• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I dunno 'bout you guys but I could sure go for some more righteous indignation in this thread.

Deques

GMG now also added free XCOM to their deal, making pretty most DD sites now got the almost same deal

Amazon - $30 credit to any 2k game
Greenman Gaming - $14 credit to US
GetGamesGo
GameFly - $5 credit to any 2k game, $12 to any game
Gamersgate - 30% back in blue coins
and ofc Steam - TF2 hats

Feels like Steam now got the least appealing deal

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I save all the e-mails I get when purchasing from game stores, as well as those Steam sends me when someone gifts me a game, and every PM here on GAF with Steam keys. In a few years I'll look at all that stuff, calculate the price and cry.

I calculated the price 3 months or so ago and already wanted to cry. That was prior to the Winter Seal I think. Shame on you, cheap games. Shame on you.

Yeah, my e-mail inbox is server-side and goes as far back as early 2011, so I have all the receipts and such. It's just that, now, three months into the year, it's far too much work to go through the list and note down the store.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
GMG now also added free XCOM to their deal, making pretty most DD sites now got the almost same deal

Amazon - $30 credit to any 2k game
Greenman Gaming - $14 credit to US
GetGamesGo
GameFly - $5 credit to any 2k game, $12 to any game
Gamersgate - 30% back in blue coins
and ofc Steam - TF2 hats

Feels like Steam now got the least appealing deal

But... HATS!

are there any Hats for TF2 on Bioshock Infinity?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The one I played (EDuke32) seems to be barebones with added mouselook and widescreen, but it's possible I'm misremembering.

Nah, I couldn't get that as barebones as I wanted. I play Doom with the sole improvement being resolution. Every other aspect is 100% unchanged. Yes, down to playing keyboard only. I can't stand mouse look in ancient games that are sprite-based. When you look up or down it's vomit-inducing. Doom and Duke are and should remain 100% playable without having to do that if the player us so inclined.

Deques

Yeah, my e-mail inbox is server-side and goes as far back as early 2011, so I have all the receipts and such. It's just that, now, three months into the year, it's far too much work to go through the list and note down the store.

My inbox is filled with only receipts. It's just sad, no one wants to say send a hello to me :(

morningbus

I feel like this bears some repeating:

1) When a game is purchased from Steam, Valve gets a 30% cut for its distribution.

2) When a Steam-redeemable game is purchased from another retailer like Amazon or GMG, Valve does not get its 30% cut or any cut at all. The keys are provided for free. Typically, the same cut between store and publisher exists, so any deals on products you buy are coming from that 30% cut the store gets.

This is the only way the other stores can compete. Almost all of them started off selling non-Steam keys, but they found the only time anyone uses their stores is when Steam keys are offered. Valve will always be "Good Guy Valve" for allowing these business to exist in the first place.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

1) When a game is purchased from Steam, Valve gets a 30% cut for its distribution.

2) When a Steam-redeemable game is purchased from another retailer like Amazon or GMG, Valve does not get its 30% cut or any cut at all. The keys are provided for free. Typically, the same cut between store and publisher exists, so any deals on products you buy are coming from that 30% cut the store gets.

This is the only way the other stores can compete. Almost all of them started off selling non-Steam keys, but they found the only time anyone uses their stores is when Steam keys are offered. Valve will always be "Good Guy Valve" for allowing these business to exist in the first place.
But Valve doesn't have Based Tony!

wazoo

Of course, Steam proposed both a shop and a DRM.

When used as a DRM, they do not act as a shop, but incidentally, people have to install Steam ans see the shop immediatly which may push them to buy more steam products.

Opening DRM to 3rd parties was a key to success, but everyone has to benefit from the system to become a standard not only steam.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm looking for a copy of XCOM...anyone selling theirs?

you can have mine when it comes (not here yet). Don't know if UK steam keys would work elsewhere though?

will have a spare bioshock infinite key too as I preordered it, but then got one for free with the new graphics card I bought.

Nillansan

That's also the part I don't get -- is there really that many people who haven't played DXHR already? Or are there really that many people who already have but would buy it again for $60 just to see some revamped boss fights and WiiU controller gimmicks.

If they do release it on PCPS360, I wonder if we have to buy the update as DLC. I don't see a AAA publisher doing what Hard Reset did.

Well, I haven't played it yet, I held off playing a lot of games due to an underpowered rig. I have finally put a new rig together a few months ago, but I guess I am holding off playing DXHR for a bit longer in hopes that the improvements will be added to the to PC version.

you can have mine when it comes (not here yet). Don't know if UK steam keys would work elsewhere though?

I bought X-Com through Steam and under my transaction details it shows up as a ROW (Rest of World) key, so you should be fine.

You take your logic and get the hell out of here.

good info, didn't know 2

morningbus

Of course, Steam proposed both a shop and a DRM.

When used as a DRM, they do not act as a shop, but incidentally, people have to install Steam ans see the shop immediatly which may push them to buy more steam products.

Opening DRM to 3rd parties was a key to success, but everyone has to benefit from the system to become a standard not only steam.

Absolutely, there is a benefit to Valve. They do weird things sometimes, but they're not stupid or purely altruistic, just like Amazon or GMG.

So, was thinking about preorder Bioshock Infinite from GMG, but I don't need any of the bonus games. Anyone want to take them off my hand for, let's say $15? That is Xcom + Bioshock + your choice of one of the other games (Bioshock 2, Mafia 2, Darkness 2, Civ 5 or Spec Ops). PM me.

Zia

This little XCOM thing that came with BioShock Infinte is pretty great. I'm supposed to work on prepping the apt so the landlord can come evaluate all the stuff that needs maintenance tomorrow, but I can't stop killing greys. Who needs a new shower when you have laser rifles? Pew-pew.

nexen

Everyone should buy from Steam. Valve needs the money badly and they aren't in a position to re-negotiate sales deals like some of these big e-retailers are.

edit: damn this is one of those times I really wish I didn't own all of these games because that is a sick package for the asking price.

morningbus

Everyone should buy from Steam. Valve needs the money badly and they aren't in a position to re-negotiate sales deals like some of these big e-retailers are.

It's not renegotiating a deal. It's taking a hit off the cut you're taking, typically the 15 to 18 dollars any storefront makes off a new release title.

So why should Valve race to the bottom price-wise against tiny key reselling operations? I imagine they still sell way more copies that many of the smaller guys combined and, hell, even if you're buying from somewhere else, you're still living in Valve's ecosystem.

Isaccard

It's not renegotiating a deal. It's taking a hit off the cut you're taking, typically the 15 to 18 dollars any storefront makes off a new release title.

So why should Valve race to the bottom price-wise against tiny key reselling operations? I imagine they still sell way more copies that many of the smaller guys combined and, hell, even if you're buying from somewhere else, you're still living in Valve's ecosystem.

Stop making sense in here, wtf is this shit

nexen

I don't think we disagree. My point was that if Valve wanted renegotiate sales terms they could because they clearly have the market muscle and can take the short term loss because they are swimming in seas of cash.
In a desperate situation, (not that I think there is a chance of it soon) they could decimate their competition with one swift stroke by stopping the sale of steam keys from outside their digital storefront.

Steam owns the PC DD market.

Grief.exe

http://www.lordsoffootball.com is heading to Steam. It sounds like a very unique take on Soccer and it allows you to play matches as well as determine the lives of players outside of the game.

I've been seeing that one in the registry for a little while.

It has achievements as well.

Who were you talking to?

Don't get me wrong, its great info. I was just trying to find the discussion this was aimed at. I wanted to read the Steamworks discussion.

Then again I just woke up so its possible I missed it.

morningbus

I don't think we disagree. My point was that if Valve wanted renegotiate sales terms they could because they clearly have the market muscle and can take the short term loss because they are swimming in seas of cash.
In a desperate situation, (not that I think there is a chance of it soon) they could decimate their competition with one swift stroke by stopping the sale of steam keys from outside their digital storefront.

Steam owns the PC DD market.

Ah, I misinterpreted your last post.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. There are a lot of things they could do. Hell, they could even charge for the keys like a lot of other storefronts (like the App store or Nintendo's eShop) and I think most publishers would still be on board with full Steamworks.

Who were you talking to?

Don't get me wrong, its great info. I was just trying to find the discussion this was aimed at. I wanted to read the Steamworks discussion.

Then again I just woke up so its possible I missed it.

It was aimed at the people who were wondering why Valve isn't competing directly with GMG or Amazon.

nexen

Ah, I misinterpreted your last post.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. There are a lot of things they could do. Hell, they could even charge for the keys like a lot of other storefronts (like the App store or Nintendo's eShop) and I think most Publishers would still be on board with full Steamworks.

Yeah, sorry, my post wasn't clear. I was just trying to be amusing, really. One day I shall succeed!

edit: the Steam take-over of PC gaming is one of the more foresighted, brilliant things I have ever had the pleasure to witness, tbh. I thought Valve was mad when it started and was rabidly anti-DRM. Now I own almost 600 Steam subscriptions.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I might watch The Host...

for Diane Kruger.

ronankrugerkiss.jpg

Where did you get it for that price?

GMG UK.

Grief.exe

No no no. My fault!

The only problem there is that Valve is under no obligation to provide free steam keys.

No obligation, yes, but it helps them expand their userbase

And create both a developer friendly and consumer friendly product at the same time.

Even if Valve stopped providing the 3rd party retailer activation of Steamworks, then I'm sure they still wouldn't be considered anti-competetive.

There are places like Origin, Blizzard, Uplay, League of Legends. There are other games related distributors on PC that are very successful.

Sanjay

No no no. My fault!

The only problem there is that Valve is under no obligation to provide free steam keys.

It was in ref to "they could decimate their competition with one swift stroke by stopping the sale of steam keys from outside their digital storefront.

Steam owns the PC DD market."

Like that is not a option Steam can enforce and getaway with it.

Also I thought they were remaking the Korean, The Host (2006) film, then I see this picture on IMDB
The_Host_Poster.jpg

And I'm like looks like Twilight malarkey, then I check the wiki page and read its by Stephenie Meyer then I close all links asap.

morningbus

It was in ref to "they could decimate their competition with one swift stroke by stopping the sale of steam keys from outside their digital storefront.

Steam owns the PC DD market."

Like that is not a option Steam can enforce and getaway with it.

I'm not sure I follow. They could totally stop giving away free Steam keys to publishers tomorrow and there is no law anywhere that could prevent them from doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom