• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

My only problem with Hotline is that I can't play it when my son is awake and so that gives me very a limited time-frame to play it.

That's the main reason I haven't beat Space Marine (the other being I just can't get past the 'protect me while I push this thing' part)

That's the main reason I haven't beat Space Marine (the other being I just can't get past the 'protect me while I push this thing' part)

Haha I haven't beaten Space Marine because of the slow-down issue... I really should reinstall it and push through during nap time some weekend.

esai

so i was about to start playing witcher 2 and noticed i could import a saved file from the first game. should i buy and play the first one before i go on?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Hotline: Miami bothers me for the same reason it bothers JohnDonut, and that's that the enemies are just as strong as me but are much faster. It just gets frustrating how fast they are when they can kill you with a single shot from offscreen.

Difficult games like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls make you feel like if you're at least careful you stand a fighting chance and when you get killed you learn from the mistake. To add FTL to the conversation since Caerith mentioned it, while you do sometimes enter into an impossible situation in that game it usually feels like you could have prepared in earlier levels differently or avoided the fight altogether in many cases.

Once I got past the initial levels my playtime with Hotline: Miami is full of a lot of -

1. walk down hallway and get murdered almost instantly by somebody I didn't see.
2. walk down hallway prepared for the guy that got me last time but shooting him drew out 4 other guys that killed me almost instantly.
3. Kill that guy silently but get seen by somebody else through a window I didn't realize was there and get killed almost instantly.
4. Kill guy #1 silently and get into the room with guy #2 only to realize there are two other people in that room and get killed almost instantly.
5. etc.

Dying constantly and they almost all feel really cheap.

Def Jukie

so i was about to start playing witcher 2 and noticed i could import a saved file from the first game. should i buy and play the first one before i go on?

Definitely. I'm playing through the first one right now and really like it. Combat is maybe a little basic but the world is really interesting. I would imagine you would get a lot more out of the second having played through the first.

HoosTrax

Ok, you guys realize that you can pan the screen in Hotline Miami right? To see enemies off screen?

I don't remember exactly which key it is, it might be SHIFT.

Caerith

So Hotline: Miami is full of killings. Is it impossible to perform a zero-kill playthrough? I will stick to Mark of the Ninja.
Win condition for every level is to kill everyone. Even if you have a mask that makes some of them non-aggro.

You can hold shift to look around, no reason to die to an off screen enemy except carelessness. And, besides, you reload instantly.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
So Hotline: Miami is full of killings. Is it impossible to perform a zero-kill playthrough? I will stick to Mark of the Ninja.

"Kill that guy silently" in my post just means that you charge a guy using a melee weapon instead of a gun. It's not stealth oriented at all. You have to kill everybody on a floor before you move on to the next one.

You can hold shift to look around, no reason to die to an off screen enemy except carelessness.

Well son of a bitch. Must not have noticed this because I initially ran through the tutorials and such with a gamepad before I switched to kb/m.

Still wouldn't solve all the problems I had with it, I don't think. Still feel like it's "cheap" difficulty.

Ionic

Once I got past the initial levels my playtime with Hotline: Miami is full of a lot of -

1. walk down hallway and get murdered almost instantly by somebody I didn't see.
2. walk down hallway prepared for the guy that got me last time but shooting him drew out 4 other guys that killed me almost instantly.
3. Kill that guy silently but get seen by somebody else through a window I didn't realize was there and get killed almost instantly.
4. Kill guy #1 silently and get into the room with guy #2 only to realize there are two other people in that room and get killed almost instantly.

etc.

Interestingly, I find players who are new to Dark Souls and are having a hard time enjoying it post reasons similar to this, especially the "getting killed almost instantly" stuff. Then a few hours later once they know how the game works, they laugh at their initial complaints.

Going through Hotline Miami again, I knew better how to use the tactical advantage of being able to see enemies through walls, or know to create noise to lure a couple guys out of a room, to my advantage. And subsequently, that long list of "die instantly by things that totally aren't my fault" stuff disappears. Try not to give up on the game for the same reason people give up on Dark Souls.

NG28

Latest Hotline Miami patch broke the game for me :( Every time I start it up I get an error. Verified cache and re-installed but it still won't work. I only had about 2 levels to go as well.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Does the fact that I find myself somewhat interested in Euro Truck Simulator 2 make me a bad person? I saw a gameplay video of it a while back and found it strangely fascinating.

Got to the enemy flagship. Then I realize it has like 4 weapons on it. WTF? I did some major damage to the flagship, but my ship was destroyed. Ugh. How are you supposed to beat it?
Stealth is so OP. My weapons don't even charge while they are stealth.

bobeth

Does the fact that I find myself somewhat interested in Euro Truck Simulator 2 make me a bad person? I saw a gameplay video of it a while back and found it strangely fascinating.
It makes you a badass, of course (but only if you have a wheel, preferably with a clutch and shifter)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Got to the enemy flagship. Then I realize it has like 4 weapons on it. WTF? I did some major damage to the flagship, but my ship was destroyed. Ugh. How are you supposed to beat it?

*page full of conversation about Hotline Miami and then this*

Uh... what the heck are you talking about?

Caerith

High level engines, shields, capped skill engineer and pilot, defense drone 2, maxed stealth, mantis/rockman anti-boarding party, and about 50 Pegasus missiles. Save stealth for when they launch big attacks ("energy surge"). Smart bombs are fantastic for taking out the individual weapons: no doors means no way to escape the fire.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It makes you a badass, of course (but only if you have a wheel, preferably with a clutch and shifter)

I do, but if only it was a wheel like an actual big rig. Now that would be awesome. I'd even use it for stuff like GT and F1 racers. =D

Dingotech

Sorry but LOL!

The game is brutal and expects you to kill everybody in horrible ways, no ways around it.

And to people complaining that you get killed a lot in Hotline it's kinda the point, you need to learn from your deaths and then finally plan your way through the level, it's part of what makes the game fun.

Once you learn the levels you can go back and beat them in fun ways, like wearing the mask that gives you a drill and trying to drill all the bad guys in a level. Dang it makes it hard!

JohnDonut

Banned
And to people complaining that you get killed a lot in Hotline it's kinda the point, you need to learn from your deaths and then finally plan your way through the level, it's part of what makes the game fun.
I'm more interested in the setting and design rather than the gameplay. I want to like it, but the only way I'd enjoy it if I trivialize the thing you enjoy.

Mrbob

I'm really trying to wrap my head around posts like this.

"OMG, SOMETHING I HAVE NO INTEREST IN IS POPULAR! UNPOSSIBLE!"

I'm not sure why this is so confusing to some people.

You have the wrong idea. Wasn't even my intention for a point. Trying to find out if the game is actually good and perhaps shocked if the game is actually good.

Jawmuncher

So what's the next sale Steam usually does summer or spring?
I want to grab blades of time (don't judge me) but oddly I am finding the console versions cheaper than the PC.

Dingotech

I'm more interested in the setting and design rather than the gameplay. I want to like it, but the only way I'd enjoy it if I trivialize the thing you enjoy.

If you didn't get smashed a lot and die all the time making you plan/learn the levels then you would finish the game in about 30 minutes and never want to touch it again. :p

Some people are bad at games and can't admit it to themselves.

Hotline Miami is a flawless gem.

I finished it, didn't really like it. Probably because I didn't get into the story at all and hence was just going through the motions and fighting the controls and collision detection the whole time.

I can see the appeal, heck I enjoy trial and error games like Boshy, but I wouldn't call it flawless at all.

I will be interested to see if they expand on the game with a more interesting and polished sequel.

Doomrider

Latest Hotline Miami patch broke the game for me :( Every time I start it up I get an error. Verified cache and re-installed but it still won't work. I only had about 2 levels to go as well.

This happened to me as well. Then it worked but no sound. Then it worked. I dunno, I've seen better patches. Try restarting Steam. That's about the only thing I did (I tried some workaround I found online for the error, but it didn't work anyway).

Well son of a bitch. Must not have noticed this because I initially ran through the tutorials and such with a gamepad before I switched to kb/m.

Still wouldn't solve all the problems I had with it, I don't think. Still feel like it's "cheap" difficulty.

Speaking of which, I only found out the game had a lock-on system after beating it once. Oh well. Using guns was kinda hard.

I finished it, didn't really like it. Probably because I didn't get into the story at all and hence was just going through the motions and fighting the controls and collision detection the whole time.

I liked the story, actually. I love the way the game messes with your head, it was really cool the first time.

Dingotech

I do that with games ANYWAYS :\

Yes but I would hope it lasted more than 30 minutes! :p

EDIT - Oh and as mentioned if you aren't using the SHIFT look, and the middle-mouse lock-on you're making the game harder for yourself! Give it a play using those functions and you might find it much more bearable.

Nabs

Shift-look is a big deal. Lock on with mkb, not so much. I beat the game without it and I feel like a better person because of it.

Doomrider

If you aren't playing Hotline Miami with lethal doors you're doing it wrong.

Yeah..... I never used lethal doors. Gotta try that. [EDIT: Wait, no, I lie. I tried it once, I think. Never made a playstyle around it, though.]

And lock-on makes using machine guns fun. I like it.

teleport and destroy the guns, once they are down its a pretty easy fight

HoosTrax

My two favorites are:

Don Juan (horse) - lethal doors
Peter (unicorn) - silencer

Don Juan kills don't alert enemies in the same room as long as I don't go barging through the door when you do it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Are you using a calculator?

If so, use the Enhanced Steam chrome addon, it's much more accurate because it tallies the totals from your account.

tried that and it says Total Spent: $363.89

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom