• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
also, I'm not really sure about this respawn mechanic. I think vita chambers made more sense. Does this get explained more later?

Once you get liz, there's an animation of her dragging you back to the checkpoint and reviving you, but yeah the whole dream sequence thing is a little 4th wall breaking when she isn't around, but I guess its better than just simply respawning.

Derrick01

Banned
Is crashing every once in a while common in Bioshock Infinite or is it just me?

These damn checkpoints.

No but the stuttering is getting worse the further I get into the game. I didn't even realize there was a stuttering problem for the first few hours outside of loading new areas, but now it happens every 10-20 seconds.

Disappointing. Iron sights make sense in this game considering how open it is. The other things.... not so much.
My apologies, because i haven't been following this discussion due to spoiler fears, so this may be out of context but...

I support the opinion Iron Sights make sense in most FPS, save for the old school (what to call them?) arcade type ones I.E. a PainKiller or Serius Sam. Also in a shooters where the player uses the enviroment for shelter, a cover system should be implemented or at least have the option to lean. By now this type of details should be customary in most of them.

The other big feature to me, in terms of inmersion for the FPS genre is full body awareness. A game like Half Life needs this, in 1 for example it could even aid the gameplay a bit, to better stick landings when jumping.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No but the stuttering is getting worse the further I get into the game. I didn't even realize there was a stuttering problem for the first few hours outside of loading new areas, but now it happens every 10-20 seconds.

Weird, I only got stutter when it was pretty blatantly streaming in a new area. Otherwise it was like butter. I bumped up the pool size though.

Disappointing. Iron sights make sense in this game considering how open it is. The other things.... not so much.
Bioshock had iron sights too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Played the first hour of bioshock infinite last night. Simply the most captivating game environment I've ever played.

Bioshock has always given context as to why you have what you have, perhaps it was because I was tired but it was just like "btw have an overshield".

You're not told about that in specific, but if you paid close attention to that particular scene, you would have recognized something about the people in the bar where you got it and that ends up being significant going forward.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How is the community for Ticket To Ride on Steam? Are there enough people playing it to make it worthwhile?

Well, it's not in the Top 100, which at present means there are less than 797 people playing it. I'm sure somebody who's actually familiar with the game can give you a more informed answer, though. ;)

Joe Molotov

Well, it's not in the Top 100, which at present means there are less than 797 people playing it. I'm sure somebody who's actually familiar with the game can give you a more informed answer, though. ;)

And if no one is familiar enough with the game to answer, well, that's kind of an answer too.

Ledsen

Is FUEL still worth buying? It's $3.39 for a Steam key on GMG right now.

This thread makes it look pretty fun, especially to get a group of people together and just free-roam:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395102

Some pics from the thread:

Fuel2.jpg

image.php

fuel2010-07-0318-24-10vg3u.jpg

fuel_flatssunsetoetd.png

fuel_2010_07_09_23_59_9j3u.jpg

How is the community for Ticket To Ride on Steam? Are there enough people playing it to make it worthwhile?

The game is cross-platform. You can play against people with the IOS or browser version. The community is still really active and the game is amazing (as much as the boardgame).

It should also be noted that when you launch it for the first time, it will ask you to create an online account that will allow you to play the browser version (very convenient when you don't have access to Steam, at work for example).

The only difference between the Steam and the browser version is the presence of an AI and the graphics.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I will take anyone's Gog-redeemable key for Waking Mars, by the way. I already have it on Steam and will seriously never, ever touch it on Gog. But I kind of want it on the virtual shelf, for some reason.

Askani

The game is cross-platform. You can play against people with the IOS or browser version. The community is still really active and the game is amazing (as much as the boardgame).

It should also be noted that when you launch it for the first time, it will ask you to create an online account that will allow you to play the browser version (very convenient when you don't have access to Steam, at work for example).

That's super nice! Would have probably helped if I read all the description. :p

Thanks for the info.

DRZ

But why should I buy it on steam if I can play it online in the browser for free? (It is for free isn't it?)

MNC

What annoys me a bit is that opening ('combat spoilers', kind of? It was in all the trailers...)
a tear doesn't seem to have any kind of impact on Elizabeth, during combat. So I can just open a tear, then open the other.
I remember the E3 2011 video where there was some kind of meter for it and I think it would've made combat alot more strategic.

zychi

Banned
whats the easiest way to play the gta games on steam with a controller? motion joy?

I have an adapter that would let me use a ps2/gamecube or i can use ps3/360 if need be.

KB/M controls suck for VC and SA

Lingitiz

What annoys me a bit is that opening ('combat spoilers', kind of? It was in all the trailers...)
a tear doesn't seem to have any kind of impact on Elizabeth, during combat. So I can just open a tear, then open the other.
I remember the E3 2011 video where there was some kind of meter for it and I think it would've made combat alot more strategic.
You can only have one open at a time, which can suck when you have a piece of cover or a turret up.

Crap, less than 30 minutes left for the indie sale and I haven't picked up anything. Any top recommendations?

Miasmata. Beat it last night, had a good time.
30 Second Hero or whatever it's called.
FTL
Antichamber was a lot of fun and kinda took over my game playing for the couple days I was playing it until I hit the end. Don't know if I'll go back and 100% it.

dejan

I know, it's pretty niche, but is anybody here playing Blood Bowl or is interested in a private Blood Bowl GAF league? Bought the game about 2 weeks ago as a daily deal (damn you TotalBiscuit and your TGS Blood Bowl League videos) and I've dumped about 30h into the singleplayer campaign and I think I'm ready now to get my ass kicked in multiplayer.

As far as I know custom multiplayer leagues are similar to tournaments in the campaign i.e. build your team from scratch, individual players can learn new skills by earning star player points or get injured or in the worst case even die during the course of the league. League matches are usually on a weekly basis. So if we could get a group of at least 4 players together, I'd set up a private league for us.

FloatOn

I just purchased Zeno Clash, Strangers Wrath HD and Hydrophobia Prophecy with minutes to spare on this sale. They all look interesting. But gaf, are they good?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up buying Magical Drop V, Antichamber, Thomas Was Alone, Retro City Rampage, and Stealth Bastard Deluxe for myself, MDV & To the Moon for my partner, and Half Minute Hero & They Bleed Pixels for a friend.

Curse you Endless Space sale, I should've held off when it was 50% off a week ago or whatever.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
I just purchased Zeno Clash, Strangers Wrath HD and Hydrophobia Prophecy with minutes to spare on this sale. They all look interesting. But gaf, are they good?

I've only played Zeno Clash and its good. Good melee combat mechanics and one of the weirdest fucking game worlds you'll ever see (and I mean that in a good way). Very unique and unlike anything else I've ever played.

I really liked Zeno Clash. The world is really strange, and makes the game feel very unique.

Hydrophobia was an horrible experience for me :(

I ended up buying Magical Drop V, Antichamber, Thomas Was Alone, Retro City Rampage, and Stealth Bastard Deluxe for myself, MDV & To the Moon for my partner, and Half Minute Hero & They Bleed Pixels for a friend.

Curse you Endless Space sale, I should've held off when it was 50% off a week ago or whatever.

To the Moon should not only be for your partner. It's an amazing experience, everybody should play it!

Nillansan

I finished Zeno Clash in one sitting last week. I had a great time, there is nothing quite like it. I am really looking forward to the open-world sequel.

Wow, Hitman Absolution is the natural and sensible evolution of the genre and a breath of fresh air in a series stifled by confusing objectives and clunky controls. A brilliant, diverse experience, with character and panache in every element of its multi-layered gameplay. Highly recommended.

*Sits back in chair, raises glass, nods with a knowing smile, and waits*

whats the easiest way to play the gta games on steam with a controller? motion joy?

I have an adapter that would let me use a ps2/gamecube or i can use ps3/360 if need be.

KB/M controls suck for VC and SA

I'm assuming the game doesn't have native gamepad support as I haven't looked into it but I'm sure you wouldn't be asking if it was that easy. That said a wired Xbox 360 controller is the best investment I've made given the ease of use and number of games that convert no questions asked.

For the few cases where games haven't support the 360 controller by default I've had really good success using "Xpadder". Super cheap piece of software that has a reasonably straight forward interface and doesn't cause the driver issues something like motionjoy seems to run into. Download xpadder and a matching overlay for the game you wanna play and go to town.

Cheddahz

Banned
Wow, Hitman Absolution is the natural and sensible evolution of the genre and a breath of fresh air in a series stifled by confusing objectives and clunky controls. A brilliant, diverse experience, with character and panache in every element of its multi-layered gameplay. Highly recommended.

So it's worth the ten bucks?

Kabouter

How linear is it? Also, what was confusing about the objectives in previous Hitman games? Especially Blood Money I felt was crystal clear about the objectives.

So it's worth the ten bucks?

In my opinion, very much yes. A lot of others will disagree and their opinions are also very valid. It's very simplified/dumbed down from Blood Money but for me that's a positive. It's gorgeous and a lot of fun, I'm finding.

How linear is it? Also, what was confusing about the objectives in previous Hitman games? Especially Blood Money I felt was crystal clear about the objectives.

Linear compared with its predecessor, and a lot easier what with the magical Detective Mode thing 47 has. But that's OK for me because I'm thick as pigshit when it comes to this genre. It's like Baby's First Stealth Game and since I'm terrible at them, it's absolutely my level.

index.php

I actually enjoyed it. No one else here did

Kabouter

Linear compared with its predecessor, and a lot easier what with the magical Detective Mode thing 47 has. But that's OK for me because I'm thick as pigshit when it comes to this genre. It's like Baby's First Stealth Game and since I'm terrible at them, it's absolutely my level.

Oh, that sounds really bad. If a game is just essentially going to tell me what I have to do, I don't really see the point in playing unless it offers something else that's really compelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom