• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reminder that the Groupees Retro bundle is now live.

$1 nets you:
- Dead Pixels (Steam/DRM-free)
- Smooth Operators: Call Centre Chaos (Steam Greenlight/Desura/DRM-free)
- Forceline (Desura/DRM-free)

$3 or more gets you the above as well as:
- 8-bit Commando (Steam Greenlight/Desura/DRM-free)
- Anodyne (Steam/DRM-free)
- Bleed (Steam Greenlight/Desura/DRM-free)

As per usual, there are five bonuses that will be achieved as more bundles are sold, with the first being Sylia.

Thanks, bought for Anodyne.

$1 nets you:

As per usual, there are five bonuses that will be achieved as more bundles are sold, with the first being Sylia.

Thanks.

So what is the go with green light games? Does the key work if it passes?

Edit. Or I could answer me own question with a tiny amount of effort so, yes...

zkylon

zkylewd
Dishonored's mission design was really boring and simple in spots, and that ball is the highlight of silliness. You can solve that mission in about thirty seconds if you skip the duel outside. The game really could've used some more complicated or dense missions.
unfortunately dishonored had its wings removed by the decade it's released in.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I nominate Tomb Raider's "Run, you bastards! I'm coming for you all!" as the corniest line of the year.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
sorry bro, the nominees have already been told, bio infinite's puppy line is the lucky winner.

I've not played much of BioInf (I was supposed to smash it out over the weekend, but my mates are cunts :p), so I'll reserve my final judgement. Lara's line is ridiculously out of place, though: the game makes a less-than-awful effort to frame killing as something she does begrudingly, born from the desire to survive, but then all of a sudden -- and for no apparent reason -- she goes all, for lack of a better term, Nathan Drake.

ArjanN

unfortunately dishonored had its wings removed by the decade it's released in.

Eh, a big part of why you can cut missions short is because they are open-ended.

Similar to how you can beat any Hitman Blood Money mission in like a minute if you just run to the target and shoot them in the face.

Eh, a big part of why you can cut missions short is because they are open-ended.

Similar to how you can beat any Hitman Blood Money mission in like a minute if you just run to the target and shoot them in the face.

Yeah, but especially with that mission in particular, Dishonored sometimes makes things way too easy. For some reason the whole party is a death trap, and odds are the first person you talk to will tell you who the target is.

ArjanN

Yeah, but especially with that mission in particular, Dishonored sometimes makes things way too easy. For some reason the whole party is a death trap, and odds are the first person you talk to will tell you who the target is.

I'll agree they made the upstairs area mostly irrelevant, but I do really like the non-lethal option in that mission, and having a Hitman-like area where people don't just attack you on sight.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
RO1 is multiplayer only? Lame. I should have looked closer before adding it. I don't give a flying fuck about multiplayer.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I sometimes do that when discovered, or if the mission is to difficult (like the "final" one).

Am I ruining the industry more?

derExperte

So Fuel is actually a pretty competent racer. Not only competent, but also fun. I don't know how much that fun will last, but after 70 minutes of playing I'm left with a great first impression.

The races get REALLY long and boring after a while as the AI isn't much of a challenge and while the racing area is big it's also empty.

ArjanN

I sometimes do that when discovered, or if the mission is to difficult (like the "final" one).

Am I ruining the industry more?

No, just saying that by making something open-ended, you often give people the opportunity to cut missions short by taking the shortest/most direct path to victory.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

$1 nets you:

Aaaand... bought. I hate myself.

The races get REALLY long and boring after a while as the AI isn't much of a challenge and while the racing area is big it's also empty.
Cool, so I'll always come in first. That's nice!

Dr Dogg

Damn it. I'm awful at FTL. I either run out of fuel or get my crew killed by rampant fires. Latest disaster for the Kestrel and crew was locked in a battle I can only describe as a playground fight right next to a Sun. Seeing as the other guy was heat proof it didn't work out too well for me. There has to be a idiots or babies first guide to FTL somewhere. Despite that it's still a corking little gem.

Damn it. I'm awful at FTL. I either run out of fuel or get my crew killed by rampant fires. Latest disaster for the Kestrel and crew was locked in a battle I can only describe as a playground fight right next to a Sun. Seeing as the other guy was heat proof it didn't work out too well for me. There has to be a idiots or babies first guide to FTL somewhere. Despite that it's still a corking little gem.
In the Steam-guides you can find several guides containing hints and tips. But mostly: don't be afraid to run from a fight. The rest of hte stuff you'll find out by yourself, and even when you're doing everything just right you'll still die lots of times due to the universe being a bitch...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So Fuel is actually a pretty competent racer. Not only competent, but also fun. I don't know how much that fun will last, but after 70 minutes of playing I'm left with a great first impression. The vehicles feel really good, it's extremely arcadey, and I really dig how they drift. And the music is great too.

Not even the disgusting combo of SecuROM + GFWL can bring it down. I can't wait to play more of it tomorrow.

At some point after the 70 minute mark you will realize that it is a hollow experience, devoid of any soul. Cheating AI and awful driving physics on most vehicle classes combined with an open world that makes many tracks start to feel the same killed any interest I had in playing beyond 2 hours. Multiplayer is the only thing that could potentially make me reinstall it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
At some point after the 70 minute mark you will realize that it is a hollow experience, devoid of any soul. Cheating AI and awful driving physics on most vehicle classes combined with an open world that makes many tracks start to feel the same killed any interest I had in playing beyond 2 hours. Multiplayer is the only thing that could potentially make me reinstall it.

I thought Fuel had a great sense of progression and the further you got into it the more fun the races/vehicles got. I found it to be really underrated, hell I like it more than any racing game Codemasters themselves have developed in recent years and would say it's got more 'soul' than any of those games. Especially since all they tend to do is try to appeal to the US audience with their Dirt games in the pursuit of the big money instead of trying to be actual rally games. I cry for what they did to the Colin McCrae games.

The FUEL Refueled mod does make fucking around with it a lot more fun too, opens up all the areas at once and gives you lots of options to play with.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I thought Fuel had a great sense of progression and the further you got into it the more fun the races/vehicles got. I found it to be really underrated, hell I like it more than any racing game Codemasters themselves have developed in recent years and would say it's got more 'soul' than any of those games. Especially since all they tend to do is try to appeal to the US audience with their Dirt games in the pursuit of the big money instead of trying to be actual rally games. I cry for what they did to the Colin McCrae games.

The FUEL Refueled mod does make fucking around with it a lot more fun too, opens up all the areas at once and gives you lots of options to play with.

Dirt at least had good arcade driving mechanics. I would take a Dirt game and their point to point races over anything in Fuel any day.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, I'm liking the driving physics so far. And the AI doesn't feel like it cheats at all, in fact I'd say it's the opposite. It's like reverse rubber-banding: they slow down enough to let me pass them at the last second. And that's great: sometimes I wanna feel awesome, and have a good time without worrying about sucking at the game.

If I want to suck and come out last, I got that covered too: that's why I also grabbed GRID.

New account bad?
Nah, it stops at GAF account suicide.

Dr Dogg

The real question is if we are getting a full-fledged patch that strips out GFWL. Because that would be amazing.

When I've finished the Challenge modes and got 1000/1000 they can rip that abomination out. Might take a while though.

Would be great if they did that for AA and AC. I think I'm nearing 5 installations on the latter.

I have no idea where I am with some stuff, especially Tages DRM. Just made a catagory to stuff all my DRM loaded games so I don't accidentally remove one and get boned. Hang on can't you manually revoke Arkham City with /revoke added to the target? You can definitely do this for Asylum and Crysis with SecuROM.

Dr Dogg

They've been there for a few weeks now. They just don't work yet.

Yeah more than likely but only just noticed and didn't see that anyone had mentioned it so thought I'd throw it out there. Store page still says it has GFWL and SecuROM included thought :(

and SecuROM too! :(

and Tages, SolidShield, StarForce & ACTControl. All hardware based DRM is abhorrent. At some point this is going to effect the majority of paying consumers. At least Steamworks is just account based. Any way I'm sure we're all better off leaving the DRM is the devil debate for somewhere else but I'll just add boo hiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom