• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I made that line up :p That's the sort of thing Cain should be saying in his own game when gunning down fools!
Oh well, you'd fit perfectly as Binary Domain 2's lead writer.

Holler if you agree.

How long does it take to play through ME1? I'd like to try all three, but I'm not sure I have time for a Norma length RPG alongside P4G on vita.
In my case, 40 hours on my first playthrough. I did everything there was to do, except for a line of sidequests I missed and half of one DLC, which I didn't like at all.

I think it's totally worth it.

Caerith

I wanted planetary exploration (rather than dumbass scanning.)
The Mako was a great idea, poorly implemented. Planetary scanning was a terrible idea, cleanly implemented. I liked exploring random worlds in Mass Effect 1, despite its flaws like all the bases being the same layout just reused over and over again.

Anyway, Mass Effect was 40 hours for me, Mass Effect 2 was 45. I was pretty thorough in both, though I didn't do any of the DLC for either (including DLC-only characters, which is a terrible idea). I stopped playing after the end of ME2, even though I guess you can cuddle in your underwear with some of your crew members in post-game.

Never played Mass Effect 3. Never saw Revenge of the Sith either. I think there's an analogy there.

Edit:

How long does it take to play through ME1? I'd like to try all three, but I'm not sure I have time for a Norma length RPG alongside P4G on vita.

For what it's worth, even though I already put in 100+ hours and got 100% s.links and true-true-true ending in P4, I would totally (re)play P4G if it was on the PS3 or PC or something where I wouldn't have to play on a 3-inch screen with limited battery life. I have had no desire to replay either Mass Effect (not when KOTOR 2 exists, at least).

Gowans

Help! Steam won't let me buy as gift as I already own it????

I want to buy the 4 pack (ideally 2 four packs), How can I fix this?

rmwGiLm.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Help! Steam won't let me buy as gift as I already own it????

I want to buy the 4 pack (ideally 2 four packs), How can I fix this?

rmwGiLm.png

You can't buy a four-pack even as a gift if you already own the game as the way they work is that one copy is added to your library while the rest are added to your inventory.

Edit: To clarify, it's not possible to buy multi-packs as a gift at all.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yea it's a really great game. Too bad the sequel turned out so poorly.

What went wrong with the sequel? I was planning on eventually picking it up from GOD on my 360.

Damn it, Hotline Miami is the best puzzle/murder sim I've ever played. I don't know what you would really call it, but I just played the same level like 50 times trying to find a way through it and it almost seemed like a strategy or a puzzle game or something to me.

Definitely deeper than the overhead shooter I thought it was going to be.

I normally get all grossed out by 80's stuff. I was alive back then and enjoyed it but looking back everything was just so gross. From the clothes to the attitudes to the politics to even a ton of the music. It's grossed me out for years. I keep saying "gross" for lack of a better term because it's almost like a conflicted anti-nostalgia. Some of the things I have an affinity for, but mostly I just get the heebie jeebies from the 80's for some weird reason. It's a weird relationship full of longing and revulsion.

Hotline Miami taps into the part of me that takes the shit I hate about from back then and just amplifies it intensely enough, and tempers it with such excellent gameplay, that it gives me almost a zen-like sense of sanctity and profanity. The highs of the gameplay and the lows I get from the excellently realized 80's sleaze really get to me.

As much as I love playing it, and have stayed up much too late doing so, it reaches a point after a bit where it almost becomes too intense an experience to be sitting there in a dark room, my sleeping children not far away, but feeling like the only person around for miles.

This game is really something special, guys. I don't normally give game storytelling much credit, but this is a hell of an engrossing story and gameplay experience here. I'd definitely suggest picking it up. Wait for a sale if you need to, but it's totally worth a 10 spot.

theofficestanleynodrbunl.gif

Chronoja

Didn't see this mentioned, a few new sales

Gamersgate

Just Cause 2 items are 75% off

Empire: Total War Collection 75% off

2 new Indie Gala Store bundles

The Magic Bundle

For a minimum of $0.99 you get Vigil: Blood Bitterness

For $3.99 and over you also get Avencast: Rise of the Mage and Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes

The Action Bundle

For a minimum of $0.99 you get Tank Universal

For $4.99 and over you also get RIP Trilogy, Wasteland Angel and Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood.

All are steam redeemable keys

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Enjoy and bang hard, best RTS game.

Also this news is new to me, might partake in this banging too.

Yeah, that Sega gave them to budget to completely overhaul the multiplayer service so that it would be better future proofed is pretty sweet. The details were light on the fringe benefits of the Steamworks move though.

HoosTrax

Also, I wonder if the Steamworks patch for Company of Heroes 1 will bring achievements. It would be the perfect time for me to bang out all those campaigns.
Huh? Did I miss some announcement?

Theoretically speaking, campaign achievements for Company of Heroes 1 would be a piece of cake to do -- just make them the same as the campaign medals you receive for completing secondary objectives.

Ah Relic makes the best RTS singleplayer campaigns, can't wait to see what they've come up with for COH2.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I recently started Sleeping Dogs and it's a lot of fun. I was playing without the high res texture pack, but I figured I'd try it out so I started the download. Then I checked the recommended specs and my GTX 460 768MB probably isn't up to it.

Is it correct that there's no way to cancel this download permanently, or even launch the game without it first insisting that it finish this 4GB transfer? I think this is the first time Steam has done something to me that I consider bad.

edit: hmm, according to a steam forums post, it doesn't really have a performance hit, and the guy even has the same card I do. nevermind my complaint I guess.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I recently started Sleeping Dogs and it's a lot of fun. I was playing without the high res texture pack, but I figured I'd try it out so I started the download. Then I checked the specs and my GTX 460 768MB probably isn't up to it.

Is it correct that there's no way to cancel this download permanently, or even launch the game without it first insisting that it finish this 4GB transfer? I think this is the first time Steam has done something to me that I consider horrible. Well, bad, anyway.

768MB should be enough for the high-res textures (they're not MaLDoesque or anything of the sort), and the performance impact they have is minimal.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
768MB should be enough for the high-res textures (they're not MaLDoesque or anything of the sort), and the performance impact they have is minimal.

See my edit above, but thanks for the reassurance nonetheless!

It's still kind of dumb that you can't just cancel a download.

Grief.exe

Yeah, that Sega gave them to budget to completely overhaul the multiplayer service so that it would be better future proofed is pretty sweet. The details were light on the fringe benefits of the Steamworks move though.

Based Sega?

The feature roadmap for COH2 will also include details on what kind of a feature release schedule we’re hoping to achieve with COH1.

EDIT: No achievements showing up on the registry.

Tizoc

How's Empire: Total War? I've got Shogun 2 and FotS from a previous sale, but if Empire is good in it's own way I can grab it from GG before the sale ends.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What went wrong with the sequel? I was planning on eventually picking it up from GOD on my 360.

The horror is downplayed considerably, it's now more of a straight action game complete with combo meter and "sweet ultra fatality kill!" splashed all over the screen. There are like 7000 guns per square foot now and after the first 2 levels you never have to fight melee again. The story goes absolutely batshit insane, where the last chunk of the game involves you running around doing some kind of magic scream attack that makes guys heads explode. Oh and they changed the main character both in appearance and voice actor to make him more "extreme".

It's really really awful. It has one good stage (a cabin in the woods involving a bear) and that's really it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The horror is downplayed considerably, it's now more of a straight action game complete with combo meter and "sweet ultra fatality kill!" splashed all over the screen. There are like 7000 guns per square foot now and after the first 2 levels you never have to fight melee again. The story goes absolutely batshit insane, where the last chunk of the game involves you running around doing some kind of magic scream attack that makes guys heads explode. Oh and they changed the main character both in appearance and voice actor to make him more "extreme".

It's really really awful. It has one good stage (a cabin in the woods involving a bear) and that's really it.

Damn, that is quite a shift.

ShaneB

Man, Sega is awesome aren't they.

I've tried multiple times to get into CoH, but I just think the world war 2 aesthetic just doesn't gel with me :( However, it certainly is awesome for these retroactive Steamworks patches to be in place. It's one game I keep installed because I think one day maybe I will love it. lol

nexen

I liked both games, but for different reasons.

I thought Condemned 2 had some better spook-out moments (except the cabin in Condemned 1 - that was fantastic) and the Bear scene was absolutely thrilling.
Yeah, story did get goofy but I didn't think it was going anywhere in Condemned 1 anyways. Too many threads that didn't look like they were going to tie up neatly.

Shouting was just funny to me, tbh.

Overall I'd say I had more fun with Condemned 2.

edit: it is much less of a 'horror' game, agreed. And I can totally see why people would see c2 as a disappointment if they enjoyed that aspect of c1 more than I did.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
lol

From the Halo 3 thread

Goddamn, he comes off so salty about it. Why does he even bother posting? Let us live our fantasy. We are sorry people want a PC port so badly for a 5 year old game so that they can buy it a second time. I'd feel pretty fucking special if people felt that way about a universe I built.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

It's still a very atmospheric and creepy game though, levels like the hotel especially. I found it just as unnerving as the first game and in some spots even more so. There's still a very huge horror element to the sequel. Guns don't really come into play until much later on. I do agree they shouldn't have become so prominent later on because it detracts from the brilliant melee system and that's probably my biggest flaw with the game. I know some folk don't like how they deepened the melee mechanics (hence making Ethan more powerful) but that's one of the thing I love most about the game. The forensic system is also much more interesting compared to the original game as well, the improvements they made with that are great.

They also changed Ethans appearance in the sequel because he's a drunk. He's going to look like shit and be a moody, miserable bastard. The events of the first game fucked him up. Whether or not that was a good idea storywise is a different matter for debate. As for the voice actor, Greg Grunberg, they couldn't afford him as his price went up due to Heroes taking off around the same time. This was a game funded by Sega, they were just too tight to fork out for him. I do agree with Rosas change though, she was a cool normal 'frumpy' character in the original and they made her thinner and just overall changed her design for no need whatsoever.

Overall it's a game with flaws but it's certainly not 'really really awful' Not by a long shot.

EDIT - Sorry if that comes across as really salty, I really don't mean it to be.

Manus

I wouldn't be able to get anything else played if Halo 3 came to Steam. Sniping on The Pit again would be awesome!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Goddamn, he comes off so salty about it. Why does he even bother posting? Let us live our fantasy. We are sorry people want a PC port so badly for a 5 year old game so that they can buy it a second time. I'd feel pretty fucking special if people felt that way about a universe I built.
He works for Microsoft. His natural state is oscillation between giving half a shit and plotting the cheapest and most efficient way to fuck every PC gamer personally.

Chronoja

I think these are new

GMG sales

Total War: Master Collection 75% off

This collection includes:
  • Medieval II: Total War™
  • Rome: Total War™
  • Empire: Total War™
  • Napoleon: Total War™
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2
  • Viking: Battle for Asgard
  • Total War Battles: SHOGUN

Total War: Grand Master Collection 75% off

Total War Grandmaster Collection includes:
  • Medieval II: Total War
  • Rome: Total War
  • Empire: Total War + DLCs
  • Napoleon: Total War + DLCs
  • Total War: Shogun 2 + DLCs
  • Viking: Battle of Asgard
  • Total war Battles: Shogun

20% off code GMG20-NT7TS-SY2RT works on these

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I should put my old 512 MB GeForce 9800 GTX+ to sleep :(

I will purchase it to replace my 8800GTX, since it decided to kill yet another motherboard of my secondary computer.

Since I live in a horrible place overseas, I'll have to pay 50 bucks for shipping, so gimme a (low) price and we'll talk :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I will purchase it to replace my 8800GTX, since it decided to kill yet another motherboard of my secondary computer.

Since I live in a horrible place overseas, I'll have to pay 50 bucks for shipping, so gimme a (low) price and we'll talk :p

8800GTX, my man. Mine bit the bullet last year but I still keep it around because of its years of service. It was such a damn beast. Should get it gold dipped or sent to a museum or something. "First evidence of alien contact with mankind - they gave us this."

ShaneB

And the chaos that used to occur in the sword room in The Pit... double dipping day 1.

lol, yeah, that was good times too. Halo 3 had some incredible maps, that's for sure. Each Map definitely has great design where you remember instances like that. My favourite probably being Guardian/Blackout since I prefer the smaller style

Tizoc

Total War: Grand Master Collection 75% off

Total War Grandmaster Collection includes:
  • Medieval II: Total War
  • Rome: Total War
  • Empire: Total War + DLCs
  • Napoleon: Total War + DLCs
  • Total War: Shogun 2 + DLCs
  • Viking: Battle of Asgard
  • Total war Battles: Shogun

20% off code GMG20-NT7TS-SY2RT works on these

Oh man...tempted to get this. I already have a few of the games in there, which I can keep for trading in the future though.
Then again I'm interested in Empire and Napoleon only wonder if they're on sale...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Oh man...tempted to get this. I already have a few of the games in there, which I can keep for trading in the future though.
Then again I'm interested in Empire and Napoleon only wonder if they're on sale...

I'd buy the Shogun parts off you for a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom