• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

1fnyCkd.png

:lol

Okay, went for Dirt 2 and Grid in the end! Also bought Arkham City since I never played it before. And well, maybe I should finish Arkham Asylum first.

You can change it from All Games to Installed, which will, indeed, hide categories that don't have any games installed in them.
Yeah, but I don't want to do that.

Also, being someone who owns more than 5 gaming desktops and around 8 computers with Steam on them, only showing installed games will never be that helpful because I'll always be having to go back to 'all games' to find games to install.

I don't want it there haunting me to begin with.
I couldn't imagine there would be a game on Steam
People have different values and opinions of what they find embarrassing or what makes them cringe.

The Steam library is no better to me than any gaming library in existence.

I think there is far too much respect for the Steam curation process. I can see this from how people reject a lot of games on Steam Greenlight that people say are "not worthy of Steam". Which implies that Steam already has high standards and only or mostly good games already.

To many PC fans who are partial to Valve, Steam is this great haven of "only the good stuff". To me, Steam doesn't really have any better a ratio of good to bad things, than, say, Google Play, iTunes, PlayStation Network, and so forth.

There's nothing on Steam worth being that upset about. I have Duke Nukem Forever on Steam because after all this time I wanted to see what it was like even if it was bad, and it was just a very dated, mediocre FPS.
Different strokes.

If I had the poor sense to buy Duke Nukem Forever, you can absolutely bet I would be dying to get it off of my library and feel that it taints in my library. Fortunetly I would never make that mistake because I already know what Duke Nukem is and know I hate the franchise.

I cannot stand franchises like Duke Nukem and do not want them anywhere near my library. In fact, I would pay to have them away from my library instead of on it. It is worth money to keep crap like Duke Nukem out of my sight and out of my mind. Staying away from things like Duke Nukem has monetary value.

1-D_FTW

At the risk of sounding like the douche I am, can't you just create a category titled: "Cheaper than a Psychologist curing my OCD" and have it buried out of sight in that category?

gdt

Hmm...looking at the GTA Complete pack. Does SA have controller support and does it still play ok on modern machines?

Well, having slept on it again.

I finally came to a decision of what to do. It was planned to be my first post after waking up, but I got caught up in responding to other people's posts.

It's an extreme measure, but I've decided upon starting up a new account. With all these bad games, in particular this really bad one, it isn't worth going forward with my current account. I'm sure Steam likes this, since because they don't want to make it easy for me to get rid of bad games it makes me money for them. But I digress.

I don't want to use this method. I have over 300 games on my current account, which is probably over $2,000 worth. But it really sounds like the best bet is to start over, cut my losses, and learn a lesson.

Since my tag says "Japanese Culture Expert" for some god damned reason, I'll put it into appropriate terms. My new Steam will be more like a Bonsai plant. Carefully groomed. And the smaller the better. Quality over quantity. And I will ignore all games except the ones I absolutely must have. And only buy the games I would want to "double dip" and support twice, anyway.

This gives me the advantage of having a library of games I actually enjoy and is true to myself and my own tastes. Not beholden to sales or "trying new things" and "expanding my horizons". Just a library that is worth being my library and a second home. It also should allow me to vote on Steam Greenlight games more than once without looking too suspicious because I'll have games on my account and I won't look like I'm cheating and are the same person voting multiple times with dupe accounts.

This should give my PC gaming life a much needed baptism. Because as it stood my Steam was covered in worthless filth.

The old library isn't going anywhere. It isn't going to be deleted, I'm just going to hopefully abandon it and not return. Especially if I cannot remove the games I dislike. I'm still going to try to remove that game. But at least with this it won't bother me as much that it is there.

I will be able to return to my old Steam account anytime. All I will have to do is log back in. I am not planning to, though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is it worth it for someone that currently doesn't have a controller and doesn't really follow F1 that much, but likes to play the occasional racing game?

Absolutely no. I like the occassional racing game like Dirt, but as someone who doesn't follow F1 at all, it was a rude awakening. Doing 10+ laps on a track is boring as fuck. I told myself I would never play a racing game with that kind of grind ever again after Forza 2.

With all these bad games, in particular this really bad one, it isn't worth going forward with my current account.

Uh, why do you refuse to name the game?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

I finally came to a decision of what to do. It was planned to be my first post after waking up, but I got caught up in responding to other people's posts.

It's an extreme measure, but I've decided upon starting up a new account. With all these bad games, in particular this really bad one, it isn't worth going forward with my current account. I'm sure Steam likes this, since because they don't want to make it easy for me to get rid of bad games it makes me money for them. But I digress.

I don't want to use this method. I have over 300 games on my current account, which is probably over $2,000 worth. But it really sounds like the best bet is to start over, cut my losses, and learn a lesson.

Since my tag says "Japanese Culture Expert" for some god damned reason, I'll put it into appropriate terms. My new Steam will be more like a Bonsai plant. Carefully groomed. And the smaller the better. Quality over quantity. And I will ignore all games except the ones I absolutely must have. And only buy the games I would want to "double dip" and support twice, anyway.

This gives me the advantage of having a library of games I actually enjoy and is true to myself and my own tastes. Not beholden to sales or "trying new things" and "expanding my horizons". Just a library that is worth being my library and a second home. It also should allow me to vote on Steam Greenlight games more than once without looking too suspicious because I'll have games on my account and I won't look like I'm cheating and are the same person voting multiple times with dupe accounts.

This should give my PC gaming life a much needed baptism. Because as it stood my Steam was covered in worthless filth.

The old library isn't going anywhere. It isn't going to be deleted, I'm just going to hopefully abandon it and not return. Especially if I cannot remove the games I dislike. I'm still going to try to remove that game. But at least with this it won't bother me as much that it is there.

I will be able to return to my old Steam account anytime. All I will have to do is log back in. I am not planning to, though.

Lol, wow.

Uh, why do you refuse to name the game?
Because I'm getting mocked enough for the admitting that having some games on my library bothers me.

I understand what my game is, and many people love it. So I don't think that I would earn any respect by telling people what game it is I want removed.

Spring is the only seasonal sale we've never had.
Well, we DID have a sale: the spring Indie Sale last week.

Would've been better to have an Easter-themed sale and something that could engage users, even if it's a silly achievement hunt without the carbon. Just something to make the whole thing more enjoyable, get people to install games (and play them!), etc.

I felt recent sales have been so damn stale with the whole "look, offers, browse them" and not much else going on...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

So what happens when you buy a crappy game on your new account?

Don't like the color of the walls in a room in your house?

Buy a new house.
More like my walls smell of feces but the codes for where I live dictate I am not allow to remove the smell of feces from my walls.

So I would rather move to a new house than put up with the smell of feces.
At the risk of sounding like the douche I am, can't you just create a category titled: "Cheaper than a Psychologist curing my OCD" and have it buried out of sight in that category?
Not going to happen. Not good enough.

Collapsed categories are as an obnoxious eyesore as bad games.

1-D_FTW

Because I'm getting mocked enough for the admitting that having some games on my library bothers me.

I understand what my game is, and many people love it. So I don't think that I would earn any respect by telling people what game it is I want removed.

You never know. You might just earn Derrick's eternal admiration.

I think people are generally more confused about the extreme measures you're taking towards what seems to be a very 'who really cares' situation. Obviously, you care, but I mean, it seems very extreme. I'm sure most people have a 'bad' game on their steam library, yet I've never seen anyone care or get ripped because of that.

So what happens when you buy a crappy game on your new account?
Not going to happen. I am going to spent my time thinking about whether I really want to buy a game now. Instead of spending time regretting it after having bought it.

I only came into this problem because I made the mistake of blind purchasing and becoming addicted to the idea of having a big library.

I no longer want a large library with lots of games. And I'm going to be a lot more "prudish" so to speak, with the games that I actually purchase.

Derrick01

Banned
Buying games is serious business apparently.

If I got that disgusted over every bad game on my Steam list I wouldn't have the energy to be disgusted at anything anymore. I just move it down to a trade in category I made where it becomes invisible to me.

Change the 'all games' selection on the library to 'installed' so it only shows installed games. Sorted.
Also not good enough. I have Steam installed on several PCs. Several of them are laptops.

To do that means I would have to constantly go back to "all games" just to add more games to my installed games section all of the time. Installing and uninstalling games because I don't have room for all the games I want.

Favourites would be better than putting up with the "installed games" mess. But even that isn't really good enough. Because there's a lot of games that I don't like enough to put in my favourites, but would want to play again. I don't want to have to sift through all games just to play that one game that wasn't good enough for my favourites again.

Also not good enough. I have Steam installed on several PCs. Several of them are laptops.

To do that means I would have to constantly go back to "all games" just to add more games to my installed games section all of the time. Installing and uninstalling games because I don't have room for all the games I want.

Favourites would be better than putting up with the "installed games" mess. But even that isn't really good enough. Because there's a lot of games that I don't like enough to put in my favourites, but would want to play again. I don't want to have to sift through all games just to play that one game that wasn't good enough for my favourites again.

Even on this new account, you'll still know that you bought that game, so I don't see the difference. We also still know, however no one would have paid any attention to it until these last few posts. Nobody asks to see your Steam account when you apply for Universities, or when you buy your first home, it's really not that important.

True. Which is why I'm still attempting to have the game removed. Also because I really don't want to abandon my current account.

But at least this way it will be out of sight and out of mind and I will have the sensation of a fresh start and a blank slate.

Also, it isn't like I am requesting the account deleted. I can always log back in any time I want to.

I would keep the "tainted" account to dump games your are doubtful about in there just in case. I'll admit I did some mistakes by padding my account with stuff I know I'll never play. I created a category called "Doubt I'll ever play" where I dump such stuff, heh.

Since your tagline says Japanese Culture Expert I guess you are going to want to crawl and put together an account that has japanese games mostly, right?

I was counting how many japanese (both indie and commercial) are floating around. I know more of the indie side though (where there are sadly not too many) but there seems to be quite a bunch on the commercial side.

Did we ever have a list like that?

uQntwD4.png

The things you're describing as burdensome will take less time on the whole, far less time, than rebuilding a library with a new account. I say this as someone with over 500 games on steam, all categorized by genre or status.

I'd also seriously suggest some self-reflection on why this is the only acceptable option because unless the game is "Rapin' and Lynchin': the KKK Experience" I can't imagine any game so awful that the reminder of it is so traumatizing that it can't even be used as an occasional reminder to not blind buy. Rejection of something at this scale seems like something that would be a common and damaging issue for other things as well.

To all the folks whi joke about collectors like Chase, xelios, Salsa, Joe Molotov, myself, etc., we got nothing on this person's crazy. My goodness HolyB, STAHP!!!

Hey guys, his arbitrary list of digital games contains a real stinker! Even though none of us noticed it was on there, or would even care if we did, its presence has brought great shame on him, his family, and Steam in general.

What OTHER options are there other than packing up shop and starting over? We're only talking some $2,000 worth of games here. It's not like he can enjoy all the other games with all of us judging him on here and his family shunning him.

Do what must be done to restore your status as a Steam connoisseur.

ArjanN

No offense but it seems to me a much better lesson to learn would be is to realize that you're just getting hung up on an odd OCD quirk about something that is completely trivial, because clearly just uninstalling the games you don't want to see or throw them in a different group is a vastly better solution than creating a new account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom