• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

ndlG7bj.jpg

:(

it got better

nexen

I remember how originally Valve said they worked hard to make sure each class had a unique silhouette that was easily identifiable even at range. That way even in peripheral vision at distance players could immediately categorize threats.

Then...this happened.

I remember how originally Valve said they worked hard to make sure each class had a unique silhouette that was easily identifiable even at range. That way even in peripheral vision at distance players could immediately categorize threats.

Then...this happened.
Even in the most egregious cases you're never going to mistake one class for another, even more impressive is how identifiable the loadouts of a person are with the telegraphing of the new weaponry and combination possibilities.

Good looks are to the discretion of the user.

Yeah but it's not like there's a "tastefully dressed" server where you can play on. I don't have a problem with how tf2 added item aesthetic items but it certainly changed the game from a multiplayer shooter with a unique art style to a wacky looking first multiplayer shooter. Its fine but it's certainly less distilled than it was when the game released.

kurahador

Then...this happened.

I could still identify a Demoman in the game. It's not like he become white by wearing the cosmetics.

Salsa

Then...this happened.

that's still very much the case

Yeah but it's not like there's a "tastefully dressed" server where you can play on. I don't have a problem with how tf2 added item aesthetic items but it certainly changed the game from a multiplayer shooter with a unique art style to a wacky looking first multiplayer shooter. Its fine but it's certainly less distilled than it was when the game released.
It was always pretty wacky, the artstyle came about from the weird cartoony gameplay concepts like rocket jumping afterall. But now you have a more kitchen sink approach to character aesthetics, it kind of reminds me of a toned down version of the characters you can choose from in Quake 3 or UT. In any case, while you can have some truly terrible looking combinations with some items and paints just seemingly being there for the sole purpose of looking bad, I still like it because of the customization it allows me to do for myself. I'm okay with taking the bad with the good.

HoosTrax

Then...this happened.
Are you basing this off of that image he posted? Or actually playing the game? The characters are still easily distinguishable from each other in practice.

MNC

I finished up Alan Wake + Signal + Writer. I actually really like the game, and Writer did some really cool
freaky
stuff. Goddamn cliffhangers! Looking forward to Alan Wake 2.

Next up is Bulletstorm; that's reasonably short right? I want to finish up some games before Bioshock Infinite.

I'm about 2 hours in. The FOV is fucking nauseating though.

nexen

Even in the most egregious cases you're never going to mistake one class for another, even more impressive is how identifiable the loadouts of a person are with the telegraphing of the new weaponry and combination possibilities.

I could still identify a Demoman in the game. It's not like he become white by wearing the cosmetics.

that's still very much the case

Are you basing this off of that image he posted? Or actually playing the game? The characters are still easily distinguishable from each other in practice.

I just find it humorous that they allowed such customization given how much effort they put into that aspect of the game. I get the feeling they expected more hard core competition, originally?

But you guys are right, in the game it really doesn't seem to matter.

Dr Dogg

I just find it humorous that they allowed such customization given how much effort they put into that aspect of the game. I get the feeling they expected more hard core competition, originally?

But you guys are right, in the game it really doesn't seem to matter.

I find it funny that people still play TF2. Tempted to boot it back up to see what Mann vs Machine is like but I use TF2 like I use internet banking. Go on check hats then check market for value and chop them in.

zkylon

zkylewd
I finished up Alan Wake + Signal + Writer. I actually really like the game, and Writer did some really cool
freaky
stuff. Goddamn cliffhangers! Looking forward to Alan Wake 2.

Next up is Bulletstorm; that's reasonably short right? I want to finish up some games before Bioshock Infinite.

I'm about 2 hours in. The FOV is fucking nauseating though.
yeah it's super short. I finished it in one sitting with a friend and I can't be with people for too long or else they start noticing I'm not that likeable

speaking of playing games with people, Miasmata of all games makes for an awesome game to play with friends. just trying to chart yourself back to the world and debating over which road to take and whatnot is great. we still haven't found the dreaded monster but imma make it a weekly thing with my friends to do a couple hours of coop Miasmata.

nexen

still the best multiplayer shooter ever made since the twitch quake/unreal days

I love that I can jump back in after months away and still feel competent.
Just about every other online fps game out there I get owned if I do this. I still bear scars from my return after a summer long break from Tribes 2.

Dr Dogg

still the best multiplayer shooter ever made since the twitch quake/unreal days

Oh no doubt but it's coming up to 6 years old. Yeah it's gone through gazillions of changes and going f2p has really kept the number up but I'm still shocked. Then again I'm an old jaded git. Bah.

Salsa

we need a phrase to do a secret exchange with other people to check if they are gaffers lol am I right you guys

like reddit and somethingawful

I vote for "did you shoot yourself in the foot?" hah!

Isaccard

we need a phrase to do a secret exchange with other people to check if they are gaffers lol am I right you guys

like reddit and somethingawful

I vote for "did you shoot yourself in the foot?" hah!

I say just drop Derricks name in public and watch the sparks fly lol

Dr Dogg

"you in the beta?"

Hahaha. Perfect.

JaseC getting Raccoon City in T-minus 5

Massively OT but I feel like I've been haunted by JaseC all day. On the bus stop on the way to work this morning there was a poster for a film called The Host staring Saoirse Ronan. "Huh" I thought to myself "so shes not just some b-movie actress no one has ever heard of". Next thing I see is about 4 or 5 buses go past with the same advert. "Ok this is getting a bit weird". But then when I finally get on my bus the free paper that is usual given away on there had, yep you guest it an advert for that flipping film again. To further compound my madness there was a trailer on during the news when I got in. All that needs to happen to get me sectioned is JaseC to pop in here.

in case you guys are missing this:

http://i6.minus.com/iIjfrZcADZLdS.PNG[/IM]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOwMtZCncFs[/url][/QUOTE]

Will this be free or at least very cheap DLC? Doesn't sound that substantial, although MotN is the best stealth game this gen so more of it is always welcome.

Hellix

Wow, I feel like an idiot. I clicked Organ Trail thinking it was Oregon Trail. I didn't realize it until I read: "Organ Trail is a retro zombie survival game."

Dr Dogg

Notice I said ANOTHER copy. We can create an account just for him with Hitman as the only game.

Hahahaha. This sounds like some Clockwork Orange conditioning theory. Strap Derrick down to a chair forcing him to play games he hates while playing something he loves so he ends up associating them together. Next time he's berating a game it makes hims so nauseous he vomits.

Edit: Only joking Derrick :p

Also isn't AC:III meant to have serious PC performance problems? Game's purring at the moment and just got to the fps killer that is Boston and getting 50-80 fps. It's still shitty though. All the patching in the world isn't going to sort that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom