• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No, I'm more curious about the game if anything :p Did anyone play the PC version? How is it?

It's that I'm a bit concerned about system specs. Sonic Generations had some hiccups on my comp (which is really just too old so I'm saving for an upgrade) so I'm wondering about the performance.
I played a couple of levels of it, with Saturn graphics. It plays fine, the controls are good and it looks nice, though very blocky of course. I haven't tried the revamped graphics yet, and had never played the game before getting it on Steam.

If you can run Generations, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to play Nights.

I played a couple of levels of it, with Saturn graphics. It plays fine, the controls are good and it looks nice, though very blocky of course. I haven't tried the revamped graphics yet, and had never played the game before getting it on Steam.

If you can run Generations, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to play Nights.

Guess that settles things for me then! Thanks.

Exile550

''This can be used towards the season pass, but only after 30 days.''

Damn, I would have like to know that 10 minutes ago before i pre-ordered it on greenman gaming. sigh...

Ledsen

So guys how's the track design in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed? Not talking visually.
I'm looking at videos and all the tracks are so wide you might as well be racing on an open plain. Nothing at all like the tight stages of the SNES Super Mario Kart, which is my gold standard for kart racing track design.

HoosTrax

So guys how's the track design in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed? Not talking visually.
I'm looking at videos and all the tracks are so wide you might as well be racing on an open plain. Nothing at all like the tight stages of the SNES Super Mario Kart, which is my gold standard for kart racing track design.
There are two rainbow road-esque tracks, and many of the later tracks are substantially more technical and tighter than the early-on open tracks. Burning Rangers is one where you really need to take care with your driving or you'll be scraping the walls constantly and losing ground.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Earlier today I finished the main campaign of DLC Quest. It's a fun little parody game, and it has better controls than I thought it would. Of course, it doesn't matter at all since you can't die.

I have one achievement left before getting to the second campaign, but I don't know where the missing lamb or NPC is. Maybe I'll forget about it, complete the rest of the game and start another one.

You guys think it's worth buying a ~$2.25 key to open this crate?

The Chargin' Targe
Grenade Launcher
Stickybomb Launcher
The Eyelander
Hustler's Hallmark
Tippler's Tricorne
Taunt: The Schadenfreude
or an Exceedingly Rare Special Item!

There's not even a Schadenfreude on the marketplace, and the crate by itself averages over $4 on Marketplace.

moojito

The Chargin' Targe
Grenade Launcher
Stickybomb Launcher
The Eyelander
Hustler's Hallmark
Tippler's Tricorne

There's not even a Schadenfreude on the marketplace, and the crate by itself averages over $4 on Marketplace.

The only reason I'd buy a single key would be to get a red paperclip to start some kind of trading empire.

Grief.exe

The Chargin' Targe
Grenade Launcher
Stickybomb Launcher
The Eyelander
Hustler's Hallmark
Tippler's Tricorne

In my opinion, you would have better luck selling it.

The only thing of value in that crate is the Taunt (worth 1 key), Strange Grenade Launcher (Worth 6 keys), or an unusual.

Of those three, the taunt is actually worth less than just selling the crate, and the unusual is almost impossible to end up with.

Crate Series #19

Chargin' Targe 21.00%
Grenade Launcher 21.00%
Stickybomb Launcher 21.00%
Eyelander 21.00%
Hustler's Hallmark 5.00%
Tippler's Tricorne 5.00%
Schadenfreude 5.00%
Unusual 1.00%

The Chargin' Targe
Grenade Launcher
Stickybomb Launcher
The Eyelander
Hustler's Hallmark
Tippler's Tricorne

Uncrating is a fool's gamble, every single one of those items barring the grenade launcher is worth less than a key. There are rare crates that stack the odds in your favour, but ultimately people uncrate for the hopes of an unusual.

Dr Dogg

Ohhhhhhh why did you guys have to keep banging on about Transformed. I've had in and out of my cart for the past 3 hours. Is it really that good? It's either this or a bunch of stuff in the Indie sale. I know I'll probably bash through Transformed until Infinite unlocks and will more than likely leave most Indie purchases uninstalled but thinking about the games count numbers. Gah.

Grief.exe

why in the world is RE6 "Resident Evil 6 / Biohazard 6"? will they change that?

I'd imagine.

Hidden Path had Age of Empires II still set to its development name of Kaos when it was first available for pre-order.

They updated it later. I just have a feeling Capcom, or whoever they have handling the port, hasn't noticed the problem. Or doesn't deem it high enough on their list of priorities to fix it yet.

Likely its just a quick Steam database entry update.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The RE series is called Biohazard in Japan (like how Mega Man is called Rockman)... and I guess they want to display both names. Not sure why they don't just change the name if the client language is Japanese, though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The RE series is called Biohazard in Japan (like how Mega Man is called Rockman)... and I guess they want to display both names. Not sure why they don't just change the name if the client language is Japanese, though.
That's stupid if true. The first game of the new Prince of Persia trilogy (or 4-logy now) doesn't appear as "The Sands of Time/Las Arenas del Tiempo", even though that's what it's called here.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That's stupid if true. The first game of the new Prince of Persia trilogy (or 4-logy now) doesn't appear as "The Sands of Time/Las Arenas del Tiempo", even though that's what it's called here.

Well it's a little bit different because in that case it's just a literal translation of the words from English to Spanish, whereas with RE it's because the whole series has a completely different name elsewhere in the world. The closest comparison on Steam would probably be Indigo Prophecy -- does that appear as Fahrenheit in Europe or does it have both names? I seem to remember it being just Indigo Prophecy in my client?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
is anyone having trouble with GMG not showing any keys or game in your inventory.

They've removed those sections for now from the website as a huge number of people were logging in to have a look to see if their Bioshock Infinite keys were available yet, which in turn was affecting the sending of keys by email.

I hate the way it says 'Loading' though instead of a message. Had me checking for bloody ages.

Hellix

They addressed this on the Steam forums:

We understand how wonky it is to see RE6/BH6 in the game list, but we need to keep it in the current format due to technical (explained below) and regional trademark/branding requirements.

This unfortunately is the side effect of sharing the same code base and underlying application ID between Japan (Bioharzard 6) and rest of world (Resident Evil 6).

We need to do this in order to maintain application compatibility worldwide which in turn allows us to unify matchmaking, achievements, and leaderboards.

RE5 PC version, on the other hand, was never released in Japan (except for retail) so we were able to keep the RE5 name on Steam.

Dr Dogg

Well sod it snapped up Virtua Tennis 4 and Sonic Racing Transformed (When Derrick says he's enjoyed a game there can't be anything wrong with it).

I'd hazard a guess (not of the Bio variety) that this is more to do with Steam only having one entry per title so this is a catch all name for Japan and everyone else. To be fair how many games are available on Steam in Japan? Aren't most of them region locked? Konami I think doesn't have a single title available over there if I remember right.

The closest comparison on Steam would probably be Indigo Prophecy -- does that appear as Fahrenheit in Europe or does it have both names? I seem to remember it being just Indigo Prophecy in my client?

Bit hard to tell seeing as it's been removed and I didn't pick it up but the community page shows up as Indigo Prophecy. Same as on Xbox GoD.

esai

They've removed those sections for now from the website as a huge number of people were logging in to have a look to see if their Bioshock Infinite keys were available, yet which in turn was affecting the sending of keys by email.

I hate the way it says 'Loading' though instead of a message. Had me checking for bloody ages.

oh, ok thanks. so they will email me the x-com key also?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
oh, ok thanks. so they will email me the x-com key also?

I think so yeah but you'll get it on the website eventually, I think they've just been completely overwhelmed by the number of people who've bought Bioshock Infinite from them.

esai

I think so yeah but you'll get it on the website eventually, I think they've just been completely overwhelmed by the number of people who've bought Bioshock Infinite from them.

then ill have to wait. just saw my codes for civ 5 and bioshock. still waiting on the others.

I'd imagine.

Hidden Path had Age of Empires II still set to its development name of Kaos when it was first available for pre-order.

They updated it later. I just have a feeling Capcom, or whoever they have handling the port, hasn't noticed the problem. Or doesn't deem it high enough on their list of priorities to fix it yet.

Likely its just a quick Steam database entry update.

That's likely true, but you'd be surprised how many developers just don't give a shit.

For example, how many games don't even have a proper "games list" picture? Here's the ones that I have in my inventory with this issue:

• Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Secret of the Silver Earring
  • DotA 2 Test (Never even played vanilla DotA 2)
  • East India Company: Battle of Trafalhar (despite the main game and expansions having them)
  • Noitu Love 2 Devolution
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
  • Legacy of Kain: Defiance
  • Midnight Mysteries: The Edgar Allen Poe Conspiracy
  • Sacred 2 Gold (despite the original Sacred Gold having one)

Some developers went back and fixed them. For instance, I think id went pack and put them in for all of their old games when they added Steam achievements to them. But most don't seem to care at all. Hell, I even emailed the developer of the Sherlock Holmes games asking them to do it. They responded back that they would within a couple of weeks. They never did.

OCD can sure be a pain in the ass, sometimes.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well it's a little bit different because in that case it's just a literal translation of the words from English to Spanish, whereas with RE it's because the whole series has a completely different name elsewhere in the world. The closest comparison on Steam would probably be Indigo Prophecy -- does that appear as Fahrenheit in Europe or does it have both names? I seem to remember it being just Indigo Prophecy in my client?
You may be right, yeah. I still think they should only change it on the corresponding region, instead of using both names everywhere.

I miss your Milú (Snowy) avatar :(

I'd hazard a guess (not of the Bio variety) that this is more to do with Steam only having one entry per title so this is a catch all name for Japan and everyone else. To be fair how many games are available on Steam in Japan? Aren't most of them region locked? Konami I think doesn't have a single title available over there if I remember right.
According to what Hellix posted above you, you guessed right. Maybe there's no other way of doing it without having to create a separate database entry for the Japanese version, but it still sucks.

Kabouter

lslOfyQ.png

(Stupid GTA double entries)

Grief.exe

They addressed this on the Steam forums:

We understand how wonky it is to see RE6/BH6 in the game list, but we need to keep it in the current format due to technical (explained below) and regional trademark/branding requirements.

This unfortunately is the side effect of sharing the same code base and underlying application ID between Japan (Bioharzard 6) and rest of world (Resident Evil 6).

We need to do this in order to maintain application compatibility worldwide which in turn allows us to unify matchmaking, achievements, and leaderboards.

RE5 PC version, on the other hand, was never released in Japan (except for retail) so we were able to keep the RE5 name on Steam.

Ah it seems Valve needs to update their internal systems.

lslOfyQ.png

(Stupid GTA double entries)

I wish they still sold Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit on Steam

:(

Got it on my GOG wishlist.

p52yrPY.png

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I can't decide if I should grab anti chamber or not. Anyone here played it?

I like it, it's interesting, but I wouldn't pay $12 for it. It's rather short as well, although that's probably a good thing because otherwise the novelty would wear off before you got to the end.

Hey guys, what's that program called that deletes unnecessary Steam files to free up space? Also, is there something like that for Windows 7 in general? The OS by itself is taking yo 27GB on my SSD :(.

Note: I already removed my Page File.

Kabouter

Same with Civ IV Complete. Which is a right pain seeing as I play it on a laptop at home and a Mac at work so usually have them both in Favorites. Only few titles that are Steamplay but have separate entries.

Yeah, I have that too, incredibly annoying. Worst of all is Sam & Max though, despite not being Steamplay. Separate entries for every episode, pads the game list like nobody's business.

It is Indigo Prophecy on Steam in Australia too. I'm pretty sure when I played it on Xbox it was Fahrenheit here though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I keep the removed-from-steam games in the top part of my wishlist just in case I ever won one of those steam community wishlist thingymajiggers.

Then Valve stopped being fun during sales. I'll never see Indigo Prophecy on my steam account :(

friday

I like it, it's interesting, but I wouldn't pay $12 for it. It's rather short as well, although that's probably a good thing because otherwise the novelty would wear off before you got to the end.

Cool, I will wait till it is around the $5 mark then.

Salsa

yeah i'd wait on antichamber. My impressions are a couple pages back:

I really dont know how I feel about antichamber

I like some of it. I like the a-ha moment of figuring out the puzzles, but man, it falls apart in other areas.

I enjoy how they explain nothing to you in any moment, but at the same time the game expects you to do certain things that are so far fetched that I couldnt believe I figured it out

sometimes I even brute-forced my way through some of the puzzles because the game allowed me to and I couldnt tell if that's what I was supposed to do or not

I ended up in areas that apparently I wasnt ready to visit yet, but I never knew that because the game never gave any hint of it being linear, or having to follow a certain path for upgrades and whatnot, but suddenly it is.

so yeah, bashed my head against the wall until I realized there's a "path" and im kinda on it now. Except that many times you try to solve some puzzles for hours only to find out that this particular room wasnt actually to progres the game, but it was a "secret room" with concept art and some other making-of stuff.

not only that: but I easily spent like 2 hours trying to get into a room, convinced that it was the correct way to advance, only to find myself trapped in a room (mind you, this is after solving something like 6 puzzles to get there, hard ones)

I gave up and did a google search: turns out that room is just nothing. Someone linked to a tweet by the dev saying he's planning to "put something there"

it just doesnt do that great of a job of making you feel like you accomplished something. Certainly not to the extent of something like Portal. Feeling like you're making proper progress only to find out that you discovered fucking concept art is.. uh yeah

not to mention that there's no way of backing up from that room, you gotta press ESC and get to the antechamber and select wich room you wanna go to; without any indication of what's the one you should go now. You just hop in on each and hope for the best.

Im still liking it enough, but it's just weird. It's too much. I hate hand-holding but this game has some flaws on what's attempting to do by not showing you anything. If you want me to find my way through the game dont let me brute-force through puzzles and "break" the game, mistakenly make me feel as if im on the right path for hours.

It's also not a OMG HARD game really, it's just kind of exhausting

so yeah, fuck this game, but also dont; because it's good

if that makes any sense.

I already got all the "upgrades" and it seems like im near the end at 7 hours, but I have no idea where im supposed to go and my brain is completely toasted for today

I like it and I dont regret getting it, but you can totally wait for it to be cheaper. It feels unfinished.

It's not THAT short though, im at the end and played for about 9 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom