• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

man Bioshock sure has aged

not only graphics-wise, but the pacing is just kinda hilarious

in the first 15 minutes yo go from falling out of a plane to having super powers on an underwater city and just blindly accepting quests from this random dude

I specially like how the first thing you do is walk up to a needle, grab it, and stick it in your arm as if it was nothing. No explanation.

This made me crack up out loud.

FYC

Banned
I still haven't played it either, but judging from YouTube, the Singularity Cannon also looks enjoyable (if more traditional).

The Singularity Cannon is pretty badass. I really enjoyed it overall, makes me want to go back and play the rest of the series. Is Guerilla as big a pain in the ass to run as I've heard? I think that'd be more my cup of tea, since it's supposed to be a sandbox with the awesome destruction / physics that's also present in Armageddon.

Oh, and I played the Path to War DLC since it came with the bundle. Was okay, I guess, but I probably would have been angry had I payed $7 for it since it took me less than 50 minutes on normal. The new weapon that makes giant balls of debris from any wreckage around you and fires it was great though.

also I remember the part where you're just chillin picking an item and you turn around and there's a splicer RIGHT AT YOUR FACE

but I dont remember where it was, so now everytime I pick up an item I turn back immediatly :(

port is.. not good, really, but after some tweaks its not that bad either

im getting some stutter that feels more like frame skipping rather than a framerate drop. Downsampling and forcing AA, it looks good but some of the lighting and texture work is really rough. 2007 was quite a while ago, as it turns out.

You'll be standing in some water when that happens. I totally ruined that scare for myself the first time I played, I remember picking up the item, hearing an audio cue as if some shit was about to go down, but I kept staring at the wall to see if it triggers the event when I turned around. The splicer walked up behind me and his shadow was there on the wall in front of me, he doesn't do anything until you turn around.

zkylon

zkylewd

in the first 15 minutes yo go from falling out of a plane to having super powers on an underwater city and just blindly accepting quests from this random dude

I specially like how the first thing you do is walk up to a needle, grab it, and stick it in your arm as if it was nothing. No explanation.
rofl I was talking about that exact same thing with a friend.

Caerith

lol its not the serious guys. cost isn't an issue. I asked because im sure many of you have played it before, just needed some opinions.

Here are the recommendations I see on the store page:

A good game. Everyone needs to play it

Outstanding RPG with amazing characters, dialogue and story.

The villains are imposing and compelling, be it for their power, cunning or agressiveness.

Also, Kreia.

Here is my own:

Statement: KOTOR 2 is an excellent game.

Clarification: KOTOR 2 has excellent writing, characters, and atmosphere, but is actually a buggy, incomplete mess of a product.

Recommendation: The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod makes it considerably less buggy and incomplete.

Advisement: Still, be sure to save often, as it occasionally fastforwards through cutscenes and dialogue and, rarely, crashes to desktop. F4 is quick save, F5 is quick load, but be sure to save manually as well.

If you've played the first game, and are going to (install, mod, and) play this immediately, then by all means, get it. Otherwise, 90 cents is like a whole game during the sale.

This needle with this cool looking red gel. I'll just stick it into my wrist and see what happens. No one has to tell me. I'll just blindly do it. @_@

Nakayumi

This needle with this cool looking red gel. I'll just stick it into my wrist and see what happens. No one has to tell me. I'll just blindly do it. @_@

Haha, I just started playing this yesterday and this is exactly what crossed my mind. WHY would someone DO that? I get that he jumped into the bathysphere after the plane crash. I mean, there really was nowhere else to go. Pretty much all the events up to that needle-scene kind of make sense. But they should have at least made Atlas explain that a little bit more to make it more convincing.

Symphonic

bought sonic racing and put that shit on and damn it's great flying by whizzing speeds and just living the high life and finding out that flying is the same as driving AND BOATING or swimming i guess but not really cause you're in metal

but anyways the game is like whoosh and the maps are like wha and the character are like yeah and i'm really digging the graphics it's like sega has really learned from 2012 and pushed into 2013 the year of the graphics and really expanded on the beauty of all that is good in whatever it is that we try and make you know and then you just sort of play and get lost in the moment and you realize it's an hour since you started and that just sort of happens you know and when that happens with a game for me at least you know it's a good game

so i think sega sonic all stars transformed racing is great

MNC

Well by the time you've spent those few minutes in Rapture, witnessed the fucked-up ness of Splicers and the fact this shit exists under water, I think being Jack I'd also be 'well fuck all that' *SYRINGE SYRINGE*

bought sonic racing and put that shit on and damn it's great flying by whizzing speeds and just living the high life and finding out that flying is the same as driving AND BOATING or swimming i guess but not really cause you're in metal

but anyways the game is like whoosh and the maps are like wha and the character are like yeah and i'm really digging the graphics it's like sega has really learned from 2012 and pushed into 2013 the year of the graphics and really expanded on the beauty of all that is good in whatever it is that we try and make you know and then you just sort of play and get lost in the moment and you realize it's an hour since you started and that just sort of happens you know and when that happens with a game for me at least you know it's a good game

so i think sega sonic all stars transformed racing is great
I was already interested in the game given the high praise from many people here on GAF and other places, but I think this has really sold me on it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do either of the Sonic racing games have LAN play? I'd check myself but I don't have them installed.

MNC

Well by the time you've spent those few minutes in Rapture, witnessed the fucked-up ness of Splicers and the fact this shit exists under water, I think being Jack I'd also be 'well fuck all that' *SYRINGE SYRINGE*

Actually I withdraw this statement lol, who the fuck would do this.

I forgot though, does Atlas tell you to splice up?

Guess I'm waiting for nVidia to update their drivers or Nixxes to patch Tomb Raider!

Performance is pretty good, even on the highest settings (670 here) but dear lord, it crashes the whole time.

JaseC

yeah right like you have friends

I occasionally LAN with one of my mates; we fashioned GunGame (a CS mod) into a drinking game and it's a great way to get smashed. ;) In the past we typically began the night with a few games of Mario Kart 64, but he no longer has his N64 and Project64k hasn't behaved nicely the last few times we've tried it.

Salsa

I occasionally LAN with one of my mates; we fashioned GunGame (a CS mod) into a drinking game and it's a great way to get smashed. ;) In the past we typically began the night with a few games of Mario Kart 64, but he no longer has his N64 and Project64k hasn't behaved nicely the last few times we've tried it.

shut up they're all pillows with different pictures of saoirse ronan

Grief.exe

So Bishock 1 Steam version doesn't have any DRM other than Steam.
All other versions seem to use securom.

BioShock 2 has GFWL and securom.

I feel like I have to partition my drive with a fresh copy of windows just to install BioShock 2. Just dirty.

JaseC

Guess I'm waiting for nVidia to update their drivers or Nixxes to patch Tomb Raider!

Performance is pretty good, even on the highest settings (670 here) but dear lord, it crashes the whole time.

The patch with the improved implementation of TressFX seems to have come at a slight performance cost.

Before:
tr_sli_tressfx_onbgqqd.jpg

After:

Save us Based Nvidia Drivers.

shut up they're all pillows with different pictures of saoirse ronan

Excellent idea! :p

The patch with the improved implementation of TressFX seems to have come at a slight performance cost.

Before:

After:

Do we have an ETA for the drivers or are we just playing the waiting game? I doubt I'll have much time to play next week :/

FYC

Banned
Oh geez, the steam community hub for Age of Conan has a good amount of people taking screenshots of their female characters topless :lol

Completely forgot that was a thing, well let's give this game a shot

derFeef

Before:

After:

Excellent idea! :p

Damn, on my AMD cards the patch imrpoved performance. I guess compute is really crippled on nvidia cards.

MNC

I'm kind of turning around on Alan Wake. Instead of absolutely trying to kill every Taken (And having to restart quite a few times) I'll just play the survivalist and kill them off, actually use all of my resources (God, I love Flashbangs) and the gameplay is a lot more fun to experience. I'm at the start of Episode 6, and the game, with the included corniness but still interesting story, is actually really fun.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm kind of turning around on Alan Wake. Instead of absolutely trying to kill every Taken (And having to restart quite a few times) I'll just play the survivalist and kill them off, actually use all of my resources (God, I love Flashbangs) and the gameplay is a lot more fun to experience. I'm at the start of Episode 6, and the game, with the included corniness but still interesting story, is actually really fun.

As far as I'm concerned, Remedy can do no wrong. Alan Wake is one of my games of the generation. Just like Max Payne 1&2 before it.

Dr Dogg

I was playing both this and System Shock 2 the other day and funnily found SS2 a lot more intuitive despite being practically the same opening wise. Bare in mind though with BioShock the first 30 mins were used for the demo for both the pc and 360 so you can see they've tried to cram enough of the core game into that small section. As you say it totally fucks with the pacing and plausibility of the situation.

A brief rundown of the first 10 mins
Shit can't believe I've survived that plane crash. Best get out of the water, there might be sharks in here. Ohhhh look a big scary building in the middle of nowhere that isn't surrounded by fire. Well it looks a bit dark but... What the!?! Who turned on the lights? Oh well I'll just go down this lift and see whats... What was that sound? Looked like a deranged psycho trying to claw his way in. Good job this friendly guy has just chirped in on the radio who I now totally trust with my safety. Well he's right I need to defend myself so that handy wrench will do. Ohhh what's this a vending machine and with free goods. Score! Now for no understandable reason I'll just inject this weird blue coloured liquid into.... Argghhhh.

And this is held up as a bastion of good gameplay and story?

I think many people who didn't like Alan Wake played it "wrong". Not saying that there aren't legitimate complaints but if you play it as a regular shooter and/or on Normal difficulty, you'll never learn to appreciate it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
To be honest it feels like it was old even back in 2007 and I'm playing Bio2 which if I remember correctly did a lot of things to smooth out the shooting.

I still really like it, I must've beaten it like 3 or 4 times.

Also spear gun in Bio2 is sweet. All games should have spear guns.

Should I skip bioshock and start with 2? I preordered infinite from GMG and got both previous games, not played either.

Dr Dogg

I think many people who didn't like Alan Wake played it "wrong". Not saying that there aren't legitimate complaints but if you play it as a regular shooter and/or on Normal difficulty, you'll never learn to appreciate it.

The only bad thing about Alan Wake for me was the god awful lip synching and fucking Alice. Urghhh
after all her moaning I'm glad she got sucked into that lake. Sadly the game made me go rescue her.

masterkajo

Should I skip bioshock and start with 2? I preordered infinite from GMG and got both previous games, not played either.

I don't know about the PC ports but I personally like the story and atmosphere of Bioshock 1 more but the gameplay of the second a bit better. But I would highly recommnd to play both starting with the first. They are both really awesome games.

Aselith

Wow, I bought Ticket to Ride and it is FUCKING HORRIBLE. None of the buttons work. Like I try to go to a game and it says to press go but won't let me press go. And I go to the options screen and all of the options are nonsense pictures with no tooltips. Also, I went in to the online game list and tried to join a game and every damn game said I didn't have the map but I have all of the DLC for it.

What a piece of shit. Do not buy.

Edit: Ok, it finally started working I guess you have to wait for a person to joing before you start a game with matchmaking but it doesn't let you know that in any way. And I started being able to join lobbies for a reason I don't know. It just happened.

MNC

Pretty much through. I started on Hard, playing it No HUD and the gameplay was the thing that bugged me the most the first half. Adjusted the way I play and it's much more enjoyable. But the facial animations are still horrid regardless :p

M.D

I just opened Steam to find out a big green bar with asking me if *insert email* is still my email and telling to me verify it (which I did)

Is this something they do from time to time for security purposes or did someone try to hack my account? The email says "In order to help maintain the security of your Steam account, please verify your email address by clicking the following link:"

Dr Dogg

I just opened Steam to find out a big green bar with asking me if *insert email* is still my email and telling to me verify it (which I did)

Is this something they do from time to time for security purposes or did someone try to hack my account? The email says "In order to help maintain the security of your Steam account, please verify your email address by clicking the following link:"

I've had it once when I've done a CCleaner sweep and cleaned up some registry entry's but that was without Steam Guard enabled. Get a popup saying access from a new computer from my laptop every time when I try to use their website but this thing has totally had it.

I think Alan Wake does its own design a disservice by making Normal the highest difficulty you can choose from the start (unless you accessed the developer menu, but that was not an option in the 360 release). It's not until Nightmare that the mechanics truly start feeling like they make sense and that the flashlight is something more than an arbitrary buffer before you can damage enemies. The game would be even better if it highly limited the batteries you could find, I ended up hoarding them in Nightmare even though I didn't need to, they were still plentiful, but making them scarce would have placed more importance on "flashing" with it instead of held focus.

Ledsen

Bioshock 2 is a pale imitation of the first one at best. Skip the second one is my advice, or at most play the purportedly awesome DLC.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Bioshock 2 is a pale imitation of the first one at best. Skip the second one is my advice, or at most play the purportedly awesome DLC.

The surprise of Rapture is admittedly gone with the sequel but as an actual game I'd say it pretty comfortably beats the original Bioshock tbh. They made many great improvements and I found it much more fun to actually play. It also gets better as it goes along whilst I found Bioshock just got worse and worse after a certain point. Bioshock 2s story is pretty good as well though Minervas Den pretty easily beats both main games IMO.

Sorry but I find this a horrible advice. Both games were great. I would say give both an equal chance. Didn't get the chance to play the DLC for Bioshock 2 though. Got to get that soon.

Tizoc

Just aheads up that Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is going for $3.74 on GMG, the DLC is also on sale for 0.79 although the DLC is for multiplayer. If you haven't tried this game yet and like match 3 now'd be a good chance to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom