• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember really enjoying the original, it came along just as I was getting into PC gaming, so was pretty much one of the first purchases I had made for my own PC. Remember having fun throwing crates around once you get the super strength.

Not sure I'd want to play it again.

zkylon

zkylewd
2012: Frog fractions, Resonance, Slender, Retro city rampage, FTL hotline miami, super hexagon, mark of the ninja, torchlight 2, journey, the unfinished swan.

I don't like Indie games, I like some games made by indie developers.
gotta get on the frog fractions bandwagon. it's my elementary school's fault for not having mario teaches typing T_T

that might be pushing it
yeah it's hard to say, half life had been released two years before, deus ex looked and played clunky for its time already, but level and game design if well done can be timeless.

kinda like doom really.

Relax.MX

My Oblivion save(5 hrs.) get a bug, i guess is Realistic leveling mod because the game crush when I level up(yes after 5 hr I'm still level 1) if I disable the mod just don't level up and the bar keep in 100%..

I love RPGs I even replay some of them(3 times The Witcher for example) but I don't want to replay this 5 hrs. , the game have good moments and I have fun sometimes but are big gaps of boring moments.

I feel like obligate to finish it.. I just can't get into the character feel like a doll in a big world

Any advice for the bug? (already google)
Continue?
The game get better?

Is my first Elder Scroll... I start with Obscure Oblivion Overhaul, unofficial patch, realistic leveling and visual mods

nexen

yeah it's hard to say, half life had been released two years before, deus ex looked and played clunky for its time already, but level and game design if well done can be timeless.

kinda like doom really.
I liked Half-Life better than Deus Ex.
I really liked what Deus Ex was trying to do, but it felt clunky and was ugly even at the time. Also I thought that the upgrades strained my immersion. Some of them came off as super goofy.
The black sunglasses, trenchcoats, and monotone delivery didn't help either.

All in all I liked Deus Ex, but do not get why it is so beloved. I honestly enjoyed Deus Ex 3 much more than Deus Ex 1.

I liked System Shock 2 better than Deus Ex as well.

c'mon son.

I'm in Switzerland, I know where Austria and Australia are. Thanks for killing my joke.

Okay_guy.jpg

Sorry

Caerith

I wish the "indie" label would die. Whether they're kickstarted or fully marketed by Activision, games are games. I understand why people hate the indie scene, just as I understand why people hate kickstarter, and it comes down to this:

You get a handful of games like Braid or Bastion that were made without a publisher's backing and they're received as creative or brilliant or whatever. Then you get a handful of games that "would never get published under a traditional model" and they get crazy successful kickstarters. So, two points of data right here showing that, somehow, "publishers are bad and they stifle creativity."

But then the indie scene is chock full of puzzle platformers and tower defense, and kickstarter is full of remakes of homages to games from the 90s. Which, you know, whatever, but then you have the indie fans acting like hipsters and, seriously, get off my lawn.

All of this ignores the independent game developers who have been developing since before the indie "genre" existed, like Wadjet Eye and stuff.

btw papers please is pretty good, right?

I have it sitting on my desktop waiting to be played.

and speaking of which I have these indie games in my desktop and I'm feeling like going through them, I'll take suggestions:
mainichi
don't get raped
insert title here
mad father
katawa shoujo
barkley
depression quest
papers please
umineko
So... hold on. Umineko, as in Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, or "When the Seagulls Cry"? As in, the visual novel from the people who made Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni ("When the Cicadas Cry")? That was pretty popular in Japan and had its own anime series and stuff?

How is this indie?

zkylon

zkylewd
I wish the "indie" label would die. Whether they're kickstarted or fully marketed by Activision, games are games. I understand why people hate the indie scene, just as I understand why people hate kickstarter, and it comes down to this:

You get a handful of games like Braid or Bastion that were made without a publisher's backing and they're received as creative or brilliant or whatever. Then you get a handful of games that "would never get published under a traditional model" and they get crazy successful kickstarters. So, two points of data right here showing that, somehow, "publishers are bad and they stifle creativity."

But then the indie scene is chock full of puzzle platformers and tower defense, and kickstarter is full of remakes of homages to games from the 90s. Which, you know, whatever, but then you have the indie fans acting like hipsters and, seriously, get off my lawn.

All of this ignores the independent game developers who have been developing since before the indie "genre" existed, like Wadjet Eye and stuff.
don't hate the genre because of hipsters. what difference does it make in your life that some dumbass dude with a bad haircut and thick glasses thinks he's better than you because he likes puzzle platformers?

just play games because they're good games, indie or mainstream, new or old, and live easy.

I mean at least I get it when derrick's mad about dishonored because it's a lost opportunity.

So... hold on. Umineko, as in Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, or "When the Seagulls Cry"? As in, the visual novel from the people who made Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni ("When the Cicadas Cry")? That was pretty popular in Japan and had its own anime series and stuff?

How is this indie?
I dunno, it was bundled up with my indie games. it isn't?

don't hate the genre because of hipsters.

Indeed. I've said negative things about mechanics in games like Hotline Miami and you would think I've had a go at somebodies mum. It doesn't really worry me at all.

I'd rather people be over positive about games they love than constantly negative about games they hate (but still buy anyway making the complaining completely pointless).

How much experience do people have with steam detecting your video drivers?

Generally pretty good for AMD.

zkylon

zkylewd
Indeed. I've said negative things about mechanics in games like Hotline Miami and you would think I've had a go at somebodies mum. It doesn't really worry me at all.

I'd rather people be over positive about games they love than constantly negative about games they hate (but still buy anyway making the complaining completely pointless)./QUOTE]
it's not even the game, it's the people that like the game.

it's like dude, why do you even care?

Caerith

edit: are people actually acting like hipsters about indie games? I haven't seen this yet.
You might have missed it, then, but there was a lot of attitude at least when Braid came out

don't hate the genre because of hipsters. what difference does it make in your life that some dumbass dude with a bad haircut and thick glasses thinks he's better than you because he likes puzzle platformers?

just play games because they're good games, indie or mainstream, new or old, and live easy.
I don't hate it, it's not even a genre, just a meaningless label.

I dunno, it was bundled up with my indie games. it isn't?
Is it about some guy named Battler having a battle of wits with a witch named Beatrice?

Rapstah

My GOD is XCOM buggy. It starts off fine but as you research more tech and unlock deeper mechanics stuff goes to shit and suddenly enemy turns are happening in the middle of your turns and the game pulls down all your satellites and pretends like you just reached the satellite limit. Sometimes it just crashes to desktop too but that's not nearly as confusing.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

How is this indie?

Those were made by a bunch of guys in their spare time and self-published on PC. Ended up being popular and gotten other companies to port and publish for them on other platforms, but it's not like those publishers tell them what games to make. And they license out their stuff for merchandise, manga, anime, etc. They're still their own boss, rather than someone else telling them what to do. Independent developers can strike it rich, and still be independent - see Mojang/Minecraft.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
My GOD is XCOM buggy. It starts off fine but as you research more tech and unlock deeper mechanics stuff goes to shit and suddenly enemy turns are happening in the middle of your turns and the game pulls down all your satellites and pretends like you just reached the satellite limit. Sometimes it just crashes to desktop too but that's not nearly as confusing.

I feel blessed not to have encountered a single issue in the 9 hours I pumped into it between yesterday and today.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
We talking about the early 2000s version or the latest Deus Ex? As the latest one was pretty horrible.
The first one, which came out on 2001.

that might be pushing it
Nah, I'm dead serious. With the exception of graphics, it doesn't play worse than many modern games. It may not have great shooting mechanics, but it really doesn't need to. I enjoyed it more than any other game I played lately, except Arkham Asylum maybe (please don't make me choose one). It'd totally be my GOTY had it been released this year.

Rapstah

I feel blessed not to have encountered a single issue in the 9 hours I pumped into it between yesterday and today.

I'm at 14 between yesterday and today, of which maybe two hours were bug-filled pain hours, so it's probably possible to not have encountered anything in nine, sure.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

kinda like doom really.
See? Half-Life I played for the first time 3 years ago (I had played some of Blue Shift before, but pretty much hated it), and didn't like it. It's not a bad game, but it felt extremely old and clunky, totally not fun to play.

Deus Ex blew my mind from the very beginning. It's something I felt invested in, I wanted to know what would happen next, and had a fucking great time with it. So yeah, I believe it's timeless indeed.

Caerith

Those were made by a bunch of guys in their spare time and self-published on PC. Ended up being popular and gotten other companies to port and publish for them on other platforms, but it's not like those publishers tell them what games to make. And they license out their stuff for merchandise, manga, anime, etc. They're still their own boss, rather than someone else telling them what to do. Independent developers can strike it rich, and still be independent - see Mojang/Minecraft.
I suppose that technically makes it "indie." I suppose it technically also makes Valve indie.

ShaneB

I'm at 14 between yesterday and today, of which maybe two hours were bug-filled pain hours, so it's probably possible to not have encountered anything in nine, sure.

I played for 50+ hours and never encountered some of the bugs I hear about. *shrug*

FloatOn

If you guys are interested in playing Warframe a couple things. First, turn off bloom as it nearly burned out my retinas.

Second, you have to forward ports 3960 and 3962 to:

will post impressions of the game itself probably tomorrow afternoon.

DTKT

If you guys are interested in playing Warframe a couple things. First, turn off bloom as it nearly burned out my retinas.

Second, you have to forward ports 3960 and 3962 to:

will post impressions of the game itself probably tomorrow afternoon.

what

that's a private address and is specific to an internal network. We each have a different private address. You would need to replace "192.168.2.5" by whatever your private address is.

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick,

Be prepared to be disappointed by Bioshock Infinite. I know I am :(

Disappointed is a word I would use for my reaction to Bioshock 1...if I was writing the clean version without expletives. I have 0 expectations for Infinite and the people who have written their post-game impressions have helped me stay that way.

96/100, 130 press goty awards incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom