• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

NeoGAF GOTY Awards are quite interesting this year with TWD in at 2nd place and XCOM coming in at 3rd. Both titles having roots in PC centric gaming.

Isn't the Developers for journey going multiplatform?

Sleepy Dawgz at 4th but won action game of the year, so yay!

MRORANGE

Thanks.

What was the best meal you guys had for around $15?

Smoked Duck Pizza:

5262377936_ea1a55f62a_z.jpg

what's an ossobucco
A type of meat, very common here due to our italian heritage. It usually comes with huge bones with a hole and that's where the name comes from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossobuco

$15 might get you a big pizza or a couple of those Maruchan noodles things here but not much else unless vegetables are in offer/cheap.

And stop it, guys, I just finished a coffee that drilled my stomach and all the food talk is making me want to pick lunch right now.

Maybe it's time for everyone to go get Dinner Date. :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
$15 can't get you a good meal in Switzerland so I spend everything on games

Competition + poor economy means bitchin' lunch specials in a lot of places that are normally pretty fucking expensive. Booze pricing is not effected though. I pair my 13$ lunch special with a 12$ martini.

Competition + poor economy means bitchin' lunch specials in a lot of places that are normally pretty fucking expensive. Booze pricing is not effected though. I pair my 13$ lunch special with a 12$ martini.

Yeah, I thought as much. That meal you mentioned earlier (incl. appetizers) would cost you at least three times the amount here. Meat is hella expensive in Swiss restaurants. I think I'd only qualify Pizza as cheap.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That looks like a giant mishmash of texture data, in which case it's most certainly your GPU acting up. Run a stress test such as Furmark for ~10 minutes and see if it also exhibits artefacts.

Edit: Lucius is 70% off ($7.50) for another 18 hours over at GG. While not Steam-redeemable, it is DRM-free.
No issues in Furmark, but it only used ~18% of memory (I assume vram?).

Tomodachi

Just finished The Missing Link too. Kinda underwhelmed, I expected something different (don't want to spoil anything though, although there really is little to spoil). I never asked for this (wink wink etc).

First of all, I'm glad they managed to fix the bosses issue with the game. I tried the hard mode this time since HR was so damn easy at normal, and even went for the "no praxis kits, no weapons, no explosives" route and got me a shiny achievement. Even like this the game is too easy but better than the main game in that regard and way more rewarding because you're forced to take the hardest routes and can't skip problems thanks to augmentation. As interesting as the skill tree is in the first game, I had the paradoxical feeling after playing The Missing Link that it somehow ruined it by letting you do too many things. I hope there's room for improvement in the eventual sequel, although I feel that stealth games are kinda hard to pull off when you want to reconcile them with an alternative brute force approach and all the while keeping it simple and fun for casual gamers (otherwise stealth games really tend to get frustrating and trial and error, something I don't mind actually but it's 2013 and you gotta keep those games enjoyable for everyone).

Oh and yeah, the writing is even worse than the original imho.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm really, REALLY excited about The Cave!

Ditto, but I just hope it isn't too short. Although it's designed to be played through multiple times so you get to experience each of the characters and their respective abilities, if the game lasts for anything less than a few hours I'll probably find myself disappointed.

You know you spend too much time in the Steam thread when... #5128: You hit "Submit reply" thinking it's "Submit new thread". :p

dreamfall

Ditto, but I just hope it isn't too short. Although it's designed to be played through multiple times so you get to experience each of the characters and their respective abilities, if the game lasts for anything less than a few hours I'll probably find myself disappointed.

I hope it isn't short either! Free roaming, and mixing up character combinations will be awesome- hopefully, new puzzle playthroughs and chances to experience a different story. I think with less emphasis on anything inventory related, the more exciting the adventure genre could become.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
fun fact: I have the Steam thread page open every single time my browser starts and to refresh every 10 seconds.

I'm not that hardcore; I have Gaming and Off-Topic bookmarked as well as a Tumblr search with the Saoirse Ronan tag, but that's it.

I kinda want The Cave to be ~3 hours long.

3ish hours I'd be okay with. Really, I just want the game to last longer than the time taken to download it. ;)

I hope it isn't short either! Free roaming, and mixing up character combinations will be awesome- hopefully, new puzzle playthroughs and chances to experience a different story. I think with less emphasis on anything inventory related, the more exciting the adventure genre could become.

Which reminds me: the game has a crowbar. I wonder... :p

Edit: Today's Daily is 50% off Air Buccaneers ($7.49).

baconcow

I kinda want The Cave to be ~3 hours long.

It won't be 3 hours, even the fastest run ever. The developer said he has played it a hundred times and cannot beat 4 hours and he knows all of the ways to win each puzzle efficiently. He said that he believes an expert player could get 4.5 hours on their first play, minimum. He said most people would get much more than this (and I believe he said something along the lines of 8+ hours, I am trying to find the video).

Tizoc

I kinda want Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed:

HSAiYrw.jpg

Seems like GOTY material.

It is GotY material, many have praised it for being better than the recent Mario Kart games, but IMO, it's a fun and exciting arcade racing game.
Also has the best soundtrack ever~

MRORANGE

It is GotY material, many have praised it for being better than the recent Mario Kart games, but IMO, it's a fun and exciting arcade racing game.
Also has the best soundtrack ever~

Best bonus characters ever! Football Manager FTW!
j/k :)

Good that this version has online PC play too... may bite!

I might actually pick this up during the summer sale, it seems wacky enough to be fun for an hour at least.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I might actually pick this up during the summer sale, it seems wacky enough to be fun for an hour at least.
Yeah, I passed and went for Omerta because I recently got other racing games, but it definitely looks really cool.

MRORANGE

Mini prize give-away: Sleeping Dogs - (5 Copies to give away)

I was going to do this at the start of this thread... but yeah.

j818nSDkqWqEi.png

How to enter:

1. Talk about your favourite pc game from 2012
2. Talk about the game or PC technology you are most look forward to in 2013
please don't say Steambox

Lets say a minimum of a 100 words so we don't spam the thread. Competition closes in 18 hours from this post, winners will be chosen after that.

Good luck!

Edit: Just quote the first line, not the whole damn thing.

Steam down for anyone else? I just lost connection to the Steam community. Exit the client and tried logging in again and I got the message that my Steam account has never connected from my PC and that there's some trouble connecting to the servers. WTF?

The_Monk

Steam down for anyone else? I just lost connection to the Steam community. Exit the client and tried logging in again and I got the message that my Steam account has never connected from my PC and that there's some trouble connecting to the servers. WTF?

It says no connection in here but I can see the Store and Dowload games. Strange?

EDIT: It's back for me.

dreamfall

Such an awesome contest for such a good game- cheers! If I hadn't spent 40-ish hours with Wei, I'd be all over that. GAF is seriously the best!

In other news, I seem to keep buying games on GMG before they launch. Some of those 25%+Credit off options are sale worthy. Picked up Omerta for $25, and went with DmC for $30 (which still seems a little high). I haven't ever pre-ordered with GMG- are they good with their key delivery?

Chony

I was going to do this at the start of this thread... but yeah.

j818nSDkqWqEi.png

How to enter:

1. Talk about your favourite pc game from 2012
2. Talk about the game or PC technology you are most look forward to in 2013
please don't say Steambox

Lets say a minimum of a 100 words so we don't spam the thread. Competition closes in 18 hours from this post, winners will be chosen after that.

Good luck!

1. My favorite PC game from 2012: Torchlight 2. I skipped out on Diablo 3, so I needed an arpg fix. I still haven't got my first legendary :/ I have put too many hours into it. I don't have that much time for games, but I'd like to find something to really push my system (and have fun)

2. I just built my PC in the last year, so the only thing I may look into in the next year is a new monitor (I'm using a TV I bought 4 years ago). I got a 2500K so I'll probably look into overclocking at some point.

Teknoman

Such an awesome contest for such a good game- cheers! If I hadn't spent 40-ish hours with Wei, I'd be all over that. GAF is seriously the best!

In other news, I seem to keep buying games on GMG before they launch. Some of those 25%+Credit off options are sale worthy. Picked up Omerta for $25, and went with DmC for $30 (which still seems a little high). I haven't ever pre-ordered with GMG- are they good with their key delivery?

Sometimes they are. I remember people having Sleeping Dogs issues though.

The_Monk

Thank you for doing this.

1- I was thinking about this earlier and to me it has to be XCOM Enemy Unknown . In fact this was my SOTY (Surprise of the year) the type of game is not one that got many similar releases in 2012 and this was released on 3 platforms. I got a real sense of Fear because of the panic levels, I get attached to my soldiers a bit, I fear when Aliens are killing defenseless civilians and I love when I come back from a well done mission. I can spend my time reasearching and getting ready for the next mission and all of that just make a complete game in more ways than just a strategy game.

2- I'm really curious about new Graphics Cards coming once the Next-Gen hits the consoles. When we start to see those next-gen games I can't imagine how powerfull it can get on a new 2013 PC. Hype!

3- Sorry for the not so good english. I got hyped for this game thanks to fellow GAFfer Corto who has been playing a lot it lately. :p

Thanks for doing a small game where everyone can talk about its favourite Game of 2012.

Favourite Game from 2012 is :
Walking Dead The Game
Never played a game that was more interesting because of its story and character then its gameplay. I mean it did everything right. Not presenting an annoying child, "sexy" females and presenting stereotypes. It was overall well done and is way better as where the comic were a few months ago (now they are equal).

Game i look most forward too:
Soul Reaver Remake(if it comes 2013)/Bioshock Infinity
To Soul Reaver : It was my second favourite PSX game (first is SOTN) and i would like too see a Soul Reaver with HD graphics and its unique and disgusting(in a good way) world.

Bioshock Infinity :
I expect another clever Gamedesign/Story Masterpiece. If its not then im really really dissapointed.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Here's one to tip you over the edge:
Then you try to powerslide and it forcefully turns you the other way.

But yeah... I need to play The Walking Dead & Alan Wake's American Nightmare, then also more of Hotline Miami, Dead Island, and SSF4 AE, all of which were gifted to me by gaffers. Then lesser priority is Cave Story+, Dwarfs, Shank 2, Legend of Grimrock, THQ Humble Bundle (only played SR3), and Star Wolves 3, which I won on Steamgifts public giveaways. Then there are the 12 games I bought myself... and leftover backlog from the last 2 years... and yet the past week I've been playing LOTRO which is a F2P...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom