• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

I have a key for XCOM, and I'm looking to trade it for Fez....but Fez isn't giftable yet? Any idea when thats happening?

Nillansan

I have a key for XCOM, and I'm looking to trade it for Fez....but Fez isn't giftable yet? Any idea when thats happening?

FEZ is not purchasable yet. We don't know if there will be a pre-purchase option yet, but there is an Early Access entry in the Steam Registry.

Sajjaja

I played through Zeno Clash last night. One sitting.

I can't believe I held off playing it for this long. The combat mechanics are deep. The controls feel very responsive (I just wish that they had patched in native controller support). I love the atmosphere and the art direction.

I can't wait for the open world sequel.

Play Dark Messiah Might and Magic. Combat is way better. It's still the best 1st person melee system to date. And its on the Source engine believe it or not.

I started playing bit.trip.runner. I like it because it is addicting and satisfying, but it is the type of game that you shouldn't play if you are even a little bit tired. It also give me sweaty hand syndrome :(

haikira

headerc4dfx.jpg

First to quote me gets a free key for the original Bioshock, redeemable on steam.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
For the people who have Don't Starve, I'm wondering what sort of game it is. Is it a permadeath, no end-game sort of thing; and does it sit up there on the coolest-games-ever shelf along with Binding of Isaac and FTL?
There really isn't an endgame, instead the devs are adding a story mode. Right now there's a sandbox mode (endless mode), custom (sandbox mode with sliders for enemies/resources/environment), and an unfinished version of adventure mode (story mode that rewards you with more sliders for custom mode). In adventure you start out in a world with some pre set challenges (winter at the start for example) and you have to survive long enough to collect the four items required to break out of your world and move on to the next one. Anything you carry through with you into the portal will help you in the next world.

It is a permadeath game, but you can build items that will revive you for a penalty (sanity and health) or you can mod the game to revive you on death.

It's a good game, but I'm trying not to burn myself out before they complete it. You can try out a 20 minute demo in the Chrome Store if you're interested.

Grief.exe

I really know nothing about the tf2 items that I own as I never have seriously played it. I was just holding on to them until they opened up the market to everything and then I'll just dump them.

A lot of that stuff you can sell right now.

Anything Vintage, Strange, Genuine, or Crates can go up on the market.

Your Genuine stuff actually isn't worth that much which surprised me. That Aperture Labs Hard Hat sells for a lot though.

What really is worth a lot is that Treasure Hat, I guarantee you that was what that one guy was after. Hold onto that and keep it tight.

For the people who have Don't Starve, I'm wondering what sort of game it is. Is it a permadeath, no end-game sort of thing; and does it sit up there on the coolest-games-ever shelf along with Binding of Isaac and FTL?

Its not quite on the coolest games ever shelf, but they are updating it constantly.

What it does do well is an isometric Terraria/Minecraft clone with a focus on Survival.

As said, there really isn't an end game right now. You gather resources, and can fight monsters.

There seems to be a lot more going on eventually. I keep finding all these parts on the ground and I have a feeling I can activate this one circle to go to another world or bring a boss in or something.
I've never been able to find all the parts in one playthrough though.

I've gotten about 10-15 hours out of it though and its not even fully updated yet.

Salsa

Is the new "world" reset so you have to collect resources, build a camp all over again, etc.? If so that sounds reasonable, since getting the pieces while surviving would probably be plenty difficult for me.

not sure, never did it!

there's a wiki with plenty of info on everything

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Should've known better than to purchase this Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition after all the noise about its bugginess around the initial release. I figured it would have been patched by now, but the fucking thing won't even launch. I get a crash error immediately upon booting it up.

Goddamnit, I Am Alive has the worst combat. I get the game's idea of challenge (I liked carefully climbing the bridge in episode 1), but it's horribly unpredictable and broken. Example: the first goons you fight after the machete doesn't want you to use the bullet you get from the second guy; the guide says to push them in the pit. I get one at the edge of the pit but pressing E stabs him (and fails) and I get rushed - there's virtually no way to recover after being stabbed once. He's at the fucking edge because he even says he can't go any farther and I STILL can't push him! The first time I tried it I used a bullet and made it to the second fight with the little girl, but you NEED a bullet to succeed. So I was fucked and had to try the whole second episode half a dozen times because the game can't even make a save halfway through after the unskippable cutscene. Get fucked, Ubisoft. You need a better understanding of combat and playtesting.

Grief.exe

Probably a temporary outage. Bioshock preloads are probably destroying Valve's servers at the moment. Give it an hour or so.

I would not be surprised.

Its looking to be a very popular game and its 15 gigs for the base install.

Then everyone is going to be downloading the HD texture pack later, another 10 gigs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I submitted a refund request with Steam for Baldur's Gate. First time I've ever done that in over six years and 500~ games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Goddamnit, I Am Alive has the worst combat. I get the game's idea of challenge (I liked carefully climbing the bridge in episode 1), but it's horribly unpredictable and broken. Example: the first goons you fight after the machete doesn't want you to use the bullet you get from the second guy; the guide says to push them in the pit. I get one at the edge of the pit but pressing E stabs him (and fails) and I get rushed - there's virtually no way to recover after being stabbed once. He's at the fucking edge because he even says he can't go any farther and I STILL can't push him! The first time I tried it I used a bullet and made it to the second fight with the little girl, but you NEED a bullet to succeed. So I was fucked and had to try the whole second episode half a dozen times because the game can't even make a save halfway through after the unskippable cutscene. Get fucked, Ubisoft. You need a better understanding of combat and playtesting.

The real problem is that they couldn't decide if they wanted combat-as-a-puzzle or combat-as-combat. The result is something that basically wants each combat encounter to be a puzzle, but expects you to conserve inventory between combat encounters like it's emergent combat. :/

esai

speaking of gamefly, i have a $5 dollar coupon that expires on the 31st but it has to be used on something priced $29.99 or over =/. So if anyone wants to use it PM.

Grief.exe

Well, I submitted a refund request with Steam for Baldur's Gate. First time I've ever done that in over six years and 500~ games.

If the product doesn't work, you have the right to a refund.

I sure as hell would have gotten one if I had bought.
War Z
SimCity
Diablo III

Wok

A lot of that stuff you can sell right now.

Anything Vintage, Strange, Genuine, or Crates can go up on the market.

Your Genuine stuff actually isn't worth that much which surprised me. That Aperture Labs Hard Hat sells for a lot though.

What really is worth a lot is that Treasure Hat, I guarantee you that was what that one guy was after. Hold onto that and keep it tight.

I am holding tight on to my Brütal Legend item and taunt, but the price keeps decreasing. Believe, people, believe!

KarmaCow

Started playing Space Marine and damn they really try to make you feel bad ass all the time. Besides the general feel of running into a ton of enemies to restore your health, every NPC in the game - Ork or Human - is constantly amazed at seeing you, a Space Marine. I'm still early but I'm kinda surprised by how many cutscenes/slow walking bits there are breaking up the action. I was expecting something simpler, a nice almost mindless brawler to contrast against Etrian Odyssey 4.

Grief.exe

I am holding tight on my Brütal Legend item and taunt, but the price keeps decreasing.

I've been watching the market for a little while now.

The same few idiots constantly undercut each other until the overall price is in the dirt.

Eventually it seems to rise back up though.

Dr Dogg

OK, bought it along with 1000 Amps. More games I'll never play, yay!

Tell me about it. Just spent the last hour indecisively fluttering between game after game. Guess I'll just moan about 'em instead of playing 'em. That or put them all in a big hat and only deal with one at a time.

Onemic

That Kenshi game on Steam pre-access seems like it could be hella good and totally unique. Really hope people support it so it reaches 1.0 status.

Salsa

I have a copy of Don't Starve which I'd like to trade for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Anyone interested?

considering that Don't Starve gives you 2 copies for $12, each copy would be $6, Baldur's Gate is $10

unless you are speaking about the two copies of Don't Starve

OK, bought it along with 1000 Amps. More games I'll never play, yay!
1000 amps is pretty neat for 5 minutes, I played it once.

I have a copy of Don't Starve which I'd like to trade for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Anyone interested?

Umm that's kind of a steep trade there bro, but I do want a copy if your willing to change your price, need to get it for a friend. You can get two copies of DS for only $11.99 and Baldur's gate is $9.99. Unless it's on sale somewhere I'm not aware of, in that case, sorry.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed that my copies of Bit.Trip Core and Void came with the sountrack in .mp3 format, which is totally weird as I bought the regular, non-soundtrack editions of both. Someone else had the same happen to them?

Neither Beat nor Runner came with the soundtrack, though they were redeemed from keys that came from Humble Bundles (the former) and Humble Store (the latter), while I purchased Core and Void directly from the Steam store.

1000 amps is pretty neat for 5 minutes, I played it once.
That's 300 seconds more than what I plan to ever play :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom