• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Trying really hard to convince myself that Primal Carnage isn't something I'd want, but it's only $5. Is that game worth a damn and is the community active in any regard? SO TEMPTED

If you don't mind me asking, where is it only $5 ?

EDIT - Ah never mind, it's the weekly deal on Steam this week!

Dr Dogg

I installed Windows 7 on a new HDD, updated the system and then I installed the latest AMD driver. Now every time I reboot I get a MOM.exe problem.

Already tried re-installing CCC, does anyone know a posible solution?

I had serious issues with AMD's latest drivers on my laptop. Was listed as an ATI card which was my issue. Half the time the display would be cutting in and out. I had to go to HP's site (slowest downloads in the world ever) and get the original packaged drives just to get CCC to work but updated fine through that.

I had serious issues with AMD's latest drivers on my laptop. Was listed as an ATI card which was my issue. Half the time the display would be cutting in and out. I had to go to HP's site (slowest downloads in the world ever) and get the original packaged drives just to get CCC to work but updated fine through that.

Well, these are the kind of problems I expect from AMD :/

I just installed Microsoft.NET Framework 4 and looks like the problem is gone. Thanks btw.

Blizzard

Banned
I havent spent a cent yet, i suppose that's to change the longer i stay on steam
The simplest rules of thumb are to not buy a game unless it's at least 75% off, and/or not buy it unless you REALLY plan to play it in the next week/month. If you can afford more and don't mind accumulating games then of course you can do whatever, but those practices will help you out. :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The simplest rules of thumb are to not buy a game unless it's at least 75% off, and/or not buy it unless you REALLY plan to play it in the next week/month. If you can afford more and don't mind accumulating games then of course you can do whatever, but those practices will help you out. :)
SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

The proper thing to do is buy everything you can until you get to 300 games or so. Only then can you begin to wonder whether it all was a huge waste of money. But of course you'll be in too deep by that time, and there's no way back, so you keep buying and buying in the hopes that you'll get at least one game that interests you and you play, hopefully finishing it someday.

But no, there's no golden game at the end of Gaben's rainbow, and so you keep purchasing more stuff, maybe even getting to what experts like to call "JaseC's Point", which consists on buying paraphernalia barely related to the game itself, but which increases your games count on Steam, such as Prima guides and soundtracks. All in the quest for that magic, unique game. Which doesn't exist. Everything was in vain, and when you're in your deathbed, lying immobile over the sheets and besides your notebook plagued with unplayed Steam games bought in prior sales, you'll realise that the time you wasted reading, discussing, researching and more importantly, buying games, could have been better used in actually playing something, anything really. Your account will be worth thousands of dollars, but you wouldn't have touched even 5% of everything you have hoarded over the years. And now would be too late to make ammends, as you need 3 or 4 lifetimes to get through all the games you have. It's too late, my friend. You've been Steamed with the full force of the mighty sales, deep discounts and incredible bundles.

Welcome to Steam.

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

The proper thing to do is buy everything you can until you get to 300 games or so. Only then can you begin to wonder whether it all was a huge waste of money. But of course you'll be in too deep by that time, and there's no way back, so you keep buying and buying in the hopes that you'll get at least one game that interests you and you play, hopefully finishing it someday.

But no, there's no golden game at the end of Gaben's rainbow, and so you keep purchasing more stuff, maybe even getting to what experts like to call "JaseC's Point", which consists on buying paraphernalia barely related to the game itself, but which increases your games count on Steam, such as Prima guides and soundtracks. All in the quest for that magic, unique game. Which doesn't exist. Everything was in vain, and when you're in your deathbed, lying immobile over the sheets and besides your notebook plagued with unplayed Steam games bought in prior sales, you'll realise that the time you wasted reading, discussing, researching and more importantly, buying games, could have been better used in actually playing something, anything really. Your account will be worth thousands of dollars, but you wouldn't have touched even 5% of everything you have hoarded over the years. And now would be too late to make ammends, as you need 3 or 4 lifetimes to get through all the games you have. It's too late, my friend. You've been Steamed with the full force of the mighty sales, deep discounts and incredible bundles.

Welcome to Steam.

The resumed version: Steam Library Enlargement (c) OR, Game Count, our own Steam-based Gamerscore!

Dr Dogg

Well when you have a library of zero those first few sales are magical and you're like a pig in shit. You can easily pick up 100 games for £140/$200 and be done. It's when you get to the stage, like most of us that you have everything you want and more that you become some jaded penny counter that won't budge unless it's hit rock bottom.

Grief.exe

My backlog is whittling down little by little.

At my current rate, I will be near the end of my backlog by the end of the year.

I only pick up games if I am planning on playing them immediately.

Like Miasmata, I really want to play that game, but I probably won't get to it for at least a couple months so I passed.

http://backloggery.com/Grief_exe

Helmholtz

what are you insinuating?

The game looks good but the novelty wears off very quikly, the music feels out of place.
The platforming and puzzle sections are nothing special and there's not a unique use of the character's special abilities.
Are you playing the game right? Not trying to be a dick, but the goal is to get all the puzzle pieces. I know some people aren't aware of that right away. Each chapter adds brand new mechanics that dramatically change up the gameplay. Personally I thought most of the puzzles were brilliant, and I really enjoyed the art and music. The narrative is take it or leave it, but the rest was fantastic in my opinion. It's probably my favourite indie game, at least it's up there with Super Meat Boy. Just some really solid and unique mechanics.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Great guy, deleted me for no reason but it's not really something I'm hurt about. I actually asked about him the other day as he was always in Steam chat but I don't see him anymore and he's not on my friends list so I was deleted.

A lot of people were deleted when I did a mass purge twice, due to having way too many adds from people for the sole purpose of help with regional pricing during sales, combined with me not using the tagging feature appropriately.

Nothing was done on a personal level; some people just got caught in the clumps, and since I believe the first one was around 220 removes it's not surprising. It was my fault though and I've felt bad about some of the careless removals, so I've had to do a lot of readding and tagging since then, and the occasional reassuring someone I didn't hate them in the process. =p I was pretty sure I added back most if not all of GAF chat, but as I haven't been in there much at all since December (?) apparently I didn't.

oipic

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

Welcome to Steam.

So true, and so well put, Rionaa. Perhaps this should be a disclaimer/warning/heads-up posted in the next sale thread OT?

Still, it is a lesson that must be learned, not proferred.

Once the money is spent, it is spent, and from that point, the true cost of a backlog is in time - if anyone wants a good giggle, punch even a portion of your backlog into howlongtobeat.com, and feel the true burden that follows many a gluttonous Steam sale.

Incidentally, I've just started Planescape: Torment, knowing full well it's a time sink that will do nothing to ease the Steam backlog situation. I probably would've started it years ago if it were on Steam...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Xelios, please don't ever delete me, I always enjoy reading your Steam recommendations. I've based actual purchases on that stuff.

TheNatural

My Member!
SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

Welcome to Steam.

I wish there was a sort of Steam gambling system. Like you play someone in some Hold Em tourney and put up so many of your backlog games against so many of someone elses, or against hats or whatever, with equal value all around, and a house cut absorbs a game or two out of the backlog.

Shit, at least then you could get some usage out of your unplayed games.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Xelios, please don't ever delete me, I always enjoy reading your Steam recommendations. I've based actual purchases on that stuff.

Haha, thanks. I actually had someone admonish me for writing negative recommendations, since recommendations are inherently positive or something (they hated my Dear Esther rec). Last one was a couple of months ago which reminds me that I really need to get back into playing my games.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So true, and so well put, Rionaa. Perhaps this should be a disclaimer/warning/heads-up posted in the next sale thread OT?

Still, it is a lesson that must be learned, not proferred.

Once the money is spent, it is spent, and from that point, the true cost of a backlog is in time - if anyone wants a good giggle, punch even a portion of your backlog into howlongtobeat.com, and feel the true burden that follows many a gluttonous Steam sale.

Incidentally, I've just started Planescape: Torment, knowing full well it's a time sink that will do nothing to ease the Steam backlog situation. I probably would've started it years ago if it were on Steam...
I don't think I'll ever learn the lesson. I mean, just yesterday I posted in the backlog thread that I needed to stop buying games. So what did I do when I learned that The Cave was on sale today on GMG? If your guess is that I skipped it, you're wrong.

And I also picked up 2 more pieces of Sleepy Dawgs DLC, which is a game I haven't even started yet, for fuck's sake! This madness needs to stop, and soon. No more new games until I've beaten at least 2 games from now.

(I'm not fooling anyone, if there's a 75% sale on a game I -remotely- want, I'll have to cave in and get it)

Haha, thanks. I actually had someone admonish me for writing negative recommendations, since recommendations are inherently positive or something (they hated my Dear Esther rec). Last one was a couple of months ago which reminds me that I really need to get back into playing my games.
Valve definitely needs to add a checkbox when writing a recommendation: "Negative review" instead of the default positive one.

Dr Dogg

Well I think people away tend to assume that a recommendation has to be positive. What's wrong with saying "I recommend you stay as far away as possible from this game". I'd be surprised if anyone bought something based off mine. It's so obvious that I've only done them for the sale meta games. Well apart from SpaceChem and Sleepy Dawgs but Toma and the whole board have pushed them down every ones throats.

I don't think I'll ever learn the lesson. I mean, just yesterday I posted in the backlog thread that I needed to stop buying games. So what did I do when I learned that The Cave was on sale today on GMG? If your guess is that I skipped it, you're wrong.

And I also picked up 2 more pieces of Sleepy Dawgs DLC, which is a game I haven't even started yet, for fuck's sake! This madness needs to stop, and soon. No more new games until I've beaten at least 2 games from now.

(I'm not fooling anyone, if there's a 75% sale on a game I -remotely- want, I'll have to cave in and get it)

Valve definitely needs to add a checkbox when writing a recommendation: "Negative review" instead of the default positive one.

I've stopped posting in the backlog thread for the time being as instead of seeing it as encouragement to finish what I've started it was using it as a shopping list. I don't need some friendly motivation I need to be locked up in a cupboard and told I'm not aloud out until I've finished every last game. Like your parents would do if they caught you smoking at a young age.

FloatOn

Hey, is it okay to just do the sandbox mode in dead rising 2 OTR? I don't know if I really want to bother with the story. Or is there some kind of interaction between sandbox and story with you keeping the upgrades across both modes?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I can see how pub's would object to categorized negative reviews but general reviews would be a nice middle ground. Amazon, PSN, XBL, and iTunes all allow it in some form of another. I would use the feature a lot more that way.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've stopped posting in the backlog thread for the time being as instead of seeing it as encouragement to finish what I've started it was using it as a shopping list. I don't need some friendly motivation I need to be locked up in a cupboard and told I'm not aloud out until I've finished every last game. Like your parents would do if they caught you smoking at a young age.
That thread depresses me. With the game I bought today, I currently have the astounding score of -17. That's right, minus seventeen points. Which means that since I started posting in that thread, I've bought 17 more games than what I've finished.

I'll have to put your advice in practice. Tomorrow I'm quitting my job, in order to dedicate to Steam games 100%.

Village

Thanks for the advice, all i really want at the moment is Sonic and Sega all-stars racing transformed.

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

Welcome to Steam.

While interesting, i doubt i will be spending that much, i am primarily a console guy and i am pretty sure i wont be interested in that much to spend that much money in a short period.

All i want right now sonic Sonic and Sega all-stars racing transformed

Blizzard

Banned
I just installed and launched Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, and it appears to support gamepad controller mapping. Unfortunately my wired 360 controller doesn't seem to work for remapping controls. I can double click them, and press a controller button to change, and the UI responds as if a button was pressed...but nothing changes. Any ideas? Is there an ini file for instance?

*edit* I found the GoF2.ini file in "AppData\Roaming\Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD", so there may be a way to modify that to hand map things.

*edit again* Aside from some flickery texture lines I could not seem to fix by experimenting with AA and AF settings, the game seems to run well and the default controller settings work, so I'm happy enough. :p

graywolf323

That thread depresses me. With the game I bought today, I currently have the astounding score of -17. That's right, minus seventeen points. Which means that since I started posting in that thread, I've bought 17 more games than what I've finished.

I'll have to put your advice in practice. Tomorrow I'm quitting my job, in order to dedicate to Steam games 100%.

if it makes you feel better if I actually had a score like that it'd probably be in the high 3 if not low 4 figure range >_<

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
While interesting, i doubt i will be spending that much, i am primarily a console guy and i am pretty sure i wont be interested in that much to spend that much money in a short period.

Nice choice, it's a fantastic game, though I only played 3 or 4 races so far.

To be quite honest, when I started using Steam I only wanted Max Payne 3, and that was last July. Since then I've collected a little over 200 games.

Not saying the same will happen to you, but you need to be careful if you want to avoid that :p

Thanks for the advice, all i really want at the moment is Sonic and Sega all-stars racing transformed.

With the abundance of "indie" packs and crazy deals outside of steam, let alone in, you'll be surprised how quickly you accumulate games.

When I began using Steam, I would look at people's profiles and think "What a waste, why do they have all these unplayed games?". On consoles, I always completed every game I bought (I still do), but Steam is a whole other story. I began buying Indie bundles, slowly my collection grew. Then, it happened... Steam Summer Sale! I thought the prices were crazy, so I bought a whole bunch of games. "I'll get to these one day". Creeping up on two years later, nope. My game count is at 545 (though that includes DLC and such) and all I really play these days is Dota 2. lol. I will pass my backlog down to my family, they shall bear the burden.

Village

With the abundance of "indie" packs and crazy deals outside of steam, let alone in, you'll be surprised how quickly you accumulate games.

we will see, depends on the year for me, this year i am buying alot of stuff for console though, then the Pokemon rears its head to entice me and make me play it for 900 hours.

Nice choice, it's a fantastic game, though I only played 3 or 4 races so far.

To be quite honest, when I started using Steam I only wanted Max Payne 3, and that was last July. Since then I've collected a little over 200 games.

Not saying the same will happen to you, but you need to be careful if you want to avoid that :p

O.O

oh lawd, 200 games.

Acorn

Any decent new games coming soon? Growing tired of Sim city + football manager. I've had 30 quid in credit sitting in my account for a while now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any decent new games coming soon? Growing tired of Sim city + football manager. I've had 30 quid in credit sitting in my account for a while now.

Age of Empires 2 HD is roughly four weeks away, and pre-purchasing gets you early access (April 5th rather than April 9th).

Blizzard

Banned
I am actually digging Galaxy on Fire 2, but that could just be ancient X-Wing vs Tie Fighter nostalgia since probably the only real space flight combat game I've played since then would be the old Microsoft Allegiance once it became open-source. I can see certain things may be become repetitive, but it seems pretty well done.

dreamfall

Bought so much DLC for Sleeping Dogs- it's cheap, but it still seems unfortunate that there was so many little pieces of content that stack up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom