• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

bought a couple Bioshock Infinite copies for people today and I seem to still not be blocked from PP, so yeah, reminder if anyone wants the cheaper $45 price

zkylon

zkylewd
Should I skip bioshock and start with 2? I preordered infinite from GMG and got both previous games, not played either.
Sorry for late but probably not.

Bioshock is at least a pretty big milestone in modern gaming history, for better or worse, so it warrants its own play.

Bio2 improved the gameplay a lot but some of it feels kind of redundant, even if it's overall better.

I'd suggest you play both, really, if you don't mind some clunkyness.

Lizardus

It's disgusting how steam won't let me add multiple pieces of DLC at once. I have to hit "Continue Shopping" which takes me back to front page.

Presco

Any must have Sleeping Dogs DLC? I jumped back into the game yesterday and had tons of fun so I'm looking to maybe grab a few packs. Looks to be tons of cosmetic stuff; are there any missions aside from Nightmare in North Point?

lmpaler

How is Sleeping Dogs on the PC? I played the demo on the PS3 and it seemed pretty fun, looks like they actually gave the PC some love with the gfx too so that is a plus

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
How is Sleeping Dogs on the PC? I played the demo on the PS3 and it seemed pretty fun, looks like they actually gave the PC some love with the gfx too so that is a plus
Definitely go for the PC version. Looks gorgeous with the free high res texture pack and performs greatly. I suggest playing with a controller too, but that's a given.

Grief.exe

You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't play this game on PC and you are doing yourself an even greater disservice if you don't play this game.

Chronoja

It's disgusting how steam won't let me add multiple pieces of DLC at once. I have to hit "Continue Shopping" which takes me back to front page.

Agreed, mass buying through the website is easier. Open all the items you want to buy in new tabs, click add to cart on all of them.

I do wish they'd focus on improving the client navigation in regards to things like this instead of pushing all these new, somewhat superfluous community features/redesigns etc.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Amazing. I have the joy of replaying it still waiting for me since I lost my 10 hour save during a HDD failure (silver lining was replacing with SSD). I wasn't too far in so it's still going to be new enough for me, but those 10 hours were enough for me to fall in love with the game, and it is beautiful on PC.

Dr Dogg

Well got it both on PC and PS3 and the difference in visuals and controls (if your a m&k type) are night and day. It does seam geared towards AMD cards at the high end of the setting but I get in and around 60-90 fps most places at max baring a few AA settings on a Q6600, 4gb and a 480 so on more modern tech this should purr.

Village

I just got steam today, seems interesting. When i have some money or when prices get low I hope to buy things. I hope steam keeps being enjoyable. This is my official start in pc gaming as well.

Dr Dogg

Urgghh. Do you know one function Steam desperately needs? Hide or at least highlight DLC you already own on the corresponding store page. Painfully had to go through every item in the Sleepy Dawgs list to see what I had already and almost bought stuff I did that said I didn't own it due to being retail preorder bonuses.

xelios

Urgghh. Do you know one function Steam desperately needs? Hide or at least highlight DLC you already own on the corresponding store page. Painfully had to go through every item in the Sleepy Dawgs list to see what I had already and almost bought stuff I did that said I didn't own it due to being retail preorder bonuses.

Agreed. In the meantime the Enhanced Steam extension for Chrome does this, though it doesn't always work correctly. It does show I own all the Sleepy Dogs DLC though.

Edit: Beaten by a badger

Dr Dogg

Enhanced Steam chrome addon

I would recommend the Firefox version too but it's very buggy right now.

Cheers dude, I'll check it out. One problem that might bring me to tears is that apparently it will be "* Showing you how much money you've spent on Steam for the lifetime of your account".

xelios

Cheers dude, I'll check it out. One problem that might bring me to tears is that apparently it will be "* Showing you how much money you've spent on Steam for the lifetime of your account".

Yep, because for most people that amount will actually be less than they've spent, due to keys not being counted in the total. Details here.

Ok, so what does GAF think of WadjetEye games?

I've started playing Resonance and so far it seems neat. A nice throwback to the games I used to play on the comp.

Are most of their games like this? I have Gemini Rue and all the Blackwell games so I was thinking if I shouldn't get to play these and trim down my never-ending backlog a bit!

louiedog

It does show an amount spent on your account details page, but I'm not sure if it actually adds up the amounts from your store transactions (and possibly gift transactions?) or if it's just an inflated number based on retail value like all the websites that try to tell you your account value. The amount shown for me is almost half that of said websites though, so I'm guessing it adds up the transaction totals.

It's the actual number from adding up everything in the store transactions section of your account history. It doesn't count anything from redeemed keys or gifts.

My Half-Life 2 Bronze purchase from 2004 is listed as complimentary, so that's $50 off. I'm not sure if that's just a HL2 thing, or if that also applies to more purchases from that era as well, but my account is accurate to at least 2009. That's when I started buying on Steam aside from HL2.

xelios

It's the actual number from adding up everything in the store transactions section of your account history. It doesn't count anything from redeemed keys or gifts.

My Half-Life 2 Bronze purchase from 2004 is listed as complimentary, so that's $50 off. I'm not sure if that's just a HL2 thing, or if that also applies to more purchases from that era as well, but other than that the count should be accurate for purchases made on Steam itself.

Edit: Figured it out and explained in my other post

louiedog

I've started playing Resonance and so far it seems neat. A nice throwback to the games I used to play on the comp.

Are most of their games like this? I have Gemini Rue and all the Blackwell games so I was thinking if I shouldn't get to play these and trim down my never-ending backlog a bit!

They're all fairly similar thanks to being built with Adventure Game Studio and being put out by Wadjet Eye, but Gemini Rue, Resonance, and the Blackwell series were all developed by different studios and definitely feel differently once you play them. If Resonance scratches that itch for you, I think the others will as well. I grew up with LucasArts adventure games and it certainly did that for me.

My girlfriend and I have been playing through the Blackwell games for the first time over the last few weeks and we're enjoying them. Each one is 2.5-3.5 hours I think if that helps with your backlog.

I also liked Resonance quite a bit. I don't know if anyone had done a system similar to the STM/LTM before, but it was new to me. I still haven't finished Gemini Rue. I should do that.

Ouch. I suspected as much. Steam Store Gift Transactions section included or not? I don't think I spent as much as it says on just my own account, but if that's included it'd probably be accurate.

I'm not sure if it counts things you've gifted. I have an account with just a few purchases which is why it was easy for me to add them up and check it against the extension's count. No gifts though.

graywolf323

It does show an amount spent on your account details page, but I'm not sure if it actually adds up the amounts from your store transactions (and possibly gift transactions?) or if it's just an inflated number based on retail value like all the websites that try to tell you your Steam account value. The amount shown for me is almost half that of said websites though, so I'm guessing it actually adds up the transaction totals, which would be less than you spent considering keys bought elsewhere. You can also disable that feature in the options, apparently. If anyone knows more about the mechanics feel free to clarify.

I think that also leads to some double counts if you've loaded money into your Steam wallet

xelios

Just checked. Steam Wallet funds being added do NOT affect the total, so there are no inaccuracies caused by this.

Gift transactions ARE counted.

As a result the accurate total you've spent on Steam would be the amount shown plus the price you paid for any keys redeemed and help/gifts bought from individuals, minus any gifting/regional pricing help you did with someone elses funds. This makes me feel a bit better about my amount since I've helped people with regional pricing many, many times. For most people the amount shown will actually be less than they've spent, due to keys.

Re: Enhanced Steam extension, "Total Spent" in Steam account details.

louiedog

I'll check with a small dlc purchase.

You could try asking the author. He's probably very reachable if there's an email address on the extension in the chrome store. He's jshackles on cheapassgamer.com and he posts there regularly. I think there's even a thread for his extension somewhere on that forum. edit: here

Dr Dogg

It does show an amount spent on your account details page, but I'm not sure if it actually adds up the amounts from your store transactions (and possibly gift transactions?) or if it's just an inflated number based on retail value like all the websites that try to tell you your Steam account value. The amount shown for me is almost half that of said websites though, so I'm guessing it actually adds up the transaction totals, which would be less than you spent considering keys bought elsewhere. You can also disable that feature in the options, apparently. If anyone knows more about the mechanics feel free to clarify.

Yeah I've just had a play round and just to clarify it adds up exactly the same as what the store transactions page comes to. Went through just to see some stupid purchases I've made over the years and dug up these gems.

Arkham City @ £27.99
Deus Ex: HR @ £29.99
Rage @ £29.99
COD MW2 @ £29.99 and then went on sale the very next day
F1 2010 @ £24.99

Still that's offset by total bargains like this:

28 Nov 2010 The Orange Box, World of Goo @ £6.00

Don't know how much World of Goo was but even if it was £1 then £5 for The Orange Box is insane.

Salsa

ive played all of them except Primordia. They're great, and yeah very much alike.

What's funny is that most people think Wadjeteye is a regular developer, but its actually more of a publisher. There's different groups that make different games, im not sure about the specifics but for example Gemini Rue might be made by completely different people than Resonance, and so on. They all the games seem very alike.

That's why they put out games at a pretty fast rate.

I actually do :)
I get that it's a "brainy" game and that it gets hard very fast but boring? I remember my heart racing at the end of that final level. Brilliant game imho.

I don't understand either. It's a game that cuts all the fat and never ever repeats a single puzzle, which are also non-trivial for the most part. I also don't understand the "math" (which I also love) comment, since the game doesn't have any... So now, anything that requires someone to think for a bit is automatically hateful?

I don't know, when a game has an item that can only be reached by waiting for 2 hours real time for a cloud to move, I think boring is a term that is valid. (I know it's optional, I liked braid but I drew the line at waiting for that damn cloud)

I had to Google what the hell you're talking about, and I completed the game 100% (all puzzle pieces, true ending). You're speaking of a joke extra that is impossible to know about unless you saw it online; that goes well beyond the concept of "optional". You draw the line at something that you're not even supposed to know it exists, because you read about it online? Sure, go ahead.

Pretentious visual style?

What the hell does that even mean?

It meas they acknowledge it's artistically solid but they don't like it. "Pretentious" and "overrated" are simply better-sounding words for "I don't like but I can't be bothered to argument why". Better sounding, but with the exact same content.

Zeth

I'm having bad luck with SteamMover. I'm trying to move installs from my primary SSD to my storage drive. But when I install the games, they start downloading instead of recognizing the existing files. Urgh!

I'm having bad luck with SteamMover. I'm trying to move installs from my primary SSD to my storage drive. But when I install the games, they start downloading instead of recognizing the existing files. Urgh!

Let Steam create the library folder (i guess it must have already now). Then just copy over the files using explorer to the new drive's SteamLibrary's common folder. Then install to that drive on steam.

SteamMover just moves the files and creates a symlink in the primary Library location. If you do that, you shouldn't reinstall. Steam will just point to the right location when you boot it up again.

Zeth

Let Steam create the library folder (i guess it must have already now). Then just copy over the files using explorer to the new drive's SteamLibrary's common folder. Then install to that drive on steam.

SteamMover just moves and creates a symlink in the primary Library location.

Thank you! I will attempt this. So I can just manually move them if all else fails, and Steam should recognize it just the same. Note: I do already have a steam library on the storage drive/regularly install games to it, so I didn't know what was up.

Thank you! I will attempt this. So I can just manually move them if all else fails, and Steam should recognize it just the same. Note: I do already have a steam library on the storage drive/regularly install games to it, so I didn't know what was up.

Yeah, copy the files, then delete local files on Steam, then tell it to reinstall onto the new drive. (Just be sure you have them in the right place!) The reinstall will just check the files.

*Not every single game will let you install to a different drive.

Zeth

Yeah, copy the files, then delete local files on Steam, then tell it to reinstall onto the new drive. (Just be sure you have them in the right place!) The reinstall will just check the files.

*Not every single game will let you install to a different drive.

OK, cool. Yeah I'm trying it with multiple games to make sure it's not unique.

ive played all of them except Primordia. They're great, and yeah very much alike.

What's funny is that most people think Wadjeteye is a regular developer, but its actually more of a publisher. There's different groups that make different games, im not sure about the specifics but for example Gemini Rue might be made by completely different people than Resonance, and so on. They all the games seem very alike.

That's why they put out games at a pretty fast rate.

They're all fairly similar thanks to being built with Adventure Game Studio and being put out by Wadjet Eye, but Gemini Rue, Resonance, and the Blackwell series were all developed by different studios and definitely feel differently once you play them. If Resonance scratches that itch for you, I think the others will as well. I grew up with LucasArts adventure games and it certainly did that for me.

My girlfriend and I have been playing through the Blackwell games for the first time over the last few weeks and we're enjoying them. Each one is 2.5-3.5 hours I think if that helps with your backlog.

I also liked Resonance quite a bit. I don't know if anyone had done a system similar to the STM/LTM before, but it was new to me. I still haven't finished Gemini Rue. I should do that.

Thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, they feel VERY similar so it must be the engine or WadjetEye knows who to pick up to maintain a very solid/homogeneous catalog.

Guess I'll keep playing them all so I can count these out of my backlog!

I'm calling this the GAF Backlog therapy although odds are I'll always end up picking more stuff later...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Xelios is a great guy.

Great guy, deleted me for no reason but it's not really something I'm hurt about. I actually asked about him the other day as he was always in Steam chat but I don't see him anymore and he's not on my friends list so I was deleted.

Isaccard

Great guy, deleted me for no reason but it's not really something I'm hurt about. I actually asked about him the other day as he was always in Steam chat but I don't see him anymore and he's not on my friends list so I was deleted.

Yet you felt compelled to bring it up.

cognitive dissonance?

gogojira

Trying really hard to convince myself that Primal Carnage isn't something I'd want, but it's only $5. Is that game worth a damn and is the community active in any regard? SO TEMPTED

I installed Windows 7 on a new HDD, updated the system and then I installed the latest AMD driver. Now every time I reboot I get a MOM.exe problem.

Already tried re-installing CCC, does anyone know a posible solution?

Edit: Nevermind. I think I solved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom