• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Tier

Have a question I figured I should ask here. What's the fastest service to send a 500mb file? I have some artwork that I got scanned but it's huge. Figured you guys might know. Dropbox, mediafire, Skype?

I dunno about "fastest" but, dropbox is most convenient when dealing with large, or multiple files--in my opinion.

Doomrider

I could get the DoW pack from Amazon, but I'm only really interested in Titan Quest Gold, and even then, only because of Immortal Throne. So, I guess I'll save the coupon for Mark of the Ninja, whenever it gets added to the Editor's Choice list. I just hope Immortal Throne goes on sale on GMG/GG/Steam, before it disappears from DD services altogether.

xJavonta

Banned
The latest Hotline Miami patch may be the one that addresses the W8 issues. I just successfully booted up three times.

There's a patch? THANK THE LORD. It's weird because when I first bought it I had no problems with Windows 8, however I take a break from it and come to play it days later and it refuses to run.

baconcow

Does anyone have any idea how long The Cave is expected to be? I don't mind throwing down $11.25 on it, if it is going to be a meaty game (I'm not expecting super long, but I don't want a short 2 hour game). It would be nice for replayability, but the puzzles seem pretty fixed so it seems like a one playthrough and you're done kinda game, unless the different characters really can make a playthrough change significantly.

baconcow

Say I bought the darksiders pack on Amazon. Does the season pass contain dlc that's also included in the pack.

No. It only contains a few of them. If you are, by any chance, not interested in the weapon/armor DLC and the other non-Season pass packs, I'll trade stuff for them. I bought the Season Pass and the game before this bundle and regret it. You will end up with one DLC that is duplicate because it was added to the Season Pass at a later date.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Here's some keys folks, quote to see. If you take a code and don't post saying so, you are a supreme flaming cuntface.

Indie Game the Movie:
Dungeon Defenders + All DLC:
The Legend of Grimrock:
Cave Story +:

Exuro

Here's some keys folks, quote to see. If you take a code and don't post saying so, you are a supreme flaming cuntface.

Indie Game the Movie:
Dungeon Defenders + All DLC:
The Legend of Grimrock:
Cave Story +:

Grabbed Indie Game the Movie, thanks!

derExperte

The latest Hotline Miami patch may be the one that addresses the W8 issues. I just successfully booted up three times.

It probably will still crash under certain circumstances but it's become more stable with the last patch. And I hope they fixed the not working achievements with the new one.

Caerith

Does anyone have any idea how long The Cave is expected to be? I don't mind throwing down $11.25 on it, if it is going to be a meaty game (I'm not expecting super long, but I don't want a short 2 hour game). It would be nice for replayability, but the puzzles seem pretty fixed so it seems like a one playthrough and you're done kinda game, unless the different characters really can make a playthrough change significantly.
They're saying that different characters are required to access certain areas, so I'd say that there's some replay value just in bringing along a different group.

wilflare

I'm still crossing my fingers for that awesome price mistake known as 4.99 Sleeping Dogs would come back in one form or another.

would have used my EC coupon on that DoW pack if DoW1 were steam-redeemable

esai

No. It only contains a few of them. If you are, by any chance, not interested in the weapon/armor DLC and the other non-Season pass packs, I'll trade stuff for them. I bought the Season Pass and the game before this bundle and regret it. You will end up with one DLC that is duplicate because it was added to the Season Pass at a later date.

well i haven't actually looked at the content yet. is dlc the only way to obtain the weapons and stuff? add me on steam or pm for further discussion.

Grabbed the DoW franchise pack.
Not only did Space Marine get me into Warhammer, it also got me into actually thinking about playing a RTS.

Impressive.

Plus Titan Quest Gold...can't hate on that.

When is Max Payne 3 supposed to go on sale at Amazon?

Deques

Just bought the DoW pack, even though I already have most of the DoW games.

Just tried to order a new pack to see if I got anymore coupons left and it seems I still have at least one left. Horray :p

dreamfall

Also picked up the Dawn of War pack- mostly for Titan Quest, and some DLC. But a crazy deal!

For my late nighters, anyone want a Borderlands GOTY Steam key?

Why am I still up?!

Edit: Hell, if you have a To The Moon key to trade, I'd love that. If not, I'll still send it.

Tizoc

Zczi5.png

I wonder if we'd ever start PAYING to get rid of Dota 2 keys...

JohnDonut

Banned
Soulstorm was hot garbage anyway.
Soulstorm was meh on release, but they patched it pretty heavily. Now it's as good as Dark Crusade, and Dark Crusade is fucking awesome.

lol @ this http://imgur.com/a/F0uKC

Seen on reddit.
So what does it say? Does it say "hahaha" or something?

Thanks, i'll keep this in mind.
Skip Clear Sky, get Call of Pripyat with the complete mod, then play chernobyl, or vice versa. But skip clear sky.

def sim

There's a patch? THANK THE LORD. It's weird because when I first bought it I had no problems with Windows 8, however I take a break from it and come to play it days later and it refuses to run.

All I did was boot it up three times to see if it worked fine. That's a lot more than I've ever been able to, but I understand the W8 issues extend further than the start up errors. Hopefully all the others are fixed as well, because I've had this game since November and couldn't play a single level on my PC at all.

FYC

Banned
That Ravaged 4-pack is tempting... Maybe I'll watch the GiantBomb Quicklook as I heard there's a hilarious moment involving a plane. Then decide.

JohnDonut

Banned
Mmm yeah beat Kotor 2 with TSLRCM and M4-78EP. It bugged out a bunch and I never got to see the HK Factory but it was pretty good I guess.

That was my fourth playthrough
emot-frogc00l.gif

Doomrider

Mmm yeah beat Kotor 2 with TSLRCM and M4-78EP. It bugged out a bunch and I never got to see the HK Factory but it was pretty good I guess.

That was my fourth playthrough
emot-frogc00l.gif

I really liked the HK Factory because of all the funny dialogue, but it ruins the pace of the endgame. I was excited to see the conclusion, after defeating
Nihilus
, and all of a sudden I'm stuck in a droid factory.

Never had any bugs, thankfully.

Derrick01

Banned
Did anyone else get this?

vqYnu.jpg

I've had it pop up a few times in the last couple of weeks when I try to start a game but Steam in general has been screwy lately. Sometimes when my PC starts up Steam doesn't start normally and it brings up the store page like I manually clicked on it and sometimes it'll just randomly forget my settings.

I'm having problems verifying the integrity of the game cache of any game. The status bar just doesn't move at all.

Can anyone try it out and check if it's a problem on my end? I guess the client has to contact the servers for it to work.

Derrick01

Banned
So does anyone know when the hell euro truck sim 2 is supposed to be on steam? I've been intrigued by it for a while and after seeing that giant bomb quick look yesterday I'm convinced I need this game in my life.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm having problems verifying the integrity of the game cache of any game. The status bar just doesn't move at all.

Can anyone try it out and check if it's a problem on my end? I guess the client has to contact the servers for it to work.

I can verify game data just fine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So does anyone know when the hell euro truck sim 2 is supposed to be on steam? I've been intrigued by it for a while and after seeing that giant bomb quick look yesterday I'm convinced I need this game in my life.

SCS' latest blog post mentions development on the Linux port of ETS 2012 is almost complete and a comment states that owners of the Windows version will be able to download the Linux version for free, so I assume the intention is to release the Windows and Linux versions on Steam simultaneously.

I can verify game data just fine.

Thanks. Looks like I have some troubleshooting to do.
EDIT: Out of the ~15 games i tried now, the ony game that started and finished the content verification is Binding of Isaac. The rest is just doing nothing. What is going on?

EDIT2: Just tried something on my laptop.
I had an older version of Steam installed, verified game chache of Hotline Miami just fine. Then I was prompted to a client update, installed it, and now it also stopped working on my laptop. Looks like the latest (non-beta) update broke that functionality for a lot of games on my end, on two separate PCs.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I've been rolling through some of my Christmas acquisitions and some oldies never completed. Thoughts:

header_292x136.jpg

I was a pretty vocal hater of the direction Rockstar was taking Max Payne as well as the lack of Remedy, but I was able to finally give the game a try finally after finally tuning my expectations and determining the right price. And it kind of blew me away. Let me get this out of the way first: I think it's a pretty bad Max Payne game. I knew that going in though. It's a hyper-slick Rockstar experience that is feels completely different in style and design from the previous games, but also pretty much every other 3rd person shooter. I can't think of any other shooters that try quite so hard to be a movie. It's a hell of a ride though. I loved pretty much every aspect of the gunplay. Shoot dodging is adapted to Rockstar's obsession with Euphoria wonderfully and the last stand mode keeps the game flowing nicely. The story blatantly borrows from Hollywood, but it's fine in that simple popcorn action flick way and while the writing for Max dips into typical Houser writing at times, he is still a ton of fun to watch self-destruct.

How did I feel about the experience as a whole? Happy.

header_292x136.jpg

I hate Telltale products pretty much across the board. I think their approach to modernizing adventure games has led to a bland and rushed product that feels souless when compared to the heart the properties usually have (BTTF/Monkey Island/etc.). That said, The Walking Dead is the first game of they have made that actually impressed me. The writing and voice acting is easily the best they have done yet and I actually cared about what was going on for once. Stripping out the majority of the "gameplay" that usually inhabits their game is beneficial to the pacing and makes for a pretty unique experience. I don't think they should embrace this approach going forward, but it really worked here. I think they dodge the mistake that Heavy Rain and Jurassic Park made where you constantly have an input while doing even the most mundane tasks. The only two issues I had were that episode 4+5 felt like they could have a been a single episode with a lot of the pointless fat trimmed and that the climactic encounter felt hollow due to the choice I made in a much earlier episode *not* to do something. An incredibly emotional ending saves the series from ending in a truly disappointing fashion though.

How did I feel about the experience as a whole? Happy.

header_292x136.jpg

I loved and completed GTA3 back in the day, but I never got much more than a quarter or so into Vice City. Going back to oldschool GTA was certainly an interesting experience. My rose-tinted glasses made me forget that a lot of the content comes from having to retry missions multiple times due to unforeseen obstacles rather than the missions actually being involving. It was kind of tiring having to go back to the start of missions after being screwed over by some cops coming out of nowhere right at the home stretch. It was also kind of lame when you do finish a mission on your first try and you realize it took like 5 minutes or less and a chunk of it was driving time. I just don't think that style of design has aged very gracefully. It's a shame because the characters, music, and era in general are a ton of fun.

How did I feel about the experience as a whole? Mixed.

header_292x136.jpg

I didn't realize this back in 2006 or whatever, but apparently I was only 2 levels from finishing the game haha. I was ready for a fresh start and a proper completion finally. I still love the story and aesthetics and the game has aged quite wonderfully. It was nice seeing the cartoon art with flawless image quality locked at 60 fps and have proper controller button prompts that the community even made sure fit with the art-style. As far as gameplay goes, I think the first half of the game plays much more strongly than the second. I just didn't find the theater level to be funny or interesting and the Napolean level was also pretty bland gameplay-wise. Despite the weaker design of the second half, I enjoyed finally completing the game and working towards 100% achievements was pretty fun (for the most part).

How did I feel about the experience as a whole? Happy and then Mixed.

I have two more to feel about later.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just tried to finish Psychonauts, but I never will because of the meat circus, specifically the swing jump off the sword on the second spinning wheel. It would have been reasonable if the checkpoint was the last platform I got him to, but to start all the way at the bottom is complete and utter bullshit. No I will not spend 5 minutes getting back up to that point every time for a one-shot at a ridiculous jump from a shit angle. I hate protecting others in videogames, but it's twice as bad when I have to get to them through ridiculous things like this first. Fuck you for that, Double Fine. I thought you were cool. Time to youtube the ending and forget it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
They added checkpoints I believe or made it less bullshit I guess. People bitched that they made it easier lol.

Anyways, it didn't give me too much of an issue in it's modern patched form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom