• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

vazel

Banned
I realized that once again the free trial game(this time Natural Selection 2) didn't properly delete itself. It just disappears from my Steam client but the files still remain on my hard drive.

iLCpoFjtmNLn9.jpg

Am I seriously the only one with this problem? I wonder how many of you have free trial files still sitting on your hard drive without realizing it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I realized that once again the free trial game(this time Natural Selection 2) didn't properly delete itself. It just disappears from my Steam client but the files still remain on my hard drive.

Am I seriously the only one with this problem? I wonder how many of you have free trial files still sitting on your hard drive without realizing it.

Yeah that always happens when a trial expires before you uninstall it. Kinda dumb, I wish it removed the files too but i'm sure people would get upset if it did.

Nakayumi

Is Don't Starve worth it? I see that by pre-ordering it I receive two copies and some TF2 items (which will probably sell nicely on marketplace). However, not sure about the game itself.

vazel

Banned
Yeah that always happens when a trial expires before you uninstall it. Kinda dumb, I wish it removed the files too but i'm sure people would get upset if it did.
I'm not necessarily asking for it to auto-delete itself. What annoys me is how it disappears from my Steam client with no indication that it's still installed on my hard drive.

This is what happens when a game is installed that you don't own. It shows up in Steam but with a 'purchase' label. This is how free trial games should remain in the Steam client instead of disappearing altogether.
i70iLjpzex9bL.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not necessarily asking for it to auto-delete itself. What annoys me is how it disappears from my Steam client with no indication that it's still installed on my hard drive.

This is what happens when a game is installed that you don't own. It shows up in Steam but with a 'purchase' label. This is how free trial games should remain in the Steam client instead of disappearing altogether.
i70iLjpzex9bL.jpg
Nah, I don't want games I don't own plaguing my library. It's bad enough already with the Ys Origin demo not disappearing from the games list in my Steam profile.

vazel

Banned
Nah, I don't want games I don't own plaguing my library. It's bad enough already with the Ys Origin demo not disappearing from the games list in my Steam profile.
But the free trial files are still sitting in your hard drive. At least this way you have the option to delete it from within your Steam client. I am not asking for a permanent entry in your Steam client. Just an option to delete the free trial files from within your Steam client.

I seriously don't think many people are understanding what I'm saying here. There's a problem with the way the Steam client handles free trials.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
But the free trial files are still sitting in your hard drive. At least this way you have the option to delete it from within your Steam client. I am not asking for a permanent entry in your Steam client. Just an option to delete the free trial files from within your Steam client.

I seriously don't think many people are understanding what I'm saying here. There's a problem with the way the Steam client handles free trials.
It could give you the option to choose which one you want, that's fine. But I'd take having to manually delete the game files over being forced to have an expired game on my library any day.

You know what? I'm going to make a new account just to avoid having Ys Origin demo on it :p

Yeah me too. Still the option would be nice.

capturecpo8t.png
Oh wow WOW. For a second I thought... but no, then I realised that's the Mac version.

Don't ever do that again.

vazel

Banned
It could give you the option to choose which one you want, that's fine. But I'd take having to manually delete the game files over being forced to have an expired game on my library any day.

You know what? I'm going to make a new account just to avoid having Ys Origin demo on it :p
Why do you keep assuming it has to be a permanent entry in your Steam client. All it has to do is show you which expired free trials are present on your hard drive and give you the option to delete it.

This is what happens when I delete Binary Domain on the account I don't own it on. It gets deleted from both my Steam client and hard drive. No permanent entry.
ibgVDeiEWFq5j6.jpg

iiXIePEXsIRm7.jpg

Edit: Looks like Steam didn't delete Binary Domain from the hard drive. Steam needs to fix this flaw. I don't like there being games installed on my hard drive that don't show up in the Steam client. It looks like any game not owned by the current account will not get deleted from your hard drive, only from your client.

Jawmuncher

So is it just me or does Big Picture mode not allow you to invite?
I can accept them in RE6 but I can't seem to send them.
Is it just RE6 or is this a known issue?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So is Brutal Legend ridiculous short if you skip the side content or something? I'm kinda surprised I have 2 story achievements left at 4 hours played.

Dr Dogg

So is Brutal Legend ridiculous short if you skip the side content or something? I'm kinda surprised I have 2 story achievements left at 4 hours played.

About 4-6 hours if you avoid all the collectables and side 'missions'. Still I was just having a hoot driving around to a kick arse soundtrack half the time until late on in the game where I knuckled down. Multiplayer seams to be where the meat is and is actually surprisingly quite enjoyable if you don't go in thinking it's an RTS.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
About 4-6 hours if you avoid all the collectables and side 'missions'. Still I was just having a hoot driving around to a kick arse soundtrack half the time until late on in the game where I knuckled down. Multiplayer seams to be where the meat is and is actually surprisingly quite enjoyable if you don't go in thinking it's an RTS.

No one would confuse stage battles with actual RTS gameplay. It's a terrible attempt at grafting those concepts to a controller though.

MNC

It's really annoying I have to keep myself from rushing through a game just to get it checked off the backlog. I don't want Bioshock Infinite to end, one of the games I'm just enjoying and taking it all in; but I just know I'll play atleast 3 other games 'just the main content' just to get it over with. It sucks. Maybe I'll make a new account or something. Or not. Or games just last too long, sometimes. Sometimes I'd prefer playing a 6 hour game, so my attention span will stay with that certain game long enough to enjoy it. I've played far too many games where I felt "OK, fun's over guys. Let's wrap it up."

Man, my posts in this thread are so random.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
It's really annoying I have to keep myself from rushing through a game just to get it checked off the backlog. I don't want Bioshock Infinite to end, one of the games I'm just enjoying and taking it all in; but I just know I'll play atleast 3 other games 'just the main content' just to get it over with. It sucks. Maybe I'll make a new account or something. Or not. Or games just last too long, sometimes. Sometimes I'd prefer playing a 6 hour game, so my attention span will stay with that certain game long enough to enjoy it. I've played far too many games where I felt "OK, fun's over guys. Let's wrap it up."

I had the exact same problem with Alan Wake.
Then after finishing it up, I wasn't in the mood to try the DLC, up to today :/

Dr Dogg

I know exactly what you mean. This year though I've adopted a different method. If I'm not enjoying the game and I'm only playing to get it off my backlog I'll play it in chucks, level by level so not to get totally bored with it. Beat a level or section and put it down for the day or move on to something else. Some stuff has taken me 3 months just to get through, others 5 years!

BioShock Infinite was different for me as I was so engrossed in the story I couldn't put it down. Played it for 3 days straight and enjoyed it more than anything else I've beat this year. I didn't rush through it at all. Took my time and explored the environment looking for voxophones and other bits and bobs. I was the same with Dishonored. Plan to replay both of them fully when I get some breathing space from the backlog.

MNC

I had the exact same problem with Alan Wake.
Then after finishing it up, I wasn't in the mood to try the DLC, up to today :/

Alan Wake was one of the games that made me post this. I've finished it + Signal + Writer DLC, but I'm pretty much burned out on the gameplay. I changed the way I played about 3/4th through, which is the point I got really bored with the game. That was a game that I would've liked if it was only 5-6 hours long.

I finished Bulletstorm afterwards; very short, but sweet game. I put 10 hours into it (which is quite long apparently still) but the game did something refreshing every new act/level, which kept me interested. I don't know if I'm turning into an a soggy bastard that likes old games better, or that I'm a victim of today's media of 'everything has to be short, fast, cool'. I hope I'm just a soggy bastard that doesn't like this generation of games a lot :p

I know exactly what you mean. This year though I've adopted a different method. If I'm not enjoying the game and I'm only playing to get it off my backlog I'll play it in chucks, level by level so not to get totally bored with it. Beat a level or section and put it down for the day or move on to something else. Some stuff has taken me 3 months just to get through, others 5 years!

BioShock Infinite was different for me as I was so engrossed in the story I couldn't put it down. Played it for 3 days straight and enjoyed it more than anything else I've beat this year. I didn't rush through it at all. Took my time and explored the environment looking for voxophones and other bits and bobs. I was the same with Dishonored. Plan to replay both of them fully when I get some breathing space from the backlog.

I think I'll have to do it as well. Just play a level a day, take it easy. The day I see gaming as work/chore is the day I quit gaming! Probably not, but it'll be a very bad day. Worst thing is, sometimes I get a feeling of "Oh man, I want to play game X" which stays interesting for 2 hours and then I don't want to play it any more. Half my backlog problems is just not feeling like starting up a certain game.

Wok

Both games (Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite) last 10 hours. This is the perfect time span for this kind of gameplay in a single-player adventure. Deux Ex Human Revolution is way too long, and the player gets bored. Portal 2 is a model: a single-player which lasts 8 hours, and lots of replay values, thanks to leaderboards and coop'. Skyrim was okay with a time span of 30 hours, but this is thanks to lots of in-game content (music, characters, animals, voices, etc.). L.A. Noire is too long, because the game is very repetitive and does not show so much content.

Dr Dogg

Both games (Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite) last 10 hours. This is the perfect time span for this kind of gameplay in a single-player adventure. Deux Ex Human Revolution is way too long, and the player gets bored. Portal 2 is a model: a single-player which lasts 8 hours, and lots of replay values, thanks to leaderboards and coop'. Skyrim was okay with a time span of 30 hours, but this is thanks to lots of in-game content (music, characters, animals, voices, etc.). L.A. Noire is too long, because the game is very repetitive and does not show so much content.

I suppose it's all down to different people play different games different ways and finish them in different times in a different amount of sessions. I know what you saying but here's a few example just from my own experiences.

BioShock Infinite took me roughly 18 hours to finish and Dishonored around 20. I soaked up every single bit of each of those games and took way longer than what most people list on hltb but due to personal enjoying the experience with both my interest didn't wane.

Where as Halo 3 and ODST both took me around 8 and 6 hours respectively they both bored me to tears and took 5 and 4 years to beat due to not being interested in the world, character or story (well maybe a bit in ODST).

Despite DE:HR taking me 25 hours I couldn't put it down and went and hacked every computer and did every side quest. Portal 2 took me 12 hours and then I went and played it again on PS3 and then in coop. L.A. Noire took me 13 hours on 360 and did it over a weekend and about 18 on PC and I did that in 2 chunks despite having being a game with little to no replay value and having played it before.

The length of the game doesn't really make a difference to me but good games I won't notice the time it takes where as bad ones it seams a lot longer. The Steam 'hours played' stat sometimes makes me stop and look. I suppose we all got to find what works for ourselves really.

oipic

Both games (Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite) last 10 hours.

Incidentally, while ~10 hours seems to be the accepted length of a typical Dishonored play-through, I'm about 15 hours into it... and nowhere near the end, as best as I can tell. I'm playing stealthily, so there's a bit of trial and error and back-tracking, but I'm glad it's not over just yet - I'm enjoying it a lot.

Completely sucking at games sure does extend the play-time.

Wok

I suppose it's all down to different people play different games different ways and finish them in different times in a different amount of sessions. I know what you saying but here's a few example just from my own experiences.

BioShock Infinite took me roughly 18 hours to finish and Dishonored around 20. I soaked up every single bit of each of those games and took way longer than what most people list on hltb but due to personal enjoying the experience with both my interest didn't wane.

Where as Halo 3 and ODST both took me around 8 and 6 hours respectively they both bored me to tears and took 5 and 4 years to beat due to not being interested in the world, character or story (well maybe a bit in ODST).

Despite DE:HR taking me 25 hours I could put it down and went and hacked every computer and did every side quest. Portal 2 took me 12 hours and then I went and played it again on PS3 and then in coop. L.A. Noire took me 13 hours on 360 and did it over a weekend and about 18 on PC and I did that in 2 chunks despite having being a game with little to no replay value and having played it before.

The length of the game doesn't really make a difference to me but good games I won't notice the time it takes where as bad ones it seams a lot longer. The Steam 'hours played' stat sometimes makes me stop and look. I suppose we all got to find what works for ourselves really.

Sure. From a player point of view, a good game never lasts too long. From a designer point of view, an average 20-hour long game could make a good 10-hour game, and I feel like DE:HR or LA:N would have been better in overall if they had been shorter.

Incidentally, while ~10 hours seems to be the accepted length of a typical Dishonored play-through, I'm about 15 hours into it... and nowhere near the end, as best as I can tell. I'm playing stealthily, so there's a bit of trial and error and back-tracking, but I'm glad it's not over just yet - I'm enjoying it a lot.

Completely sucking at games sure does extend the play-time.

From what I have read, Dishonored does have some replay values, and depending on the playstyle, the game can last longer. I have no problem with this, since this seems to be a well-designed game: it is up to the player to play for more than 10 hours, or to rush a bit more. Basically, if the player has to play for 20 or 30 hours to see the ending of a game, the creator should have put a lot of content in the game, otherwise the designer should have allowed the player to play different ways and finish the game quickly if she wants. There is nothing worse than playing a good game for 6 hours, expecting 4 hours till the end, and then to have to play the same average gameplay for 20 more hours instead: the player ends up with a bitter taste because the problems with the gameplay become obvious after a forced long playthrough.

Sure. From a player point of view, a good game never lasts too long. From a designer point of view, an average 20-hour long game could make a good 10-hour game, and I feel like DE:HR or LA:N would have been better in overall if they had been shorter.

From what I have read, Dishonored does have some replay values, and depending on the playstyle, the game can last longer. I have no problem with this, since this seems to be a well-designed game: it is up to the player to play for more than 10 hours, or to rush a bit more. Basically, if the player has to play for 20 or 30 hours to see the ending of a game, the creator should have put a lot of content in the game, otherwise the designer should have allowed the player to play different ways and finish the game quickly if she wants. There is nothing worse than playing a good game for 6 hours, expecting 4 hours till the end, and then to have to play the same average gameplay for 20 more hours instead.

Again, it comes down to repetition. That was my problem with L.A. Noire. Game was great for the first hour or two...and then the rest of the game is EXACTLY the same thing.

I didn't have the same problem with Deus Ex, but then again really enjoyed the whole package.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I think I've spent 3 or 4 hours at Dishonoured and only completed the first proper mission. A ghost/no-kill/no-upgrade playthrough definitely takes more than 10 hours, at least if you suck at it like me.

Dr Dogg

Sorry I might not have made myself clear in my rather long winded post. I never look to the length of a game as an indicator of enjoyment. I loved DE:HR and L.A. Noire and they could have been 5 hours or 50 hours and that wouldn't have changed my opinion. Where as Halo 3 and ODST, which are renowned for being quite short, I would have still not have been interested in if the we 5 mins or 50 hours (damn you achievements).

Bad games are bad and good games are good in a players eyes but everyone who continues to play a bad game wants it over soon and a good game to never stop. Obviously it's subjective to everyone what constitutes bad and good.

I can totally understand yourself or anyone else for that matter thinking a game like DE:HR or L.A. Noire might be dragging along and would be better if it cut out the fat but there are also others who, like myself just kept playing despite the length and enjoyed them from start to finish. I didn't want the first Assassin's Creed to end so to lengthen my enjoyment I took it one assassination a night. Where as one of my friends from work hated it and played about half way in 2 days before casting it aside.

I think I've spent 3 or 4 hours at Dishonoured and only completed the first proper mission. A ghost/no-kill/no-upgrade playthrough definitely takes more than 10 hours, at least if you suck at it like me.

What padded out my time with Dishonored was all the hidden lore. I'd stop in every house and it would be like 'Oh hey a book!' and end up spending most of the game reading. Did the same in Morrowind and Oblivion. If fact my first playthrough of Oblivion took around 40 hours before I even picked up the main quest due to my Bibliophilia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom