• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

New metro for steam skin update
modified mine a bit

steamx8lxw.png

http://boneyardbrew.deviantart.com/art/Metro-for-Steam-2-7-292419787

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Another problem. It's asking me to insert disk 2, but Im using a portable hdd and there's no option select my hard drive! Think Im stuffed now.

it's ok i fixed it. I chose disk 1 to install instead of just the dishonored folder.

For future reference, rather than using Steam's backup function, depending on how much space you have to spare, you can either:

- Move your entire steamapps folder and plonk it the root of Steam's new installation directory, or
- Move the game folders of the specific games you want to back up and then plonk them in steamapps\common (or steamapps\[account name] for older Valve titles and SiN)

jediyoshi

For future reference, rather than using Steam's backup function, depending on how much space you have to spare, you can either:

- Move your entire steamapps folder and plonk it the root of Steam's new installation directory, or
- Move the game folders of the specific games you want to back up and then plonk them in steamapps\common (or steamapps\common\[account name] for older Valve titles and SiN)

How gracefully does that handle steam thinking the game is installed? I thought the benefit to the built in feature was that you didn't have to do any trickery since otherwise steam won't recognize it in your library

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How gracefully does that handle steam thinking the game is installed? I thought the benefit to the built in feature was that you didn't have to do any trickery since otherwise steam won't recognize it in your library

IIRC, if you do it before running Steam for the first time, all of the games will be erroneously labelled as "Update paused", but if you do it after running Steam, they'll simply be considered as uninstalled until you decide to install them.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok, I'm gonna have to agree with the gaffer that posted yesterday about To The Moon.

It. Is. Great.

Now if you excuse me I'm gonna curl up in a corner and cry for a bit.

esai

hotline miami is testing me. i need to at least finish this level before i go to bed. i hate having to work saturday mornings.

Nabs

Amazon is going to have Max Payne 3 for 15 bucks again ($9.99 after coupon).

It runs nicely on PC (@60fps), and feels really good with the mouse.

1-D_FTW

This is just so beautiful.

It's also why I watch indie trailors with the volume muted. I learned long ago that some shitty games seem a lot better with some great music playing.

Oh, I also always play the demo before buying indies (and if there isn't one, I better be really convinced I'm going to like it). This eliminates another wide swath.

If I activate a Steam-code and Gabe says I already own the game/DLC, will that make the code unusable or still active?
Question regarding the Abbyssal Forge DLC that is also included in the Season Pass for Darksiders 2.
Somebody?
It will still be usable key
Unless there is a DLC in the game-key you do not already have. Then it will absorb the key, add the included DLC's to your library and the key is not usable. But if you already have the game and DLC's that are included in the game-key, the key wil not be used.

Wok

Oh, I also always play the demo before buying indies (and if there isn't one, I better be really convinced I'm going to like it). This eliminates another wide swath.

You cannot go wrong with these ones in 2013:

Has someone tried the demo of Party of Sin? It is currently 40% off on GMG and there is a 20% additional discount with GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK, which makes an overall 48% discount (the game costs £5.76 / 7€ in the end).

I got the Thief Bundle a week ago or so and just got around playing them. Is there any essential mods that could make the experience better (especially for the first one) or should I just play them vanilla ?

We don't really know much about the Witness at all.. I am not sure Stanley Parable is going to do anything for me the original mod didn't already.

Wok

We don't really know much about the Witness at all.. I am not sure Stanley Parable is going to do anything for me the original mod didn't already.

Both games are made by smart people who are putting a lot of effort into them. So, I cannot imagine them fail.

1-D_FTW

You cannot go wrong with these ones in 2013:

We'll see. My only sure bets so far are Monaco and The Cave. I would also include Trials Evolution as Day 1 (beta convinced me of that), but I'm not sure how many people would label that as indie.

We'll see. My only sure bets so far are Monaco and The Cave. I would also include Trials Evolution as Day 1 (beta convinced me of that), but I'm not sure how many people would label that as indie.
Not anymore! Be interesting to see what they do next, and where.

baconcow

You chose the only two indie-developed games that I am willing to throw my money down on. The Cave looks professionally made. My only worry is that it won't be very long, an issue with puzzle platformers of such complex design. However, it isn't expensive and the coop aspect could be Trine-like. Was hoping to pick this up with a 30% pre-order discount, but I guess 25% is good enough.

Monaco, on the other-hand, is my #1 want, and people seem to be grossly underhyping it in their 'top upcoming indie' lists. It won awards years ago then just never materialized on time and people have seemed to forget it. With limited, but well done coverage, the game has come a long way since Prototype. Plus, an excellent looking coop seems to be the deal-maker for me. I have been looking for someone to split a 4 pack with me ($11.25 instead of $13.50). The website has good info: http://www.pocketwatchgames.com/Monaco/

1-D_FTW

I'd be tempted, but I have a bunch of money sitting idle in my Steam wallet (thanks holiday sale). And I also have a 50 dollar Gamestop gift card lying around. I just don't feel like spending real cash until I start making a dent in those.

Fireblend

Banned
Indie games I'm looking forward to this year:

The Cave
The Witness*
Radio the Universe
Routine
Owlboy*
The Iconoclasts*
Heaven Variant
Project Reds (Double Fine kickstarter)
Does Planetary Annihilation count?

...damn, might as well only play indies this year
KuGsj.gif

*: Might not come out this year.

Edit: Oh, and Fez.

1-D_FTW

I'm also day one-ing Assetto Corsa. But that's a hardcore racing sim. And it's unlikely to ever show on Steam. That's why I originally excluded it. But I'm just amending the list cause this is an indie game that's going to take a giant, steaming dump on the AAAA titles released this year. So I think it's important to point out that just because there's a ton of garbage, it's still often the most exciting place to look.

Wok

Indie games I'm looking forward to this year:

The Cave
The Witness*
Radio the Universe
Routine
Owlboy*
The Iconoclasts*
Heaven Variant
Project Reds (Double Fine kickstarter)
Does Planetary Annihilation count?

...damn, might as well only play indies this year
KuGsj.gif

*: Might not come out this year.

Edit: Oh, and Fez.

I also have Owlboy in my indie list for 2013. But I don't think it will be released this year. It was planned for 2012, with a neat demo, and now, the release date is unknown, without any explanation.

So, for 2013, my list of games to buy:
  1. Antichamber (dev) originally announced for 2012, and now for 2013 with high confidence since the game is finished
  2. Contrast (dev) announced for Q1 2013, but I don't think we can trust this date
  3. Gorogoa (dev) late 2013, might well be postponed to 2014
  4. Gunpoint (dev) no date
  5. Miegakure (dev) no date
  6. Monaco (dev) For sure in April 2013
  7. Owlboy (dev) postponed
  8. The Cave (dev) this month
  9. The Stanley Parable: HD Remix (dev) let us say 2013, but might be postponed
  10. The Witness (dev) 2013

daxy

Is this worth £1.99 considering it's only 15 mins long?

Is a sandwich worth buying if you're going to eat it in 5 minutes anyway? :b

I haven't played it myself tbqh so I don't know, but will pick it up after I've gone through some of my backlog. Finishing at least one game before purchasing another, ahah.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is a sandwich worth buying if you're going to eat it in 5 minutes anyway? :b

I haven't played it myself tbqh so I don't know, but will pick it up after I've gone through some of my backlog. Finishing at least one game before purchasing another, ahah.
Depends on the flavor of the sandwich. I wouldn't eat a shit sundae even if it was free, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom