• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I've spent 3 or 4 hours at Dishonoured and only completed the first proper mission. A ghost/no-kill/no-upgrade playthrough definitely takes more than 10 hours, at least if you suck at it like me.

I started off that way but quickly lost patience as I realized I could just blast through it with little repercussion. I'm weak.

Wok

Sorry I might not have made myself clear in my rather long winded post. I never look to the length of a game as an indicator of enjoyment. I loved DE:HR and L.A. Noire and they could have been 5 hours or 50 hours and that wouldn't have changed my opinion. Where as Halo 3 and ODST, which are renowned for being quite short, I would have still not have been interested in if the we 5 mins or 50 hours (damn you achievements).

Bad games are bad and good games are good in a players eyes but everyone who continues to play a bad game wants it over soon and a good game to never stop. Obviously it's subjective to everyone what constitutes bad and good.

I can totally understand yourself or anyone else for that matter thinking a game like DE:HR or L.A. Noire might be dragging along and would be better if it cut out the fat but there are also others who, like myself just kept playing despite the length and enjoyed them from start to finish. I didn't want the first Assassin's Creed to end so to lengthen my enjoyment I took it one assassination a night. Where as one of my friends from work hated it and played about half way in 2 days before casting it aside.

I got your message the first time. While I agree a bad game is bad no matter how short a playthrough lasts, I disagree about average and good games: just as with movies, good games can become average if they last too long, and average games can leave the player with a sweet taste/memory if they do not expose their flaws for too long.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I've spent 3 or 4 hours at Dishonoured and only completed the first proper mission. A ghost/no-kill/no-upgrade playthrough definitely takes more than 10 hours, at least if you suck at it like me.

My initial, Clean Hands (no kills) + Shadow (no alerts; combining this with Clean Hands also nets you Ghost) + Mostly Flesh and Steel (no upgrades) run ultimately took me a good 40 hours or so, chiefly due to exploration -- I blinked just about everywhere I could -- and requisite save-scumming.

I intend to revisit the game at a later date, opting for a lethal playthrough, so I can enjoy the chaos one can create using the game's weapons and powers.

Dr Dogg

I got your message the first time. While I agree a bad game is bad no matter how short a playthrough lasts, I disagree about average and good games: just as with movies, good games can become average if they last too long, and average games can leave the player with a sweet taste/memory if they do not expose their flaws for too long.

Oh yeah of course. I mean there has to be someone out there that thinks Bad Rats is the shining example of game design, they might have some serious mental problems but that's not my place to question their decision. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and one man's junk is another man's treasure.

I intend to revisit the game at a later date, opting for a lethal playthrough, so I can enjoy the chaos one can create using the game's weapons and powers.

Likewise mainly due to all the cool powers and abilities not to mention Bone Charms are catered towards causing mayhem.

nexen

tuche man. Can't disagree on that one. Forced me to lower the difficult for just boss battles. THOSE were terribad.

So OTHER than that.... :D

On that note I just finished Deus Ex: HR: The Missing Link and the boss battle in that game is about 1000x better than what they did in the main game.

Derrick01

Banned
I started off that way but quickly lost patience as I realized I could just blast through it with little repercussion. I'm weak.

Don't blame yourself, blame that game's shitty design. They want you to be able to do what you want instead of properly playing it as a stealth game so feel free to slice everyone up.

Dr Dogg

I'm anticipating the debut game from Derrick that turns the game industry on it's head. Hey with Kickstarter a pretty viable option anyone can be a game designer. Right?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Truly an Ebert & Roper for gaming.

Ebert is capable of liking a movie for what it is, though. He may not be super-consistent with it, but he can see a film in a genre that he absolutely hates and still appreciate it.

Now, if we want to talk about Leonard Maltin...

nexen

I would like to go on record as saying that Dishonored is one of the best games to come out of the industry in a long time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I would like to go on record as saying that Dishonored is one of the best games to come out of the industry in a long time.

I've been meaning to play it, but it's taking a while to drop below the $25-ish range. I've waited this long, can't hurt to wait a bit longer.

BTW, the only thing worse than Derrick's posts are the constant conversations about him (yes, I'm being part of the problem with this post, but still...).

Dr Dogg

Unlike most indie developers I have the common decency not to try and make a game.

Hahaha. Nah it's cool Derrick. In a sea of praise it's always good to see your thoughts about a particular game some of us might have over looked. Though I do feel that for myself to judge a games design poorly without the proper knowledge of the intent or process of the developer would be a bit brash. Or as Sun Tzu put it "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster" or something like.

Grief.exe

Its been at the top of my wishlist since it came out.

I've been playing the price waiting game, which I can essentially play indefinitely because of the amazing games on my backlog.

I can't move without tripping over yet another amazing game to play.

Mark of the Ninja and XCOM right now.

AoE II and another play through of Bioshock Infinite up next.

FloatOn

Its been at the top of my wishlist since it came out.

I've been playing the price waiting game, which I can essentially play indefinitely because of the amazing games on my backlog.

I can't move without tripping over yet another amazing game to play.

Same for me. I wonder which is the better game, Dishonored or Infinite.

morningbus

The only thing worse than the constant conversations about Derick are the constant conversations about the constant conversations about Derick.

Cheddahz

Banned
One of my really close friends and I agreed on something last night, why is it that Square Enix is literally making every Eidos game into a action packed game?

morningbus

One of my really close friends and I agreed on something last night, why is it that Square Enix is literally making every Eidos game into a action packed game?

Probably because their Japan-based branches have slipped so far this generation, they need easily marketable, lower-risk games from their other subsidiaries.

HoosTrax

The only thing worse than the constant conversations about Derick are the constant conversations about the constant conversations about Derick.
Where on this scale do we put the conversations about HolyBaikal's OCD disorder attention whoring.

---

Undecided about Dishonored. If it's anything like Half-Life or Bioshock, I'll probably hate it, but the stealth gameplay is a wildcard.

morningbus

Where on this scale do we put the conversations about HolyBaikal's OCD disorder attention whoring.

---

I prefer the scale-as-a-circle model:
5smR3Xt.jpg

You can decide what fits where in this analogy.

Derrick01

Banned

Do we know it's SE doing it or is it Eidos people? They are on an impressive franchise ruining streak lately but these games take years to make so who knows where the mandate came from.

Dr Dogg

Just taking a guess here, but Dishonored probably has more replay value. I've only played Infinite though.

Well there are 2 distinct ways you can 'deal' with your targets in Dishonored thought there are multiple lethal ways. Although while the levels are open in nature it's still quite cut and dry regards to how you get to your objective and as in Assassin's Creed the high route is always the best.

The morality system is something Arkane called Chaos and you are awarded either a low or high rating depending on how many kills, alarms triggered and spots you had in the level.
This apparently effects how the final level plays out.
I've only
done low chaos due to being a namby pamby pacifist
but definitely plan to replay it when I've got some breathing room in my backlog.

Was 50% off in the Crimbo Steam sale and some story dlc is out soon so there might be another sale around the corner.

nexen

What if it doesn't fall precisely into the genre you wanted? Does it automatically become shit?

No?

I feel like this wasn't really directed at me, somehow.

Speaking of shit games:

OFP: Red River is an absolute travesty. They decided they wanted to be COD and fail so hard at it, I think they left a crater. They also have this annoying super-macho-patriot-marine guy hoo-ahing and over-explaining everything. I really, really want to shoot him.

Also the most recent Ace Combat is nigh unplayable.

---

Undecided about Dishonored. If it's anything like Half-Life or Bioshock, I'll probably hate it, but the stealth gameplay is a wildcard.

Did he ever say what game it was that offended him so much? I was lurking from home, but found it amusing.

Dishonored feels like a mix of Bioshock and Thief. Light RPG with stealth. Not very Half-Life at all, at least not how I played it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
OFP: Red River is an absolute travesty. They decided they wanted to be COD and fail so hard at it, I think they left a crater. They also have this annoying super-macho-patriot-marine guy hoo-ahing and over-explaining everything. I really, really want to shoot him.

How does it compare to Dragon Rising? I found that bizarrely compelling despite it having a boat-load of issues.

nexen

How does it compare to Dragon Rising? I found that bizarrely compelling despite it having a boat-load of issues.

I bought OFP: Red River because I thought OFP: Dragon Rising was very underrated.

Big mistake.

It really is the most shitty game I've played in... I don't know how long. I couldn't bring myself to play it more than a handful of hours (if that) and I had to quit.

edit: basically they badly shoe-horned in COD style over-the-top military action into the OFP engine, which cant deliver it at all.
The tactical depth seems to be gone (I didn't play long enough to make sure) as you are shuttled by AI directly from firefight to firefight.
So all you really have is the gun-play now, which consists of aiming at poorly animated, low res dudes from far away and firing the weak sounding weapons and looking for your crosshair to flash red.
On top of that the tone of the game comes off as this weirdly lensed 'murica! machismo bullshit. It is the most off-putting thing about it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I bought OFP: Red River because I thought OFP: Dragon Rising was very underrated.

Big mistake.

It really is the most shitty game I've played in... I don't know how long. I couldn't bring myself to play it more than a handful of hours (if that) and I had to quit.

Damn, if you dug DR like me and hated RR then I should probably skip RR.

Or sucker some friends into playing RR in co-op with me muahahahaha.

HoosTrax

Dishonored feels like a mix of Bioshock and Thief. Light RPG with stealth. Not very Half-Life at all, at least not how I played it.
Mkay, I might check it out if it goes on an appropriately large discount.

The problem I have with games like Half-Life and Bioshock is that they're designed to funnel you through very specific routes with scripted events happening predictably at regular intervals. It's not corridor-shooter-restrictive, but it's restrictive nonetheless. And it's compounded by the issue I always run into with games like those, where there are routes that I think I should be able to take, but they're not what the level designer intended, so I end up getting stuck for minutes, before understanding that I'm supposed to crouch down and go through that little storm drain (as in the case of HL2). Instead of say, just climbing over a chain link fence.

Other games with this type of level design might give you a compass pointer to let you know the general direction you should be headed, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I find pacing (i.e. not getting stuck) to be improved.

Derrick01

Banned

The problem I have with games like Half-Life and Bioshock is that they're designed to funnel you through very specific routes with scripted events happening predictably at regular intervals. It's not corridor-shooter-restrictive, but it's restrictive nonetheless. And it's compounded by the issue I always run into with games like those, where there are routes that I think I should be able to take, but they're not what the level designer intended, so I end up getting stuck for minutes, before understanding that I'm supposed to crouch down and go through that little storm drain (as in the case of HL2). Instead of say, just climbing over a chain link fence.

Other games with this type of level design might give you a compass pointer to let you know the general direction you should be headed, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I find pacing (i.e. not getting stuck) to be improved.

Dishonored is like the total opposite of that. Just don't go in expecting it to be as open or clever as Thief or Deus Ex (the first one) and you'll probably enjoy it. There's usually multiple ways to get rid of a target including a nonlethal one.

1-D_FTW

Budgets.

The good news is, people won't be able to piss and moan about franchises being ruined much longer. Because unless you're a Battlefield/CoD/GTA game, the AAA genre is just going to die out.

You can't have unlimited budgets without making severe consequences to appeal to the widest possible audience. Sucks, but that's reality. Next gen will kill off any AAA pretenders and really hammer things home.

nexen

Dishonored is still linear, but in a 'choose-your-path' kind of way. Felt more open than the original Bioshock to me, but still far more constricted than an open-world game. Most, if not all objectives have several ways to approach them.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Dishonored for me was more of a game where I got to fuck about a good bit in this cool sandbox and try and be as inventive as possible with deaths etc. It's ok as a stealth game once you learn it's 'way' of doing things but it's not really a hardcore stealth game in the way for example Thief 2 is, the greatest stealth game ever made. I remember was it RockPaperShotgun compared it to Thief ? Utter nonsense and don't go expecting that but it does what it sets out to do very well in terms of giving the player plenty of powers to use/choose from and the fun that can result from using those.

My favourite thing was dealing with situations on the fly with the powers that you had selected and working within that. I was pretty happy with that, I was a bit disappointed in its stealth but I just went with it and loved it for what it did well. Blink is also one of the most fun powers ever, it's a power which breaks the game in a way but it also makes it so much fun I don't really care. Really looking forward to the DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom