• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

You will only think Bioshock 1 & 2's stories are alike if you've only played 2 for like an hour. I know this because I was one of those people. It's only because you think "Oh this gal is like Andrew Ryan, oh here's this Atlas type guy. EVERYTHING'S THE SAAAAAAAAME."

Also Braid never becomes interesting until the final level. And when you thought you had the story figured out
Oh my God, I'm not saving my girlfriend. My girlfriend is actually going away from me. You've read all of Tim's monologues/letters about him and his girlfriend and how they broke up. And that's how it is! They broke up and she doesn't want to get back to him.
But then it tries to become to deep and
becomes an opinion on nuclear warfare?
I'm just really a dumb guy so I hated that take and liked the first one much better.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
How long until Braid gets good it feels pretty boring and slow.
It's only as slow as your brain.

j/k it seems really clever at first, but pretty soon it's like "oooh, I get it... it was hard to see because it wasn't a puzzle so much as it's just a total bitch to perform even when you know what to do so I didn't think to even try such an absurd method..."

Bauhaus

Banned
It's only as slow as your brain.
what are you insinuating?

The game looks good but the novelty wears off very quikly, the music feels out of place.
The platforming and puzzle sections are nothing special and there's not a unique use of the character's special abilities.

shiptoncraig

Neo Member
Bioshock 2 is a pale imitation of the first one at best. Skip the second one is my advice, or at most play the purportedly awesome DLC.

Playing it was more fun than the original, but I just couldn't get the low-budget side story thing out of my mind while playing it. I think it depends if you're the sort of person who cares about production values or not.

Quite a while and unfortunately it never loses its pretentious visual style.

Chronoja

Just aheads up that Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is going for $3.74 on GMG, the DLC is also on sale for 0.79 although the DLC is for multiplayer. If you haven't tried this game yet and like match 3 now'd be a good chance to get it.

The Ubisoft Sales are up now though they sometimes don't appear on the GMG front page

Most of them, if not all are Steam keys and all of them receive additional 20% discount from GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'd also give a strong shoutout for Dark Messiah Might and Magic. A really great first person melee based game and what Arkane did before Dishonored (though in many ways I prefer Dark Messiah). With the 20% off you can get it for £2 as well and that's well worth getting for that price even if you end up hating it!

Nakayumi

What's with all the Braid hate? I admit it's not for everyone, but the puzzles were pretty damn good I thought. And I personally loved the narrative that accompanied the story, even if the whole
nuclear bomb critique
at the end was rather far-fetched and unnecessary.

Just beat Thomas Was Alone, which I'd put in the same box as Braid, and I gotta say that I absolutely loved it. Is this one seen as too artsy as well? Kind of curious on the general opinion here.

Chronoja

I actually do :)
I get that it's a "brainy" game and that it gets hard very fast but boring? I remember my heart racing at the end of that final level. Brilliant game imho.

I don't know, when a game has an item that can only be reached by waiting for 2 hours real time for a cloud to move, I think boring is a term that is valid. (I know it's optional, I liked braid but I drew the line at waiting for that damn cloud)

Isaccard

I'd love to play Bioshock 2 but, GFWL

patch it out and I'm in there

Edit: I think I've asked this before but is Crysis 2 worth playing?

Blizzard

Banned
Sleeping Dogs is the daily @ $9.99
Quick Sleeping Dogs questions:

1. It says you're an undercover cop. Can you play the game as a "good" character taking down criminals, as opposed to the GTA style of being on the other side?

2. Do cars often drive in the streets? In the screenshots I would see, the streets typically looked almost completely empty of pedestrians or cars, which seemed kind of strange if you yourself are driving around.

3. Are there any recommendations about which DLC is good, if any? Even with the 75% discount, the main game is $10 and the DLC all together is like $17. :|

Chronoja

I can't see it from here in Canada but do they have Anno 2070?

No Anno 2070. I'll list the titles and prices that I can see in the U.K. There's a good chance that the sale just isn't supposed to be visible yet since it rarely shows up on the front page, so I wouldn't get too worried if you can't see the page yet.

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic - £9.99
Heroes of Might and Magic V - £6.95
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes - £7.99
- I am the Boss DLC - £1.95
Heroes of Might and Magic VI Deluxe - £19.99
Babel Rising - £7.99
-Babel Rising: Sky is the Limit DLC - £2.39
From Dust - £11.99

erm, it maybe seems like the discounts have been removed? Yeah, somethings up, the prices seem to have reverted to their pre-sale state.

Giran

1. It says you're an undercover cop. Can you play the game as a "good" character taking down criminals, as opposed to the GTA style of being on the other side?

2. Do cars often drive in the streets? In the screenshots I would see, the streets typically looked almost completely empty of pedestrians or cars, which seemed kind of strange if you yourself are driving around.

3. Are there any recommendations about which DLC is good, if any? Even with the 75% discount, the main game is $10 and the DLC all together is like $17. :|

1. Not really. There are some police missions, but the whole point is the main character's inner struggle about falling to the dark side.

2. There are more cars than in GTA4.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
How is it an imitation of the first when the stories are nothing alike?

I get some of the complaints about Bioshock 2, yes it was a retread in the sense that you return to Rapture, and I see how some people saw it as 2K simply cashing in on the success of the first game. But couldn't you say all of that about a lot of sequels? Most of them are iterative like that. It may not of had as many memorable locales or set pieces as the first game, but the mechanics were refined and expanded quite a bit and I enjoyed visiting Rapture one more time. It was a good game. A third Rapture-based Bioshock would have been overkill, but I'm glad we got a sequel.

On a different note, I feel like I'm in a tiny minority here, but I found Sleeping Dogs to be a pretty unremarkable game. Not bad by any means, but I do not get the gushing love for it.

Megasoum

Banned
No Anno 2070. I'll list the titles and prices that I can see in the U.K. There's a good chance that the sale just isn't supposed to be visible yet since it rarely shows up on the front page, so I wouldn't get too worried if you can't see the page yet.

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic - £9.99
Heroes of Might and Magic V - £6.95
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes - £7.99
- I am the Boss DLC - £1.95
Heroes of Might and Magic VI Deluxe - £19.99
Babel Rising - £7.99
-Babel Rising: Sky is the Limit DLC - £2.39
From Dust - £11.99

erm, it maybe seems like the discounts have been removed?

Thanks. And yeah not really a time thing. GMG doesn't sell Ubisoft games to North America.

Blizzard

Banned
1. Not really. There are some police missions, but the whole point is the main character's inner struggle about falling to the dark side.

2. There are more cars than in GTA4.
Thank you sir. I'm not really interested in the falling to the dark side thing, nor the violence, and that combined with 30 pieces of DLC probably just means it's not a game for me. =P

bigace33

I've had the game for quite some time now, and I still ask myself this question. Horribly overrated game in my opinion, but I do respect the hard work that obviously went into it. Hopefully this guys next game will be more interesting.

MRORANGE

1. You are mostly undercover, so you just do drug busts and other things in disguise, it's mostly being undercover in the triads and some evidence collecting.

2. Yes cars are everywhere, PC versions has an option to scale how many npcs/cars onscreen I think.

3. Play the game now, get all dlc later at another sale.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thank you sir. I'm not really interested in the falling to the dark side thing, nor the violence, and that combined with 30 pieces of DLC probably just means it's not a game for me. =P

Technically you're the good guy in Sleeping Dogs but I must have murdered thousands of civilians throughout the course of the game. Wei is Hong Kong's greatest monster.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Nightmare in North Point and The Zodiac Tournament are the only two content-expanding pieces of DLC, although the latter is nothing more than a small collection of fighting mini-missions not unlike those already in the game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who didn't like BioShock? I only played like 2 or 3 hours of it, but except for the first 10 minutes, it was a complete drag, with horrible gameplay and shooting mechanics.

Does it get better? Should I force myself to continue? I liked the setting and story, but everything else was just awful.

sprinkles

Pretty sure everyone has this game, if not then you should totally get it.
I would love to, but obvious pricing differences (9,99$ in the US Store, 12,49€ for me) mixed with the cut version in the German store make a good case against the purchase. Any US Gaffer willing to gift the game to me (I can Paypal immediately)?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Anyone having problems with loading the steam store? Down for me.
Me.

Sorry
The Steam Store is experiencing some heavy load right now. Please try again later.

Error 503 Service Unavailable
XID: 1001503967
It's also saying it can't synchronize with the cloud when I try to start Sonic Generations, which sucks because I'm specifically achievement hunting in it.

eidt: restarting Steam didn't do anything but rebooting the computer fixed the cloud warning I was getting. Store is loading intermittently.

Grief.exe

I just got done playing Sleeping Dogs and the game is seriously amazing.

If you are on the fence and thinking about buying, go out and get it. You will not be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom