• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How's the first Bioshock? I'm thinking about buying it.

I'm enjoying it so far, never played it before. The atmosphere is amazing, and personally I think the graphics hold up well. It's a bit shooty, but I guess that is unavoidable (from Evilores thread title it sounds like infinite will be similar)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got finished building a new system.

What was the recommended program for moving steam files?

Just move your steamapps folder to whatever drive you want on the new computer, and then in steam set that up as an install folder. It should automatically pick most games up - if there are a few that don't you may need to move the to the same place they used to be installed. Eg I moved all of mine to my new computer's D: drive, but company of heroes didn't work because it needed to be on C: I just moved that folder and it was fine.

Some games will need to recheck the installation but it was surprisingly painless when did it. No steam mover, no backup/restore needed.

Xanathus

Holy shit. I must congratulate that lurker for pulling that off despite him being a piece of shit.

Can someone explain what just happened? It's not obvious from the posts.

edit: oh Refreshment.01 was just joking that someone pretended to be him on Steam to get Bioshock from Glass Rebel. Because Steam IDs and GAF names aren't 1:1. I need sleep.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hitman: Blood Money was only 7 years ago. That shouldn't make anyone feel old.

FYC

Banned
Complete and utter crap.

Play vindictus, it has a similar concept but actually has good gameplay.
It also has an excellent f2p system (cosmetics, one time 10 euros for a HUGE amount of extra bag space)

Alright, I'd also been meaning to try that. I've heard a lot of good things about it so that's probably a safer bet. Looks fun.

DarkFlow

Banned
So if anyone is thinking of picking up GTA4 complete since it's on sale for $7.49, well it seems Steam has ran out of keys for it. I really wish they would say that before I buy the damn thing.

I have $10 sitting in my Steam account. So which game should I purchase?

Batman: Arkham City GOTY Edition or Hitman: Absolution?
The 2 Batmans and The Bioshocks some of the greatest games this closing generation and the best games in the unreal engine. Epic should thank the heavens this master pieces run in their tech. Or at least give Irrational and Rocksteady the licensing money back.

Dr Dogg

I have $10 sitting in my Steam account. So which game should I purchase?

Batman: Arkham City GOTY Edition or Hitman: Absolution?

Well seeing as Arkham City has had moist of its issues fixed (Poor dx11 support, crippling Physx implementation, GFWL save issues) apart from some horrendous DRM decisions it's worth the price of admission. Still prefer Asylum though.

Hitman on the other hand as I'm sure Derrick will tell you "You can't patch bad game design" or something along those lines. It's not a bad game (not good either, average) but it's a truly awful Hitman game. All the levels are claustrophobic and the two big open areas you get to see you do nothing but escape and sneak in.

If I really own GTA4 and Episodes from Liberty City, and want to buy the complete edition, it will show as a separete entry in my library?

I don't think you'll be allowed to, since the Steam Complete Edition is just separate GTA 4 and Episodes entries, unless there's something I missed.

I don't think you'll find anyone that would recommend Hitman before Batman.

I'll recommend Hitman before Batman. Sure Hitman has its problems, but not being dead boring from start to finish puts it above Arkham City.

It just has the same faults as other modern games like Deus Ex HR or Tomb Raider. But you can still have some fun with it.

KingKong

I'll recommend Hitman before Batman. Sure Hitman has its problems, but not being dead boring from start to finish puts it above Batman.

It just has the same faults as other modern games like Deus Ex HR or Tomb Raider. But you can still have some fun with it.

true, and Hitman at least has some style to it and a fun campy story compared to whatever the story in the Batman game was

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone explain what just happened? It's not obvious from the posts.

edit: oh Refreshment.01 was just joking that someone pretended to be him on Steam to get Bioshock from Glass Rebel. Because Steam IDs and GAF names aren't 1:1. I need sleep.
Don't give the lurkers any ideas!

Grief.exe

I just started up XCOM and its great so far.

5 hours went by before I could even blink.

I'm planning on starting a Two in April thread tomorrow and I will already be on my way there.

75% through Mark of the Ninja, 25% through XCOM, and 50% through Mario & Luigi: SS. I am planning on doing another play through of Bioshock Infinite, so it will help to have a massive head start on my backlog.

Is it normal for Steam support to take several days responding to a ticket?

Sadly, the whole "only show favourites" or collapsing categories is a really crappy and unsatisfactory way to get games you don't like out of your library. So my only real option is to go the extreme route and contact support to unsubscribe from the game.

Again, I wouldn't necessarily take such extreme measures. But again, the collapsing category, only show installed, and only show favourite options is sub-par and not satisfactory for me at all. In fact I'm surprised some people think it should be considered satisfactory, because it isn't even a mile within satisfactory.

Anyway, they give you set categories for questions. What I want to do isn't on the list. So I just went with "Purchases and Payments > Purchase Failures".

But it has been around 3 days and I haven't gotten a response. Is this normal? How long should I expect to wait to get a response?

Santiako

Is it normal for Steam support to take several days responding to a ticket?

Sadly, the whole "only show favourites" or collapsing categories is a really crappy and unsatisfactory way to get games you don't like out of your library. So my only real option is to go the extreme route and contact support to unsubscribe from the game.

Again, I wouldn't necessarily take such extreme measures. But again, the collapsing category, only show installed, and only show favourite options is sub-par and not satisfactory for me at all. In fact I'm surprised some people think it should be considered satisfactory, because it isn't even a mile within satisfactory.

Anyway, they give you set categories for questions. What I want to do isn't on the list. So I just went with "Purchases and Payments > Purchase Failures".

But it has been around 3 days and I haven't gotten a response. Is this normal? How long should I expect to wait to get a response?

What games do you want to remove from your account?

That is my own business. I don't want other people judging my taste in video games. I just want it gone, that is all that matters.

I have several games that I'd honestly rather have gone. But there's one in particular I feel that makes my library a more sordid place.

I do not want it in a collapsed category of shame. I do not want to only show installed games. I do not want to only show favourites. I do not want it so much as possible to see under "all games". I do not want to remember it exists.

ArjanN

Not too unusual. Even serious and real support requests tend to take quite a while.

This.

But really though, that scores about an 11 on the OCD-red-flag-o-meter.

Probably best to take a step back, realize no one cares what games are on your steam list, and relax.

Bored as hell with Bioshock Infinite I started playing Omerta City of Gangsters. And color me surprised. It's actually pretty good. It's a bit rough around the edges, but as a casual take on simulation and turn based combat it does the job fairly well. Although there's no tactical element to the combat it's still enjoyable to rob banks and take over businesses.

I guess sometimes it just feels good to win. When I think about it, the game doesn't really let you lose.

Hmm, so on second thoughts, maybe I'm inclined to hate it...

Grief.exe

Is there precedence for this? Have any other titles had the GFWL requirement removed in the past?

Toy Soldiers, Fallout 3, and Gotham City Imposters all removed GFWL.

Toy Soldiers was published by Microsoft and was the first sign of the unofficial death of GFWL.

Gotham City was published by Warner so we could see Arkham Asylum and City patched as well.

Probably best to take a step back, realize no one cares what games are on your steam list, and relax.
Not just other people. I don't like knowing it is there myself.

It is true, I have OCD. I don't normally admit to this on the internet though since mental disorders like OCD and Autism and so forth are highly stigmatized and embarrassing.

Moreover some things are just gross to own, though. This one I want removed isn't so much because it is a bad game, but because it really morally irks me. Though my reasons don't matter, really.

Whether I see it as illogical or not, the desire to see it gone isn't going to go away. So I do want and need it gone.

Sounds like they take a while. I'll just have to wait.

Toy Soldiers, Fallout 3, and Gotham City Imposters all removed GFWL.

Toy Soldiers was published by Microsoft and was the first sign of the unofficial death of GFWL.

Gotham City was published by Warner so we could see Arkham Asylum and City patched as well.

But if they get patched, Securom will be present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom