• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsen

So I haven't bought any games in a few weeks

I also haven't played any games at all in a few weeks

So if A then B that means...

MY GOD

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm going to be traveling for the next few days and I want to make sure I get Bioshock Infinite downloaded as soon as it's available for pre-load. I'll have a laptop and a smart phone with me.

What's the smartest way to make sure it's downloaded while I'm away? Does the Steam Android app handle this well? Should I prepare to use remote desktop software just in case?

Volcynika

I'm going to be traveling for the next few days and I want to make sure I get Bioshock Infinite downloaded as soon as it's available for pre-load. I'll have a laptop and a smart phone with me.

What's the smartest way to make sure it's downloaded while I'm away? Does the Steam Android app handle this well? Should I prepare to use remote desktop software just in case?

The app cannot pre-load games.

Chronoja

The 3rd of 3 games I theorized should redeem on steam which can no longer be bought from the store front or are listed in the retail key list arrived today.

007 Legends. I can confirm that the code in the retail box of this game redeems on steam.

Pretty good. I still think Saw would register if it had a key but 2 out of 3 is a good result.

Grief.exe

The Android app should be fine, just leave your computer on at home and use the app when the preload goes live.

I've never preloaded with the app though, it should work.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The Android app should be fine, just leave your computer on at home and use the app when the preload goes live.

I've never preloaded with the app though, it should work.
The app cannot pre-load games.

Thanks for the replies.

What if I access my account through the web site? Same restriction?

edit: sounds like you have to reboot Steam for an unreleased game to change to pre-loadable status. Guess I better figure out a free remote desktop solution. Any advice?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Still on the fence about RE6 guys. I liked 4 and even 5. Halp? Do I want it?

Or is it as bad as everyone says?

It's got good core mechanics (although they are somewhat obtuse) but the campaigns are very uneven. I was probably annoyed/bored at least as often as I was entertained. And that goes for all 4 campaigns.

I'm a huge RE4 fan, and I still own RE5, but I sold 6 back after a couple weeks.

Dr Dogg

Thanks for the replies.

What if I access my account through the web site? Same restriction?

edit: sounds like you have to reboot Steam for an unreleased game to change to pre-loadable status. Guess I better figure out a free remote desktop solution. Any advice?

Something like Hamachi or any other VPN client on both your PC and laptop and Remote Desktop Connection. Leave the PC you want BioShock to preload to on and then log into it with RDC using the IP address that the VPN client gives you and control it remotely. Simple and fool proof.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is anyone playing the PC version of RE6 yet? I haven't had time to play it yet. Hopefully it runs nicely. Any deets on how well co-op works?

Trials Evolution is officially released, too. Hopefully it's in a better state than the beta, but I haven't had time for it either.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Something like Hamachi or any other VPN client on both your PC and laptop and Remote Desktop Connection. Leave the PC you want BioShock to preload to on and then log into it with RDC using the IP address that the VPN client gives you and control it remotely. Simple and fool proof.

Thanks! I'll try this.

Grief.exe

Is anyone playing the PC version of RE6 yet? I haven't had time to play it yet. Hopefully it runs nicely. Any deets on how well co-op works?

MT Framework is pretty much always a sure bet on solid performance.

Found this on reddit.

The Resident Evil 6 PC port releases in a few hours on Steam, but some people have already gotten the game and have been playing it. I downloaded the game to see how well it's optimized, and it's surprisingly very well optimized. I wasn't sure on purchasing the game after all the outcry about how terrible it was when it was released on consoles, but it's actually a decently done port.
The game first starts you off where you can configure regular graphic options like resolution, FXAA options, and framerate options, which can be set from 30, 60, or variable, as well as an option for V-Sync. With V-Sync off by default, there is TERRIBLE screen tearing, so that must be turned on for me or it's unplayable.
Once you set the regular options, the game starts, and once it's saved, you can exit and go to the main menu, which has more options, and even allows you to change different FOV settings which I was thinking wasn't included, but can only be accessed via the main menu options. There are three different FOV options for different things like aiming, the FOV amount of view while running and moving, and one other option. The odd thing, is that the options are default at "0" and go up to "15". I've set all three options to "15" and it is MUCH better than the default options. I'm thinking setting it at "15" must be around a FOV of 85 or 90. I'm thinking the FOV is default at 75, so 15+75=90, but I could be wrong.
All in all, the game seems pretty decent at best, but I thought I would post here and let anyone interested to know that there are the usual PC options and does include FOV options.
Here are some screen shots of all of the main graphic options you can choose from, to get a good idea.
I played through the entire first part, then choose the Leon campaign, and went through quite a bit of the first area, and I believe it ran at 60 FPS the entire time except during cut scenes, where it would dip to 20-30 FPS for about 1 second and then jump back up to normal.

Graphics Settings

wf7VrId.jpg

Default FOV

5GvZxno.jpg

Increased FOV

pwlXgGR.jpg

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1ash48/the_pc_port_of_resident_evil_6_is_surprisingly/

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Trials Evolution is officially released, too. Hopefully it's in a better state than the beta, but I haven't had time for it either.
It shouldn't be too difficult to be better than a game that crashes to desktop every 5 minutes.

Did the devs ever acknowledge my post on the beta forums? I guess not.

nexen

So, um, that Super Hexagon game about gave me a nervous breakdown last night.

Excellent use of $1.

Bought Fly'N after playing the demo. That game is extremely well done. I highly recommend trying the demo.

Dr Dogg

Give a whole new definition to '3rd person shooter'

Hahaha. Most console centric PC ports have horrid FOV that makes me quite nauseous. Even on a tv at distance it seams like you've breached the characters intimate space. 80° minimum for 3rd and 100° for 1st should be the rule not the exception.

Anyway I think I'm going to pass on RE6 until it's an offer to good to refuse. Plus Revelations sounds like a hark back to the series' roots. That and Raid mode sounds like a co-op version of The Forth Survivor from 2.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So, um, that Super Hexagon game about gave me a nervous breakdown last night.

Excellent use of $1.

Bought Fly'N after playing the demo. That game is extremely well done. I highly recommend trying the demo.
Yup, Super Hexagon is very intense. And the Fly'N demo sold me the game too. It's really beautiful, and the controls feel tight. Exactly what I want from a platformer.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anyway I think I'm going to pass on RE6 until it's an offer to good to refuse. Plus Revelations sounds like a hark back to the series' roots. That and Raid mode sounds like a co-op version of The Forth Survivor from 2.

I'm more excited to play Revelaiton's campaign, but the combat is my favorite thing in modern Resident Evil games and RE6 seems a little deeper in that regard. It sounds like it expands on RE5 in a lot of ways, so Mercenaries mode should kick some ass. I'm looking forward to both, I love that modern RE flavor of gameplay. Fuck Operation Raccoon City, though, that game doesn't count.

nexen

Yup, Super Hexagon is very intense. And the Fly'N demo sold me the game too. It's really beautiful, and the controls feel tight. Exactly what I want from a platformer.

I managed about 30s in Super Hexagon.

Salsa has over double my score. Just .... how?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I managed about 30s in Super Hexagon.

Salsa has over double my score. Just .... how?

I swear, some people are built for Super Hexagon, and some aren't. I couldn't reach the end of Hexagonest if my life depended on it. But for the record I've barely played the Steam version, my times on iOS are much better.

nexen

I swear, some people are built for Super Hexagon, and some aren't. I couldn't reach the end of Hexagonest if my life depended on it. But for the record I've barely played the Steam version, my times on iOS are much better.

I could see that. Most of my games are 10s or under. That 30s one I zoned out on. I wrecked the moment my brain said "holy shit, this is the longest I've been"

There is something very zen about this game.

Grief.exe

I wonder what the pre-order incentives for RE:R are going to be.

You know, these pre-order rewards are actually very smart for the publisher.

Sure you are losing some money, when these games go on sale undoubtly some of the people would have bought them. But their profit margin for these older games are incredibly small.

Meanwhile, selling a new game for $60, the profit margins are significantly larger. Why not add in some of these older games to incentivise the deal?

Nillansan

Alright, I knuckled under to all the Super Hexagon love in this thread. I bought Proteus as well, it will serve as a means to stabilize my heart rate after a session of Super Hexagon.

Dr Dogg

And for a second I though you meant the game cycled backwards like an old Speccy game Penatrator (shmup that never ended, once you beat it you played it in reverse over and over again).

I have no idea what part, if any of your brain you'd need to play Super Hexagon. Seeing as I work with primitives every day in InDesign and Illustrator I'd probably end up with PTSD if I jumped on the Super Hexagon bandwagon.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wow, Brutal Legend's opening segment with the car looks ridiculously gorgeous in this port. The SSAO and draw distance slider really inject depth into the world too.

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, Brutal Legend's opening segment with the car looks ridiculously gorgeous in this port. The SSAO and draw distance slider really inject depth into the world too.
I thought you had played through it on PC a few weeks ago? Did you restart since the last 5 patches or so updated things?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It was Quackshot. Ducktales NES is probably a 3ds remake because I actually want it.

The Ducktales announcement does certainly show that Disney is willing to play ball with this stuff though, so hopefully we see a port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom