• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
I was not aware of this.
Why is this not out? Come on Sega, you've been porting other games for PC, hire a team to work on this, I'll buy it day 1, I want to replay this game on my PC!

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this happen given how PC friendly Sega has become. And there is precedent of them porting over older games like Viking: BfA.

For such heavily requested titles and the minimal work needed (Platinum has said they develop the framework of their games on PC), this seems like a no brainer.

Persona7

Banned
DAMN IT

I missed the YS Origin daily deal a few days ago.

and I see that Rochard now has DLC, I just bought it. $1.99 for 5 new levels.

kurahador

I see that the Brutal Legend taunt is worth ~$8.60 and the hair ~$1.80. If I sold them now I'd make a ~40c profit, but I think I'll wait it out a bit and see if the the former goes up.

Whoa...thank you based mannconomy.

It'd still have to go through GFWL though. That's the infrastructure of the program. I bought freaking Arkham City Robin DLC through Steam and had to go through 10 steps just the same. All I bought through Steam was a stupid GFWL game code.
Glad I waited and bought GOTY version for both arkham.

Grief.exe

Guys. I am loving Sleeping Dogs.

Its funny because I tried to get into GTA: EFLC in December and couldn't do it.

Sleeping Dogs took the GTA formula and said, 'how can we make literally every aspect of this more fun?'

Good PC port? Check.
Arkham Asylum combat? Check.
Awesome driving mechanics and ability to ram other cars? Check. The handbrake feels the right amount of arcadey.
High Res Textures? Check. Game looks amazing.
Interesting city? Check.
Polished? Hell yes.

I could go on.

The only problem I am having is when I take screenshots, either through Steam or with Afterburner, they just turn up with a black screen.

Anyone heard of this problem? Its all over google, but no fix.

Wow, the Steam marketplace is awesome. Already turned some items I never used into cheap games.

I just started using it too.

Made $20, that's at least 4 games, if not more. I'm happy.

And I still have more vintage gear to sell, its just only worth about .50 a pop.

Hopefully the Bioshock Infinite items are about $1-$2 each, even more money on the table.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I like the Brutal Legend taunt too much to trade it away, even though I hardly ever play TF2 anymore. :p

I'm running into this problem. $8.60 is a really nice chunk of change, and I almost instantly threw my taunt up on the marketplace to gain some more money for cheap steam games but when I booted up TF2 to get the item I wanted to test it out. It's just so fucking awesome. I dunno if I can bring myself to part with it, I feel like there will have to be something really worth it to come knocking.

Hellix

Sold a $0.86 hat, now only the Runner 2 pre-order shoes remain, at $6.80. I can't believe there's so many people with such a disposable income, and who want to spend it on stupid stuff.

I'm glad those guys exist!

Just made $7 from selling those shoes. I wish they would hurry up and open up the market to strange weapons and normal hats.

zkylon

zkylewd
Like I said earlier on the thread, the problem with Sleepy Dogs is that it loses focus midway through and it gets very blegh from that point forward.

Your first impression of the game, though, is always excellent and it really is the seed of a very good franchise, it just needs more cohesion.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
fuckin TF2 economy, im tempted to sell them but I dont know if they'll get more expensive or cheaper

I don't see the value of the hair changing much at all, but, IIIRC, the taunt is the very first promo one so it's entirely possible that it'll be worth a pretty penny later down the track.

Derrick01

Banned
So how does this marketplace thing work? I want to sell an item and it wants me to list the money I'll get and the money the buyer will pay. Wtf is the difference?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So how does this marketplace thing work? I want to sell an item and it wants me to list the money I'll get and the money the buyer will pay. Wtf is the difference?

The money the buyer pays is just valve's cut. They pay that, a small percentage goes to Valve and the rest to you, the money you listed the item as.

Eternia

Sold a $0.86 hat, now only the Runner 2 pre-order shoes remain, at $6.80. I can't believe there's so many people with such a disposable income, and who want to spend it on stupid stuff.

I'm glad those guys exist!
It's pretty insane. For instance, during the holidays, Valve ran an (annual?) TF2 event where there would be special crates for holiday themed items. Crates were released first and then the holiday specific crate keys followed a little while after. The first two days keys went live, the Naughty crate market prices were ping ponging between $0.50 to over $2.30 while Nice crate prices were going between $0.12 to about $0.50. Seeing prices skyrocket over a span of a few minutes was amazing to watch.

What I found funny though was that the people on tf2outpost that were buying crates (with incredibly lowball offers) before the keys were released kept droning on and on about how they will be worthless soon. Sneaky, I'd say, as a person who isn't involved with TF2.

No no, it's listing how much you want to sell it for, and it telling you how much you'll get out of the transaction. Valve takes a cut, so you're not getting the pure amount you ask for.

Derrick01

Banned
Alright I get it now, I didn't bother typing anything in so I didn't know it was going to auto calculate lol.

edit: I only have a couple of old preorder items apparently but if I can sell them all for around the average price I'll have $15-$20. That'd work for me!

JaseC

Why can't I sell Bill's Hat on the market?

As the Steam Market is currently in beta it's limited to select item types; in the case of TF2, consumables and genuine/vintage items. There are vintage Bill's Hats listed but they're exceedingly rare: in the early days of the inventory system it was possible to delete items, so Steam Support offered vintage variants of Bill's Hat to those who'd accidentally/"accidentally" deleted their regular Bill's Hat, hence the ~$130 price tags on the former.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty insane. For instance, during the holidays, Valve ran an (annual?) TF2 event where there would be special crates for holiday themed items. Crates were released first and then the holiday specific crate keys followed a little while after. The first two days keys went live, the Naughty crate market prices were ping ponging between $0.50 to over $2.30 while Nice crate prices were going between $0.12 to about $0.50. Seeing prices skyrocket over a span of a few minutes was amazing to watch.

What I found funny though was that the people on tf2outpost that were buying crates (with incredibly lowball offers) before the keys were released kept droning on and on about how they will be worthless soon. Sneaky, I'd say, as a person who isn't involved with TF2.
So if I understand correctly, no one plays TF2 because they like the game. They only care about the TCG-like part of it, that is, hats and other shit. What a strange community they are.

Oh, I just looked to see I sold the last piece of TF2 paraphernalia. Now I have $17.63 on my account's wallet for doing absolutely nothing. All gone in one night. I may buy Sonic Whatever Transformed from GetGames to celebrate, even though I can't use the money I earned outside of Steam.

zkylon

zkylewd
Your best bet for the market is to search the item you wanna sell, and to put your hat at a price that's gonna show up on the first page. You'll sell all your stuff in a week or two, easy.

I'm holding onto my The Cave items a bit more, but that's like 10 bucks in the bank, it's a really good way to get some cashback out of preorders.

Wok

it's a really good way to get some cashback out of preorders.

Valve usually makes us pay for games we don't play, because they are cheap. Now, Valve has managed to convince us to pay full-price for games we cannot play, because they are not released but come with hats.

Obviously I can't predict the future but I think that the price on the Steam Market that people are selling the Brutal Legend taunt for is abnormally high. Partly this comes with the fact that it's not just another promotional hat (it's a taunt!) and also because it looks cool while a lot of other promo items are just plain ugly. It's is also the first promotional taunt which could add more value. I don't think the prices will be as high for the BioShock Infinite items but who knows.

In addition to what you said, we have to keep in mind Brutal Legend has appeared on the store for preorder for a very limited amount of time, and without big warning prior to it. The items cannot be expensive for games like BI.

sprinkles

I am trying to make a dent into my sales backlog now that I got my new rig up and running. After thoroughly enjoying Crysis 3 I was in the mood for another graphical overdose. So I started up Metro 2033 which I (and many others like me) ripped out of THQ's carcass. But I cannot get rid of the horrible screen tearing. It ruins the great atmosphere in seconds. There is no Force VSync option ingame. I already tried D3DOverider and MSI Afterburner (both crash the Metro2033.exe during the startup). I really want to play the game but if I cannot fix this I guess I never will..

KNT-Zero

I don't know if this was posted, but there are a couple of really gorgeous bundles on GMG, which look even better with the GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS 25% discount voucher they have:

Sega Retro Bundle - £14.36 | $21.5 (£11.49 | $17.25 with voucher)
- Jet Set Radio
- NiGHTS into DREAMS
- SEGA Bass Fishing
- Space Channel 5 Part 2
- Crazy Taxi
- SEGA Megadrive Collection Series 1,2,3,4 & 5

And also:
Sonic Bundle -- £18.47 | $27.73 (£14.78 | $22.19 with voucher)
- Sonic Generations
- Sonic 1,2,3,& Knuckles, 4 I&II
- Sonic CD
- Sonic SEGA All Stars Racing
- Sonic Adventure DX & 2 (No Battle DLC, I think)

So yeah, beefy stuff. And it only lasts for today...

They are far from my budget at the moment... but if anyone bites, I'm interested in only Nights into Dreams and Sonic Adventure 2, so if anyone wants to trade or make offers, be my guest :)

ngt

Posted this in a trade thread but since this one is much more popular, I'm writing here as well. If anyone's after cheap Chivalry, Ace of Spades or Natural Selection 2 then feel free to PM me. I'm actually trying to get 4 people for a Natural Selection 2 4pack ($5.50 each copy) and War of the Roses ($2.25).

Like I said earlier on the thread, the problem with Sleepy Dogs is that it loses focus midway through and it gets very blegh from that point forward.

Your first impression of the game, though, is always excellent and it really is the seed of a very good franchise, it just needs more cohesion.
You are trying so hard for me not to buy the game. There was a guy selling it for like 7 and i took a pass on it.

for that i thank you Z

kami_sama

You are trying so hard for me not to buy the game. There was a guy selling it for like 7 and i took a pass on it.

for that i thank you Z
Beware! The game doesn't even start for me.

When it works, which it did for 2 playthroughs, it's awesome, but since I got a new card, it always crashes when I start it.

HoosTrax

I don't know if this was posted, but there are a couple of really gorgeous bundles on GMG, which look even better with the GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS 25% discount voucher they have:

Sega Retro Bundle - £14.36 | $21.5 (£11.49 | $17.25 with voucher)
- Jet Set Radio
- NiGHTS into DREAMS
- SEGA Bass Fishing
- Space Channel 5 Part 2
- Crazy Taxi
- SEGA Megadrive Collection Series 1,2,3,4 & 5
I wonder if there's any confirmation that the Megadrive collection here is Steam keys. Because the Amazon version is not, but this one says Steam DRM, even on the individual game pages.

Also, be careful of Sonic All-Stars Transformed -- it's a nostalgia trap that secretly sends you subliminal messages compelling you to buy all of SEGA's old-school games :|

KNT-Zero

I wonder if there's any confirmation that the Megadrive collection here is Steam keys. Because the Amazon version is not, but this one says Steam DRM, even on the individual game pages.

Also, be careful of Sonic All-Stars Transformed -- it's a nostalgia trap that secretly sends you subliminal messages compelling you to buy all of SEGA's old-school games :|

Well, it definitely says "This game requires a free Steam account to play." :/

haikira

The only problem I am having is when I take screenshots, either through Steam or with Afterburner, they just turn up with a black screen.

Anyone heard of this problem? Its all over google, but no fix.

I have the same problem with Sleeping Dogs. By any chance, do you have an SLI or Crossfire setup? I ask, as i'm fairly certain when i originally played the game at launch with a single 670, there wasn't a problem. Though now with 670 SLI, my screenshots turn out black.

JaseC

Speaking of which, I'll have to remember to pick up the two ToeJam & Earl games next time there's a Sega sale as they weren't rolled into any of the existing MegaDrive packs.

Deadbeat

Banned
I went onto Mario kart servers and were buying naughty crates for 1 reclaimed each and then flipping them for money. Absolutely stupid.

Need my summer crates valve.

HoosTrax

I don't understand the GMG promo code thing. I'm trying to buy both packs, but it's only applying the code to one of two. Can I just buy them one at a time, or will it lock me out from using it the second time?

ngt

What do I have to do to be able to sell my TF2 items? I've got The Orange Box and I thought it would be enough but apparently not and all my items are still not tradable.

Wow, 1st post on a new page! It's like winning an Oscar!

1-D_FTW

What do I have to do to be able to sell my TF2 items? I've got The Orange Box and I thought it would be enough but apparently not and all my items are still not tradable.

They need to be vintage items.

First on page? You're dead center in the middle of the page for me. Nothing special here;)

ngt

My items are some old items for pre-ordering games, I can see the same on the market already so I wanted to get rid of mine as well but they are all not tradable for some reason.

Tags on one of them are: Genuine, Misc, Scout, Sniper, Soldier, Demoman, Medic, Heavy, Pyro, Spy, Engineer, Not Tradable, Not Marketable

I think you need to spend money in the store first, become premium. The cheapest items are 49c. Why you're not premium already having bought the orange box, I don't know.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

You have to have bought something on the TF2 store at some point.

HoosTrax

Speaking of which, I'll have to remember to pick up the two ToeJam & Earl games next time there's a Sega sale as they weren't rolled into any of the existing MegaDrive packs.
Maybe they'll eventually be part of Pack #6? Also, I didn't realize until now that the Sonic Megadrive games are not in any of the packs. And that pack I just bought does not have Sonic 3D Blast (not a huge loss...) or Sonic Spinball (kind of liked this back in the day).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom