• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks. Looks like I have some troubleshooting to do.
EDIT: Out of the ~15 games i tried now, the ony game that started and finished the content verification is Binding of Isaac. The rest is just doing nothing. What is going on?

EDIT2: Just tried something on my laptop.
I had an older version of Steam installed, verified game chache of Hotline Miami just fine. Then I was prompted to a client update, installed it, and now it also stopped working on my laptop. Looks like the latest (non-beta) update broke that functionality for a lot of games on my end, on two separate PCs.

Strange. Opt into the Steam client beta; perhaps it'll fix the issue.

chixdiggit

I hate Telltale products pretty much across the board. I think their approach to modernizing adventure games has led to a bland and rushed product that feels souless when compared to the heart the properties usually have (BTTF/Monkey Island/etc.). That said, The Walking Dead is the first game of they have made that actually impressed me.

My feelings exactly. The walking Dead is the first Tell Tale game that I actually really enjoyed. I dug the characters and story in stuff like Sam and Max/Monkey Island but they are just a chore to play.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I mentioned this in the OT for TWD: wouldn't the game have been pretty incredible with more moments like killing the zombies outside the Motor Inn to try to save the trapped woman in episode 1? They gave you strange tools, and had a great illusion of player agency there while still putting in a lot of dialogue each step of the way. I don't want straight up adventure game puzzles, that would be inappropriate. I'd LOVE the sequel to have more of that, though! In every other episode killing zombies wasn't particularly bad or anything, it just seemed silly in comparison to the expectations laid out by that early set piece.

The sewer segment is a bit like that, but yeah, the motor inn bit was definitely the most interesting way to incorporate gameplay.

BTTF was my first Telltale game that I liked. Liked how they handled the IP, characters and story. I didn't even know who Carl Sagan was until I googled him. The more you know.

JaseC

The only Telltale game I've played is Jurassic Park, back during 2011's Winter Sale achievement hunt. I... didn't enjoy my brief time with the game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think Jurassic Park is their worse series. Loved the Sam and Max games, and the Back to the Future games were good stuff too.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm a masochist:

MSli0.jpg

So help me God if I see another Minecraft clone, RPG Maker game or twin stick shooter.

Grief.exe

Just tried to finish Psychonauts, but I never will because of the meat circus, specifically the swing jump off the sword on the second spinning wheel. It would have been reasonable if the checkpoint was the last platform I got him to, but to start all the way at the bottom is complete and utter bullshit. No I will not spend 5 minutes getting back up to that point every time for a one-shot at a ridiculous jump from a shit angle. I hate protecting others in videogames, but it's twice as bad when I have to get to them through ridiculous things like this first. Fuck you for that, Double Fine. I thought you were cool. Time to youtube the ending and forget it.

I feel your pain. Took me forever to make that jump and I was using m/KB too.

Otherwise an awesome game. So much fun and personality.

DagsJT

Interesting. I've never been sent DOTA2 and it's not in my library. But I clicked on a link where someone now owns the game, it takes me to the store page .... and it tells me I already own it and I can "play now". Clicking that link wants to start a 5GB download.

So it seems maybe you don't need an invite, just a link to the DOTA2 store page?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Interesting. I've never been sent DOTA2 and it's not in my library. But I clicked on a link where someone now owns the game, it takes me to the store page .... and it tells me I already own it and I can "play now". Clicking that link wants to start a 5GB download.

So it seems maybe you don't need an invite, just a link to the DOTA2 store page?

Spectator client.

You need a key to actually play.

Strange. Opt into the Steam client beta; perhaps it'll fix the issue.

Tried that and deleting the .blob. Nothing helped.
Looking around SPUF I found a few people reporting the same problem and some people having problems with the backup and restore function, which might be related.

I think BoI is the only game I have installed which still uses the old content system, so I think that's why it's the only game I can verify. Weird that it works fine for you though.

JaseC

Tried that and deleting the .blob. Nothing helped.
Looking around SPUF I found a few people reporting the same problem and some people having problems with the backup and restore function, which might be related.

I think BoI is the only game I have installed which still uses the old content system, so I think that's why it's the only game I can verify. Weird that it works fine for you though.

Name a couple of games that you tried to verify and I'll see if they'll work for me. It's possible that the games I tested earlier are still on the old system.

wazoo

I hate Telltale products pretty much across the board. I think their approach to modernizing adventure games has led to a bland and rushed product that feels souless when compared to the heart the properties usually have (BTTF/Monkey Island/etc.).

I hope you know Telltale is basically mainly coming from LucasArts (not all of them). Telltale games are basically what modern SCUMM games would have been.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I hope you know Telltale is basically mainly coming from LucasArts (not all of them). Telltale games are basically what modern SCUMM games would have been.

so what you're saying is we're lucky Kurt Cobain died young or he'd be Paul McCartney right now

Grief.exe

You want a key man?

Add me on Steam, its in my GAF profile.

Name a couple of games that you tried to verify and I'll see if they'll work for me. It's possible that the games I tested earlier are still on the old system.

Hotline Miami, Dustforce, NightSky, Painkiller Black, Thief Gold, FTL, XCOM, Pid, Rayman Origins, Civ V.
Just Cause 2 just randomly decided to work, although I'm pretty sure it didn't work when I tried earlier.

Thanks for the help.

epmode

something like that. It is not like all LucasArts Point and click have been received with praise. Already MI3 and 4 were heaviliy criticized.

4, sure. 3 is brilliant, even if it's not the game Ron Gilbert would have made. One or two mediocre adventure games since the release of Monkey Island 1 is a damn sight better than Telltale's record.

edit: I see 3's criticism as something like the way NMA hates EVERYTHING that doesn't ape an old game in every way.

JaseC

Hotline Miami, Dustforce, NightSky, Painkiller Black, Thief Gold, FTL, XCOM, Pid, Rayman Origins, Civ V.
Just Cause 2 just randomly decided to work, although I'm pretty sure it didn't work when I tried earlier.

Thanks for the help.

Try now. I was almost done with your list, having no success (ditto for the games I successfully tested earlier, strangely), when Rayman Origins successfully validated, so I went back a step to XCOM and it too is now validating.

Daily is Lunar Flight 66% off

EDIT: Damnable JaseC

The shoe is finally on another's foot. :p

Wok

I have just noticed I could sell the two hats for TF2 which I got for preordering Trine 2.
  • Genuine War Head: min 1.42€, quantity 40. (market, wiki)
  • Genuine Point and Shoot: min 3.39€, quantity 42. (market, wiki)

kurahador

The game is 5GB now? Damn...

Nillansan

Hi Steam GAF first post here, just got my account validated :)

I really enjoy this thread, so here's something in return:

LA Noire (Just the base game)

Quantum Conundrum (Sorry)

Supreme Commander 2

Wizorb

Frozen Synapse

McPixel

Not an impressive giveaway, but hopefully some of you will enjoy the games. Please quote the game that you want and I will PM you. First come, first serve.

Could someone please invite me to the Steam GAF group?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nissanthen

Thank you :)

EDIT: All the games have been claimed, hope that you enjoy 'em.

Supreme Commander 2

Wizorb

Frozen Synapse

McPixel

Not an impressive giveaway, but hopefully some of you will enjoy the games. Please quote the game that you want and I will PM you. First come, first serve.

I like you.

edit: for clarification, I didn't take it, I just liked the pre-emptive apology

Deques

Supreme Commander 2

Wizorb

Frozen Synapse

McPixel

Supreme Commander 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom