• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Salsa

also again: there's a burning rangers track

burning_rangers_sequel.jpg

this is Saturn: Fan Service the game

I don't think I can buy Transformed. I'd probably end up playing the Panzer Dragoon track on repeat with tears running down my cheeks the whole time.

Blizzard

Banned
Here's an alpha release of one of a couple of drivers and/or driver utilities people are making for the 360 wireless controller with chatpad. Unlike my wired drivers, I don't think this requires the whole F8 on reboot to allow unsigned drivers things, since I think it just runs on top of libusb. On the flip side, I think it may replace the existing wireless 360 drivers, so you may have limited controller functionality until everythin gets implemented.

http://thepocketofresistance.wordpress.com/

Derrick01

Banned
Late to the party, but when did Steam add these preorder rewards? Just bought Infinite and got Bioshock and X-COM free.

That was awesome!

Some time last year. I know Xcom was one of them now because when I launched TF2 the other day to collect my Bioshock items I was bombarded with Xcom items too.

GMG/Amazon are still better options. They normally match the free games Steam gives away and at least in GMG's case you can still usually knock off $10-$20 from the base price of the game.

Rapstah

I basically bought Infinite for the preorder bonuses. While it's possible they'll be on sale for basically nothing in some sale soon, I don't think Infinite itself will be, so they're a pretty decent package that way. Bioshock is being a technical mess on me, though, and it looks way worse than I remember the demo looking in 2007 for some reason.

Cheddahz

Banned
I know but I bought the first one and barely touched it. I think that and Mario Kart Wii have soured me on the genre.
I barely played the first one as well, but Transformed improves on the original game so much that it feels really fresh

Mario Kart needs to get on with the master of kart racing

Salsa

7 TF2 items alone make Infinite the best pre-order yet.

specially now with the steam market and the ease in wich you can sell them

throw X-COM, wich is barely old, on top and yup.

Salsa

I HATE the first All-Stars Racing. The sense of speed just wasnt there. It was awful.

Transformed is fantastic. It's a completely different game, other than the drift mechanic.

Danj

7 TF2 items alone make Infinite the best pre-order yet.

specially now with the steam market and the ease in wich you can sell them

throw X-COM, wich is barely old, on top and yup.

What's the deal with that Market thing anyway? Most of the TF2 items I have don't appear to be sellable on it? Including the ones I got for BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider.

HoosTrax

What's the deal with that Market thing anyway? Most of the TF2 items I have don't appear to be sellable on it? Including the ones I got for BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider.
Those are never sellable until a few days after the game goes gold.

What are the best Total War games?

Shogun 2 by far:

- Best aesthetics. They nailed the Japanese theme and it's one of the best looking games on the market.

- Offers just as much battlefield depth as any other game in the series. Naval battles are decent.

- Better world map game. It's almost as fun just to skip the battles, and instead spend time managing diplomacy etc and swinging your big military dick around to win the numbers game, Advance Wars style.

- The old TW games are too dated now imo. Shogun 2 is very easy to get into, a perfect balance between depth and accessibility.

- Rise and Fall of the Samurai are some very good DLC.

Salsa

they take a while to get "tradable", but eventually you will be able to

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Shogun 2 by far
For me it loads like shit, looks like shit, and runs like shit. I tried to get it working right for weeks because the other games were flawless. I don't know what went wrong, but I couldn't handle how jacked up it was so I never got into actually playing for real.

Blizzard

Banned
For me it loads like shit, looks like shit, and runs like shit. I tried to get it working right for weeks because the other games were flawless. I don't know what went wrong, but I couldn't handle how jacked up it was so I never got into actually playing for real.
What CPU do you have? As far as I know the Total War games are big on CPU because of all the simulation and units etc.

you are not one of us if you don't buy Infinite. Be one of us.

kiefersutherlandl.jpg

I forced Salsa to buy the game for me in exchange for money.

Thanks Salsa!

I barely played the first one as well, but Transformed improves on the original game so much that it feels really fresh

Mario Kart needs to get on with the master of kart racing

I HATE the first All-Stars Racing. The sense of speed just wasnt there. It was awful.

Transformed is fantastic. It's a completely different game, other than the drift mechanic.

You guys don't make this easy for me.

Taking about 1 or 2 minutes to load initially seems to be an unfortunate problem for many, myself included. It seemed to come along in one of the earlier game updates. I don't think it's a major issue however since it's the sort of game you play for hours on end after that.

Not sure what you're smoking with looks like shit. Perhaps you should buy a better PC.

uhmm Borderlands 2 is at 9.99 squids (discount code aside) at Gamefly.co.uk, but that offer is only available to UK residents :\

could anyone from the UK buy it for me? I will paypal

neverming I got it from GMG for 13.60€

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Not sure what you're smoking with looks like shit. Perhaps you should buy a better PC.
I'm ready to fully blame ATI. It has weird graphical issues like anti-aliasing not applying if water or DoF effects are behind the object. Like it will literally go from perfectly smooth to jaggy right where the line passes over that in the background. Then there are major art issues between the textures and tessellation, making many units awkward even at highest settings (unlike screenshots, so again I'm guessing driver issues). Empire and Napoleon don't have these consistency problems and the IQ is waaaay better.

At first things were worse because if you set the textures to ultra but it doesn't think you have enough VRAM (like 2GB) it'll drop them to "low" without telling you, but even after learning about such things and moderating stuff and trying different DX modes and all, it just doesn't look good, even compared to scaled-down settings on the other TW games. I've even taken screens of Medieval 2 where the IQ and texturework result in a much better look. I'm not saying it's this way for everyone, and I bought the game on the basis of the demo which was just fine.

If it can happen for me it can happen for another and there is some risk involved that I feel the need to mention. I bought it in the whole pack, so it was very, very disappointing to realize it was so busted. I definitely will try it again whenever I upgrade my computer, which will have an nVidia card as ATI pissed me off too many times.

I'm ready to fully blame ATI. It has weird graphical issues like anti-aliasing not applying if water or DoF effects are behind the object. Like it will literally go from perfectly smooth to jaggy right where the line passes over that in the background. Then there are major art issues between the textures and tessellation, making many units awkward even at highest settings (unlike screenshots, so again I'm guessing driver issues). Empire and Napoleon don't have these consistency problems and the IQ is waaaay better.

At first things were worse because if you set the textures to ultra but it doesn't think you have enough VRAM (like 2GB) it'll drop them to "low" without telling you, but even after learning about such things and moderating stuff and trying different DX modes and all, it just doesn't look good, even compared to scaled-down settings on the other TW games. I've even taken screens of Medieval 2 where the IQ and texturework result in a much better look. I'm not saying it's this way for everyone, and I bought the game on the basis of the demo which was just fine.

If it can happen for me it can happen for another and there is some risk involved that I feel the need to mention. I bought it in the whole pack, so it was very, very disappointing to realize it was so busted. I definitely will try it again whenever I upgrade my computer, which will have an nVidia card as ATI pissed me off too many times.

I get the water and DOF issue as well, I think it's possibly the way the game handles AA with these effects. Perhaps an SMAA injector would do the trick.

I am using an Nvidia card and have experience no other issues you mention, so it probably is some sort of ATI issue.

Been playing Magical Drop V.

After a while, for those still on the edge about this, consider if you like games like Critter Crunch, Shatter and such. This is a VS game though. It is voiced in japanese, be advised.

It's cute as a button but I have yet to grasp the mechanics to do proper combos. I'm playing with a 360 pad and it's ok control-wise. I have no idea what was broken in this game though so I can't say. Played story and beat like 6 characters before I got my lower rear handed.

I don't know, for $2.50 I would give it a go, could be fun if you have a friend to play it with too!

So, I need spiritual assistance:

Nights into Dreams $2.79 at GMG. Yay? Nay? Wait for 75% off at a later date?

Also, could anyone kindly point me at the Steam sale list that was floating around? Thanks in advance.

Shantom

is it actually a retail game though or just a digital game on a disc? i.e does it need the disc to run or not? If not I'd happily buy at that price and then just treat the disc as a fast download mechanism.

It'll register on Steam, so it doesn't need the disc.

catabarez

Been playing Magical Drop V.

After a while, for those still on the edge about this, consider if you like games like Critter Crunch, Shatter and such. This is a VS game though. It is voiced in japanese, be advised.

It's cute as a button but I have yet to grasp the mechanics to do proper combos. I'm playing with a 360 pad and it's ok control-wise. I have no idea what was broken in this game though so I can't say. Played story and beat like 6 characters before I got my lower rear handed.

I don't know, for $2.50 I would give it a go, could be fun if you have a friend to play it with too!

So, I need spiritual assistance:

Nights into Dreams $2.79 at GMG. Yay? Nay? Wait for 75% off at a later date?

Also, could anyone kindly point me at the Steam sale list that was floating around? Thanks in advance.

Lol are you willing to wait until a 75% sale so you can save 29 cents? Whatever the answer is should decide for you.

Lol are you willing to wait until a 75% sale so you can save 29 cents? Whatever the answer is should decide for you.

No, I'm more curious about the game if anything :p Did anyone play the PC version? How is it?

It's that I'm a bit concerned about system specs. Sonic Generations had some hiccups on my comp (which is really just too old so I'm saving for an upgrade) so I'm wondering about the performance.

is it actually a retail game though or just a digital game on a disc? i.e does it need the disc to run or not? If not I'd happily buy at that price and then just treat the disc as a fast download mechanism.
It's Steamworks iirc so you don't need the disk at all.

Grief.exe

Last minute cheapest place to buy Bioshock Infinite?

GMG $46 after cash back. Comes with Infinite, Bioshock 1, and your choice of other game.

Steam $45 (if you find a Brazillian). Comes with Bioshock 1, XCOM, and TF2 hats.

Amazon deal:

Amazon's pre-order for Bioshock Infinite was updated.

Pre-order from Amazon and get XCOM for free, along with one $30 credit towards 2K games. This can be used towards the season pass, but only after 30 days.

So pre-order from Amazon, get the season pass and XCOM for free.

Alternatively, the credit can be used on Amazon's 2K Mega Pack, which includes Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Borderlands: GOTY, CivCity Rome, Duke Nukem Forever, Mafia II, Civ V, Civ IV, and stronghold collection.

Seems like a pretty solid deal.

UPDATE ON BIOSHOCK INFINITE PRE-ORDER:

FYI we have added XCOM: Enemy Unknown to the Amazon Bioshock Infinite Pre-order offer (Digital). Customers who pre-order Bioshock Infinite will get: A credit good towards the full price of XCOM, usable only on XCOM, in addition to the $30 credit towards more 2K games, when the game launches.

I'm fairly certain that this makes our offer the most compelling in the channel .

Cheers,
Tony

Not for the first 30 days, basically the credit will work on anything except things within a 30 day launch window. Once the 30 day launch window is over I'll add anything that launches in 2013 to the benefit set for the promotion.

I'll be responding from mobile the rest of the day, headed out!

Cheers,
Tony

source: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10587073#post10587073

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom