• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTKT

Mini prize give-away: Sleeping Dogs - (5 Copies to give away)

DayZ made me realize that games can be much more and that we have barely scratched the surface on how games can create situations where players are at the center of everything. The game itself is almost secondary because the depth comes from how the players are interacting and dealing with each other. It provides the minimum

The idea of a persistent world where exploration is actually interesting is also a huge draw to me. I can't wait to see how that genre can evolve. Imagine an entire continent with huge city and hundreds of players...

Bring it on!

As for the new tech, I'm really interested in the Rift and how games are going to use it.

Interesting! :) I'll have to think something creative to give away some of the Steam keys and stuff I have around.

Here we go:

1. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. Having no console, the miracle that it came to PC in 2012 caused me to even chase a retail copy and buy it day one. Nearly 155 hours poured into this game, jeez! I even 100/100 the thing. Bless Durante for the fixes too!
2. Strike Suit Zero. Comes out this week, and hopefully it IS Space Mot$·%$%ng Combat Reborn!

Edit: Just quote the first line, not the whole damn thing.

I already own the game, just wanted to say it's an awesome giveaway from you.

1.) Dark Souls. No contest. I will probably expand on this further with a LTTP when I complete the game

2.) Oculus Rift. It's the future of gaming.

ONE OF US ONE OF US
I only just noticed how deep my Steam backlog goes. Too deep.

Not sure why you haven't played sleep dawgz yet, Gaf has posted thousands of gifs of the game.

Here's one to tip you over the edge:
I was sold way back when I saw that gif of impaling someone into the environment. I think I was just swamped with stuff when I actually bought it and put it in the back of my mind.

I think it'll be the next thing I play.

...After I watch SCR.

mash440

Neo Member
How to enter:

My favourite game from 2012 has to be Spec Ops the Line. It was one of the few games to make me think about games as a medium, and how they differ from books, films etc. It took what generally makes a video game popular, and flips it on it's head as a morbid parody of the Call of Duty mentality towards game design. Never has a game made me feel so guilty. It's also the only game that resulted me in reading an entire book devoted to it's story, themes and characters.

In 2013, I'm looking forward to seeing how GreenLight matures. Now that it's novelty factor has worn off, I reckon we will start seeing some really good, well designed, and non Minecraft-like games coming to the forefront.

Oh cool, a giveaway!

1. Tribes: Ascend - I'd like to say Dota 2, but it's not released yet, so this will be it. One of the most exhilarating, fast paced games I've played. I've stopped playing it, but the time I had with it was a blast. Capping flags as pathfinder, getting ridiculous airshots with the spinfusor, and bombarding the enemy flagstand with mortars was so satisfying. For a free-to-play game, the production values were high and quality was quite consistent. I'd like to get back into it.

2. Dota 2 (If it actually releases lol): It might be cheating since I'm in the beta, but the 100 or so hours I've played have convinced me to stick with it and look forward to its release. The game is very fair; there is always a reason you failed and a way to improve. Highly nuanced and skill-based, I'm excited to play and learn more about the game's mechanics.

FuKuy

1. My favorite PC game of 2012 is Dishonored.
The art style is gorgeous, the story is pretty good enough, and you even have different choices and consequences, and the gameplay is superb. A good mixed action-exploration and stealth.

2. In 2013 I'm really looking forward to what all 2012 videogame kickstarter projects are going to be. Maybe not the small ones, but I'm worried and anxious at same time to see if Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns can bring back good old RPG times.

* Thanks for this opportunity. Good luck to all!

AlexBasch

Good luck to the contestants, I have been enjoying Sleeping Dogs greatly thanks to Hiryu and it's one of the best games this year and a lot better tan Saint's Row 3, which is a good game on it's own. :D

batteryLeakage

Neo Member

I had two favorite PC games of 2012. One was Hotline Miami. The game oozed style and the gameplay was fast and tight.

I liked the take it had on game violence. It makes you think a bit. We don't really need motivations to kill and implement harm in games, even though we know what that onscreen violence represents. Even as a 2d pixel art game, it had some of the most gruesome imagery I have seen. Some scenes were almost stomach turning. But I reveled in it like it was some sick game.

The other favorite was Ys: The Oath in Felghana. The majority of games I have been playing in recent years have been on PC, so it was refreshing to play a Japanese game with an old-school aesthetic again. The games was fun and the mechanics solid. But it was the vibe of the game that really struck me. It has a ton of charm. It doesn't need elaborate cutscenes and Hollywood voice actors, just charming artwork and amazing music.
More XSeed please.

What I am looking forward to in 2013 is seeing and hopefully playing with some of the innovations being cooked up in the PC space. I know you said no Steambox, but I want to see what Valve does to break down the barriers between desktop and living room. I want to see what these biometric controllers bring to games. I am intrigued by the claims of immersion with the Occulus Rift. Unlike many of the recent trends in big media (3d, motion, etc.) these seem like they could enhance the current experience rather than simply being divergent and providing novelty.

Jawmuncher

My favorite PC game from 2012 was by far Binary Domain. While I know it's considered a "bad" port I had no issues with it. Plus it might not be a PC exclusive, but it really showed me as a only console game what PC gaming can offer to me. The Locked 60FPS, AA, better textures, and more really showed me what I had been missing out on with consoles. Binary Domain along with my new PC really gave me the kick I needed to take PC gaming seriously. As for the game it's self, its a great Third Person Cover shooter that actually brings a interesting story to the table. Not to mention robot combat consisting of blowing certain limbs off is always a treat especially with realistic interactions.

For 2013 I'm really looking forward to the Witcher 3 unveiling. Since its going to be setting a new benchmark for PC gaming just like Witcher 2. It'll be interesting to see just how much of a step up it'll be and how ill get my PC to cope.

I was going to do this at the start of this thread... but yeah.

j818nSDkqWqEi.png
mesagonnasource50u22.jpg

1. Favorite game: Black Mesa source. Just goes to show how much solid level and set piece design can carry a game, even ones that don't feature innovative play mechanics. It's amazing that as a single player experience is better than most solo campaings of recent shooters.

2. Really curious about the potential controls, input methods and interfaces that will emerge with the new wave of consoles. Also expecting Occulus to cause some waves around and see if companies with more resources are inspired to persue the VR dream once and for all.

Thanks for the generosity Mrorange, it hurts that i missed the 90+% deal that day on Steam XD

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I was going to do this at the start of this thread... but yeah.

j818nSDkqWqEi.png

How to enter:

1. Talk about your favourite pc game from 2012
2. Talk about the game or PC technology you are most look forward to in 2013
please don't say Steambox

Lets say a minimum of a 100 words so we don't spam the thread. Competition closes in 18 hours from this post, winners will be chosen after that.

Good luck!

1. I'm gonna say Dota 2, since I wasn't allowed to vote for this in GAF's GOTY. I was insanely intimidated by this game before I tried it, but finally I did it and I'm glad I did. The game itself is quite fun, and there's so many heroes who play so differently that it's always something new. I'm looking forward to what else they add in the future.
2. For something different, I'll say Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs. I really enjoyed the first Amnesia and I hope this one turns out as well as it looks right now.

Sleeping Dogs is amazing. Probably my favourite game of the year that I've played. I'm currently going through Nightmare at North Point dlc. So far so good.

masterkajo

My favorite PC game of 2012 is Telltale's The Walking Dead. I know it lacks gameplay in the usual sense but it more than makes up for it with its story, characters and dialogues. It succeeded so much so that I cried at the very end - and am proud to admit it! I loved some characters and hated others but more than anything I wanted to get Clem out of this mess savely. Never have I felt so much for a virtual person. For that I congratulate Telltale Games and really look forward to the second season.

For 2013, I am looking forward to the dev kit of Oculus Rift. I followed it since I first heard about it on Kickstarter. The reason being when I was little my father and I went to Ars Electronica in Linz (Austria) where I first experienced VR. The grahics where almost non existent back then but it was a wonderful feeling to experience something unique. My father never cares much for video games, though he was really excited when I told him about Oculus Rift. We both are thinking about ordering a developement kit so that we can finally experience true VR. Maybe I can get him to start gaming after all :p

Deques

1. Favourite game would be Torchlight 2. It was delayed several times. But the wait was worth it. I haven't played much compared to those hardcore player. The 47 gameplay hours of my life was well spent.

2. Ouya. I don't really look forward to this console. But I want to see what it is capable of. It could be an interesting console machine

diggler41

Sleeping Dogs is amazing. Probably my favourite game of the year that I've played. I'm currently going through Nightmare at North Point dlc. So far so good.

^This! I am playing it right now and it's weirdly good. Nothing great but alot of good. The combat is very satisfying. Soundtrack is pretty decent(Dream Theater and Opeth!). Plus Wei Shin is a total BOSS.

dot

My favorite pc game from 2012 would have to be Guild Wars 2. This game totally blew me away. It's pretty different from other mmos (no trinity system, dynamic events, etc.) and i think that is one of its strengths. It's also awesome how the game has been updated every month so far to keep players active (Mad King, Fractals, Lost Shores, Wintersday). I know it's got me hooked. There's also the fact that i wouldn't be as close to my friend if it weren't for this game (as nerdy as it sounds). She's amazing. Bonding over a game like this? Yup. Anyways, I've clocked about 1151+ hours in the game over a span of 4 months. c:

In 2013... i guess i'm looking forward to Metal Gear Rising. Looks really fun and after playing DmC i'm craving action games again.

Thanks for the chance! I missed that steam deal when it was 91% off for like 30 minutes, so i really i want the game! lol

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member

1. Although my overall game of the year was Journey, my favorite PC game of the year was definitely Dishonored. It was the closest we have gotten to a Deus Ex/Thief style game, and Thief 4 will hopefully take a lot of inspiration from it, and polish it even further.

2. I'm definitely most excited to try the Occulus Rift. Even to the point that I am debating picking up a developer kit just to get in on the action 9 months early. I think it has a the potential to be VR's big breakout hit, and although I dont think it will have major mass market appeal, I think it will do strong sales in the PC gaming market. Steam Box will be interesting to see as well, if it is out in 2013.

BadAss2961

1) My favorite PC game from 2012 is Max Payne 3. A visually spectacular third-person shooter with unmatched gunplay and surprisingly great performance & optimization on PC. Max is back and better than ever at least as far as gameplay is concerned. Europhia physics are also out of this world in this one...

maximumarmour4erpm.gif

Combine all that with an impressively presented cinematic story and one of the generation's best soundtracks, then you have my vote for 2012's best game.

2) In a way, my most anticipated game of this year might also be my least anticipated to actually experience in Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs. I both loved and dreaded the original for how intense it was. Never has a game unsettled me to the point that my hand would at times shake on the mouse and affect my movement. Such an odd feeling. But its incredible use of sound, the mood that it set, and the atmosphere it displayed was very impressive and almost made it impossible to quit pressing on.

A Machine For Pigs looks to follow the same path with an interesting new setting and maybe a bit of a bigger budget. So i'm looking forward to it.

1. My favorite PC game from 2012 would have to be XCOM: Enemy Unknown. As someone who's been waiting for a modern TBS that accentuates the strengths of PC gaming, I was surprised by the amount of care and depth that went into this title. Firaxis was able to use their talent and bring awareness to a franchise that's been silent for more than a decade. Although I only have 20 hours logged on this game, the whole time was a blast for me as I kept discovering new threats, upgrades, areas and tactics. Mechanics such as permanent deaths, various terrain and limited depths of fields has continually kept me on my toes. And with Firaxis updating the game with new hardcore modes of play has ensured that I will keep playing this title for much longer.

xcompcdemo610.jpg

2. The game I'm most hyped for in 2013 would have to be Day Z standalone. I would love to see how well the developers have handled changing everything about the mod; including the item system, engine and servers.

Glix

My fav PC game from 2012 was X-Com. They did such an amazing job keeping it cool with the old game, while at the same time making a modern game that looks great and plays great. I played it though on normal and can't wait to give it another go.

The tech I am looking forward to most in 2013 is Occulus Rift. I currently can't afford one, and I'm not sure if I could dig it (I like being somewhat social while I game), but I think the potential of the device is huge, and look forward to being immersed at some point.

FULL DISCLOSURE - I already own Sleepy Dogs, but would love a copy for one of my two very broke pals who deserve one.

kennah

1. This might be controversial but my favourite PC game of 2012 was Diablo III. Sure the base game itself isn't perfect, but I haven't bought a game during launch week for at least 5 years and I had a lot of fun in multiplayer with the fairly thriving GAF community. It kept me from letting the flaws of the game stop me from playing and I made some pretty decent friendships through it that I wouldn't have had otherwise..

2. I only recently looked into what the Occulus Rift is and it has peaked my interest. Might pick up a production model once they have everything worked out. Though the other thing that has me excited is potentially spending some of the income tax return on a Haswell upgrade (from a Q6600) and having my first current gen computer since the 2.4ghz Pentium 4 in 2003.

My favorite PC game of 2012 is Guild Wars 2. Before GW2, I was hopping from MMO to MMO, looking for something to hook me and keep me interested. GW2 is vastly superior to any MMORPG I've played. I love it's fresh new take on questing, classes, battle mechanics and world events. And it's gorgeous, to boot. Also, if it weren't for this game, I wouldn't have grown so close to one of my best friends here from GAF. He's a really great guy and helped break me out of that "Solo everything and don't talk to anyone" mindset. I've also had a great experience with my guild - I feel like they're family.

For 2013, I'm extremely excited for Lightning Returns. I have faith that this one will improve vastly upon the previous two. Lightning is one of my favorite video game characters, and I'm all for her taking back the spotlight and being a total badass once again.

2c737a11af487bc26a198095ad631323_thumb_zpsf4813930.jpg

Thanks for the opportunity, Mr. Orange!

Oare

Above the sky, somewhere in the universe
With a crew and a ship, emptiness and stars so bright
Trying to get away from a fleet adverse,
My favourite last year was Faster than Light.

2013, Year of the tablet ?
Still, to buttons I might remain loyal
Shall Nvidia's Shield - the ugliest of all !
Prove more than promises unkept.

(Sorry for the awkward versification.)
Another thing I'm really looking forward to in 2013 is the upcoming PC version of Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (because I loved Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, and because of Gilius Thunderhead).

I didn't buy too many new games, because I usually can't justify buying any more expensive newer titles when I have plenty of. . .legacy titles to play. Out of the ones I did pick up, I'd have to tap Hotline Miami as my pick for favorite. I'd heard the hype and thought it looked okay from the previews, but the screen shots really didn't do anything for me. I picked it up for $2.50 on amazon on a whim and loved it. It grabbed me by the balls with its style, brutality and its tight controls. I know I didn't coin this term, but I do see it as the "Super Meat Boy of Murder". It is also a reminder that sometimes the most fun experiences come from the most unlikely places. since then, I have been personally responsible for at least 3 of my friends buying it (which is a lot considering my small friends list).

As far as PC tech goes, I'd have to say that I am most interested to watch the PC market as a whole. The PC gaming fanbase is the strongest it has been in the last several years. It will be interesting to watch this next round of console hardware be released and see how the PC market reacts. On a personal note, I am hoping for the 7xx series Nvidia cards (and I hope they are awesome) so I can ditch this ATi card (5970) and never look back (I hate amd drivers).

Derrick01

Banned
Just some quick notes while playing Euro Truck 2

-Zurich needs to be renamed to Stutter City. Game is unoptimized like crazy, cities are basically 2-3 street long rectangles with a bunch of buildings that serve as static backgrounds yet the game's stability plummets when you get anywhere near them.

-Much like real life I got a speeding ticket because I was too busy jamming out to Metallica on the radio to pay attention to trivial matters like speed limits. I found a pretty cool rock station that I think is in the netherlands (listed as NL) that plays pretty much nothing but American/British rock of all eras.

-Also much like real life 1 asshole on the road can really screw everything up on the highway.

-The 10 year old in me snickers every time I go by a sign that says Ausfahrt.

-Can I get a truck that goes over 55mph? Even when I'm going downhill and set the cruise control to 60 it still ends up slowing down to 55.

-Speaking of cruise control my fingers thank the devs for including it so I don't have to hold the triggers down all of the time.

I knew Homefront was short, but... 3.3 hrs? holy crap.

Yeah I remember I did about 30-40% of the entire game with a single 1 hour PS+ trial.

I enjoyed getting Castle Crashers on Steam this year, I do't have an Xbox and wasn't getting one just for it, but since the game now runs fine on my Mac, I have been having a blast with my friends. It could've been a bit cheaper, but still a nice game

I am looking forward to seeing Unreal Engine 4 on PC this year, I am sure it will look fantastic and hope some devs put it to good use.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope Sega is wise enough to put the Sonic franchise, or at least the original Sonic and Sega Racing, on sale before the release of Transformed. (I missed the latter when it was a Daily last year. :()

1) Favorite PC game in 2012 has to be Torchlight 2. I still have a lot to learn with these types of games but I enjoy the hell out of them. You can never have enough loot in your life!

2) Even though I don't have a 3DS, I'm looking forward to Etrian Odyssey 4. I've played the other 3 and the gameplay is fantastic. The first 3DS EO game? Count me in!

wilflare

just thought I'll drop in and say how much I like how the Steam Client seems to be getting better and better (the option to now choose where to install your games from the start is sweet)

Sarcasm

1) I have to say that my favorite game of 2012 would have to be honestly Walking Dead. Typically games of this genre do not hold my attention. I only got it cause I loved the comic and watched the TV series. That probably has something to do with it but I also think how the game does things is well made. I enjoyed the stories and my mistakes/horrible choices.

2) Path of Exile open beta - which is soon! I love to play these type of games especially with really fun people. I didn't get too much in D3 but I wouldn't say its a bad game. I loved Torchlight 2. I have the closed beta for PoE - I put some money down on it. Open beta brings a lot of content. Going to be a busy week this week for me.

Tizoc

I hope Sega is wise enough to put the Sonic franchise, or at least the original Sonic and Sega Racing, on sale before the release of Transformed. (I missed the latter when it was a Daily last year. :()

Just an FYI, the first Sonic Racing game does not have online multiplayer.
Did you pre-order Transformed yet JaseC?

kurahador

1. The Walking Dead. I'm still baffled on how Telltale managed to make a game this great given their track records (I mean seriously...HOW???). This game pretty much nailed the characterization, scenario & story of the TWD universe upon which the strength of an adventure genre relied on. Never before a game managed to make me depressed days after finishing it.

2. I'm excited to see how open world game will evolve next gen---Kojima's new MGS, Ubisoft's Watch Dog, Square Enix's FF-Versus/Just Cause 3, CD Projekt's Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077 to name a few sure got me excited. How much detailed can they put in? Will it be possible for a sandbox game where you can enter almost every building be made? How less linearity/variety will be present until it'll all become just another tedious mini-game?

Sober

Speaking of dealing with backlogs, I think I just screwed myself by restarting GTA4 (last time I was playing it was over a year ago) and the first thing I do after getting out of the starting mission was to just stroll around town. Not hold down A and jog at a light pace or jack a nearby car and cruise around - just walk. I also took the subway, long before the game tells you it exists as a thing you can do.

I also have Dark Souls and Shogun 2 to just be super time sinks and keep my backlog from going anywhere apparently.

1. Talk about your favourite pc game from 2012
2. Talk about the game or PC technology you are most look forward to in 2013
please don't say Steambox

1. FTL: It's a perfect game in so many way. Short and long at the same time, easy to learn but horribly hard to master and it touches so many scifitropes it makes my heart melt. Take the tactics from Battlestar Galactica, the exploration from Star Trek and the all around sillyness from Red Dwarf and you get close to what this game feels like. Just don't allow the bugs to teleport onto your ship...*zap*...fuuuuuuuu bugs, buuuuuuuuugs!!!!!

2. Starbound - I loved Terraria even if I didn't want to. Was way into Minecraft and tbh it looked like a copycat in 2D. Oh boy was I wrong, such a gem and the more game-like focus made it a whole different game then Minecraft. More of the same but in space, sign me right up! The preview art is gorgeous too.

Just some quick notes while playing Euro Truck 2

-Zurich needs to be renamed to Stutter City. Game is unoptimized like crazy, cities are basically 2-3 street long rectangles with a bunch of buildings that serve as static backgrounds yet the game's stability plummets when you get anywhere near them.

Come on, even our smallest cities are bigger than that :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom