Fate. I hope you are happy now.

I love these games.

Lol at the game over.

But who is Mingrawn Timbletot? I mean, the games have some kind of plot besides CommanderVideo being stuck on earth?

BTW, Flux and Fate are going to be on Steam eventually?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Lol at the game over.

But who is Mingrawn Timbletot? I mean, the games have some kind of plot besides CommanderVideo being stuck on earth?

BTW, Flux and Fate are going to be on Steam eventually?
Yes, there's a (kinda) complex plot that I only understood after reading about it on the internet xD

I don't know, the games are supposed to represent CommanderVideo's journey through existence, life,
death and redemption
, but I don't really see it expressed in the games. Perhaps there are some subtle clues in the backgrounds, which I can't really look at while I'm playing, so I missed all that.

Mingrawn Timbletot is the name of the recurrent boss in Runner 2, that strange flying thing.

Here's a really interesting and beautiful article about the story behind the Bit.Trip games (HEAVY SPOILERS THERE!). I would never have guessed any of that stuff just by playing the games, but it's interesting, as it all makes sense once you read about it.

Now I feel tempted to fire up the Wii and play Flux again. But instead I'll head straight to Runner 2, for which I don't have to leave the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom