• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's also worth noting that gamepad support for Sands/Warrior/Two is dodgy at best and you'll probably need to futz around with xpadder to get them working.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It's also worth noting that gamepad support for Sands/Warrior/Two is dodgy at best and you'll probably need to futz around with xpadder to get them working.

Can I also note that Sands of Time is amazing?
And that Warrior Within and Two Thrones are not as good as Sands of Time, but still nice games.

Also, Sands of Time was released for free by Ubisoft on their Ad-Supported gaming experience, along with Far Cry, Ghost Recon and Raving Rabids:

http://www.fileplanet.com/180411/18...of-Time-Full-Game-[Free-Game---Ad-Supported]/

But I'd just buy the Steam one.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Fantastic. I've been wanting to pick up the DDE of The Forgotten Sands after realising my mistake yonks ago (that is, purchasing the standard edition).

But... the DDE is as expensive as the bundle itself.

And the bonuses don't seem that interesting:

Digital Deluxe Edition includes two exclusive skins, one exclusive map, the soundtrack of the game, and a free digital copy of Prince of Persia Sands of Time to play right away.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I had to use my old PS1 DualShock with a USB adapter, because my 360 pad didn't work properly with Sands of Time. The good thing is that DirectInput support doesn't require any additional driver or software.

Dr Dogg

Friendly reminder, Forgotten Sands uses uPlay and was at one point online-only. Can someone check if this is still the case?

Well I was in the middle of rocking out to Joe Danger 2 (fingers crossed on that Steam DB entry as it's awesome) but for you treacle, sure. Just let me get into the offline giggery-pokery.

Fake edit: Right first off Uplay ends up being a dick as says "There seams to be a problem with your internet connection" yadda, yadda, yadda so I clicked Go Offline and then clicked on Play and it launches fine. I think it's just the Uplay rewards which get disabled now.

Proper Edit: If you select the Uplay option in the menu the game has a shit fit and boots you out. Other than that it now works offline for me.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It is? Shows up as 4.99€ for me, double the standard version.

It's $5 and the bundle is $15.

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

24% more expensive than in the US for the Digital Edition. I guess Ubisoft forgot to pricedrop it in Brazil:

RD8N0Gf.png

Well I was in the middle of rocking out to Joe Danger 2 (fingers crossed on that Steam DB entry as it's awesome) but for you treacle, sure. Just let me get into the offline giggery-pokery.

Fake edit: Right first off Uplay ends up being a dick as says "There seams to be a problem with your internet connection" yadda, yadda, yadda so I clicked Go Offline and then clicked on Play and it launches fine. I think it's just the Uplay rewards which get disabled now.

Ah, thanks for checking :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hey Ms. Splosion Man popped under new releases for $9.99, *edit* It's back up no info on achievements or if it's GFWL though.

I'm so on this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's even published by Microsoft. They're not listed on the store page. It also hit iOS last week.

Can I also note that Sands of Time is amazing?
And that Warrior Within and Two Thrones are not as good as Sands of Time, but still nice games.

Am I the only one who really enjoyed the reboot (The original one not the movie tie-in)? I thought the world was fun to run around in and the focus on one-on-one combat, while a departure, really gave the game a unique feel.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Am I the only one who really enjoyed the reboot (The original one not the movie tie-in)? I thought the world was fun to run around in and the focus on one-on-one combat, while a departure, really gave the game a unique feel.

The "original" reboot? You mean Sands of Time? :D

Prince of Persia 2008 is pretty good. I still think Sands of Time is a better game.

The only one I actually didn't play was Forgotten Sands, and that was a throwback to the "sands of time" trilogy, wasn't it?

Dynoro

The reboot (2008) was by far the most enjoyable PoP game for me; I get the feeling most people who have enjoyed the franchise hate that version though.

How does Sands of Time hold up nowadays? Loved that game on the OG Xbox, and want to replay it. Pad support and widescreen support any good?

nexen

The second reboot of PoP (2008) I didn't care for. I liked the art style plenty but the level design was so arbitrary and gamey that I couldn't get into it. Also the 'no dying, ever' thing made it feel too pointless.

I really liked Forgotten Sands though. I think that game is underrated.

The "original" reboot? You mean Sands of Time? :D

Prince of Persia 2008 is pretty good. I still think Sands of Time is a better game.

The only one I actually didn't play was Forgotten Sands, and that was a throwback to the "sands of time" trilogy, wasn't it?

Heh, the reboot of the modern adaptation I guess. Semantics.

I wouldn't say SoT is a "better game" so much as it is different. Both are excellent; one focuses on group combat and "interior" settings, the other focuses on one-on-one combat and "exterior" settings while also perhaps leaning a little more on magic as a platforming device.

I just think it's criminal how rarely the 2008 release is even mentioned when the PoP name comes up as it's in the league of SoT and certainly more enjoyable than any of the other releases.

Forgotten Sands had some interesting platforming but I didn't get a lot out of the new prince/djinn-chick relationship. I found the conversation a little ham-handed and uninspiring though the platforming was entertaining (but Uplay...).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't think Prince of PErsia Classic ever came out for the PC, did it? Or, more importantly, Steam... :D

It came on XBLA, PSN, Android and probably iOS and it's not a bad version of the Original Prince of Persia with new graphics..

I'm so on this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's even published by Microsoft. They're not listed on the store page. It also hit iOS last week.

Hahaha.

Twisted Pixel is Microsoft. They're not an independent company.

Purchased it. It has GFWL (wish they had stated that on the store page). I can't play because it states it needs a cdkey to log in to Live which there isn't one. I can't bypass the log on so....hopefully this will get patched and hopefully Steam achievements added.

Looks like it'll be a good game but you may want to hold off on it if GFWL does not agree with you.

Grief.exe

I wonder if Arkham Asylum GFWL cheevos will unlock Steam Cheevos. That would be ace.

I would prefer they knock out GFWL completely.

I would have no problem re-earning those achievements down the line.

Patch out Securom and GFWL and I will buy Arkham City.

I'm just done with games that have ridiculous, and potentially damaging, DRM included. There are plenty of amazing games that cater more to the consumer.

HoosTrax

Purchased it. It has GFWL (wish they had stated that on the store page). I can't play because it states it needs a cdkey to log in to Live which there isn't one. I can't bypass the log on so....hopefully this will get patched and hopefully Steam achievements added.

Looks like it'll be a good game but you may want to hold off on it if GFWL does not agree with you.
Ouch. Thanks for taking one for the team, so to speak.

Oh boy.

Grief.exe

Try right clicking the game and view CD-key

Once in the game, if you shift+tab, is their an option to show CD-key

Registry Method:

Start > Run > Regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > H6432Node

Alternatively, you are probably justified to a refund since GFWL isn't on the software page.

It's weird, the achievements don't seem to be uploaded yet (I haven't seen them on x360a at least). They appear to have jumped the gun or something. Also, the vast majority of GFWL games do not need to be activated. Have you tried using a local account to play? If you want to play on your Live account, you could try disabling your network adaptor and booting into the game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It's weird, the achievements don't seem to be uploaded yet (I haven't seen them on x360a at least). They appear to have jumped the gun or something. Also, the vast majority of GFWL games do not need to be activated. Have you tried using a local account to play? If you want to play on your Live account, you could try disabling your network adaptor and booting into the game.

Wut?

All my GFWL games need a key activation. They even require it again if you reinstall your OS but don't create a new live profile (keeping your saves) - they will still require you to input a serial number the first time you run them.

Ouch. Thanks for taking one for the team, so to speak.

:(
Try right clicking the game and view CD-key

Once in the game, if you shift+tab, is their an option to show CD-key.....

Alternatively, you are probably justified to a refund since GFWL isn't on the software page.

Yeah thanks tried it, others having this problem as well. No cd-key context menu option or registry info. It's only $10 and it seems like a good game if not for GFWL.

I believe they may have jumped the gun on the release as well. It's happened to Steam games before. The store info page should say GFWL at least, maybe they will update it.

*EDIT* Someone get in touch with Noogy. Delay Dust if it uses GFWL.

Varg

Banned
Damn you steam putting the prince of Persia games on sale!!!! Never played any of them but heard so many good things throughout the years. Not really interested in the movie version and the colorful 1vs1 battle version. May just buy the three older ones.

Wut?

All my GFWL games need a key activation. They even require it again if you reinstall your OS but don't create a new live profile (keeping your saves) - they will still require you to input a serial number the first time you run them.

Same. Every game I've done with GFWL has needed a key. Getting some of these games to work have been so frustrating I don't even want to play.

Think i have about 5 minutes on GTA4.

Wut?

From the GFWL FAQ.
Do you need to activate to play when using an offline account?

No, if you create and sign in with an offline account, the Games for Windows — LIVE service is not contacted and therefore no activation or Internet connection is required.
There are exceptions, of course. Bulletstorm comes to mind. In your case, you are using a LIVE profile, thus you need to input the key. If you use a local account, 99% of the time you do not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
From the GFWL FAQ.

There are exceptions, of course. Bulletstorm comes to mind. In your case, you are using a LIVE profile, thus you need to input the key. If you use a local account, 99% of the time you do not.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the snafu that allowed GFWL games to be played with any valid GFWL key. (Was this ever fixed or has it remained a "feature"?)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
From the GFWL FAQ.

But... why would you even....

You know what, nevermind. People in this thread are motherfucking crazy when it comes to GFWL, I won't even bother.

Damn you steam putting the prince of Persia games on sale!!!! Never played any of them but heard so many good things throughout the years. Not really interested in the movie version and the colorful 1vs1 battle version. May just buy the three older ones.

I would recommend just buying Sands of Time. The other two are inferior. Not bad, but you might not want them. They'll be on sale again within three months, most likely.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I would recommend just buying Sands of Time. The other two are inferior. Not bad, but you might not want them. They'll be on sale again within three months, most likely.

For the same price. So you gain literally nothing by not buying them now.

I'd buy the first three and FOrgotten Sands, as it follows Sands of Time....

...but then again, might as well just buy them all, since PoP 2008 is a good game.

Everybody should buy the bundle, is what I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom