• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since your tagline says Japanese Culture Expert I guess you are going to want to crawl and put together an account that has japanese games mostly, right?
A lot of them, probably. Though I'm more biased towards cute, girly, non-violent materials than Japanese materials in all honesty. My tag isn't all that meaningful as easily my favourite part of Japanese culture is the cute adoration and maybe the androgynous aesthetics in pop culture. Which is probably a fairly unimportant part of Japanese culture as it is just pop culture and not core culture.

Again, my tag is pretty silly and doesn't say all that much about me. I don't really consider myself knowledgeable about Japanese culture. Nor a particular fan of it. I just happen to enjoy consuming cute media. It just so happens that Japan puts out a lot of that for me to consume.

Some of the first games I am likely to re-buy will be stuff like They Bleed Pixels and Offspring Fling which are both Western games. And I may never bother with re-buying the likes of Ninja Blade.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's obviously against the Eula to see your account but if you somehow do it, I would keep mum about it.

It seems that most people would cherish their account. I would think an email change would be in order but other than that I don't see how you couldn't quietly do it.

I would worry about credit card info though. Not sure if a new buyer on an account can use your past account info to look into that.

That alone should be enough to scare anyone from even thinking about it.

I don't think the specific game is actually the problem. HolyBaikal is straight up mentally ill.
Some of it is my OCD.

Some of it is I'm sure me just being different and having different interests, concerns, and priorities than a lot of other people.

For many people, having less games on Steam is worse than having bad games. And having bad games is an extremely trivial matters, while abandoning or not having many games is a non-trivial matter.

To me, quality over quantity is important and I made the mistake of going for quantity.

Chronoja

Is it a generational thing? That people nowadays can no longer live with the consequences of their own actions and have to do all they can to purge it so they no longer have to look at the reminder... the reminder that one day....in the distant past...I bought a game I didn't like....oh the humanity.

Bumhead

Banned
Well, having slept on it again.

I finally came to a decision of what to do. It was planned to be my first post after waking up, but I got caught up in responding to other people's posts.

It's an extreme measure, but I've decided upon starting up a new account. With all these bad games, in particular this really bad one, it isn't worth going forward with my current account. I'm sure Steam likes this, since because they don't want to make it easy for me to get rid of bad games it makes me money for them. But I digress.

I don't want to use this method. I have over 300 games on my current account, which is probably over $2,000 worth. But it really sounds like the best bet is to start over, cut my losses, and learn a lesson.

Since my tag says "Japanese Culture Expert" for some god damned reason, I'll put it into appropriate terms. My new Steam will be more like a Bonsai plant. Carefully groomed. And the smaller the better. Quality over quantity. And I will ignore all games except the ones I absolutely must have. And only buy the games I would want to "double dip" and support twice, anyway.

This gives me the advantage of having a library of games I actually enjoy and is true to myself and my own tastes. Not beholden to sales or "trying new things" and "expanding my horizons". Just a library that is worth being my library and a second home. It also should allow me to vote on Steam Greenlight games more than once without looking too suspicious because I'll have games on my account and I won't look like I'm cheating and are the same person voting multiple times with dupe accounts.

This should give my PC gaming life a much needed baptism. Because as it stood my Steam was covered in worthless filth.

The old library isn't going anywhere. It isn't going to be deleted, I'm just going to hopefully abandon it and not return. Especially if I cannot remove the games I dislike. I'm still going to try to remove that game. But at least with this it won't bother me as much that it is there.

I will be able to return to my old Steam account anytime. All I will have to do is log back in. I am not planning to, though.

1766760-gabe_newell_super.png

Do yourself a favour, make yourself a "Shit" category, set your bad games in there and then uninstall it all. Never have to see them ever again.

Do yourself a favour, make yourself a "Shit" category, set your bad games in there and then uninstall it all. Never have to see them ever again.
Already have one.

I don't really call having a category staring you in the face "ever see again."

Also, the category seems like it is always trying to un-collapse itself without my permission.

Bumhead

Banned
Already have one.

I don't really call having a category staring you in the face "ever see again."

Also, the category seems like it is always trying to un-collapse itself without my permission.

If you uninstall every game in there and set Steam to only ever view Installed games, you actually don't have to see it. Ever. At all.

I have 9 categories on Steam. I only ever see 8.

I can understand why not everyone might relate to me. I'm not feeling this way for other people's opinions, obviously. If my primary concern was what other people thought of me, people telling me that "nobody cares what's on your Steam library" would matter to me and that would be the end of things.

It isn't so much that it matters to other people, it matters to me.

One thing I am surprised isn't going with this however, is pretty much nobody else here seems to think that the feature of being able to remove a game from your Steam account would be a good one.

The Steam library function is by no means perfect.

I can understand why not everyone might relate to me. I'm not feeling this way for other people's opinions, obviously. If my primary concern was what other people thought of me, people telling me that "nobody cares what's on your Steam library" would matter to me and that would be the end of things.

One thing I am surprised isn't going with this however, is pretty much nobody else here seems to think that the feature of being able to remove a game from your Steam account would be a good one.

There are many reasons why Valve makes it so difficult to comply with a request to remove a game.

I know what you mean by remove, but there are several ways to 'remove' it from 'view', which have all be mentioned. End of the day, as also mentioned, it won't change the fact you've purchased a game you consider to be a total stinker.

Chronoja

It's not that other people don't identify with you, it's that you can't seem to identify with anyone else that's the thing. You are contemplating torpedoing an account with 300 games with what you estimate to be $2000 because of one or two perceived "bad" games. So many solutions exist but you feel content to nuke the population because 1 guy punched you in the face.

There are many reasons why Valve makes it so difficult to comply with a request to remove a game.
The problem is that having a game is essentially the same as having it on your library.

Your library is an entire tab. It isn't some database you can access on your profile to pull out things. I cannot go to my profile and select "licenses owned" and then hit a page where I cam move games to my library.

The library is an overly prominent middle-man between the store and every single thing you've ever bought. Having a license and having a game in your library shouldn't be the same thing.

Well, everyone has some bad purchases in their Steam library (oh, hi Borderlands 2), and if the bad purchases are in absolute majority in a library with 200+ games, I can understand the will to start over.

For me, the bad/uneccessary purchases are about 15 of 104, so I wont myself, even if I really want them removed. :)

Well, everyone has some bad purchases in their Steam library (oh, hi Borderlands 2), and if the bad purchases are in absolute majority in a library with 200+ games, I can understand the will to start over.

For me, the bad/uneccessary purchases are about 15 of 104, so I wont myself, even if I really want them removed. :)

There are no such thing as bad Steam purchases. They tell the world what a Steam rockstar you are.

'Oh snap! cloving's got Petz? Dude is hardcore! Lets not try to ruffle his digital feathers!'

Kingbrave

I just think that people are trying to get you to see how silly it is to be upset at a game so much that you want to start a new Steam account.

I really have OCD..I wear gloves all the time, won't step on cracks and have all my entertainment categorized. So I totally understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't start a new Steam account over it though.

HoosTrax

HolyBaikal - Maybe it's time to make good on your plans from the other thread, and just take a break from Steam for a while and take up handheld games. Maybe after a while, you'll be able to come back and look at this little episode with some fresh perspective.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Some of it is my OCD.

Some of it is I'm sure me just being different and having different interests, concerns, and priorities than a lot of other people.

For many people, having less games on Steam is worse than having bad games. And having bad games is an extremely trivial matters, while abandoning or not having many games is a non-trivial matter.

To me, quality over quantity is important and I made the mistake of going for quantity.

Let me tell you a secret: Most people don't care.

Most people don't care if they have 100, 200 or 548 Steam games. Most people just buy the games they want to try or want to play. And if they're shit, they're shit. And if they are both shit and CHEAP, who cares?

Only the collectors care about the quantity - and since they're collectors, they don't care about the quality. O have 591 entries on my Steam catalog. They're mostly Indie Games that I get from bundles (which I like the idea, so I support them), games I want to play or games I already played one way or another but decided I should give the creators some support.

What you're experiencing (and making a point of reporting to the Steam GAF thread as the first thing you do when you wake up the next day) is, I hope, otherwise you have bigger problems, just your OCD talking.

Which brings me to the second point I'm trying to make: Don't start a new account. That's just wasteful. There are much better things you could do with the money you're going to waste re-buying games. You could donate it to charity on the next Humble Bundle or you could buy ME some games. Have you tried contacting support? Explain that you have OCD and that you don't care about the money, you just want this one game off your account.

In conclusion, everybody in this thread is going to tell you that, while others will simply mock you because, let's face it, it really is a minimal issue being blown out of proportion.

IMO, unless you're either asking for help from the community to talk you out of it or fishing for a new tag, there's not much else that can be discussed on the subject. In the end, it's your account and your money, so you should be able to do whatever you want with them.

Dr Dogg

Hey man, gotta build up that library for the kids and grandkids.

Well after JaseC confirmed that strat guides and PC Gamer issues add to your game count I've been debating. So close to cracking the 1K club.

Don't know if this is an age thing but I have no idea what game anyone would consider so embracing or abhorrent that you'd want it removed from not just public view but your own. Don't know if it's because I'm in my 30's and couldn't give a toss what anyone thinks (to the extent of showing GAF some of the shit I buy with no remorse), much bigger stuff in the world to get pensive about. Still each to their own, who am I to judge.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Well, having slept on it again.

I finally came to a decision of what to do. It was planned to be my first post after waking up, but I got caught up in responding to other people's posts.

It's an extreme measure, but I've decided upon starting up a new account. With all these bad games, in particular this really bad one, it isn't worth going forward with my current account. I'm sure Steam likes this, since because they don't want to make it easy for me to get rid of bad games it makes me money for them. But I digress.

I don't want to use this method. I have over 300 games on my current account, which is probably over $2,000 worth. But it really sounds like the best bet is to start over, cut my losses, and learn a lesson.

Since my tag says "Japanese Culture Expert" for some god damned reason, I'll put it into appropriate terms. My new Steam will be more like a Bonsai plant. Carefully groomed. And the smaller the better. Quality over quantity. And I will ignore all games except the ones I absolutely must have. And only buy the games I would want to "double dip" and support twice, anyway.

This gives me the advantage of having a library of games I actually enjoy and is true to myself and my own tastes. Not beholden to sales or "trying new things" and "expanding my horizons". Just a library that is worth being my library and a second home. It also should allow me to vote on Steam Greenlight games more than once without looking too suspicious because I'll have games on my account and I won't look like I'm cheating and are the same person voting multiple times with dupe accounts.

This should give my PC gaming life a much needed baptism. Because as it stood my Steam was covered in worthless filth.

The old library isn't going anywhere. It isn't going to be deleted, I'm just going to hopefully abandon it and not return. Especially if I cannot remove the games I dislike. I'm still going to try to remove that game. But at least with this it won't bother me as much that it is there.

I will be able to return to my old Steam account anytime. All I will have to do is log back in. I am not planning to, though.
On second thought... I withdraw my reaction gif, which was... "ain't nobody got time for that." Because, apparently... somebody got time for that.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If I could, I'd get rid of a lot of games too. Ones from Humble indie bundles, Mods that register, MP portions for dead games, and shit I just don't care about. And I would want them removed from the games owned page, not just game library.

But I'd never considered making a new account for this.

Holybaikal I'm curious on these supposedly horrible 0/10 would not play again 'bad' games you have in your games list.

Because the only games in my library that I would consider horrible are the crappy indie games that I got from humble bundles that 99% of people don't care or know about. And my library is 349, so I just learn to take the bad with the good.

I don't regret my library one bit (Besides L.A. Noire and Dead Island; horrible ass games).

Chronoja

The problem is that having a game is essentially the same as having it on your library.

Your library is an entire tab. It isn't some database you can access on your profile to pull out things. I cannot go to my profile and select "licenses owned" and then hit a page where I cam move games to my library.

The library is an overly prominent middle-man between the store and every single thing you've ever bought. Having a license and having a game in your library shouldn't be the same thing.

I just had a moment of deep reflection on the topic and I want to say that I now support HolyBaikal's desire to rid himself of a few games from his library.

I was contemplating that I am on the complete opposite side of the spectrum wherein I have gone to various lengths to acquire games that no longer exist for purchase through the Steam store. Games like 007 legends or Legends of Pegasus, games so bad noone would even rightfully want to play them, but I, and some others have a desire to get as many games onto our Steam library as possible, so why can't it be true for the opposite.

That said I think the action of making a whole new account is overkill, but the desire to remove games from your library strikes me as a pretty odd exclusion from the various abilities we have on steam.

Last year I purchased Magic the Gathering 2012, bought the whole pack dlc and all without realizing that the deck unlock dlc completely negated the point of me playing the game. I asked steam to remove the dlc from my game, which they did for me but in a roundabout way, as in, they removed the game from my library and then refunded me the money so I could rebuy the game sans dlc. The situation is not all that dis-similar.

We should use this situation to maybe ask ourselves, what features should exist on steam that don't exist yet. The ability to remove a game, not even for money or disable a dlc package strike me as something that should have existed for a while now.

1-D_FTW

Let me tell you a secret: Most people don't care.

Most people don't care if they have 100, 200 or 548 Steam games. Most people just buy the games they want to try or want to play. And if they're shit, they're shit. And if they are both shit and CHEAP, who cares?

Only the collectors care about the quantity - and since they're collectors, they don't care about the quality. O have 591 entries on my Steam catalog. They're mostly Indie Games that I get from bundles (which I like the idea, so I support them), games I want to play or games I already played one way or another but decided I should give the creators some support.

What you're experiencing (and making a point of reporting to the Steam GAF thread as the first thing you do when you wake up the next day) is, I hope, otherwise you have bigger problems, just your OCD talking.

Which brings me to the second point I'm trying to make: Don't start a new account. That's just wasteful. There are much better things you could do with the money you're going to waste re-buying games. You could donate it to charity on the next Humble Bundle or you could buy ME some games. Have you tried contacting support? Explain that you have OCD and that you don't care about the money, you just want this one game off your account.

In conclusion, everybody in this thread is going to tell you that, while others will simply mock you because, let's face it, it really is a minimal issue being blown out of proportion.

IMO, unless you're either asking for help from the community to talk you out of it or fishing for a new tag, there's not much else that can be discussed on the subject. In the end, it's your account and your money, so you should be able to do whatever you want with them.

Which is the real shame of having that type of OCD. I basically buy anything that even remotely looks like it'll appeal to me (although I'm much more selective than many in this thread). And some times I get pleasant surprises, and sometimes those chocolate bars turn out to be bars of shit. But the average price still works out nicely. And I get to experience games I would have otherwise never given a chance to.

Dude you are showing some really compulsive behavior.
An entry in a list is meaningless, let it go.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Which is the real shame of having that type of OCD. I basically buy anything that even remotely looks like it'll appeal to me (although I'm much more selective than many in this thread). And some times I get pleasant surprises, and sometimes those chocolate bars turn out to be bars of shit. But the average price still works out nicely. And I get to experience games I would have otherwise never given a chance to.

Yes, that's another example that having bad games on your list is not actually a bad thing, because it means you tried something out. What if that game was amazing? You'd never know.

What worries me most is that he's saying things like "yeah, I do understand that most people wouldn't relate to this issue, but..."

That's not healthy behavior, that's not something that you should understand why people don't relate to it, brush it aside and do it anyway. This is not a "I don't like Canoli!" type of deal, it's a real issue. "There's a list of Virtual Goods I purchased on my computer that bothers me to the extreme of making me believe wasting 2000 dollars on the same digital goods again so they can be on another list is a good idea" is something that should be looked into.

Edit: Trashing his Steam account and creating another is actually the easy way to deal with the issue. He shouldn't do it.

That's not healthy behavior, that's not something that you should understand why people don't relate to it, brush it aside and do it anyway.
I don't think so. I am sharing my opinions with others, and of course am getting feedback.

But in the end it is my opinion that matters the most. Not what other people think.

ShaneB

Man, this is just getting strange, what the heck. It's just games! :( Do you wear your Steam games listed on a shirt or something? *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom