• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any here able to help an Aussie out with Bioshock? I normally use Wilflare but he's off line I can paypal PM me details would be greatly appreciated

Salsa can get you the game for $45. Cheaper still is GMG UK's deal (XCOM now included), which you can try to take advantage of using a VPN -- some GAFers have reported success with this in the past, but in my experience attempting to purchase something from GMG when using a VPN causes the payment processing page to eventually time out/break. Still, if you're interested in trying for yourself, just download and install TunnelBear.

SparkTR

I was kicking myself for buying so much games these past few months on Steam and GMG, thinking I won't be able to eat for a week for something, then I added up the total money I spent and it ended up less than what I would have spent on a single AAA game had I never got into this ecosystem. Feels pretty good.

Salsa

Razer should really change the website's font

OB4f4Hj.png

Also, note that it doesn't change the colour of the skin, just the highlight bar when you select games/friends. So maybe it is working, just that you are expecting the whole skin colour to change :p
Ah, well that explains it. It probably worked and I just overestimated what it did.

I like it better than the default skin, though I was hoping to come across something a little more colourful.

What are the gaffers opinion on Total War Shogun 2?

It's awesome. I've seen others say it's the best (currently) in the series, personally I've never won a single player campaign but I fell in love with the online multiplayer battles. It's a complete head game designing your army then working out good formations and how you're going to maximise the potential of each unit type.

Just hope you don't run into an all archer cavalry army or something silly like that. I chased and I chased and he shot and shot... it was so demoralising.

It's a bummer that Don't Starve isn't supported on Mac yet, it'd make the perfect gift for a friend. I guess I'm holding onto my second copy until it's SteamPlay.

Deques

Wtf?! Looks like FTL is now removed from my library... Last time when a game was removed I got a message that the game was removed. Now I didn't get anything.
I wonder how many games are removed from my library if they don't send a notice each time a game is removed.

I am sad anyway :( no more FTL for me

didamangi

Wtf?! Looks like FTL is now removed from my library... Last time when a game was removed I got a message that the game was removed. Now I didn't get anything.
I wonder how many games are removed from my library if they don't send a notice each time a game is removed.

How did you get the game? Bought it yourself, trade for it, got it as a gift?

Salsa

you sure you dont have anything written in the search bar

also "last time when a game was removed", wtf? is this a common ocurrence to you? are you buying games from crack dealers

TheD

The Detective

Uhh, why would a game be removed????

Deques

How did you get the game? Bought it yourself, trade for it, got it as a gift?

I traded for it. Got a steam key

you sure you dont have anything written in the search bar

also "last time when a game was removed", wtf? is this a common ocurrence to you? are you buying games from crack dealers

Being scammed is apparently very risky business when trading. Lots of scammers. I traded a few games some months ago, but quit trading.

Last time was when Borderlands 2 was removed. I wrote about it in previous steam thread. It took more than a month to resolve the scam with the steam support, and I didn't get everything back

Uhh, why would a game be removed????

The trading partner probably bought with stolen credit card. The owner did chargeback

FloatOn

I haven't been following this Warframe game at all other than a couple gameplay videos. I guess the game is hitting steam today so I looked at this recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A4dTnnqlao

it goes over the latest update which apparently changed the game in a huge way.

sounds awesome! card game + 3rd person shooter = win

So, I'm looking at the Steam top-sellers list (1-20) and I notice that there aren't many of the featured indie games listed here. However, the current weekend and daily deals are right near the top.

Is this a sign that the height of indie-game mania is subsiding? Are the sales figures for the various humble and other bundles also declining?

Don't get me wrong, indie-games are here to stay, but I do think there was a period of heightened popularity where the concept was relatively new to many players that may be on the decline.

uh-oh I was trying to download Condemned and Just caust 2 at the same time and it seems the Condemned download is corrupt!! It won't let me delete or pause or anything!! halp plz~

nm fixed it

water1111

Banned
So, I'm looking at the Steam top-sellers list (1-20) and I notice that there aren't many of the featured indie games listed here. However, the current weekend and daily deals are right near the top.

Is this a sign that the height of indie-game mania is subsiding? Are the sales figures for the various humble and other bundles also declining?

Don't get me wrong, indie-games are here to stay, but I do think there was a period of heightened popularity where the concept was relatively new to many players that may be on the decline.

Not all indie games are million sellers, you will get lucky with games like Minecraft but I guess indie games do okay sales wise.

EDIT no longer a junior, oh yeah.

1-D_FTW

Apparently there was an update for 1.02 that allows Steam Friends!

Isn't it just more that it allows you to register you Steam ID to UPlay so that you can then see who on your Steam list owns it and what their UPlay ID is (with uPlay invite options for said IDs)?

I mean, it's better than the alternative. But it's also far from ideal. At this point, I wouldn't even care if they kept their damn uplay but just also used Steamworks. Not a big fan of dual DRMs, but it'd be preferable for these types of games (since uplay isn't going anywhere soon).

Relax.MX

Too many release this days(BioBoom everywhere, or even indie games), too many preorder, and to many indie games

But yeah the saturation of bundles low the value of low profile indie games(more of one friend told me on this sale after a recommendation, "I wait for Hotline Miami and FTL in a indie cheap bundle")

Too many release this days(BioBoom everywhere, or even indie games), too many preorder, and to many indie games

But yeah the saturation of bundles low the value of low profile indie games(more of one friend told me on this sale after a recommendation, "I wait for Hotline Miami and FTL in a indie cheap bundle")

It seems to me that Steam has been trying to raise the sale prices on these types of games over time so that you are paying more for them, even on sale. I remember that in the past when indie games would go on sale it would be for $1-$2. Now the rule is $3-$5 or more. Surely this has had a chilling effect on sales for lesser-known games.

Second, thanks to the Greenlight program, Steam is being flooded with indie games which means that each one is "less special" and needs some serious promotion or word of mouth to stand out from the pack. This is one of the factors that led to everyone forgetting about the indie releases on the Xbox. At first it was cool, but then releases started coming several a day and quality was all over the place so people just gave up on it entirely.

Grief.exe

Hmm its an interesting point.

I hope sales of indie games aren't falling off.

It could be the shear amount of bundles we have now. There are about 10 fairly prominent ones that could be cannibalizing sales.

I thinking its because in March we have been destroyed with AAA game releases. Tomb Raider, End Game (BF3 Expansion), Heart of the Swarm, RE6, BioShock.
Not only that, but BioShock, Tomb Raider, and RE6 came with at least one free game.

The Indie Sale isn't well advertised or promoted.
There is no achievement hunt, prizes, or badge associated with the sale.
Just a picture at the top of the store.

ArjanN

Nah, it's that there's just been a bunch of big releases, and also the top sellers list is revenue based. So a game that's 5$ needs to sell 10 times as much copies to beat a game that's 50$ on the list.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm more fatigued of the genres that most indie games are in than indie games themselves.

allansm

Hmm its an interesting point.

I hope sales of indie games aren't falling off.

It could be the shear amount of bundles we have now. There are about 10 fairly prominent ones that could be cannibalizing sales.

I thinking its because in March we have been destroyed with AAA game releases. Tomb Raider, End Game (BF3 Expansion), Heart of the Swarm, RE6, BioShock.
Not only that, but BioShock, Tomb Raider, and RE6 came with at least one free game.

The Indie Sale isn't well advertised or promoted.
There is no achievement hunt, prizes, or badge associated with the sale.
Just a picture at the top of the store.

I think it's a case of sales of AAA games growing more than sales of indie games. Also, the indie sale lasts longer than the daily and weekend deals, so the sales spread across a longer period of time and, as the charts only cover a 24 hours period, it's expected that indie games will be in lower positions compared to the daily and weekend deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom