• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, that sounds really bad. If a game is just essentially going to tell me what I have to do, I don't really see the point in playing unless it offers something else that's really compelling.

It's good for me because I'm crap at Hitman games. It's pleasing me with how organically I am able to put my solutions into effect. There are multiple ways to take out each target, but it seems like there's always one "main" way.

Derrick etc are not wrong when they say it's dumbed down, but for me it's pretty much perfect.

The first time I've ever seen this happen.

Not one of my friends has played Damnation. Not one of my friends owns Damnation. Not one of my friends has Damnation on their wishlist.

I am the only one to own it.

I feel so special.

HoosTrax

The first time I've ever seen this happen.

Not one of my friends has played Damnation. Not one of my friends owns Damnation. Not one of my friends has Damnation on their wishlist.

I am the only one to own it.

I feel so special.
It's easy to tell that you don't have Jase or Xelios on your friendlist.

Just saw the Tomb Raider TF2 items are now sell-able. Is it better to market them now, or wait a little bit?

Doesn't look like they are going for much now.

Oh, that sounds really bad. If a game is just essentially going to tell me what I have to do, I don't really see the point in playing unless it offers something else that's really compelling.

There are multiple difficulty levels that strip away elements of the "easy mode" stuff. From what I've played the Psychic Detective mode is mostly useful for identifying objects in the environment that aren't background noise, which is pretty useful when the environments are heavily detailed. For example, the first open mission gives you about 5-6 ways to perform the hit without being seen using specific things within the level, and you get hints through the challenge menu what those ways are (via jokey names and vague images, like "watch your step" with a stencil image of someone falling into a sewer opening). One of the methods is through poison (and there are multiple challenges involving this method), but I had mostly cleared all the other methods before that one because I couldn't figure out where the poison was. I assumed it was in another area but Detective mode didn't turn anything up, so walking around while scanning eventually revealed where it was (it was poison fugu fish from a street vendor).

Once I saw the option it became a lot more obvious, but there's a huge amount of visual and audio noise in the level which can make seeing stuff like that really hard even if you know what to look for, and the Detective mode (which on hard drains rapidly and only regenerates when you accomplish things) gets around that problem. I'm not really sure how any developer can solve the "highlight object" without either a ferocious amount of resources (and possibly crippling a PC) put into the making everything interactive or downgrading the visuals to the point where the game would receive backlash.

CVgXV7k.png

It says it's 99% done and it won't do anything. WHY U DO THIS

Long shot: Does anyone happen to have an extra Warband from the last deal? A friend missed it and there's a bunch of us playing it :(. He can trade some games or paypal/ whatever.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
whats the easiest way to play the gta games on steam with a controller? motion joy?

I have an adapter that would let me use a ps2/gamecube or i can use ps3/360 if need be.

KB/M controls suck for VC and SA

Pretty sure that the games have native gamepad support (in the Windows versions, not sure about Mac). You can set the buttons in-game. Use whatever gamepad you are comfortable with.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow, Hitman Absolution is the natural and sensible evolution of the genre and a breath of fresh air in a series stifled by confusing objectives and clunky controls. A brilliant, diverse experience, with character and panache in every element of its multi-layered gameplay. Highly recommended.

*Sits back in chair, raises glass, nods with a knowing smile, and waits*

I want to cry.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I would not put money down on that at Vegas if I were you.

But you put your money down on a monthly basis for games that you absolutely know you will find disappointing. Isn't that like going all in on a shitty hand every time? Why would we take gambling advice from you after seeing your gambling habits?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Resident Evil 6
PC version worth it?

Resident Evil 6 is super divisive, and I'm on the positive end of the spectrum, but with that in mind I'd say hell yes.

It's a big, bloated mess, but gotdamn it's a lot of fun. Capcom should have released a single Mercenaries level as a demo just to show people how good the combat can be, especially when there aren't any crappy set piece moments or sloppily designed encounters to detract from it. And between the four campaigns and all the extra modes, there's a lot of bang for your buck.

The PC version is solid. No performance issues for me (GTX460), uses Steamworks, a decent selection of graphics options, the only major complaint is the fact that it only features FXAA. I haven't tried forcing proper AA yet.

I preordered AoE2 a month ago, and I just realized less than 2 weeks to release. Argh I can't wait. I reinstalled the original to relive it and now I want it bad for the steam works features. Time to uninstall again and wait patiently.

Twinduct

Resident Evil 6 is super divisive, and I'm on the positive end of the spectrum, but with that in mind I'd say hell yes.

It's a big, bloated mess, but gotdamn it's a lot of fun. Capcom should have released a single Mercenaries level as a demo just to show people how good the combat can be, especially when there aren't any crappy set piece moments or sloppily designed encounters to detract from it. And between the four campaigns and all the extra modes, there's a lot of bang for your buck.

Hmm so tempted. Think I'm gonna wait for a sale though. Won't be able to play until like next month anyway. But on my want list now! Thanks!

Nabs

I preordered AoE2 a month ago, and I just realized less than 2 weeks to release. Argh I can't wait. I reinstalled the original to relive it and now I want it bad for the steam works features. Time to uninstall again and wait patiently.

1 week to go

Sort of hoping for a good deal on a Resident Evil Bundle during a Steam Sale, which includes Resident Evil 1-2. Were the others ever released on PC?

Bumhead

Banned

I agree with this, I think.

Along with the Mercenaries map idea, a proper tutorial would have gone a long way. I would have enjoyed much more of Resident Evil 6 if I knew about sliding into cover and quick shot + melee earlier in the game.

If you end up enjoying the game though there is a ton of content available. A good 30+ hours if you see all the campaigns through and play some Mercenaries.

Isaccard

But you put your money down on a monthly basis for games that you absolutely know you will find disappointing. Isn't that like going all in on a shitty hand every time? Why would we take gambling advice from you after seeing your gambling habits?

He's an addict. He can't help himself.

I just realized that Don't Starve is made by the same dev as Mark of the Ninja, no wonder I like it.

Hoostrax: Yea I think that is why I never even tried to make the connection, the art style is soo... different.

HoosTrax

I just realized that Don't Starve is made by the same dev as Mark of the Ninja, no wonder I like it.
This is the first game I can recall where they didn't use their signature art style. The art style used in Shank 1/2, Mark of the Ninja, and Torchlight II is super distinctive, and totally different from Don't Starve. Not sure if it's a different artist, or the same artist branching out.

Grief.exe

This is the first game I can recall where they didn't use their signature art style. The art style used in Shank 1/2, Mark of the Ninja, and Torchlight II is super distinctive, and totally different from Don't Starve. Not sure if it's a different artist, or the same artist branching out.

That one is Runic

Dr Dogg

Trying to sustain my BioShock fix so attempting to play 2 but after Infinite it feels like a fan game or a mod for the original. Is the story worth persevering with or should I just move on to pastures new?

Relax.MX

Trying to sustain my BioShock fix so attempting to play 2 but after Infinite it feels like a fan game or a mod for the original. Is the story worth persevering with or should I just move on to pastures new?

Bio 2 lost the impact of the first one but is stll a very good game with very good mechanics, I just don't understand the "I played this new stuff and then I played a old game and is crap I just can't play this shit"..fuckin capitalism

The game is playable, is very good, with problems I know, don't have the graphics or polish than Infinite but is a good game, and objectively don't feel archaic, is just a different game and is not a 2013 game

The story sucks but it's mechanically a better game than the original. Lots of people swear by the Minerva's Den DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom