• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Right now I'm contemplating an Ultima VII run with Exult (it smooths out the stuttery gameplay that DOSbox leaves intact),

Funny you mention it because I've been casually doing just that the past month or so with my GOG copy. It's a breeze to get running with Exult, which just makes things so much smoother overall. I also admit to being spoiled by the increased resolution/display radius even if it's regarded as a cheat, and have no apologies. =p I could never go back after using Exult.

Still one of the best open world RPG fixes you can get. It's massive in size, hours and interesting things to do, and has cool secrets tucked away everywhere (something I sorely miss in RPGs). Plus you actually have to use your brain; no chasing arrows on your compass. Had someone from GAF message me on Steam and tell me I had good taste when they saw me playing it, but I can't remember who it was. Serpent Isle is just as worthy, even if more linear.

As far as the Gothics go I agree with you; if I had to replay one or choose one to play for the first time it'd definitely be the 2nd.

omg_mjd

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is awesome. Glad I grabbed it when it was on sale on GMG. Runs great on my mid-range laptop (640M LE)--getting 60 fps on the highest settings at 1366x768. Dips occasionally on the busier tracks (according to FRAPS) but it's barely noticeable.

How do I see the games my friends have played in the last two weeks? I can't seem to find it anymore.

Edit: Found it on the store homepage, wasn't able to find it under Community.

Random question, but I was looking online for a fix to the framerate issues in Amazing Spider-Man and it seems to stem from having an AMD card. I found a program that would generate a .dll that "tricks" the game into thinking I have an Nvidia card. Unfortunately the game crashes every time I load the game with the generated .dll file in the directory. I've tried all sorts of options in the program and no avail. Every thread I read about the fix has everyone able to use it without an issue. I'm on Win8 with a Raedon HD 6850.

didamangi

Random question, but I was looking online for a fix to the framerate issues in Amazing Spider-Man and it seems to stem from having an AMD card. I found a program that would generate a .dll that "tricks" the game into thinking I have an Nvidia card. Unfortunately the game crashes every time I load the game with the generated .dll file in the directory. I've tried all sorts of options in the program and no avail. Every thread I read about the fix has everyone able to use it without an issue. I'm on Win8 with a Raedon HD 6850.

You have to copy the dll after the game's launcher opens. You can make a batch file to rename the dll before and after the launcher starts to make it easier so you don't have to do it manually every time you want to play the game.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Man, my shitty little laptop is really surprising me with the games it can run!

I recently got ahold of Torchlight 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and Killing Floor and they don't even have to run on low settings, with the exception of L4D2.

I'm seriously considering investing in a decent cheap gaming pc at some point this year. PC gaming has grown up a lot since I last paid attention, and Steam is a big part of that.

is Endless Space as good as it sounds? anybody playing it?

To me it is still very much a work in progress. My feeling is if you are really keen for a 4x game right now, Gal Civ 2 is there and ready. Endless Space could be pretty darn good, but maybe that time is a year or sequel away yet.

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but they've added Steam achievements to Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY. They're still not unlockable, though.

I just started it yesterday, so I guess I'll wait until they're attainable. Guess I'll download something small to kill the time the next couple of days :/

Deques

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but they've added Steam achievements to Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY. They're still not unlockable, though.

I just started it yesterday, so I guess I'll wait until they're attainable. Guess I'll download something small to kill the time the next couple of days :/

It's been mentioned a few days ago

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Ffff, I beat it a few days ago and got all the Riddler challenges. Would be a good reason for another playthrough though.

Grief.exe

I'm waiting it to unlock before a possible pre-order :p

Doing the same thing, but I wonder if everyone are waiting too

We are under the assumption that its either more of a linear progression or its unlocked manually by Valve when they choose.

The businesses model only functions if games never miss their unlocks.

We are watching a game that was released about a week ago called defiance.
When it was initially released, it was going up about 1% a day and it was in the top 20 sellers. Now it has dropped out of the top 50 and it is at 15%.

Does anyone know how to access the community page that shows what friends have been playing and their achievements, screenshots etc?

Valve removed that page in the latest Steam beta for some reason.

Its still on the website and mobile app.

Ledsen

NO. The port of MGS2 is the ugliest thing to ever touch my PC, and I've seen my share of ugly things
like photos of myself :(

Unless Konami fixes it, I'd say leave that shit out of Steam. Worst port I've ever seen, the control setup screen is a fucking mess.

http://i.picpar.com/O3m.jpg [/mg][/QUOTE]

Wtf man/woman? Dont put yourself down like that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anyone know how to access the community page that shows what friends have been playing and their achievements, screenshots etc?

The Friend Activity page? Hover over your profile tab (the right-most one that uses your Steam Friends name) and click "Activity".

Joe Molotov

The Defiance pre-order rewards bar is just sad. It's been up for about a week, and it's at 15% on the first tier. Surely they'll all be unlocked by the end, but Valve needs to start recalculating their figures soon if they want to make it look less bad. At this point, it actually makes me want to buy it just because I feel so bad for it. Maybe that's what they're going for, the sad puppy-dog eyes approach.

Sajjaja

The Defiance pre-order rewards bar is just sad. It's been up for about a week, and it's at 15% on the first tier. Surely they'll all be unlocked by the end, but Valve needs to start recalculating their figures soon if they want to make it look less bad. At this point, it actually makes me want to buy it just because I feel so bad for it. Maybe that's what they're going for, the sad puppy-dog eyes approach.

What's a Defiance?

Varg

Banned

Game looks pretty good too IMO. Like how that second tier reward us with the rift mmo . Isn't that still pay to play? Good marketing idea I guess but I'm not excited about paying for that if I want to experience it .

Blizzard

Banned
There was a pretty major-sounding Endless Space update a day or two ago, but it may have just added more content instead of actually modifying combat. I think I preordered for beta access long ago, but never even tried it or its combat. :p

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
In Defiances case I'm pretty certain it's more due to it coming to Steam last compared to everywhere else. A lot of folks have seemingly ordered from many other different places already and hence the preorder/tier rewards not doing exactly the greatest on Steam.

I preordered my copy already on Steam as I enjoyed the beta and look forward to seeing what they do in the full game. They should be announcing about the last beta phase today I think, for consoles and PC, so worth keeping an eye on their twitter feed/forums.

I'll be keeping an eye on it anyway so can post the info when available if anyones interested.

Grief.exe

Jet Set looks pretty incredible. It would be a damn shame if Sega wasn't using the same dev for a Shenmue 1/2 re-release.

And Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon: Orta, Otogi, Skies of Arkadia.

Sega has a ton of great games essentially stuck on the original xbox that could be brought to PC...and consoles. Skies of Arkadia was on DC and GC.

So I just wanted to start Jet Set Radio but apparently there's a 327 MB update! But I can't find update news on this in Steam. A few days ago there was a Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition 150 MB update, again without details. It should be mandatory for developers to release patch notes !

Blizzard

Banned
So I just wanted to start Jet Set Radio but apparently there's a 327 MB update! But I can't find update news on this in Steam. A few days ago there was a Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition 150 MB update, again without details. It should be mandatory for developers to release patch notes !
I figure they sometimes make forum/community posts instead to explain what updated, but I tend to agree. I feel like the vast majority of Steam games besides TF2 haven't had any patch notes at all when they have updated recently.

And of course there's my age-old complaint that it takes an extra click to get to the patch notes page now, instead of the "random internet news sites that are related to this game" page.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's been mentioned a few days ago
Yes, by me :p

Now all that's left is WB or Rocksteady removing GFWL from it. And SecuROM too, fuck the activation limit.

That sucks. I like reading the lists of bug fixes and new features, but 99% of the time they aren't posted on Steam News.

FloatOn

I wonder if the it fixed the frame rate issue?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, apparently I own RoboBlitz and bought it on February 4th, 2013. I have no idea what I paid or where I bought it. I checked IndieRoyale and HumbleIndieBundle, doesn't seem like I got it there (I don't own the Indie Royale bundle it was in). Was it on IndieGameStand or IndieGala? I'm trying to figure out if I got the game for free or paid money for it, and if so how much? Did anyone post codes for it here that I maybe grabbed without realizing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom