• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
FREE GAMES! YEAH!(Indie lol) 1st to quote. 1 per person and it better be for you, I don't wanna see you selling it for $.25 or anything.

Uplink

Trauma
Beat Hazard Ultra
Crayon Pyschics Deluxe
Tobe's Vertical Adventure
Geneforge Saga
Give me one at random, I'm feeling lucky.

FREE GAMES! YEAH!(Indie lol) 1st to quote. 1 per person and it better be for you, I don't wanna see you selling it for $.25 or anything.

Uplink

Trauma
Beat Hazard Ultra
Crayon Pyschics Deluxe
Tobe's Vertical Adventure
Geneforge Saga

I'd love uplink!

Edit: Big thanks to diggler41!

DarkFlow

Banned
It's not even about the money. It's that I'm horrible at RTS. I played lots of Company of Heroes, but mostly 2x2 or 3v3 matchmaking with 1 or 2 other friends.

Those friends are no longer that much into video games, so there's nobody for me to play with. And I got destroyed on the Alpha.

Add me on steam, I also suck at RTS but still love to play them. We can suck together. ID in my profile.

n/m, I already have you! We can stink up CoH2 as a team.

Sajjaja

I got this gifted to me a few days ago and I have since ascended to a new tier of manhood.

Also I'd be into Starvoid if nobody else is gonna jump on that.

Is it good? Geneforge Saga I mean. I haven't heard much about it. And whats sucks about Starvoid is that it's multiplayer only and I heard that its was virtually dead D:

EDIT: Thanks to diggler for the saga! Can't wait to play it, brah :D

Karakand

I'll just upload them into an imgur album.

And mountain dew? What do you think this is? Call of Duty? No that shit was Nos Energy Drinks.

Here it is: Homefront product placement

My personal favorite:

kfTnYC8h.jpg

When I started seeing this garbage in my playthough, I at first thought this was just subtle commentary about how economic policy had destroyed American culture to such a degree that the only way to display meaningful American imagery in the face of an invasion was with corporate branding, but then I realized there isn't even a Tiger Direct brick-and-mortar store in Colorado.

diggler41

No one wants these?

Trauma G02D5-HR80T-NX7VK

Beat Hazard Ultra F7I5N-JXNMH-K7CJJ

I will just feed them to the lurkers in a sec if I have no takers. Eat my lurkers, EAT!

diggler41

It's incredible. 5 huge RPGs with faction systems, true choice and consequences, Deus Ex-inspired level design where every problem has multiple solutions... I played a bit of the first to get a feel for where it came from, and now I'm 15 hours into the last game, because I figured if I only have time to play one, I might as well see the ending through. All of them are jumping on points, so you can start wherever you want, although if you're going to play more than one, you might as well go for the first.

If I wasn't so far in, I'd just go back to the original. I will definitely play through all of these on and off for the next few years.

EDIT: Diggler41 is actually the guy who gifted these to me. And I didn't originally ask for them, I just pointed out that somebody else didn't say thanks for the key they used. Then he offers me a key in a PM. Thanks again, dude. Two of the best gaming experiences I've had this year were from generous gaffers (thanks again for The Witcher 2, Felix Lighter!).

Ahhh That's sweet. Thanks duder. I am glad you enjoyed them. Hopefully I can get around to playing them soon(not likely with a massive backlog) :)

demolitio

Sold some stuff to finally cover a purchase of Bioshock Infinite once it's on sale. I don't expect it to happen on Steam for a bit but please let me know if you see it elsewhere on an actual reliable site...lol

Should be perfect for after my procedure next week now that I made my man cave for it. :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sold some stuff to finally cover a purchase of Bioshock Infinite once it's on sale. I don't expect it to happen on Steam for a bit but please let me know if you see it elsewhere on an actual reliable site...lol

Should be perfect for after my procedure next week now that I made my man cave for it. :D

If a discount of 25% is sufficient, Salsa can get you the game for $45.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
New Steam update, it seems:

All platforms:
- Fix Auto-Cloud being erroneously disabled for some games
- Improve Steam startup and shutdown times by removing unnecessary Cloud syncs
- Improve Steam startup time even more for some users

Windows:
- Fix "there is no disk in drive ..." error dialog issue

Hey, how about using that unnecessary cloud syncing fix and sync the goddamn categories and non-steam shortcuts files, huh? HUH?

Deques

Speaking of which, for those who bought the game a while ago via Groupees' Be Mine 6, your Desura key doubles as a Steam key if you remove the dashes.

For those who has it in Desura can also get it on Steam for free

Go to this page while logged in and press request key. I just tried it and it worked!

demolitio

If a discount of 25% is sufficient, Salsa can get you the game for $45.

That sounds pretty good. Might have to try to sell one last game to recoup the costs but I don't want to be bored when stuck in my room. The funny thing is that was the whole reason I got my Vita since I was having surgery that same day. Boredom makes me spend money every time.

Primal Carnage is a perfect example of a fun, cheap game to pass the time. Nothing ground-breaking, but dinosaurs are always fun! :D

SparkTR

Pre-ordered. I had an absolute blast playing the first one.

I did the same. The original still has the best first person melee system in gaming, the only game that comes close is Chivalry, but it's hard to compare the two due to the multiplayer focus of Chivalry. I just hope they were able to port the system accurately to UE3, and that the campaign is a decent length this time.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I did the same. The original still has the best first person melee system in gaming, the only game that comes close is Chivalry, but it's hard to compare the two due to the multiplayer focus of Chivalry. I just hope they were able to port the system accurately to UE3, and that the campaign is a decent length this time.

The first game is great but I'd have to give it to Condemned 2 for best first person melee combat system, it's better and more satisfying IMO plus you can throw bums into tvs :p I am however looking forward to Zeno Clash 2 greatly. Picking fools up and slam dunking them headfirst into the ground ? Why yes please and thank you. We need more first person brawlers damnit! CoOp should be a great addition as well, surprised it's never been tried for a first person brawler before now.

SparkTR

The first game is great but I'd have to give it to Condemned 2 for best first person melee combat system, it's better and more satisfying. I am however looking forward to Zeno Clash 2 greatly. Picking fools up and slam dunking them headfirst into the ground ? Why yes please and thank you.

Condemned 2 was definitely more visceral and 'tighter', but I felt the movement and pace of the combat was too slow, it suited the style of game Condemned was going for but it just wasn't as fun for me. Zeno Clash the mechanics were tuned more towards movement that encouraged the played to run, dodge and just move around between opponents to gain different advantages, instead of just blocking as the best method. That and I disliked the adrenaline moves, it just further slowed down the combat in Condemned 2 which I'm hoping isn't the case with Zeno Clash 2. We definitely need more first person brawlers though.

Nillansan

Well, apparently the campaign is around 10 hours. The world is supposedly more open this time around and you are free to go where ever you wish - there are no segmented areas like in the previous one.

Zenozoik is just ripe for exploration. I can't wait.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Condemned 2 was definitely more visceral and 'tighter', but I felt the movement and pace of the combat was too slow, it suited the style of game Condemned was going for but it just wasn't as fun for me. Zeno Clash the mechanics were tuned more towards movement that encouraged the played to run, dodge and just move around between opponents to gain different advantages, instead of just blocking as the best method. That and I disliked the adrenaline moves, it just further slowed down the combat in Condemned 2 which I'm hoping isn't the case with Zeno Clash 2. We definitely need more first person brawlers though.

Actually yeah I can agree with that in terms of combat speed, combat in Condemned 2 is without a doubt more methodical and the reason I love it is the 'viseral' nature of the combat. The way your punches hit, the way enemies are shouting and screaming as you are punching them in the face '*growl* FUUUUCKER!', putting enemies heads into vices, throwing them into TVs, kicking their heads into door frames etc. It's very satisfying on a very primal level, it's incredibly aggressive in its nature. I do think it has more choice in terms of how to approach things with including melee weapons, guns, the adrenaline moves etc but I guess that they are very different in their approaches.

Regardless, roll on Zeno Clash 2!

If you've never played it I'd recommend trying out Breakdown on the original xbox. I'm not sure if its backwards compatible on the 360 (assuming you have a console) or not or how well it even holds up now (it might be a bit too slow for you going by what you were saying) but I loved that at the time. First person melee with superhero powers etc :p

Dr Dogg

First day having to get some kip early and back to work and I get to miss all the melodrama. Being a European really does suck.

Wait, Dawn of War II is one of the pre-order bonuses?

Damn.... Now I really want Company of Heroes 2. I played lots of 1 back then.

However, it doesn't have the usual local price discount... hmmm...

Well a local retailer by me has it available to preorder for £25. I'm umming and ahing whether I want free swag I own already to sell off to make it cheaper or by it locally and get some cashback. Far too many options these days :p

jediyoshi

A little surprised to see Warframe break top 10 currently played atm. Don't recall seeing a lot of non valve f2p games so high up

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
A little surprised to see Warframe break top 10 currently played atm. Don't recall seeing a lot of non valve f2p games so high up

Planetside 2 and Tribes hit the top 10 when they came out.

Warframe is pretty good. Gameplay is solid and there are OCD hooks out of the ass. Its business model is kinda ehh though. You can buy extra lives with cash (granted they're only like $0.20/each, they restock every 24 hours and your co-op partners can rez you for free if they're fast) and some weapons/suits are cash shop only.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Can't totally disagree with that. The trick is to play, at most, 30-60 minutes a day and find some friends to play with.

FloatOn

It seems steams webpage is down. Error says that it's experiencing heavy load.

Either everyone is buying defiance or a bunch of crazy stuff is coming out today.

Warframe gets boring fast.

I'm feeling this already as well, and I've only played it for a couple of hours. I love loot and games with loot, but the game is lacking that important drive for me to keep playing. The only thing I can think of is completing the missions for completion's sake. However, the level design is boring, the art style is bland, and depending on the mission, you'll be fighting a lot of the same looking, uninspired enemies. Maybe having some kind of narrative would help it, but there isn't really so the world feels artificial.

The whole F2P model is based around colors, weapons, and glorified alternate costumes. That leaves the loot to be focused on weapon enhancements like 7% critical chance increase or 10% more ammo for a given gun which aren't nearly as exciting as picking up weapons or armor in any other looting game. So yeah, this game is rapidly becoming boring.

jediyoshi

Looking at my last big purchases

Tomb Raider - 15 hours
BioShock Infinite - 12 hours
Resident Evil 6 - 63 hours

:|

Planetside 2 and Tribes hit the top 10 when they came out.

In that case, seeing as those had the predecessors of Planetside and Tribes while Warframe's leadup is essentially just Dark Sector, it's especially nuts.

Saty

Was SteamPipe mentioned?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7388-QPFN-2491

We are upgrading TF2, DoD:S, CS:S, and HL2:MP to be delivered through SteamPipe, Steam’s new content distribution. This will change how the game is downloaded, and how it is stored on your computer. The benefits to players are:

Faster and smoother downloads
Faster game boot times and map load times
Easier distribution, installation, and management of mods
Smoother dedicated server distribution and update rollover

More at the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom