• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Man, this is just getting strange, what the heck. It's just games! :( Do you wear your Steam games listed on a shirt or something? *shrug*

It's not really about shame of other people knowing you have a bad game on your list (which is what you're implying with your scenario), it's an actual personal unease sentiment about something that's beyond your control.

I find it interesting that the fact that he bought the game in the first place doesn't bother him, what bothers him is the fact that the game is in his list and he can't do anything about it. I'd be much more bothered by the fact that I paid money for something that's not good.

On his case, money is not the factor: He's willing to spend much more money to fix an entry in a list. I couldn't care less for the fact that I have Duke Nukem Forever on my list, for instance: The game is horrible, but I'm a part of the story of that game. I just wish I didn't pay full 49,99 us dollars for it.

Either way, HolyBaikal should just contact support, explain the situation and ask them to have the game removed from his account.

And then he should seek professional help.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Buying games is serious business apparently.

If I got that disgusted over every bad game on my Steam list I wouldn't have the energy to be disgusted at anything anymore. I just move it down to a trade in category I made where it becomes invisible to me.

But you hate games, wouldn't that be all of them? :D

@Bakai I'm pretty sure no one cares what games are on your list. Even if you do, don't get so worked up over something so miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

Derrick01

Banned
But you hate games, wouldn't that be all of them? :D

@Bakai I'm pretty sure no one cares what games are on your list. Even if you do, don't get so worked up over something so miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

Well I have over 300 games I think and the trade in category is at least half that. I bought a lot of shitty indie games back when Steam used to have good steam sales with the contests attached to them.

Well I have over 300 games I think and the trade in category is at least half that. I bought a lot of shitty indie games back when Steam used to have good steam sales with the contests attached to them.

Speaking of Steam sales, when was the last time there was an absolute killer sale that couldn't be beaten by GMG, Amazon, and others?

Wok

HolyBaikal - Maybe it's time to make good on your plans from the other thread, and just take a break from Steam for a while and take up handheld games. Maybe after a while, you'll be able to come back and look at this little episode with some fresh perspective.

Exactly. I suspect the problem is this guy has a problem with an addictive game such as Dota 2, and wants to get rid of it because he is addicted to it. Calling the game bad is just a deceiving strategy to try to play less. There are so many wrong points with HolyBaikal:
  1. there is no such thing as a perfect Steam library: you can like a game one day and despise it several years after
  2. the only winning strategy when you have OCD or addictions is not to play: in this case, do not use Steam, but use DRM-free downloads from Humble Store
  3. there are more important things in life than having a few games: find people/animals you like and spend time with them
  4. use your OCD in a productive way: learn, create something, teach, do something with others
  5. you don't need to look at your Steam library: put some shortcuts on the desktop and launch games directly
  6. set your Steam profile to private

Perhaps I should abandon PC gaming for a while, then. And maybe focus on handheld gaming. At least handhelds have more games I care about and I don't feel pressured to buy a game I dislike just because it is cheap.

It is true, I have OCD. [...] This one I want removed isn't so much because it is a bad game, but because it really morally irks me. Though my reasons don't matter, really.

1-D_FTW

Speaking of Steam sales, when was the last time there was an absolute killer sale that couldn't be beaten by GMG, Amazon, and others?

Rayman Origins finally dropping below 10 dollars and selling for 6.xx the other week was pretty good. Others had dropped below the 10 dollar mark before, but it always had some lousy form of DRM stuck with it.

Grief.exe

There was 99 cent Half Life 1 day, and then 2.99 Psychonauts brief deal. I think there was one for TF2 though, pre-F2P, but I could be mistaken.

Yep TF2 was $2.50 one Halloween in like 2009.

That us when I got into it.

To be fair that was a pricing error. I mean a legitimate sale.

That is when I picked Sleeping Dogs up.

I wasn't sure about that one since I had just tried to get through GTA: EFLC.
I actually quit a couple hours in, the controls were so clunky and I was legitimately bored.

Sleeping Dogs blew me away.

Exactly. I suspect the problem is this guy has a problem with an addictive game such as Dota 2, and wants to get rid of it because he is addicted to it. Calling the game bad is just a deceiving strategy to try to play less.
No, it is a game I legitimately dislike and do not want to play because I find it gross.

Though the problem with that is that I still like the PC platform, just that I'm sick of waiting for good games to get on Steam. I'm anticipating games like Skullgirls that might be coming soon. As well King of Fighters and Final Fantasy games.

But it is coming so slowly that it is frustrating. I want to be excited for Steam, but now Steam is the only platform I have that has games I hate. I have no other platform with games I literally hate like this. Also, while I prefer to play games on the PC, a lot of the games I want to play are console exclusives. Things like DS and 3DS games.

I've got a 3DS, so even though I prefer to PC game, I'd might as well use it proper.

The addiction problem wasn't of having addictive games, it was me being addicted to buying games to the point I would blind buy. Leading to me having games on my Steam I would refuse to keep in my own home as physical games. If these were real games I would try to sell them. If I could not sell them, I would give them away. If I could not give them away, I would burn them in a cleansing fire.

Anyway, I am attempting to make a new Steam account right now. I went to change user to make a new one, but when I made a new one it just logged me into my old account and acted like the new one was just a new email. I've uninstalled and am reinstalling Steam and hope that helps.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The addiction problem wasn't of having addictive games, it was me being addicted to buying games to the point I would blind buy. Leading to me having games on my Steam I would refuse to keep in my own home as physical games. If these were real games I would try to sell them. If I could not sell them, I would give them away. If I could not give them away, I would burn them in a cleansing fire.

You have a problem, I said that multiple times and other people already told you.

Making a new Steam account will not fix your problems for you, you'll just hide them away in another account

You keep saying that you're taking input from this, but you just keep saying that it's a thing you have and acting like it's normal.

I will no longer touch on the subject, but you should seek help from mental doctors.

StuBurns

Banned
I'd like Steam to let me remove games, or give them away, etc. It certainly doesn't bother me to any major extent, but it's kind of lame having terrible shit there. I'd like to rename stuff too, so sequels with odd naming conventions are next to each other.

There's a bunch of library management shit they should have really.

sonicmj1

- Right click on the game you hate.
- Select "Set Category"
- Name that category, "Chimpanzee Riding on a Segway" so you'll smile every time you read it. Click OK once you've set your category.
- Now click on the '-' icon next to the name of your category. The game is now hidden from view! You never have to look at it again!
- You can repeat this process as many times as you want with other games by adding them to the same category.

If that doesn't work for you, seek medical help.

Wok

My guess is Binding of Isaac.

I second this guess. I cannot think of another game which would be both:
  • morally irking,
  • really cheap.

There was this Spring indie sale recently. Does someone remember whether BoI was on sale at that time?

Edit: What about Cart Life? Does this game challenge your moral? I doubt Cart Life is the culprit though, since you could just play the free version before deciding to buy it.

I'd like Steam to let me remove games, or give them away, etc. It certainly doesn't bother me to any major extent, but it's kind of lame having terrible shit there. I'd like to rename stuff too, so sequels with odd naming conventions are next to each other.

There's a bunch of library management shit they should have really.

This. Or at least hide certain games on certain platforms. Like hiding the OSX versions of GTA 3/VC.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Why are we expecting him to have traditional morals? Its probably because a game is not kawaii enough and is therefore unclean and an abomination.

Grief.exe

Seek medical help? Come on guys, that's mean.

We cant understand what he is going through, so just say your advice and leave it at that.

My advice is, on your new account always buy games as gifts.

Then they sit in your inventory instead of your library.
Activate the ones you want to play, give away the ones that you regret.

Simple as that.

No way someone doesn't like BoI.

Nope. Believe it or not I'm actually kinda fond of that game. Not as fond of as some other games. But definitely one of the games I had put in one of the categories I'm more fond of. The gameplay is classic and retro in great ways. And I enjoy the themes.

I enjoy the Legend of Zelda gameplay and the Biblical themes. It is more of a horror game. And the themes aren't so much offensive to me as they are just sad and kind of horrifying. I don't feel antipathy towards the protagonist at all because she's just trying to survive. It's a dark game, similar to Yume Nikki in a way. I don't mind dark.

I don't like it when certain things are glorified. Nothing particularly immoral in The Binding of Isaac is glorified.

If y'all want another hint, it is a "AAA" game.

Also, I finally am finished making my new account. It feels good. Calming and peaceful.

Tesseract

Banned
Some of it is my OCD.

Some of it is I'm sure me just being different and having different interests, concerns, and priorities than a lot of other people.

For many people, having less games on Steam is worse than having bad games. And having bad games is an extremely trivial matters, while abandoning or not having many games is a non-trivial matter.

To me, quality over quantity is important and I made the mistake of going for quantity.

it's 100% ocd. you need help, i hope you get it.

Grief.exe

If y'all want another hint, it is a "AAA" game.

I've actually been trying to get Skyrim off of my top ten most played Steam games for a while now.
I realised I hated it about 10 hours in, but the achievement junkie and Elder Scrolls fan in me kept me playing.

I'm just about there. It will be gone this year.

A couple more games of Binding of Isaac will put it in the 9th spot.
I'm planning on doing another play through of Deus Ex: HR which will put it in the 10th spot.
Then I just need Dark Souls II, Destiny, Halo 3, or Day Z to finish the job.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Grief_exe/games?tab=all

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
@HolyBaikal: I only asked what game it was because certain games can't be removed (those that were part of bundles for example).

This isn't true. The SSA actually has a specific section regarding requested account/subscription terminations, which states:

B. Termination by You.

You may cancel your Account at any time. You may cease use of a Subscription at any time or, if you choose, you may request that we terminate your access to a Subscription. However, Subscriptions are not transferable, and even if your access to a Subscription for a particular game or application is terminated, the original activation key will not be able to be registered to any other account, even if the game or application was purchased in a retail store. Access to Subscriptions purchased as a part of a pack or bundle cannot be terminated individually, termination of access to one game within the bundle will result in termination of access to all games purchased in the pack will be removed from the account. Your cancellation of an Account, or your cessation of use of any Subscription or request that access to a Subscription be terminated, will not entitle you to any refund, including of any Subscription fees. Valve reserves the right to collect fees, surcharges or costs incurred prior to the cancellation of your Account or termination of your access to a particular Subscription. In addition, you are responsible for any charges incurred to third-party vendors or content providers before your cancellation.

I can only assume that those who have had game removals denied requested so with the implicit understanding that they'd receive a refund, as otherwise the refusals makes no sense; the above makes it quite clear that user-requested cancellations are completely valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom