• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJavonta

Banned
Tomorrow you wake up, check GAF, top thread title grabs you:

Valve announces they're closing shop and Steam will be shut down immediately. No patch will be released for full offline mode.

What do you do.
Hold me EA

As a first post let me just say how much I've enjoyed reading everyone's contributions to this forum. Thank god I finally got authenticated.

I only just got my first decent gaming PC so I've been a long time console gamer but haven't been able to delve into the more obscure PC stuff.

That said, with the Indie Sale going on on Steam what are the diamonds in the rough that are must-plays? Someone already turned me on to FTL and I'm hooked but what other indie titles are likely to have slipped under the radar of someone who didn't have an eye on the PC space?
Well here's a few of my favorites

Super Meat Boy
FTL (I know you already mentioned it but it's that good)
Super Hexagon (I prefer the iOS version though)
Terraria
Garry's Mod
Hotline Miami (so fucking good but so damn difficult)
The Binding of Isaac
Braid
Limbo
Awesomenauts (If you want to like MOBA games but can't get used to that difficult learning curve, this will ease the pain)
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

I've heard good things about Giana Sisters, Half Minute Hero, and They Bleed Pixels but I haven't played them myself.

A lot of the games I listed are multiplatform, but they're on Steam if you never played them/want to double dip.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tomorrow you wake up, check GAF, top thread title grabs you:

Valve announces they're closing shop and Steam will be shut down immediately. No patch will be released for full offline mode.

What do you do.

Browse the Saoirse Ronan tag on Tumblr to make me feel better.

Salsa

As a first post let me just say how much I've enjoyed reading everyone's contributions to this forum. Thank god I finally got authenticated.

I only just got my first decent gaming PC so I've been a long time console gamer but haven't been able to delve into the more obscure PC stuff.

That said, with the Indie Sale going on on Steam what are the diamonds in the rough that are must-plays? Someone already turned me on to FTL and I'm hooked but what other indie titles are likely to have slipped under the radar of someone who didn't have an eye on the PC space?

welcome guy, let me buy you Super Hexagon

JaseC

If I ever win $500 or more on a scratchie, I'll buy the Rocksmith DLC. I assume Ubi would have to get approval to put the songs on sale, which is something the folks over there are never going to bother with.

I saw one of her movies. She played that Legolas character in Lord of the Rings, right?

Oh you!

Hold me EA

Well here's a few of my favorites

Super Meat Boy
FTL (I know you already mentioned it but it's that good)
Super Hexagon (I prefer the iOS version though)
Terraria
Garry's Mod
Hotline Miami (so fucking good but so damn difficult)
The Binding of Isaac
Braid
Limbo
Awesomenauts (If you want to like MOBA games but can't get used to that difficult learning curve, this will ease the pain)
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

I've heard good things about Giana Sisters, Half Minute Hero, and They Bleed Pixels but I haven't played them myself.

A lot of the games I listed are multiplatform, but they're on Steam if you never played them/want to double dip.

Yeah, those are definitely some of the higher profile titles. Would love to double dip on Awesomenauts but I feel a little burned having invested in the xbox version then never seeing any of the DLC. That said, great game.

welcome guy, let me buy you Super Hexagon

Thanks for rolling out the welcome wagon. I'm not one to turn away a gift but I should mention I have no land/children/Persian silks to offer in thanks.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
No lie JaseC I had never seen any of her movies until about a month ago when I'd left the TV on and when I came back to it Hanna was on. I was glued til the credits, but the whole time I had this impossible to ignore urge to check the steam thread.

It's like, ingrained in me now.

JaseC

No lie JaseC I had never seen any of her movies until about a month ago when I'd left the TV on and when I came back to it Hanna was on. I was glued til the credits, but the whole time I had this impossible to ignore urge to check the steam thread.

My work here is done. *fades into the ether*

Someone should make a game about her with 1000 pieces of DLC. Chase would make the dev rich. We'd all probably be bombarded with gifts every time a new DLC was released.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
What a slow Thursday. Only one bite on the Shatter gift. Maybe I'll pick a better game tomorrow.

JaseC

JaseC ruined saoririsrsesj (fuck that name) for everyone

"Hello, friend! Do you have a moment to spare for our Lord and Saviour, Saoirse Ronan?"

Someone should make a game about her with 1000 pieces of DLC. Chase would make the dev rich. We'd all probably be bombarded with gifts every time a new DLC was released.

I would also buy the game itself at full price.

oipic

JaseC ruined saoririsrsesj (fuck that name) for everyone

So, so true... well, I'm not sure he has ruined her so much, it's just that she's become so bloody synonymous - is it Seer-shuh I'm falling in love with, or Jase/SteamThread? Odd feelings. Movie posters for The Host are EVERYWHERE, and taunting me.

Anywho...

I think I should pull the trigger on either Don't Starve or FTL - but which one, folks? Which is better suited to short-ish stop/start 20-30 minute play sessions (which is all my life will cater for at the moment)?

With the sale going on I'm hoping some people will bite on Shank 2. Multiplayer arena mode in that was a really unique experience. The dev team definitely saw a boost from Mark of the Ninja gaining ground with the critics but Shank 2 still doesn't seem to turn up on many people's radars.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What a slow Thursday. Only one bite on the Shatter gift. Maybe I'll pick a better game tomorrow.

Still the best Dupy. Take him up on his offer, people!

So, so true... well, I'm not sure he has ruined her so much, it's just that she's become so bloody synonymous - is it Seer-shuh I'm falling in love with, or Jase/SteamThread? Odd feelings. Movie posters for The Host are EVERYWHERE, and taunting me.

Anywho...

I think I should pull the trigger on either Don't Starve or FTL - but which one, folks? Which is better suited to short-ish stop/start 20-30 minute play sessions (which is all my life will cater for at the moment)?

My vote goes to FTL. Encounters are usually extremely short and any reading you get is only a frame or two long. Part of why I love it is because I can squeeze turns in between doing other things. Lends itself very well to repeat play because everything is so short.

With the sale going on I'm hoping some people will bite on Shank 2. Multiplayer arena mode in that was a really unique experience. The dev team definitely saw a boost from Mark of the Ninja gaining ground with the critics but Shank 2 still doesn't seem to turn up on many people's radars.

I never saw how that multiplayer arena mode looked...until now...aaaand I just added it to my wishlist, lol.

It's crazy how cheap Bioshock Infinite was from GMG. I was looking to purchase Spec Ops and XCOM either way, so it works out great for me:

£24
-£5 (cheapest Spec Ops has ever been anywhere in the UK)
-£10 (cheapest XCOM has ever been anywhere in the UK)
-£1.50 (probable resell value of Bioshock as I already own it)

= £7.50

£7.50 for a pre-order of a likely fantastic game. <3 PC gaming, especially in the UK.

angelfly

Looks like Dishonered is going to be $23.99 on Gamefly today. I might have to bite at that price.

edit: Looks like the price is already active.

It's crazy how cheap Bioshock Infinite was from GMG. I was looking to purchase Spec Ops and XCOM either way, so it works out great for me:

£24
-£5 (cheapest Spec Ops has ever been anywhere in the UK)
-£10 (cheapest XCOM has ever been anywhere in the UK)
-£1.50 (probable resell value of Bioshock as I already own it)

= £7.50

£7.50 for a pre-order of a likely fantastic game. <3 PC gaming, especially in the UK.

Yeah, I grabbed it on Steam before everyone else jumped on the Oprah pre-order plan. "You get an XCOM and YOU get an XCOM and YOU get an XCOM."

Hard to complain as I'm walking away with Bioshock and Xcom but Gamersgate is throwing in Bioshock 2 and a bunch of blue coins to sweeten the deal further.

JaseC

I have accrued around $10 in Blue Coins. One of these days I'll be able to buy myself something nice.

Salsa

well there goes the community home being useful

just got spoiled a bit of Tomb Raider right then and there

then again I also saw this:

EB1EDAB9BE8DB53B9492594F38AC1E602F7C28F7

Arthea

Sales are pure evil.
Yesterday bought 3 games: Recettear (wanted to buy for a long time, played some and it's funny and fun), Disciples III golden (not sure I need it, seeing my backlog) and Magical Drop V (which I don't even like)
*heavy sigh*

edited: Is there any neogaf community or group on steam?

FloatOn

Out of boredom (had to come to work at 3am) and the desire to crush your puny leaderboard scores I bought a 2 pack of super hexagon. Who wants an extra copy?

I also have an extra copy of Don't Starve that is up for grabs. PM with your steam details and I'll hook you up.

water1111

Banned
Out of boredom (had to come to work at 3am) and the desire to crush your puny leaderboard scores I bought a 2 pack of super hexagon. Who wants an extra copy?

I also have an extra copy of Don't Starve that is up for grabs. PM with your steam details and I'll hook you up.

Can I have it please?

Salsa

from the capy and doublefine floppy game thread:

&#8220;The game will be released on the 3.5&#8243; floppies that come inside the Capy and Double Fine limited edition boxed bundle, AKA the retail version of the Steam bundle that we just launched which includes both studios&#8217; Steam games. We only made 200 boxes, and even then some of the floppies might not work, but the people who buy them will be allowed and encouraged to share the game.&#8221;

capy + doublefine bundle incoming

CapyDisc-610x343.jpg

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member

WAAAAAAAY late, but PM sent.

Also, I picked up Prison Architect the other day and man. Despite how buggy it is, that game is great. I've had an itch for a good sim/tycoon game and this' scratching it pretty good. Played a little over four hours and uhh...yeah, I can see this soaking up all my spare and podcast-listening time next to Dota 2.

And in the spirit of giving, I've got an extra Arma 3 Alpha Lite invite if anyone wanted to try it out. PM me your STEAM info, I'll get it to you tonight or when I wake up in the morning.

Addnan

Thank you for Don't Starve <3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom