• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
So, I'm looking at the Steam top-sellers list (1-20) and I notice that there aren't many of the featured indie games listed here. However, the current weekend and daily deals are right near the top.

Is this a sign that the height of indie-game mania is subsiding? Are the sales figures for the various humble and other bundles also declining?

Christ I hope so. The fans of many of those games have become unbearable over the last couple of years.

The only "indie" games that matter coming up are the kickstarter CRPGs.

Oh those indie fans.

And to put in my two cents on the lack of presence on the top sellers list, I would say it's because of the way they structured their sale this time around. No dailies, just a rotating featured with everything being the same price from the first day. It's more spread, over both many different games, and more days, so the chances of one game getting on the top sellers across all of that is really slim, especially when it's by revenue and it's only a couple bucks.

Tomodachi

I'm not the greatest fan of indie games but I don't see the point of complaining about the "movement" as a whole and wanting it gone. It's true nowadays lots of crappy indie games get the spotlight because they're hip and all that and not because they're really original and creative anymore, but the indie scene continues to deliver titles that big developments studios don't seem to be interested in, so... it's all good.

Maybe you could just stop buying indie bundles full of turd just because they're cheap?

Comcast just sent me an email saying they doubled my upload and download rates! Checked speedtest and it's true, O Happy Day! Getting 85Mbs (11 megabytes per second steam downloads here I come baby!) down and 12Mbs up more or less sustained.

Pressure from google fiber? Maybe, I have been a customer for soo long now it's about damn time.

Grief.exe

Comcast just sent me an email saying they doubled my upload and download rates! Checked speedtest and it's true, O Happy Day! Getting 85Mbs (11 megabytes per second steam downloads here I come baby!) down and 12Mbs up more or less sustained.

Pressure from google fiber? Maybe, I have been a customer for soo long now it's about damn time.

Exactly. All of a sudden we have competition and these large corporations have to...compete.

1-D_FTW

Damnit, is Dirt Showdown ever going to go on a decent sale? Game is ancient now, Codemasters. Get to it.

You missed The Great Giveaway of Regret, huh?

Most of us in this thread got it for free. Most of us also regret entering the code and hitting submit. We will forever be marked with this shame.

Exactly. All of a sudden we have competition and these large corporations have to...compete.

Totally, it's actually pretty ridiculous how slow they have been keeping everyone's connections.

Just think what will happen if these smaller isp's and google fiber etc actually gain more than 0.00005% ground in more than 3 cities, can't happen soon enough.

nexen

You missed The Great Giveaway of Regret, huh?

Most of us in this thread got it for free. Most of us also regret entering the code and hitting submit. We will forever be marked with this shame.

I opted out on moral grounds. Also laziness.

Not sure I made the right choice anymore because I've gone too long without playing a new Dirt entry.

Don't forget platformers. Seeing how many of them are poorly executed and souless makes me sad as a platformer fan.

Honestly there are so many good indie platformers that one has to be executed almost as well as Rayman Origins for me to take notice anymore. Look at Fly'N for an example. So good.

Salsa

pretty sure these indies arent selling as well because people already have them, there's barely anything new.

also wow at some of the responses. Chill people I expect this from Derrick but not anyone else

I really dont get the "EVERYTHING IS TOWER DEFENSE/iOS!" speech. Where the fuck are you looking? there's a ton of stuff out there, and out of those things there's probably 3 times more genre diversity than in the big triple A market

zkylon

zkylewd
And to put in my two cents on the lack of presence on the top sellers list, I would say it's because of the way they structured their sale this time around. No dailies, just a rotating featured with everything being the same price from the first day. It's more spread, over both many different games, and more days, so the chances of one game getting on the top sellers across all of that is really slim, especially when it's by revenue and it's only a couple bucks.
yeah I think it's been pretty lazily put up.

steam is such a shitty site to look games up. 6 featured games and no division by genre or whatever. something like puzzler, platformer, puzzle-platformer, non-game, bad rats and we'd be set for genres.

it's my one wish for steam they'd update their site, I'm guessing it's a pretty tough thing to do what with them billion users, but still, it's slow, clunky, dated, all kinds of terrible

also all my friends have been buying indie games so clearly the people that matter still got their shit together

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I wish indie gaming would just die already
And what do you want it replaced with?

Don't forget platformers. Seeing how many of them are poorly executed and souless makes me sad as a platformer fan.
There are several which I really enjoyed (haven't finished all of them): Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Braid, Thomas Was Alone, They Bleed Pixels, Bit.Trip Runner 1 & 2, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams and I'm probably forgetting a few.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly there are so many good indie platformers that one has to be executed almost as well as Rayman Origins for me to take notice anymore. Look at Fly'N for an example. So good.
Oh yes, I loved the demo, so much that I instantly bought the full game after finishing it...

...on the current Steam indie sale, at 66% (or so) off. The way it's meant to be bought. Haven't played it yet, but if it's as good as the demo, I'll definitely love it.

Im gonna guess he was kidding
Hey, games are serious business!

I wanna guess he was kidding

Hm...

Wonder if it is. I would also criticize the indie-Games market. I would not say, there are too many TD-Games or such, but too many Puzzle-Plattformers. Whenever I buy an indie-bundle, there are at least 2-3 of those and if I play them, they are often not that good or just play like "Braid" in a way.

I wish more Indie-developers would have something like an "own idea" and base the game around it, but to me it seems that they just try to imitate another popular indie-Game. Too bad, since I really would like more Games like Skullgirls, Fez, Dungeon Defenders, where you can kinda "feel" that the developers thought of what they did instead of things like Closure, Snapshot or Party of Sin.

Salsa

Hm...

Wonder if it is. I would also criticize the indie-Games market. I would not say, there are too many TD-Games or such, but too many Puzzle-Plattformers. Whenever I buy an indie-bundle, there are at least 2-3 of those and if I play them, they are often not that good or just play like "Braid" in a way.

I wish more Indie-developers would have something like an "own idea" and base the game around it, but to me it seems that they just try to imitate another popular indie-Game. Too bad, since I really would like more Games like Skullgirls, Fez, Dungeon Defenders, where you can kinda "feel" that the developers thought of what they did instead of things like Closure, Snapshot or Party of Sin.

again, not looking at the right places. The reason 2D-retro looking platformers are so popular is the same reason why all AAA shooters are more populars than other genres: it's what most people want/demand/buy. Doesnt mean that every indie game is like that.

look outside of steam, check Toma's monthly threads. There's a TON of stuff getting released constantly.

Then again, even on Steam alone ive been playing Antichamber, Don't Starve, and FEZ and Monaco coming up. I would argue you'd never see something like that if the indie "scene" lets call it, didnt exist.

I really dont get the hate.

Derrick bitching about handholding and same ol same ol in AAA games but then also complaining about the indie scene "because of the fans" has to be pretty much the prime example for people to quote when saying he talks like a bitter old man. I mean NOTHING is good at this point.

I like you derrick but c'mon son

Derrick01

Banned
I've done my fair share of criticizing actual indie games in the past. I only now talked about how annoying the fans are. It always struck me as odd that people are holding up really shallow games that focus more on 20 year old arcade mechanics or gimmicky ideas as the "only way to experience creativity and deep games again". It's pretty much the opposite of what I would call deep.

Now if they want to refocus on 10-15 year old crpgs or the FPS/RPG hybrids like Deus Ex and SS2, then indie games will finally have my interest.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Derrick bitching about handholding and same ol same ol in AAA games but then also complaining about the indie scene "because of the fans" has to be pretty much the prime example for people to quote when saying he talks like a bitter old man. I mean NOTHING is good at this point.

I like you derrick but c'mon son

That's the kind of thing people mention when they're pointing out why you should never, ever take anything he says seriously. I don't think of an grumpy old man, I think of an angsty teenager. At least a grumpy old man's perspective might have some value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom