• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

Great news. La-Mulana is now up for preorder on Steam. The official release date is April 15th.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/230700/?snr=1_7_15__13

(those that preorder will get the customary 10% off)

Will this get more Japanese devs to release games on PC because if it is, I will buy it. Just waiting for your confir-

57QCvl9.png

whoops

#moneywheremamouthis

Caerith

What are some of the best graphically intensive games that aren't shooters?
Arkham Asylum and Arkham City have a lot of PhysX extras.

Trine is rather pretty. Runs on everything, but rather pretty.

Spec Ops: The Line is technically a shooter, but everyone just plays it on easy for the story and environments.

Hotline Miami looks like an acid trip on even the strongest of video cards.

Portal is also technically a shooter, but you only have one gun and it creates portals.

Dark Souls, DSFixed and upscaled, can be pretty impressive from what I've seen in the screenshot thread.

Blizzard

Banned
Witcher 2 and Mirror's Edge look nice (Mirror's Edge can have guns, but it's primarily a running game).

Just Cause 2 is a shooter but not a first-person shooter, if that distinction helps.

Skyrim can look nice and probably eat video cards with mods, but that's going to take some research and effort since it's not out of the box.

Grief.exe

Morrowind/Skyrim/Oblivion (modded)

Witcher 2

Dark Souls (actually has some amazing texture work in places. And the atmosphere is excellent)

Arkham Games

Mirror's Edge (has some shooting elements)

Sleeping Dogs (Has some shooting elements)

Don't have any screenshots because SLI causes all of the shots to be black.

Dr Dogg

"Ooooh Arkham City has Physx as well. Well lets test this out."

*runs benchmark with Physx on high, gets 5fps average*

"Hey? That shouldn't happen"

*turn Physx down to medium and switches to DX9, gets 50fps average*

Considering Asylym was quite a polished port City was marketed to be an nVidia ace with DX11 and all the latest Physx features that crippled pretty much any system at launch. Sort of fixed now but I'm long since done with it.

Mirrors edge is still one of the most graphical stunning games that uses Physx. If you want to see how pretty this game can be go check out Corky's pics in the downsampling thread.

Caerith

dont confuse graphically intensive with terrible physx/dx11 implementation

perhaps they fixed it but that shit was broken on release
I had about six months of not having access to my save thanks to GFWL, but yeah they mostly seem to have fixed it during that time.

Grief.exe

But does Jase do recommendations? I'll guess no, since he's admitted to having no intention of playing most (?) of the games he owns.

The only one he has up is Kentucky Route Zero

Combining traditional point-and-click gameplay with interstitial text-based sequences not unlike adventure games of old, Kentucky Route Zero is as surreal as it is enigmatic, approaching a tonal spectrum that is almost Lynchian. The game's superbly concise writing, rudimentary but muted visual style and sporadic though no less deliberate use of audio coalesce to create a palpable atmosphere of isolation and uncertainty, punctuated by player choices that feel less preordained by the almost imperceivable current of the underlying narrative and more organically introspective -- every soul you meet has the aura of a troubled past, and if you play your cards right you may find yourself privy to a story or two.

Despite the game's strong first showing, it's hard to recommend at $25 considering it's still several months away from being a complete package, so those of you on the fence may wish to wait for the Summer Sale before tuning in.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
are steam keys region-free? I have xcom and bioshock infinite coming from GMG that I don't need anymore, but I'm in the UK so not sure if they can be redeemed by someone outside of the UK/Europe?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I could try to redeem one to find out. -_^

I think they work anywhere.

are steam keys region-free? I have xcom and bioshock infinite coming from GMG that I don't need anymore, but I'm in the UK so not sure if they can be redeemed by someone outside of the UK/Europe?

some keys are region locked but the majority aren't. I'm pretty sure the keys you have aren't (also would gladly test that xcom key for you :)

Witcher 2 is what this dude is looking for.

Yea, I'll play Witcher 2. I bought it last year during the summer sale but never played it since my PC sucked. I'm building a new one, and it should be ready to go by tomorrow, and it's going to be pretty much ultimate extreme specs. So I'm going to give it a try now.

Dark Souls would be amazing, if I hadn't already played and beaten it on Console :(

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
gotta be fair here: 7extonly beats Jase. By far.

dude is also like a scholar. He buys every single game there is, even full $60 releases, plays them, and writes a recommendation

iRi9UZTlLpKkZ.PNG

having him on your friend list is like improving steam's core features

he's also from Australia so yeah everyone there has steam fever

Yeah 7ext's almost to 4,000 profile count, far more than Jase or I (I'm currently at 2,930). Been friends with him since last summer and help him out with his collecting habits when he needs stuff at US prices. He does buy pretty much everything and I reckon he has enough money to not give a shit about waiting for sales, unlike Jase and I and the other hoarders on my list. To the extent of buying a copy of the same exact game from every region it's available. Yeah.

He's a great guy and pretty informed with everything pertaining to Steam. Sometimes too nice and I've seen people transparently try to take advantage of him to get free games and shit, which I'm no stranger to myself, so I actually talked with him about this at one point in time. So no one get any big ideas of adding him for that purpose because I've already warned him. :D

Is he on GAF?

Xelios does a fair amount of recommendation write ups too

Last I asked, which was a long time ago, his GAF account wasn't approved or something, not sure of the status at this point. I'd like to see him around these parts though. Edit: Seems he's still not in and will have to apply again.

I do write them, but a bit different in that I usually don't until I'm completely finished with a game, so they come along much slower (especially since I've barely been playing lately).

Reminds me of that starting camp in Suikoden III.

Dr Dogg

Well in my quest to start actually playing some of the stuff I've bought just fired up They Bleed Pixels. Totally mental action platformer with a weird Lovecraftian story underpinning it. Either my skills are a little blunt or this game doesn't fuck around but it's all awesome. Should be on sale so if your a glutton for punishment or want something Meat Boy-ish but get to beat the crap out of your foes look no further.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So Evoland seems a little like DLC Quest only not hideous and maybe more substantial. Hmm.
How is it like DLC quest, a side scrolling game? It looks like a Zelda style game that starts with 8bit style visuals and progresses through various stages until modern 3D. Kind of like Genetos did for shmups, showing the genre evolution.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well in my quest to start actually playing some of the stuff I've bought just fired up They Bleed Pixels. Totally mental action platformer with a weird Lovecraftian story underpinning it. Either my skills are a little blunt or this game doesn't fuck around but it's all awesome. Should be on sale so if your a glutton for punishment or want something Meat Boy-ish but get to beat the crap out of your foes look no further.
I played 3 or 4 levels of it. It's really good, but WAY too hard for me.

Salsa

All-Stars Racing Transformed's unlocked Expert mode is downright fucking EVIL

nothing like kart racers to lose your fuckin shit

oipic

Thanks you two, When my wife spots just how many games i have got on steam (only really started pc gaming just before xmas), I can use you two as defence. "It could be worse, just look at these purchases from one day"

I like your thinking, ht.

Jase, I've sent you a friend request - may need to refer to your Steam habits during relationship counselling.

Is Community down for anyone else?

Edit: of course, just had to ask the question here for it to come good. Never mind!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
How is it like DLC quest, a side scrolling game? It looks like a Zelda style game that starts with 8bit style visuals and progresses through various stages until modern 3D. Kind of like Genetos did for shmups, showing the genre evolution.

Both games deliberately restrict you from performing certain actions (such as the ability to move left) or withhold audiovisual improvements until you achieve certain objectives (paying up in DLC Quest, and...presumably finding treasure chests? in Evo) Though they obviously use wildly different justifications for this (the former satirizing the overuse of DLC, the latter at least partly as homage to hardware restrictions found in older games) in both, unlocking all the features of the game is...a very important objective of the game.

Your example is probably a better one, though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom