• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Idk, headshots stayed pretty relevant for me on hard.
I sorta wished I played with combat text on, because there were a few moments where something felt bullet-spongy but then because of recoil or something I was melting fools (or armour falling off). Wish I had it on so I knew how to tackle 1999 mode properly.

By hard is by no means hard and I usually play all my shooters on normal, other than a few frustrating boss fights or handyman encounters.

Grief.exe

I sorta wished I played with combat text on, because there were a few moments where something felt bullet-spongy but then because of recoil or something I was melting fools (or armour falling off). Wish I had it on so I knew how to tackle 1999 mode properly.

By hard is by no means hard and I usually play all my shooters on normal, other than a few frustrating boss fights or handyman encounters.

Handymen are designed with skill in mind though.

Heart shots do more damage, there is no need to cheese those encounters.

Just aim for the heart, dodge his attacks, and use the occasional stun for the assist.

Salsa

meh turning TressFX off makes the whole thing run smooth, even in-game cutscenes

it's kinda gimmicky anyway, cool for a couple minutes but then it might as well not be there

my guess is that it's not as optimized for Nvidia cards

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm digging Terraria but, my god, this "invalid housing" bullshit is infuriating.I have a three room house so far, with all three rooms containing the exact same shit and built the same way. The only difference is the actual shapes of the rooms.

Room one is perfectly viable and has a guide living in it. Room two is perfectly viable and is vacant. Room three is, for some inexplicable fucking reason beyond rhyme and reason, not a viable house.

I haven't been this frustrated at a game in a long-ass time. I had to ask my kids to leave the room before I just let loose on an epic stream of profanity I haven't let loose on a game since I was like 12.

I've learned a lot of things this last year, chief most of which is that this game can be a real fucker.

Salsa

I like Tomb Raider, at least so far

really didnt think I would. It's kinda dumb but fun, and it's a fantastic PC port. It looks really really nice.

that said: my god, the start of the game was one of the worst things ive ever played. I cant believe they showed that off to the press as a game reveal. It was dreadful

maybe it's because im not used to that QTE craze that tends to go on mostly in console games lately, but I cant believe anyone actually enjoys that.

LT RT LT RT LT RT LT RT

"a rock!"

PRESS LEFT

LT RT LT RT LT RT LT RT

"rock in the other direction!"

PRESS RIGHT

I mean god damn

Salsa

Dungeon Hearts looks really cool

not sure if I should grab it tho since I actually might be getting an ipad next month and it seems like it'd play better there

these things should really be cross-buy. I own a ton of iOS ports on Steam and I really dont care about buying them again. Developers could really just give you a code for both.

really didnt think I would. It's kinda dumb but fun, and it's a fantastic PC port. It looks really really nice.

that said: my god, the start of the game was one of the worst things ive ever played. I cant believe they showed that off to the press as a game reveal. It was dreadful

maybe it's because im not used to that QTE craze that tends to go on mostly in console games lately, but I cant believe anyone actually enjoys that.

Salsa coming in via that long ass satellite delay.

Such inconsistent speeds from Steam...

zBav4yZ.png

The other day it was downloading at 8MB/s. The one thing Steam can take from Origin is that their CDN is second to none; everytime I download from EA servers I get ~12MB/s (probably due to lower demand :p).

Hardly worth complaining over 25 minutes, but when game installs start reaching 40GB+ I'm gonna hope Steam steps up.

Acorn

meh turning TressFX off makes the whole thing run smooth, even in-game cutscenes

it's kinda gimmicky anyway, cool for a couple minutes but then it might as well not be there

my guess is that it's not as optimized for Nvidia cards

TressFX is unoptimised for everyone, I'm on AMD. Run smooth as butter until I turn that piece of shit on then boom I'm dropping frames everywhere.

Such inconsistent speeds from Steam...

zBav4yZ.png

The other day it was downloading at 8MB/s. The one thing Steam can take from Origin is that their CDN is second to none; everytime I download from EA servers I get ~12MB/s (probably due to lower demand :p).

Hardly worth complaining over 25 minutes, but when game installs start reaching 40GB+ I'm gonna hope Steam steps up.

Check your download region. The client changed mine to Amsterdam for some reason. (I'm in Scotland)

TressFX is unoptimised for everyone, I'm on AMD. Run smooth as butter until I turn that piece of shit on then boom I'm dropping frames everywhere.

Check your download region. The client changed mine to Amsterdam for some reason. (I'm in Scotland)

Region was correctly set to London, but my connection speed was set to 2mbps. Didn't think that putting it up would make a difference, and it didn't. Odd, especially since mornings should be the low demand period, but no biggie I guess.

Grief.exe

Stallion better stay the hell away from Age of Empires II

You have fought in one thousand battles! Even Alexander the Great did not have your strength of will.

c2c972904aca47886a14772c7a18590096f9698c.jpg

It gets even more ridiculous, they have 1000 victories for each individual faction.

One thousand victories commanding the Persians! You have mastered every strategy and tactic employed by the Persians and created several that will be named after you in the future. You are forever a legend.

b770215ba55114539c9bd29f569fa59f95d68457.jpg

Or 50,000 Buildings destroyed

Sure, generals say that every unit lost is mourned and every building razed is avenged - but after fifty thousand even the most obsessive counter gives up. You have seen civilizatons rise and fall endlessly - it is time to stop counting the buildings. Congratulations that you persevere, mighty leader.

80912fe595fe198fbc6c9cbb23fc221ac7b78e4d.jpg

There is even a achivement for pre-order...I don't know how I feel about this

By preordering Age of Kings HD™ you have demonstrated your superior strategic planning and advance preparation –hallmark qualities of a great leader. Now that your reputation is secure, give swift word to friends and allies to come and join you in the fight!

fe9c662381294b4d128447fdade0af8e1caaa6d9.jpg

Jericho
or FUEL
or Dirt 2
or Grid
or Overlord
or Overlord 2?

Got a two quid coin in my pocket that I'm looking to spend. Which one do I get?

edit:

or A Valley Without Wind 1 and 2?

Salsa

c2c972904aca47886a14772c7a18590096f9698c.jpg

It gets even more ridiculous, they have 1000 victories for each individual faction.

b770215ba55114539c9bd29f569fa59f95d68457.jpg

Or 50,000 Buildings destroyed

80912fe595fe198fbc6c9cbb23fc221ac7b78e4d.jpg

this all sounds pretty easily achievable by the people who were fucking dying for this kind of thing to exist. They know what they're doing :p

still need to get it

Grief.exe

this all sounds pretty easily achievable by the people who were fucking dying for this kind of thing to exist. They know what they're doing :p

still need to get it

I guess you are right, they are expecting people to play for another 14 years or so.

I wouldn't call that easily though, there are about 10 factions. So that would require about 10000 games.

That alone is 5000 hours if each game takes 30 minutes.

How similar is the Steam version of Super Hexagon to the Android/iOS version? I've got the Android version and its ace. Does the keyboard make much of a difference? Might double dip.

Dirt, Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 have different focus in terms of tracks, cars, etc

Thanks. Will pick up Dirt 2 then as its been getting the most praise here.

Salsa

How similar is the Steam version of Super Hexagon to the Android/iOS version? I've got the Android version and its ace. Does the keyboard make much of a difference? Might double dip.

it's the same but it obviously benefits from having buttons

having both versions is kinda optimal, one for better control and one for portability. Wish the leaderboards connected some way.

Arthea

My steam never starts on first try (only offline mode). Somebody knows how to cure that?
It's kinda frustrating, takes from 5 to 15 minutes to start properly, retrying many times I mean.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
There is even a achivement for pre-order...I don't know how I feel about this
Wow. I kinda thought this might happen eventually but didn't really expect it with this game...

Someone page Fireblend and see if it's real, lol. I think when Wario got the Megaton Edition beta there were like 70 achievements listed but the full release only ended up with 12 or something?

Edit: yeah here we go, though the full situation was a little different than I remembered

catabarez

Wow. I kinda thought this might happen eventually but didn't really expect it with this game...

Someone page Fireblend and see if it's real, lol. I think when Wario got the Megaton Edition beta there were like 70 achievements listed but the full release only ended up with 12 or something?

Edit: yeah here we go.

What he saw was a counter for that specific achievement. Like say there is one to kill 70 pig guys with a shotgun and he got 10 at the time.

Nabs

He just got one of those achievements that keeps track of your progress. 1/70 secrets found or something like that.

Dr Dogg

you are the worst of the bunch cloving

the worst

:p

I mean even if there wasnt an option: don't fucking post it! dont mean to single you out for the sake of being evil but just as an example

I open up community today and right there and then there's a fucking screenshot of THE MOMENT SHOWING THE ENTIRE TWIST ENDING by "ClovingWestbrook(GAF)". I keep looking through them and there's screenshots of every single reveal during the last minutes of the game, the exact moments.

I would have murdered you, cold blood.

Hahaha SalsaShanked.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
What he saw was a counter for that specific achievement. Like say there is one to kill 70 pig guys with a shotgun and he got 10 at the time.

He just got one of those achievements that keeps track of your progress. 1/70 secrets found or something like that.
wow wario isn't very good at steam is he :p

That clears that up, thanks.

Dr Dogg

Well after finishing BS:I I'm in 2 minds to either continue with my second playthrough or fire up Singularity (maybe even try and finish BioShock 2). Singularity still has that awful fixed fov though doesn't it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Haha, I am usually pretty good at gauging how doable a list is for me. There is no way in hell I am going to bother with those and I'm okay with that. I'm deep into my first run of XCOM and there is no way in hell I am going to go for all those achievements as well.

really didnt think I would.

Why would you buy it if you didn't think you would like it?

FloatOn

Played the first hour of bioshock infinite last night. Simply the most captivating game environment I've ever played.

But... can someone tell me why there are regenerating shields in this game???

Bioshock has always given context as to why you have what you have, perhaps it was because I was tired but it was just like "btw have an overshield".

also, I'm not really sure about this respawn mechanic. I think vita chambers made more sense. Does this get explained more later?

obviously, spoiler tag this if you want to help me out here.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Played the first hour of bioshock infinite last night. Simply the most captivating game environment I've ever played.

But... can someone tell me why there are regenerating shields in this game???

Bioshock has always given context as to why you have what you have, perhaps it was because I was tired but it was just like "btw have an overshield".

also, I'm not really sure about this respawn mechanic. I think vita chambers made more sense. Does this get explained more later?

obviously, spoiler tag this if you want to help me out here.

Because modern games. They give some context for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom