• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

I enjoyed Fallout 3 back in the days. One of the few games I got on day one and played right away. It was not a masterpiece, but I enjoyed it. Actually, it was more being addicted to it, the way Bethesda games usually take hold of me. I think they're not great while I play them, still I can't (couldn't, see below) stop playing them.

Skyrim made me realize I am now tired of the same game coated every time in a new skin, each time even more basic and casual and accessible and hand-holding and for everyone. I couldn't finish it nor stand it and I think I'll never be excited for a bethesda rpg ever again (unless it will seem revolutionary or something, for a bethesda rpg at least).

Now, my actual question and point is: how is New Vegas different from Fallout 3? Because if I think about going back to a bethesda rpg right now I feel I want to puke. I know New Vegas gets a lot of recognition but is that different from F3? I've had it in my backlog for years and still can't find the strength to start it. If you guys tell me it's very similar to F3 I might as well scratch it off the list and be done with it (no, I won't create another account to get rid of it, sadly).

Discuss!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Zeno Clash 2 pre-order is up.

Only 10% pre-order discount and you get Zeno Clash. That's a bum deal, I wish it would give me an extra discount if I already had Zeno Clash. 15% for the pre-order and another 10% if you already had the game would be a better deal.
I never played the original. Is that the game that a GAFfer once described as "a playable Yes album cover"? Because that piqued my interest.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I tried playing Zeno Clash for a couple hours but I wasn't really feeling it. I found the combat to be a bit clunky and frustrating and while the environments looked cool, the level design was super linear.

Lingitiz

I enjoyed Fallout 3 back in the days. One of the few games I got on day one and played right away. It was not a masterpiece, but I enjoyed it. Actually, it was more being addicted to it, the way Bethesda games usually take hold of me. I think they're not great while I play them, still I can't (couldn't, see below) stop playing them.

Skyrim made me realize I am now tired of the same game coated every time in a new skin, each time even more basic and casual and accessible and hand-holding and for everyone. I couldn't finish it nor stand it and I think I'll never be excited for a bethesda rpg ever again (unless it will seem revolutionary or something, for a bethesda rpg at least).

Now, my actual question and point is: how is New Vegas different from Fallout 3? Because if I think about going back to a bethesda rpg right now I feel I want to puke. I know New Vegas gets a lot of recognition but is that different from F3? I've had it in my backlog for years and still can't find the strength to start it. If you guys tell me it's very similar to F3 I might as well scratch it off the list and be done with it (no, I won't create another account to get rid of it, sadly).

Discuss!
I'm currently playing NV right now for the first time. It's pretty similar to 3, but the writing and characters seem way more interesting than 3. All the quests i've done so far have been pretty unique. Every quest has alot of different branching choices. The main quest is definitely grabbing me more than 3 ever did.

Bethesda's games have great worlds but they fill it with alot of generic characters and quests. NV looks like it has much more thought into those things. If 3 was Oblivion with guns, NV feels more like its own game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I tried playing Zeno Clash for a couple hours but I wasn't really feeling it. I found the combat to be a bit clunky and frustrating and while the environments looked cool, the level design was super linear.

The combat was alright but mine kept crashing and having constant glitches and hitching. At one point it made my display drivers crash. Never had that happen.

Needless to say to this day I've still never finished the game.

Derrick01

Banned

Discuss!

Well keep in mind that New Vegas keeps a lot of the core Bethesda design since it's using the same engine. It's going to look and for the most part play like a Bethesda game.

But what you get in New Vegas is a much superior RPG. The writing and quest design is so much better it's like watching a NBA game after a WNBA game. They added so many little elements to it like weapon mods, a faction system and ammo types for different enemy types and a lot of balancing tweaks. It's the game fallout 3 should have been.

Tomodachi

New Vegas has dope writing and quest design. That's the biggest difference between it and Bethesda games.

I'm currently playing NV right now for the first time. It's pretty similar to 3, but the writing and characters seem way more interesting than 3. All the quests i've done so far have been pretty unique. Every quest has alot of different branching choices. The main quest is definitely grabbing me more than 3 ever did.

Bethesda's games have great worlds but they fill it with alot of generic characters and quests. NV looks like it has much more thought into those things. If 3 was Oblivion with guns, NV feels more like its own game.

Well keep in mind that New Vegas keeps a lot of the core Bethesda design since it's using the same engine. It's going to look and for the most part play like a Bethesda game.

But what you get in New Vegas is a much superior RPG. The writing and quest design is so much better it's like watching a NBA game after a WNBA game. They added so many little elements to it like weapon mods, a faction system and ammo types for different enemy types and a lot of balancing tweaks. It's the game fallout 3 should have been.

Mmmm, I see. That's interesting. Thanks guys.

I can see myself enjoying it for the writing only, the one in F3 was very poor indeed. I will make sure to start it and give it the time to get interesting, if that's its appeal.

Lothars

Mmmm, I see. That's interesting. Thanks guys.

I can see myself enjoying it for the writing only, the one in F3 was very poor indeed. I will make sure to start it and give it the time to get interesting, if that's its appeal.
F3 has a way more interesting world with the random sites and everything, It really blows new vegas away in that aspect.

TxdoHawk

Nah, everything is fine - and that is always the case. 70% of the uploads do not get through the first time.

Something is definitely going on at the moment regardless. Teamfortress.com is borked and so is Steam Community. Traffic from the Reddit April Fool's joke?

Ok, I've been kind of disconnected the entire day. Were there any week-long deals announced this time around? Or are those tomorrow? Kind of strange if they have dumped this so quickly =/

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I somehow managed to get better times on the Android version of Super Hexagon than on Steam, except for Hexagonest.

I wish there was a way to transfer my scores between the different versions.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Will we get banned for posting a code for Bioshock Infinite that is actually Bad Rats, because I've been trying to get rid of this Bioshock Infinite code for awhile.

Wok

Will we get banned for posting a code for Bioshock Infinite that is actually Bad Rats, because I've been trying to get rid of this Bioshock Infinite code for awhile.

If you give it to HolyBaikal, then yes.

First:

I'd really like something like this.

Looks like I need to look into this game and add it to the collection.

Then:

The quest is to find me a new skin.

Also, I finally am finished making my new account. It feels good. Calming and peaceful.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I will take bad rats! Always wanted to try it for the lulz. The question is, why do you have an extra copy?
Thanks for taking one for the team, that's a game I swore I'd never own, and I wish to keep it that way.

I'm on my phone now, so I couldn't redeem it anyway, but I'm glad I don't get the chance to.

Dr Dogg

I will take bad rats! Always wanted to try it for the lulz. The question is, why do you have an extra copy?

Hahahaha if you're being serious I have a copy sat in my inventory. More than welcome to it.

ib1fKjsN9FHn01.PNG

http://youtu.be/E-WHW-QNswE?t=25s

Inconceivable! Cheers Salsa now I have the compulsion to watch The Karate Kid.

Dr Dogg

If you don't want it at all, I will take it. At least I will be able to say "I PLAYED BAD RATS!" my profile name is arts&crafts, not sure how to link it.

Maybe this works http://steamcommunity.com/id/artsncrafts/

Rightyho sent. Don't go blaming me if I ruin an evening for you :p. Though I'm sure we all expect thoughts or a written review.

Edit: Oh FFS I've now somehow managed to turn the language in Steam to Finnish. Bloody late April Fool.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Rightyho sent. Don't go blaming me if I ruin an evening for you :p. Though I'm sure we all expect thoughts or a written review.

Edit: Oh FFS I've now somehow managed to turn the language in Steam to Finnish. Bloody late April Fool.
Consider it karma for sending him that turd, lol

I just realized that Dyad was set to release sometime near the end of March, and yet we never even got a store page. Has there been any word about the PC release since Shawn's "announcement" trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom