• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just attempted to activate a key on Steam and got a screen that said "Product Already Owned." Can I still give the key for someone else to use, or did I just waste it?

The days of Steam eating keys are long behind us.

JaseC

July: Summer Sale

Now we need something for August.

August features the QuakeCon Sale, but it's essentially just a few days of discounts on Bethesda-published games rather than a more general sale, which is why I neglected to mention it and consequently the Summer Sale.

So over the past two months I've been really enjoying Dragon Age Origins, and Awakening.

After finishing Awakening, I installed Dragon Age 2. I'd been hearing all of the negativity surrounding it for years now, but I just had to find out for myself. I had to know.

And of course everything everyone said is correct. What an incredible bummer. It's even worse than I could ever imagine (admittedly only based off about an hour of play).

Origins/Awakening are totally worth picking up though.

Here's hoping the DA3 reveal at PAX East will be encouraging...

Ledsen

So over the past two months I've been really enjoying Dragon Age Origins, and Awakening.

After finishing Awakening, I installed Dragon Age 2. I'd been hearing all of the negativity surrounding it for years now, but I just had to find out for myself. I had to know.

And of course everything everyone said is correct. What an incredible bummer. It's even worse than I could ever imagine (admittedly only based off about an hour of play).

If you've played one hour, you've played the whole game. You'll be doing exactly the same thing in the same environments for the next 20 hours.

Ledsen

That's such a shame.

To be fair, I've only played like 15 hours of the game. But from what I've heard, it stays the same. You run around the same city and the same surrounding environments doing fetch quests. Supposedly the city changes each chapter as time passes, but it looks exactly the same. It's a shame, because personally I actually like the visuals and the world building. The combat has potential but is ruined by a few stupid, stupid design decisions (mainly the wave system and bosses with way too much hp).

Aaron

To be fair, I've only played like 15 hours of the game. But from what I've heard, it stays the same. You run around the same city and the same surrounding environments doing fetch quests. Supposedly the city changes each chapter as time passes, but it looks exactly the same. It's a shame, because personally I actually like the visuals and the world building. The combat has potential but is ruined by a few stupid, stupid design decisions (mainly the wave system and bosses with way too much hp).
You missed the horrible, horrible ending. But you can catch that on youtube.

Mogwai

I'm considering to buy L4D2 even though it's not on sale or anything. Checked steamsales but it seems like this game never goes on sale?

Anyway, the most important part: Is the activity still good for this game on PC? Don't wanna be hanging out with bots ;)

Hellix

Lost Planet 3 added to registry. Apparently comes out at the end of the month, haven't heard anything about it.

No achievements showing up so it might not be GFWL. Achievements are showing up for both RE6 and Revelations.

Damn, Capcom is rolling out them PC games this year.

Are any of the DA2 DLCs worth picking up?

If you enjoyed the game then yes the two additional content DLC's are worth it. Personally I enjoyed 'Legacy' more than 'Mark of the Assassin', but in both cases they're decent additions to the core game despite rather uninspired gameplay structures.

JaseC

I have 8 years on Steam. My boss has 9!

Wonder how many old timers there are around. Some people are probably reaching the 10 years of service badge.

9yearseqrj1.png

Sup :p

Also the badge only seems to count from the official release, I had steam beta before it released but it doesn't seem to count it :\

Also: WON for life!
And don't forget to delete clientregistry.blob (points if you get both references)

edit: did you know origin launched in 2005 under the name EADM? Really puts in perspective how primitive and shitty it still is today, my account dates back to the first week when it was released.
Steam was shitty for the first 3 years but at least it got good eventually and keeps getting better.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wonder if they'll ever get around to improving their customer service. I have heard plenty of shitty stories and you'd think they would do better. I myself asked if it was possible to remove a game from my library and they said no and offered to remove all my games. What kind of sarcastic asshole suggestion is that?

Ledsen

I didn't pick any up so I can't say. No DLC could really redeem the game.

I'm actually planning to finish it... but after that boss (some huge monster in a cave who spawned mobs) I rage-changed the difficulty to easy to avoid any further frustration.

JaseC

I wonder if they'll ever get around to improving their customer service. I have heard plenty of shitty stories and you'd think they would do better. I myself asked if it was possible to remove a game from my library and they said no and offered to remove all my games. What kind of sarcastic asshole suggestion is that?

Some here have had specific games removed in the past. Keep at it until your ticket lands on the desk of someone willing.

I had a gift removed from my inventory, but not a game from my library. Added the amount back to my steam wallet.

Arthea

Do you people know reasons behind not giving games from bundles you already own, as a giftable items?
I can't think of a single reason, except because they can.
Isn't it kinda mean also?

If you've played one hour, you've played the whole game. You'll be doing exactly the same thing in the same environments for the next 20 hours.

You missed the horrible, horrible ending. But you can catch that on youtube.

One of the few games that I preordered that absolutely burned me. Origins is fantastic, but they totally screwed up the 2nd one. I've heard good things about the 3rd, so we'll see where it goes.

Also, Tomb Raider is pretty awesome. It's like a more open-world uncharted. Lots of moaning though. Lara is having a rough go

ShaneB

I'm considering to buy L4D2 even though it's not on sale or anything. Checked steamsales but it seems like this game never goes on sale?

Anyway, the most important part: Is the activity still good for this game on PC? Don't wanna be hanging out with bots ;)

L4D2 goes on sale pretty often, so if you can hold off and save a little money, it couldn't hurt to wait :p That being said, the community is definitely still very active on pc, and even at full price, I'm sure you'll get your moneys worth if you buy it.

Dr Dogg

[edit: did you know origin launched in 2005 under the name EADM? Really puts in perspective how primitive and shitty it still is today, my account dates back to the first week when it was released.
Steam was shitty for the first 3 years but at least it got good eventually and keeps getting better.

Yep and that atrocious system ate 3 of my Battlefield games due to not being active for over 12 months despite logging in pretty much once a week.

BigAT

9yearseqrj1.png

Sup :p

Also the badge only seems to count from the official release, I had steam beta before it released but it doesn't seem to count it :\

Also: WON for life!
And don't forget to delete clientregistry.blob (points if you get both references)

edit: did you know origin launched in 2005 under the name EADM? Really puts in perspective how primitive and shitty it still is today, my account dates back to the first week when it was released.

Why such a late join date?

YOBQDXR.jpg

Nillansan

Dragon's Dogma PC is probably in the works.

Edit: My prognostication:

Announcing it in May would mean Capcom could show it off just a few weeks later at E3.

Yeah I remember this.

If I recall correctly, Capcom recently mentioned that QLOC was working on a couple of ports that they weren't ready to reveal just yet - Dragon's Dogma might be one of them. Remember Me is also a possibility, Capcom haven't revealed whether the PC version is done in-house at DontNod or outsourced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom