• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

my opinion of Infinite is changing.

Someone should have told me that playing with Vigors + Skyhook only was viable. It would have saved me from using these boring guns.

Grief.exe

This is the one that doesn't allow simultaneous downloads, right? Or is that unrelated to SteamPipe and the way files are stored.

Its just the way files are stored on the system.

Old source games had this really antiquated installation and load methods.

You could only install them on your main Steam install. I have two installations of Steam right now, one on my ssd and one on my storage drive for tf2.

FloatOn

How come everyone finishes this game so quick??
I'm 8 hours in, and still have yet to meet the infamous Handyman type enemy. :/

I'm pretty sure I'm at the end of the game and I'm at 9.8 hours logged. Game is super quick if you don't search every nook and cranny.

Its just the way files are stored on the system.

Old source games had this really antiquated installation and load methods.

You could only install them on your main Steam install. I have two installations of Steam right now, one on my ssd and one on my storage drive for tf2.

Yeah, I always hated that about Source games and THQ games (SR3, Homefront, etc) while most games allow me to install them onto my alternate directory on my HDD.

Did a CDN change bring about the restrictions on simultaneous downloads? I preferred it as it used to require less micromanagement and would allow you to fully saturate your connection.

JustinBB7

Steam autostarts much much faster on Windows bootup than it did for me a month or so ago. These recent updates have really paid off.

Mine is still terrible, it either takes forever it just doesn't load at all and I have to force crash it and try again. Really fucking annoying.

I think it's something to do with the amount of screenshots I have and steam trying to load them somehow. I saw a fix in a changelog for it a while ago and it was fine for a while, but an update later it broke again. Dunno what to do about it :/

Everyone do yourselves a favor and buy torchlight 2 and get the syngergies mod.
Seriously, for $10 you can't go wrong, and runic games are just awesome devs, none of this Blizzard real money actionhousing B.S.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mine is still terrible, it either takes forever it just doesn't load at all and I have to force crash it and try again. Really fucking annoying.

I think it's something to do with the amount of screenshots I have and steam trying to load them somehow. I saw a fix in a changelog for it a while ago and it was fine for a while, but an update later it broke again. Dunno what to do about it :/

Maybe try reinstalling Steam?

Dr Dogg

The problem with Source games is just that, Source. Harks back to the days of Steam being primarily a uniform patching service. To make things a bit easier on downloads all Valves titles shared the same installation and libraries for the Source engine. Ever wonder why you get an update for Day of Defeat source as well as CS Source at the same time? This is likely the answer.

It was only after Source went through some radical changes with Portal 2 did it become a separate entity and installs in the steamapps folder. Thankfully Valve have almost transitioned all the legacy Source titles now. At work so can't really check but since TF2 has been put on Steam Pipe if I remember correctly it now has it's own independabt Source build in its application folder.

Zia

Valve's first-party stuff doesn't begin the switch to SteamPipe until later this month, correct?

Also: totally agree about Steam being considerably quicker, on Mac and Windows. It's really nice. Polish, polish, SteamBox is on the way.

DagsJT

Seriously, for $10 you can't go wrong, and runic games are just awesome devs, none of this Blizzard real money actionhousing B.S.

Can the mod be installed and used mid-game? Or does it require starting fresh?

Dr Dogg

Yeah been debating it. When I saw the price I was on the fence then seeing there's a 4 pack even more tempted. Though me and loot games have issues. Plus Torchlight is a time sink. I'm trying to clear my backlog not add to it. Most of all though I'm skint until mid month. Sod it I might go sell some hats.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So after getting 4 player co-op set up in System Shock 2 completely failed last night I'm trying to brainstorm some other good 4 player co-op games, preferably classics.

A couple questions:
1.) How well does co-op work in zDoom for Doom 1/2? We all have Evolve setup (so much better than Tunngle/whatever the fuck is left of Hamachi) so faking a LAN isn't an issue.
2.) We are planning on picking up Duke 3D whenever they add co-op, have the devs given any ETA on that patch?

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe try reinstalling Steam?
Just be careful if you do this to back up the games folder (steamapps I think it's called?) since otherwise, uninstalling Steam will probably delete like 400GB of games without warning you, and you will be sad. Several of us have probably had that experience by now, and it's not a mistake you tend to repeat.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So after getting 4 player co-op set up in System Shock 2 completely failed last night I'm trying to brainstorm some other good 4 player co-op games, preferably classics.

A couple questions:
1.) How well does co-op work in zDoom for Doom 1/2? We all have Evolve setup (so much better than Tunngle/whatever the fuck is left of Hamachi) so faking a LAN isn't an issue.
2.) We are planning on picking up Duke 3D whenever they add co-op, have the devs given any ETA on that patch?

I'm still pulling for EYE: Divine Cybermancy.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm still pulling for EYE: Divine Cybermancy.

Already reinstalling. Hopefully Evolve smooths out previous connection issues for that. Also relevant: I can confirm that Bionic Commando's LAN mode skips that Capcom login that broke multiplayer for legitimate owners of the game so those prospects are looking pretty good for tonight.

Just be careful if you do this to back up the games folder (steamapps I think it's called?) since otherwise, uninstalling Steam will probably delete like 400GB of games without warning you, and you will be sad. Several of us have probably had that experience by now, and it's not a mistake you tend to repeat.

37euuKR.jpg

Nabs

Already reinstalling. Hopefully Evolve smooths out previous connection issues for that. Also relevant: I can confirm that Bionic Commando's LAN mode skips that Capcom login that broke multiplayer for legitimate owners of the game so those prospects are looking pretty good for tonight.

We gave it a try last night and everything went smooth.

garath

Someone tell me why they made all the Bioshock Infinite TF2 items non-tradeable. Don't they know half the reason I pre-ordered from steam was to sell those stupid things?

They are making it much less likely for me to want to preorder another steam game for the hats.

Someone tell me why they made all the Bioshock Infinite TF2 items non-tradeable. Don't they know half the reason I pre-ordered from steam was to sell those stupid things?

They are making it much less likely for me to want to preorder another steam game for the hats.

They'll be retradeable later

just give it time. Hell, the Scribblenauts hat didn't become tradeable for months

Grief.exe

Patience.

I don't think the Tomb Raider hats are even tradable yet.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Hmm, just received a press release from Sega saying the Company of Heroes 2 beta is live, but I'm not seeing anything in my games list. Maybe on the hour?

Dr Dogg

I think RionaaM was right I've been struck down with a bad karma. After sending arts&crafts Bad Rats Steam has been flicking between Finnish and English. What's the string again? Is is ?l=english to change the default language?

Derrick01

Banned

just give it time. Hell, the Scribblenauts hat didn't become tradeable for months

That's ridiculous. Depending what I get from these hats I don't think I'll bother with Steam preorders anymore. It was foolish of me to preorder it on Steam when all I had to do was wait a couple weeks before release for GMG to match the free games with a lower base price.

garath

I think all hats like that are non-tradeable for a limited time.

And you probably want it that way. I don't think you'd make much money if everybody who got those hats sold them off at once. Not sure why anybody would complain about this restriction when it works in your favor.

Patience.

Ok. So they become tradeable later. I didn't even realize I had all this TF2 stuff to sell until recently. I installed TF2 and poof, I had a bunch of stuff from previous pre-orders that I sold for $35. I assumed they would become tradeable after the game was released and you couldn't cancel the preorder anymore but I guess not.

I don't see why it takes so long but good to know it'll happen eventually.

Thanks guys.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Patience.

I sold my Tomb Raider stuff a couple of days ago.

I think RionaaM was right I've been struck down with a bad karma. After sending arts&crafts Bad Rats Steam has been flicking between Finnish and English. What's the string again? Is is ?l=english to change the default language?

Yes.

Grief.exe

Ok. So they become tradeable later. I didn't even realize I had all this TF2 stuff to sell until recently. I installed TF2 and poof, I had a bunch of stuff from previous pre-orders that I sold for $35. I assumed they would become tradeable after the game was released and you couldn't cancel the preorder anymore but I guess not.

I don't see why it takes so long but good to know it'll happen eventually.

Thanks guys.

Before the game is released, I believe it is to combat people pre-ordering, selling the hats for something liquid like keys or metal, then doing a chargeback.

Dr Dogg

Cheers. Oh about FM. They've only got copies of 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011 instock despite having loads of boxes out. Apparently they only sell copies that are classed as offline but this is more due to they cant check if a key has been redeem on Steam or not. 2009 and onwards redeem on Steam. I've asked if they get a copy of 2009 if they can't put it to one side for me. Though I feel like I'm lending an alcoholic money for a drink :p

Grief.exe

Happy spying. However, that list is no longer updated because valve removed ability to get gameschemas for unreleased games.

That is so lame.

If Halo 3 is still in development they probably switched Test Apps and we would have no idea anymore.

No fun allowed.

That's also because Scribblenauts was released in Europe months after North America.

Good point.

I'm still annoyed that the Bioshock Infinite pre-orders didn't include the shotgun for the scout.

Such a missed opportunity there, even has the same action as the Scout default weapon.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
New GreenManGaming deals and a new 20% voucher:

[url]http://blog.playfire.com/2013/04/new-month-new-deals.html[/url] said:
Available until 1600 UTC April 4th (This one's only available in Europe, sorry!)

Far Cry 3 at 50% off
Far Cry 3 Deluxe Edition at 50% off

Available until 1600 UTC April 5th

Batman GOTY Double Pack at 50% off
LEGO Complete Pack at 50% off
SpellForce Complete Collection at 75% off
SkyDrift Pack at 75% off
Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle at 75% off

Available until 1600 UTC April 8th

Sleeping Dogs Pack at 50% off
EVE Starter Pack at 50% off

Don't forget about our 20% voucher too!

Oh no, Eve.....

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Hmm, just received a press release from Sega saying the Company of Heroes 2 beta is live, but I'm not seeing anything in my games list. Maybe on the hour?

If you restart your steam client it should pop up, for some reason the games list doesn't properly assign it until you restart so it "checks" your permissions.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I got to a new area in Brutal Legend that looks ridiculously pretty so I think I'll do the side quests and collectibles so I can soak in the world a bit more after wrapping up the campaign. Hopefully the sidequests don't feature any of the crude RTS lite gameplay.

Grief.exe

I got to a new area in Brutal Legend that looks ridiculously pretty so I think I'll do the side quests and collectibles so I can soak in the world a bit more after wrapping up the campaign. Hopefully the sidequests don't feature any of the crude RTS lite gameplay.

Post some screenshots!

Grief.exe

For those that have played XCOM, is there a way to preview your move before you make it?

Like when you are playing Chess, if you move your piece and take a look at where you are moving, it doesn't count until you take your finger off the piece.

Is there a way to preview what enemies you can attack from that position? Who you are being flanked by? Even what percentage chance you have to hit those enemies?

I'm on a fresh install of Win 7 and too lazy to reset up all my screenshot related stuff so maybe in a week or two.

Just take a screenshot with Steam.

Turn off the compression in settings.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The only way you can redeem yourself is gifting me a good game. I won't discriminate, as long as I don't already own it :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cheers. Oh about FM. They've only got copies of 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011 instock despite having loads of boxes out. Apparently they only sell copies that are classed as offline but this is more due to they cant check if a key has been redeem on Steam or not. 2009 and onwards redeem on Steam. I've asked if they get a copy of 2009 if they can't put it to one side for me. Though I feel like I'm lending an alcoholic money for a drink :p

Haha, ta. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom