• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is so fucking stupid for ANY game on Steam to use ANY additional DRM on top of being Steamworks. I literally stopped buying all games that have additional drm save for a once in a lifetime exception like Dark Souls.

For the same price. So you gain literally nothing by not buying them now.

I'd buy the first three and FOrgotten Sands, as it follows Sands of Time....

...but then again, might as well just buy them all, since PoP 2008 is a good game.

Everybody should buy the bundle, is what I'm saying.

The point is a brother might not want a slightly shittier version of Sands of Time. That's what Warrior Within and Two Thrones irrevocably are. What's to be gained from not buying them now is like £3.50 towards a better game.

Nabs

I just recently played The Forgotten Sands and had a great time with it. Just remember to run the config tool in the directory to switch up your resolution. It also uses Uplay for some reason.

Purchased it. It has GFWL (wish they had stated that on the store page). I can't play because it states it needs a cdkey to log in to Live which there isn't one. I can't bypass the log on so....hopefully this will get patched and hopefully Steam achievements added.

Looks like it'll be a good game but you may want to hold off on it if GFWL does not agree with you.

Damnit.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is Forgotten Sands worth it? I think I've asked this before. I kind of want to give it a go. Didn't like PoP 2008 at all, but loved SoT.
I can't speak for the PC version, but the one on Wii is fucking incredible. An overlooked gem.

I know this isn't helpful at all, but I couldn't miss the opportunity to profess my love for that game.

Tomodachi

Is Forgotten Sands worth it? I think I've asked this before. I kind of want to give it a go. Didn't like PoP 2008 at all, but loved SoT.

I didn't like it. It looks like ass and the locations aren't as good as those in Sands of Time. It feels old yet it's much easier and hand-holding than SoT at the same time. I would just keep the good memories of Sands of Time but that's me.

EDIT: talking about the PC version, never tried it on the Wii and apparently it's a very different game there.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I can't speak for the PC version, but the one on Wii is fucking incredible. An overlooked gem.

I know this isn't helpful at all, but I couldn't miss the opportunity to profess my love for that game.

Isn't "Forgotten Sands" on the Wii a completely different game from the PC/Other Console versions though?

I remember something along those lines...

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if Sands of Time is as messed up as the PC version of Beyond Good and Evil (out of sync audio)? Or is it safe to buy?

THANKS GUISE!

eyeless

Purchased it. It has GFWL (wish they had stated that on the store page). I can't play because it states it needs a cdkey to log in to Live which there isn't one. I can't bypass the log on so....hopefully this will get patched and hopefully Steam achievements added.

Looks like it'll be a good game but you may want to hold off on it if GFWL does not agree with you.
man oh man

Oh, I thought you were referring to the snafu that allowed GFWL games to be played with any valid GFWL key. (Was this ever fixed or has it remained a "feature"?)
The GFWL games which use the "legacy" DRM may still allow this. MS have since moved to an account based DRM, so the key is tied to the account that activates it. That fixes it for newer games, but I'm guessing the older games are screwed? I don't know for sure.
But... why would you even....

You know what, nevermind. People in this thread are motherfucking crazy when it comes to GFWL, I won't even bother.
Iblis said he couldn't even play his game, thus I suggested a way he could. Not everyone cares about playing online... I don't see what is so bad about a local account.

Grief.exe

It is so fucking stupid for ANY game on Steam to use ANY additional DRM on top of being Steamworks. I literally stopped buying all games that have additional drm save for a once in a lifetime exception like Dark Souls.

This was my exception as well. I'm done.

I might not even pick up Dust if its GFWL, and I love Metroidvania games.

Nillansan

Damn it. I prematurely celebrated the death of GFWL.

I might not even pick up Dust if its GFWL, and I love Metroidvania games.

Luckily the dev has already confirmed that Dust won't be using GFWL.

JustinBB7

I hope there is a sale on the walking dead soon so I can tell everybody to buy it. (telltale walking dead of course)

There was a sale on all platforms except for PC/Steam :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't "Forgotten Sands" on the Wii a completely different game from the PC/Other Console versions though?

I remember something along those lines...
Yes, it's an exclusive version. It may be even better than Sands of Time, except for the story. So yeah, it's THAT good.

Is that the 2.5D one? I always wanted to try that.
Nope, it's full 3D. Was there a 2.5D version? I didn't know that, but now I'm interested.

Nillansan

Nice! I didn't see that one.

Was it on Twitter or GAF?

Right here on GAF.

Woo, sorry for not jumping in earlier, I just now got to a wifi hotspot.

The panel was a blast (thank you to everyone who attended), and surprisingly the live build did not crash! I believe the panel will be available for later viewing, after which I'll post a link.

But the big news is, of course, Steam. I'm so happy to finally start talking about it, and thank you guys for the reception is has received so far. I should note that the game will NOT be using GFW, and I've spent much of the last few months making it a PC friendly port. Running the game at 1080p is quite nice.

Anyway, I can't give a specific release date, but I'm working as fast as I can. Thanks everyone!

Beaten.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

This has to be a joke.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah can't say enough good things about The Forgotten Sands, pretty damn good sequel (set between Sands Of Time and Warrior Within I believe) and it can get very tricky towards the end platforming wise. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to due to it being a rushed game I think for the movie when it came out.

This has to be a joke.

Of course, GFWL had to die with a bang. It wants to be remembered.

I contacted Steam Support and asked them to include a 3rd party DRM GFWL notice on the store page and asked for a refund because of the cdkey issues. If I get a refund I'll purchase it again when the issues are fixed. I'd rather support Noogy for not making Dust: An Elysian Tail a GFWL title.

Grief.exe

I wonder if Age of Empires 2 HD will use GFWL.

The past 5 games Microsoft has published have all been Steamworks.

Its weird to see this one pop up, but I have a feeling that was due to developer choice. They are, most likely, uninformed about the PC space. Especially since they omitted including GFWL on the page.

I contacted Steam Support and asked them to include a 3rd party DRM GFWL notice on the store page and asked for a refund because of the cdkey issues. If I get a refund I'll purchase it again when the issues are fixed. I'd rather support Noogy for not making Dust: An Elysian Tail a GFWL title.

non-GFWL you mean?

I knew Dust was coming from Noogy's previous veiled comments on GAF and Twitter, but hadn't seen it in the Steam DB

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Its weird to see this one pop up, but I have a feeling that was due to developer choice. They are, most likely, uninformed about the PC space. Especially since they omitted including GFWL on the page.
Twisted Pixels last Pc game was steamworks.

Nabs

non-GFWL you mean?

Iron Brigade uses GFWL for everything and it's the reason why I deleted it :(

Then wtf were they thinking?

This is puzzling.

I'm guessing there's online co-op or something like that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Could it be that Ms. Splosion Man was actually ported months ago and they've just been waiting to release it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Given how long this has been in the registry for, I suspect this was completed some time ago, which might explain the apparent backslide on GFWL.

Nabs

On April 17th, Valve will announce the next batch of games and software titles to advance through Steam Greenlight, and be offered worldwide distribution via Steam.

Go vote!

Tomodachi

Anodyne is amazing, I've longed for a snes zelda clone for a long time. Did anyone manage to map the dpad from the 360 pad instead of the analogue stick? If I select "key binding" it only takes keyboard keys, if I go with "joypad binding" it only accepts analogues and buttons, but not the dpad. It's weird. Analogues are not that nice with this game, Young is often facing the "wrong" way (not the one I'd like) while moving.

On April 17th, Valve will announce the next batch of games and software titles to advance through Steam Greenlight, and be offered worldwide distribution via Steam.

Go vote!

I've kinda lost hope that the games I really want on Steam will ever make it through GL but I still vote every 2 days.

Def Jukie

It's 2013 and GFWL is still alive. This makes me sad. I thought the nightmare was over but it just won't end. Thanks for saving me some cash guys. I refuse to buy any more games using that crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom