• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relax.MX

Paypal hate me... They just don't open my account, and the support by phone really sucks...goodbye indie bundles..and Gaf trades :( I want the AoE2 4 pack but without paypal :(

Any recommendation with the Google Payment

Note: I have a month trying to active again.. I just don't want to try again

JustinBB7

Paypal hate me... They just don't open my account, and the support by phone really sucks...goodbye indie bundles..and Gaf trades :( I want the AoE2 4 pack but without paypal :(

I'm locked out my paypal account too, I changed my e-mail and my secret question answers are wrong apparently. Tried e-mailing them 3 times now but they just ignore me. Fucking paypal.

Salsa

You get two copies for 12 bucks = 6 bucks a pop.

Though it's still 12 bucks.

I don't know what discounted regions means.

oh I see

Aren't games cheaper for you? You were offering Infinite for $45 which is 15% lower than the US store.

So that would mean you could get Don't Starve for $10, and it would be $5 for each copy.

no not at all, same price as the US on everything

only time there's been anything cheaper it has been Max Payne 3 ($45 instead of $60) and Bioshock Infinite ($45 instead of $60)

moka

Paypal hate everyone buddy, I stopped using them two years ago, too many horror stories and I've got a few of my own.

I use Google Checkout to buy stuff online now or card details, Paypal is terrible.

Relax.MX

Paypal hate everyone buddy, I stopped using them two years ago, too many horror stories and I've got a few of my own.

I use Google Checkout to buy stuff online now or card details, Paypal is terrible.

It's a shame because Paypal have a monopoly on Gaf Trades

I downloaded Transformers: War for Cybertron and when I try to play it I'm met with an error that says I don't have 'PhysXLoader.dll' installed. Any ideas?

EDIT: Actually, I restarted and it seems to be working... Nevermind!

iXQDU4fJHXoRb.png

why would they do that

Deques

Quick Time Events. Ew.

Quick Time Events. Disgusting

Quick-Time Event: A game scenario in which something dope happens and the players only interaction is pressing a series of buttons as they appear on the screen. See: Resident Evil 4.

Quick, Turgid Erection

Questionable, terrible entertainment¡

That you're playing a digital version of Simon.

No, that's not a boring or lazy game. QTEs in regular games usually are.

Also, I can't hate a game with Runner's sountrack.

thanks for the answer

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh man, you're incorrigible. Do you really need Football Manager 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012?

Need? No. Want? Yes! I was so happy when I decided to check the Steam retail key list on a whim and noticed a few of the earlier FM games were on there.

The man is dedicated to his craft.

See, this guy gets it.

Jay-C if you ever want free tips for Football Manager, just let me know.

I'll have to get around to installing them first. :p

Somebody needs to tell JaseC that he won't get hired by Valve if he owns every single game. It's the other way around.

I lost interest in working at Valve when I read a post on the internet that said the company no longer makes games. :(

Look at what you've done, JaseC. Your condition has ruined a running joke from a series of books I'm reading. I hope you are happy :(

I'm glad I could be of service. :p

It wasn't even that cheap! $25, I think. Quite a lot for a "+2" on Steam, lol.

$25 well spent, I say.

Primordia is pretty good. I enjoyed it lots.
Great art, imho.

Nice. I'll be jumping into Primordia once I'm done with Dishonored. (Thanks again, Xel!)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Installed Steam on Linux Mint yesterday, running fine.
Also, all my categories showed up correctly on their own volition... are they being saved to the cloud now?

no not at all, same price as the US on everything

only time there's been anything cheaper it has been Max Payne 3 ($45 instead of $60) and Bioshock Infinite ($45 instead of $60)
Rockstar games tend to be cheaper on occasion, but don't forget the EA tax and no LIVE games (although that may be a bonus!)

Grief.exe

I can't wrap my head around GFWL titles even existing.

Games with certain DRM have shown to have significantly less sales.
Can't even sell the game in all regions.
Client hasn't been updated since 2009.
Including certain types of DRM will tarnish your brand.

but...its somewhat easier to port!

At what point does the cost lost to doing a good port get overtaken by the negatives associated with GFWL.

Its ridiculous that in the internet age, even if people want to buy your game they can't because they live in another region.

Acorn

They would of some point been given moneyhats (although I doubt thats happened in the last few years as MS pretty much abandoned it).

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
I can't wrap my head around GFWL titles even existing.

Games with certain DRM have shown to have significantly less sales.
Can't even sell the game in all regions.
Client hasn't been updated since 2009.
Including certain types of DRM will tarnish your brand.

but...its somewhat easier to port!

At what point does the cost lost to doing a good port get overtaken by the negatives associated with GFWL.

Its ridiculous that in the internet age, even if people want to buy your game they can't because they live in another region.

I figure they are developers that don't know the PC platform like From Software or are in bed with Microsoft and don't care much about the PC user experience (ie, Epic Games, Warner)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sorta off topic but something I was pondering. Do people who hate QTE's also hate games like Bit.Trip.Runner which are essentially QTE:The game except without on screen button prompts?
How is Bit.Trip Runner a QTE game?

That doesn't make any sense.

Grief.exe

The problem with QTE's is that the developers couldn't think of a creative or intuitive way for us to interact with the game.

Bit.Trip Runner found a way for us to intuitively hit the button and make the game respond. You hit down when you want to slide under an obstacle for example.

Bit.Trip Runner is the example of a 'QTE' done right, so much so that we don't even define it as a QTE.

RE4 is the example of a QTE done wrong. Flashing the left-mouse button at some random point is not a intuitive way to have us interact with the game.

In a way, I think Sleeping Dogs, and Arkham Asylum, did it correctly. Right-Mouse button is counter, and F is the dodge attack. Its still a QTE by the definition, but its not some arbitrary button at some arbitrary time. It actually makes sense in the context of the gameplay.

Relax.MX

12 hr on Risen and I just got my first decent armor, the game is not for all people but certainly deserved more love..

Is great the way the character start alone and weak(for real) you don't have points to follow, or a good map, the money is really necesary and you can't enter to house for steal like others RPGs, small things like this make the game great

After 34 hrs i finished the game, i have a mix of feelings

On one hand...I like the sense of exploration that provides the game, unlike most modern adventure games there is not a point to go indicated by the map or a compass(with literally almost every step you have to do), is not so easy here, the maps are rustic, the objectives not say everything, you need to improvise, actually do exploring, questioning, investigating, etc.. As I mentioned in the last post i like a lot that feeling of being lost, helpless and alone on an island and the way you move up in rank, is not easy to get glamorous armor or weapons.

In the other hand, the gameplay is just not polished, the battles never evolve, when i started with a stick and fight wolves I thought that in future battles against humans would be more complex but keeps the same routine: defense, attack, counterattack, defense, etc.. and you win all but very, very patient. Because the game challenges the patience, checkpoints is bullshit you need to save alot, a enemy can kill you with 2 hits in many points of the game, the story begin interesting and ends disappointing, perhaps expecting more of the final (or boss fight ... wolves are harder), also lacks charm of the art.

I recommend it? yeah, but if you like PC RPGs, you like exploring, you dont want to be a character of any movie of Lord of the Rings, you like missions without help, and you like saving the game much XO this game is for you..

8/10..

Thanks to Xelios for this game :)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo, that Game of Thrones RPG - can it be enjoyed or is it a piece of crap?

I'm now tempted...

RPS had an interesting 'Wot I think' on the game, that I primarily agree with. They summed up with:

In short, it’s a troubled roleplaying game but also a really interesting and strong one. Every misfire is met by a triumph of some sort, and the one thing it is not is a lazy, perfunctory cash-in. It’s an epic that doesn’t quite have the budget to be an epic, but strives its hardest to be one nonetheless. It’s much more like the kind of experience I’d hoped for from Risen 2, which sadly turned out to be a stereotype-laden exercise in hollow jolliness. This is thoughtful, heavy with a sense of consequence and impressively nasty even despite stylistic and apparent budgetary failings. After the woeful Genesis, it’s also Cyanide very much making good on the huge license they lucked into.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, that Wot I think sounds really interesting and I'm kinda in the mood for a nice RPG.

Edit: Screw it, bought.

nexen

Risen:
8/10..
Seconded. I adore exploration in RPGs and Risen was totally my bag, man.
I just uninstalled Risen 2, however. Yick.

edit: ugh, now I'm tempted on the GoT RPG. I've never read the books or seen the miniseries, but plan on doing both sometime soon - should I avoid the game for fear of spoilers?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I didn't hate the GOT RPG. Gameplay feels a lot like KOTOR and the story is a lot more interesting then most games of it's ilk.

Smash88

Banned
I AM BACK! Wooo!

Thanks again Salsa/Stump for getting my account back.

With that being said, I'm still waiting for Steam to put War Thunder up. It's been 2 weeks since their greenlight approval.

Chronoja

Well, QTE sections often take the guise of an auto playing segment of game play where you push buttons in a specific sequence until the segment ends.

Bit.Trip.Runner, with the removal of button prompts, is exactly the same thing. An auto playing gauntlet where you input a sequence of button presses to succeed.

Now...you could be reductive to the extreme and just say "lol but all games are basically a sequence of button presses so is everything a qte", at that point it's silly. The main point really would be that the game assumes control and you merely react to it appropriately.

I understand the hate towards them myself, the point being in most games the trivialization of the gameplay from full control to menial button presses is as others have put very lazy.

The reason I questioned it though is that people's knee jerk reaction is to spew vitriolic hate about it, then go on to praise games like Bit.Trip.Runner. If you were to view it as a sentence it would look like "We hate everything about QTE's except a game made entirely of QTE's". It's an odd mixed message but it makes sense when you realize that in a game like Bit.Trip.Runner, the gameplay is not being reduced from a higher level of freedom, so therefore it is considered acceptable. Plus they manage to capture it all in a game with fantastic production values (art, music etc) so people don't knee jerk over a mechanic they claim to hate.

DJ_Lae

Damn, I got my hopes up earlier when I heard that Sacred 2 was on sale - as I know it's been absent from the North American side for ages (I kept it in my wishlist, though it's basically broken).

Nope, still not available here. Is it possible to get someone from another region to buy and send it to me or is that a futile attempt?

Relax.MX

I just uninstalled Risen 2, however. Yick.

edit: ugh, now I'm tempted on the GoT RPG. I've never read the books or seen the miniseries, but plan on doing both sometime soon - should I avoid the game for fear of spoilers?

Risen 2 is bad? :(

I looking for my next RPG...Oblivion is good? i never played a Elder Scroll game..

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Damn, I got my hopes up earlier when I heard that Sacred 2 was on sale - as I know it's been absent from the North American side for ages (I kept it in my wishlist, though it's basically broken).

Nope, still not available here. Is it possible to get someone from another region to buy and send it to me or is that a futile attempt?

You need to search for Sacred 2 Gold. Great game in co-op and includes the previously unavailable expansion, enjoy.

I recommend it? yeah, but if you like PC RPGs, you like exploring, you dont want to be a character of any movie of Lord of the Rings, you like missions without help, and you like saving the game much XO this game is for you..

8/10..

You're welcome and glad you enjoyed. It is a good game, and the true Gothic 4 of course. My 2nd favorite in the series after Gothic 2. Inherently involves jank and unimpressive combat, but still manages to be a great experience. I'm a big fan of not having my hand held.

nexen

Risen 2 is bad? :(

I looking for my next RPG...Oblivion is good? i never played a Elder Scroll game..

Oblivion holds your hand more than Risen does, but is still a great game imho. Graphics aren't as good as Skyrim and arguably even Risen but it is a larger more polished experience. I like the overall storyline better than Skyrim as well, though both are great.
(I am a biased Bethesda fan however. (no need for avatar quote))

edit: and I hated Risen 2. Tried really hard not to but somehow they managed to rip the charm out of it. It was also buggy as hell on my rig. Shadows disappearing, grass disappearing, crashing..etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom