• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Awwww. I was hoping for most over the top thing. Jay Z's face on the main menu. Him reading off all the options as you mouse over them.

That would have been amazing. Especially if they even did it for like the grpahics options. I just imagined him saying each like resolution as I scrolled through them and I know that that would make my life feel more complete.

Grief.exe

Awwww. I was hoping for most over the top thing. Jay Z's face on the main menu. Him reading off all the options as you mouse over them.

Imagine Jay Z trying to say anisotropic filtering.

My guess is they approached him to put his name on the box, he probably had next to nothing to do with the actual game.

Dr Dogg

What was the difference between the Wii version and the recent 360/PS3 HD versions?

But yes I can't believe Capcom hasn't released a copy of RE4 on DD. With a good port this time, and I would love to see Steamworks for the pricing competition, and because I'm a sucker for achievements.

Missing a few fog effect but has the original geometry the GameCube/Wii versions had for trees and buildings. Updated in that it runs in native 16:9 widescreen and not vertically compressed anamorphic. Textures and content are as the same as the Wii version. The PC version that was ported by UbiSoft was a straight up PS2 conversion that omitted lighting and fog effects completely and had lower resolution textures. This was fixed as of a patch on UbiSofts site for the European version at least but it still has the lower detailed geometry models. There are some good mods for the PC version though so would be nice to see this get a proper release.

I would prefer a proper Wii port, but with 60 fps. The RE4 HD release was a complete waste.

It's 30fps on every system it's been on. Animations and physics are expecting that frame rate so that's why it's locked in. There was a 60fps mod in the works for PC but as you can expect they encountered some rather weird problems.

Nillansan

We got Alan Wake, Brütal Legend, Dark Souls, suddenly AoE2 on Steam seems possible... There is even this Vanquish/Bayonetta petition to pester Sega/Platinum until we see the Steam registry entries for them, etc.

One can hope Capcom will tag along!

Sorry about the delay, we are still working on the petition, I have messaged a mod to check if we are allowed to create a dedicated thread for the petition here on GAF.

Grief.exe

Looks like we are getting closer and closer to getting that full list of Steam database leaks.

Angry birds updated on Steam database: http://steamdb.info/app/210550/ Achievements

Fez updated on Steam DB: http://steamdb.info/app/224760/#section_subs (has purchase options)

Some more interesting updates:

America's Army: http://steamdb.info/app/203290/#section_subs Achivements

Civ V - Frankenstein: http://steamdb.info/app/221520/

Saint's Row Episode 4: http://steamdb.info/app/206420/#section_subs

Metro: Last Light: http://steamdb.info/app/43160/ Achievements

Tera: http://steamdb.info/app/212740/#section_subs Might be coming back to Steam, looks like its still only the EU version though. Is there a way for me to add this to my library through VPN?

Missing a few fog effect but has the original geometry the GameCube/Wii versions had for trees and buildings. Updated in that it runs in native 16:9 widescreen and not vertically compressed anamorphic. Textures and content are as the same as the Wii version. The PC version that was ported by UbiSoft was a straight up PS2 conversion that omitted lighting and fog effects completely and had lower resolution textures. This was fixed as of a patch on UbiSofts site for the European version at least but it still has the lower detailed geometry models. There are some good mods for the PC version though so would be nice to see this get a proper release.

It's 30fps on every system it's been on. Animations and physics are expecting that frame rate so that's why it's locked in. There was a 60fps mod in the works for PC but as you can expect they encountered some rather weird problems.

I also remember something about the slime not rendering correctly in the HD versions.

Sounds like we would want a PC version of the Wii port, similar controls, best geometry/textures, and no missing effects.

There are already texture packs for the Wii version. Probably won't be directly compatible, but the work could be converted.

30 FPS is kind of a downer though, I hate when developers tie animations to frame rate. It makes no sense.
Why not tie it to something that isn't variable, like seconds. Animation 1 takes .5 seconds to complete, not 15 frames.

Dr Dogg

Angry birds updated on Steam database: http://steamdb.info/app/210550/

With achievements

We are getting closer and closer to getting that full list of Steam leaks.

I also remember something about the slime not rendering correctly in the HD versions.

Sounds like we would want a PC version of the Wii port, similar controls, best geometry/textures, and no missing effects.

There are already texture packs for the Wii version. Probably won't be directly compatible, but the work could be converted.

30 FPS is kind of a downer though, I hate when developers tie animations to frame rate. It makes no sense.
Why not tie it to something that isn't variable, like seconds. Animation 1 takes .5 seconds to complete, not 15 frames.

I think the problem with wanting a Steam/PC HD re-release at 60fps is because it was targeted as a console game that who ever would be working on it would either have to start from scratch or use the version of MT Framework in RE5. That runs like a dream and has enough bells ans whistles in it as well as being very mod friendly. Just get rid of that abomination that is GFWL.

You got a pretty decent rig (your pics in the Dolphin thread from Metroid Prime were jaw dropping) so should have no problems getting decent performance out of it through Dolphin. Some of the HD texture packs released look incredibly sharp at 4x res. Even with my antiquated Q6600 I can still get near enough full speed.

Grief.exe

I think the problem with wanting a Steam/PC HD re-release at 60fps is because it was targeted as a console game that who ever would be working on it would either have to start from scratch or use the version of MT Framework in RE5. That runs like a dream and has enough bells ans whistles in it as well as being very mod friendly. Just get rid of that abomination that is GFWL.

You got a pretty decent rig (your pics in the Dolphin thread from Metroid Prime were jaw dropping) so should have no problems getting decent performance out of it through Dolphin. Some of the HD texture packs released look incredibly sharp at 4x res. Even with my antiquated Q6600 I can still get near enough full speed.

I have the Wii version ready to go for Dolphin actually!

I would just prefer playing a native PC port. When I have some time I am going to load up some HD textures and try it out. I'll make sure to post some pics as well.

I was playing through the first 15 minutes or so and was having a blast, game was running solid too. Just need to adjust my control system.

That would have been amazing. Especially if they even did it for like the grpahics options. I just imagined him saying each like resolution as I scrolled through them and I know that that would make my life feel more complete.

"Ambient Occlusion AY-O Holla!"

afaik it's a pretty shite port, effects from the console versions are missing

Nillansan

KNT-Zero

Fez updated on Steam DB: http://steamdb.info/app/224760/#section_subs (has purchase options)

Fucking FINALLY. I'm gonna play the shit out of this game....

BTW, new Groupees Bundle: Digital Game Factory

For $1:
- Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines & Beyond the Call of Duty (hidden nod? lol)
- Commandos 2
- Broken Sword 2
- Imperial Glory

Pay minimum of $4 and get Commandos 3, Broken Sword Directors Cut and Praetorians.
Also get Commandos 4 when 2500 bundles are sold.

Seems good. And almost everything is Steam-redeemable (except Imperial Glory and Praetorians)

StuBurns

Banned
Valve GAF, I need your help. I'm losing my mind. Very recently I heard an interview with Erik Wolpaw, possibly watched it, but not sure, but I heard it for sure, and he was talking about Portal 2, he talked about the length of a commentary node, and about something relating to a slightly different way the final sequence of Portal 2 plays out. I can't find the interview, I didn't listen to it on a podcast I downloaded on iTunes, and it's not a video I watched on YouTube, and outside of that, I really don't know where it could be. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tera: http://steamdb.info/app/212740/#section_subs Might be coming back to Steam, looks like its still only the EU version though. Is there a way for me to add this to my library through VPN?

You'll be able to install it simply by visiting a European storefront (e.g. http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ie) and clicking the "Play game" button. Arctic Combat is an example of a F2P game available on Steam EU but not AU and I can install it just fine.

Valve GAF, I need your help. I'm losing my mind. Very recently I heard an interview with Erik Wolpaw, possibly watched it, but not sure, but I heard it for sure, and he was talking about Portal 2, he talked about the length of a commentary node, and about something relating to a slightly different way the final sequence of Portal 2 plays out. I can't find the interview, I didn't listen to it on a podcast I downloaded on iTunes, and it's not a video I watched on YouTube, and outside of that, I really don't know where it could be. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

His NYU lecture, maybe?

Edit: I know you said it wasn't a YouTube clip. but there's also IGN's footage of the game's GDC Post Mortem in which Erik and Chet address many changes the game went through.

Salsa

In a strange turn of events ive been gaming on my PSP lately, and im going through a seconde playthrough of Silent Hill Shattered Memories (first time I played it on the Wii, wich I sold by now)

Game is so fucking good man. Wish it was on Steam, cant believe we're stuck with just Homecoming. Fucking Konami. Y'all should play it, it's like a triple A game but very much like an indie, original thing in it's core.

Firehead

In a strange turn of events ive been gaming on my PSP lately, and im going through a seconde playthrough of Silent Hill Shattered Memories (first time I played it on the Wii, wich I sold by now)

Game is so fucking good man. Wish it was on Steam, cant believe we're stuck with just Homecoming. Fucking Konami. Y'all should play it.

Weren't Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4 also on PC? Updated versions of them sure would be nice on Steam.

Salsa

Weren't Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4 also on PC? Updated versions of them sure would be nice on Steam.

Indeed

the thing is that Shattered Memories being a Wii/PS2/PSP game it got kind of a niche audience. They should have made an HD downloadable version for the consoles/PC or something.

super weird that they didnt, it did well critically

Game is so fucking good man. Wish it was on Steam, cant believe we're stuck with just Homecoming. Fucking Konami. Y'all should play it, it's like a triple A game but very much like an indie, original thing in it's core.

Shattered Memories stuck with me for a good 6 months after playing it. I should replay that game. Awesome atmosphere.

JaseC

How nicely do the games play with modern systems? Even if they're a bit finicky, Konami could just send them to over to CDPR to avoid the heavy lifting and then put the games up on Steam when the GOG exclusivity period comes to an end.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

One of my favorite Wii games, if not the one. It'd be a day one on Steam, though I'm not saying I wish it was released on PC, not at all! (port begging is bad guys, please don't do it!)

Grief.exe

You'll be able to install it simply by visiting a European storefront (e.g. http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ie) and clicking the "Play game" button. Arctic Combat is an example of a F2P game available on Steam EU but not AU and I can install it just fine.

Perfect.

Its only a client, so I should be able to just install and access the US servers.

Konami is starting to come around and release more of their games on PC.

We got Lords of Shadow 2 coming up, and hopefully the next iteration of the MGS series, then hopefully the floodgates open up!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
How nicely do the games play with modern systems? Even if they're a bit finicky, Konami could just send them to over to CDPR to avoid the heavy lifting and then put the games up on Steam when the GOG exclusivity period comes to an end.

SH2 is a bit of a bitch, it's very finicky with multi-core systems and requires a patched EXE that you have to dig around for to fix a sound loop error. It also hates other things running in the background. I tried streaming my copy once and the game threw all sorts of graphical and audio fits. Looks gorgeous once tweaked though, though I can't imagine Konami adding proper higher resolution support so a mod would still be needed there.

SH3 is really easy to deal with and only requires an FOV patch for widescreen users. It's fairly advanced technologically speaking, and even includes its own internal downsampling! A really great port.

SH4 is kind of a bust from what I hear. I don't have the PC version to test but I've heard tons of nightmares about crashes and bugs and general shittiness compared to SH2 and 3.

That said, I really wish Konami (And Tomm before he jumped ship) was able to get them on GoG or Steam asap. They could get a lot of money for those old versions instead of the new abomination "HD Collection" versions. I agree about Shattered Memories too. Such a good game, such a great play
on expectations

Salsa

I have a retail version of Silent Hill 2 PC and it was a pain in the butt even back when I played it. Pretty sure it was a one core CPU as well.

I bought the PS2 version like a month after

Perfect.

Its only a client, so I should be able to just install and access the US servers.

Konami is starting to come around and release more of their games on PC.

We got Lords of Shadow 2 coming up, and hopefully the next iteration of the MGS series, then hopefully the floodgates open up!

Man i would love MGS1,2,3 and 4 on steam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

What heavy lifting? Installing community patches?

JaseC

SH2 is a bit of a bitch, it's very finicky with multi-core systems and requires a patched EXE that you have to dig around for to fix a sound loop error. It also hates other things running in the background. I tried streaming my copy once and the game threw all sorts of graphical and audio fits. Looks gorgeous once tweaked though, though I can't imagine Konami adding proper higher resolution support so a mod would still be needed there.

SH3 is really easy to deal with and only requires an FOV patch for widescreen users. It's fairly advanced technologically speaking, and even includes its own internal downsampling! A really great port.

SH4 is kind of a bust from what I hear. I don't have the PC version to test but I've heard tons of nightmares about crashes and bugs and general shittiness compared to SH2 and 3.

That said, I really wish Konami (And Tomm before he jumped ship) was able to get them on GoG or Steam asap. They could get a lot of money for those old versions instead of the new abomination "HD Collection" versions. I agree about Shattered Memories too. Such a good game, such a great play
on expectations

Odd that SH4 is the most buggered out of the three, but then that's cheap-and-nasty PC ports for you.

What heavy lifting? Installing community patches?

It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it!

Man I just realized box puzzles are the thing I hate most in the world.

Soul Reaver why do you do this to me
Didn't you play the game previously? You should know there's more block pushing in this game than what it took to build Guiza. Puzzle variety is pretty slim here, only got stock for days in one part of the game and it had nothing to do with a puzzle.

Kind of weird that with your limited time you are opting to give this game a go XD

zkylon

zkylewd
Didn't you play the game previously? You should know there's more block pushing in this game than what it took to build Guiza. Puzzle variety is pretty slim here, only got stock for days in one part of the game and it had nothing to do with a puzzle.

Kind of weird that with your limited time you are opting to give this game a go XD
Rose tinted glasses, I guess.

Atmosphere holds up great, but the camera is giving me headaches and SO MANY FUCKING BLOCK PUSHING PUZZLES UGHGHHHHH

JaseC

Yes! Awesome, thank you. It must have been linked on GAF or something.

I've linked to it a bunch of times in the past when referencing the likelihood of the next version of Source (or, as we know it to be now, Source 2) supporting data streaming, as Wolpaw says early into the video that Valve wants to "fix" the need for loading screens.

Blizzard

Banned
Man I just realized box puzzles are the thing I hate most in the world.

Soul Reaver why do you do this to me
What's funny is I thought I had read something about box puzzles in this thread recently, about Soul Reaver, and I found your post:

So Soul Reaver hasn't aged all that well but art direction/music are still great.

I hope they cool it with the box pushing puzzles. I always hate those.
Also, prophetic:
Have fun with box pushing puzzles out the ass and an ancient 3D camera.

If you having performance problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but might I suggest that you take your resolution down to 1080p?

Grief.exe

I'm pretty sure I remember reading in one of the Mama Robotnik threads that the box puzzles are pretty heavy early on, but they stop appearing after a while.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there any way at all to make it so you launch Big Picture Mode when you hit the 360 guide button from any place in windows, instead of just when the steam window is active?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom