• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baha

Is Lost Planet 2 worth $8? Is it a good PC port? I'm assuming it has controller support and I know it uses GFWL.

Moobabe

Been sitting on these a while - some Paradox keys

Sword of the Stars Complete
:

Crusader Kings Complete:

Europa Universalis 3 Complete -

King Arthur -

Quote to reveal - say you've taken them etc

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I expect Capcom to be horrible with RE6 sales-pricing and Based Amazon Tony to only be able to manage so much so I raised my breaking point a bit higher than usual. I don't want to fail the Capcom test, but there is no way I am paying 40-60$ for a port that late and I realized on my 3rd run of RE5 that I fucking hate the last half of the game.

I'll probably break at $30 just for Mercenaries mode, Capcom has done some very questionable things with the last two RE campaigns but I do love the combat mechanics. Capcom games being sold on GMG now gives me some hope for that happening sooner rather than later. I don't mind waiting though, the console version was easy enough to avoid.

HoosTrax

Shouldn't they take Company of Heroes 2 off of preorders? On the off chance that EA ends up getting that IP, that would be a load of refunds that need to be processed.

On the other hand, those TF2 hats could end up becoming incredibly lucrative, assuming you get them immediately.

Tizoc

Been sitting on these a while - some Paradox keys

Sword of the Stars Complete
:

Crusader Kings Complete:

Europa Universalis 3 Complete -

King Arthur -

Quote to reveal - say you've taken them etc

King Arthur was taken and the code for Europa 3 is incomplete. I didn't take any code BTW.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Some more Christmas purchase feels:

header_292x136.jpg

I didn't mind the original Painkiller that much. It had some decent environment variety and bunnyhopping that felt really good going for it. This remake is pretty weird though. The original game has aged pretty incredibly from the visual perspective and it had a ton of levels. In Hell & Damnation the visual upgrade hardly feels like an upgrade at times. They added a bunch of new material shaders and some improved effects... and that feels like all there is to it. The level selection is cut down by quite a bit. I think the breakdown was roughly 13 levels from the original, 2 from the first expansion, and one new one. A lot of the crazier levels are missing, like the bridge, Venice, and even the final boss (which was incredibly slick in the original game). So as a remake, it feels like a pretty collosal failure. But it's been a while since I played the original and the game moves pretty quickly (roughly 4 hours to complete) so I didn't totally hate it. I do recommend just picking up the original game over it though.

Purchase Price: $5
Final Feels: Disappointment.

header_292x136.jpg

This was my first experience with Scribblenauts. I figured my GF would enjoy the style of game and the art style so we just worked through it together. We really enjoyed like the first 10 or so worlds when summoning stuff was still feeling fresh and the sort of one note puzzle design hadn't become workman like. However, by 60 stars (the final cutscene point) we were pretty worn out on the core gameplay that wasn't really taken any further than the first couple worlds. At that point the game was running on it's charm and occasional laughs and that wasn't enough to carry it. And 100%ing it was just pure work. The art looks incredible on PC though. We were playing it on a 42in plasma and goddamn it looked pretty.

Purchase Price: $7.50
Final Feels: Okay, with a disappointing aftertaste.

header_292x136.jpg

I am a massive whore for Lord of the Rings. I just thought I should make my absurd bias clear before going any further. Anyways, my brother and I loved this game in co-op. The campaign was pretty much the perfect length (~8 hours) and they kept the gameplay feeling fresh by mixing things up from level to level. They did some ridiculously slick things with splitscreen too. I was a little shaky on how Lego games would be with actual voice-acting, but I was pleasantly surprised that in the case of Lord of the Rings it made every gag even funnier. Hopefully they release a Hobbit game too.

Final Feels: Well pleased, would buy sequel.

header_292x136.jpg

This DLC dropped at like the perfect time for me. I was ready for a couple more hours of Rage's incredibly tight gameplay and The Scorchers delivers it in spades. Even the one mission that could have been a cop-out (the new Bash TV episode) had a completely new environment. I didn't have a save backed up so I had to play a portion of the campaign again to gain access to the DLC missions and I spent 6-7 hours so I'd say the DLC is a solid 4 hours of content. And it's not phoned in content either, the art direction, enemies, and added weapon all feel fresh. If you love Rage's gameplay like I do, it's hard not to recommend, especially at the price.

Purchase Price: $5
Final Feels: Well pleased, would buy more DLC.

DenisQc

hi everyone

got a spare Europa Universalis III Chronicles Code by email :)

quote to see the code :)

happy insomnia :)

just say it if you take it :)
edit 2 : gone :)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
header_292x136.jpg

This was my first experience with Scribblenauts. I figured my GF would enjoy the style of game and the art style so we just worked through it together. We really enjoyed like the first 10 or so worlds when summoning stuff was still feeling fresh and the sort of one note puzzle design hadn't become workman like. However, by 60 stars (the final cutscene point) we were pretty worn out on the core gameplay that wasn't really taken any further than the first couple worlds. At that point the game was running on it's charm and occasional laughs and that wasn't enough to carry it. And 100%ing it was just pure work. The art looks incredible on PC though. We were playing it on a 42in plasma and goddamn it looked pretty.

Final Feels: Okay, with a disappointing aftertaste.

Gotta agree here. The game can be very charming, especially early on, but they never elevate the concept beyond what you do in the tutorial.

It's really well done, and the amount of stuff in the game is absurd, but it becomes a job pretty quickly and it becomes a job you hate shortly after that.

HoosTrax

Sorted of related to NWN -- do we know what impact Atari-US filing for bankruptcy / trying to separate themselves from Atari SA is going to have?

1-D_FTW

Gonna have to agree with you guys. I'll probably return to it, but I burned out pretty quickly.

Never played a Scribblenauts before. From what I can tell in the official thread, they significantly scaled back on the scope and made it more simplistic and linear. The one reason I'll return (but not sure how long I'll stay for) is the charm. It does have charm and I think I did laugh a couple of times. So maybe it's a game I'll just periodically return to when the mood strikes.

FloatOn

Scribblenauts Unlimited is a great game to unwind with between big games. I can see how playing for any long length of time would become tiresome. I usually get a starite or two and call it a day.

Ok, got a Europa Universalis III key courtesy of 3chopl0x so, hell, I gotta do a contribution, you people are amazing!

Cubemen1_zps4fa0007c.jpg

I bought the 2-copies version of Cubemen on Steam so I got an extra one for gifting but since my friends don't seem too interested in tower defense/RTS-thingies, maybe someone here will likely want this and, preferably, play it instead of gently adding it to the backlog.

So let's have some fun but make it a useful post too: draw a cube firing lasers and recommend a good Tower Defense for the people (I mean, there have to be good ones like Anomaly Warzone Earth :p). Please keep the resolution small so it doesn't take over the screen.

I'll pick one cube winner in the next 30 mins, or whoever draws something for the win. This will help us waiting for the daily deal announcement on Steam.

Blizzard

Banned
Gotta agree here. The game can be very charming, especially early on, but they never elevate the concept beyond what you do in the tutorial.

It's really well done, and the amount of stuff in the game is absurd, but it becomes a job pretty quickly and it becomes a job you hate shortly after that.
I haven't played Scribblenauts Unlimited all the way through, but in comparison with previous games, I think one big issue was the combination of

1. They added good controls and great graphics and custom user items, but

2. They retained the lack of action/puzzle levels that they had gotten rid of BECAUSE of the original rough DS controls (and also because the game engine changed a bit to get rid of stuff like terrain that can be destroyed).

I'm still glad I got it though, but obviously I'm biased.

Ok, got a Europa Universalis III key courtesy of 3chopl0x so, hell, I gotta do a contribution, you people are amazing!

Cubemen1_zps4fa0007c.jpg

I bought the 2-copies version of Cubemen on Steam so I got an extra one for gifting but since my friends don't seem too interested in tower defense/RTS-thingies, maybe someone here will likely want this and, preferably, play it instead of gently adding it to the backlog.

So let's have some fun but make it a useful post too: draw a cube firing lasers and recommend a good Tower Defense for the people (I mean, there have to be good ones like Anomaly Warzone Earth :p). Please keep the resolution small so it doesn't take over the screen.

I'll pick one cube winner in the next 30 mins, or whoever draws something for the win. This will help us waiting for the daily deal announcement on Steam.

MpvEn1a.png

A good Tower-Defense-Game in my opinion is still Defense Grid. Somehow I really loved the WC3-TD-Maps, but no similar one is on Steam. Defense Grid was one of the first on Steam, but still the best, even though after a while it feels repetitive. I wish they changed the setting though. It was kinda bland.

liezryou

Cubemen1_zps4fa0007c.jpg

I'm not a very good artist but here are some amazing TD games off the top of my head: Dungeon defenders, Orcs must die 1/2, PvZ, Sanctum, Defense Grid, iBomber Defense
[Only if you have war3 or sc2] Elemental TD, Cube defense, etc. (Multitudes on those two games)

EDIT: Also i'm fairly certain the next deal is announced on tuesday not monday.

Caerith

I'll just chime in to say that Defense Grid is is the best overall TD, Orcs Must Die is a fantastic hybrid of TD and physics-based orc slaughter, and Plants vs Zombies is a really well-polished albeit casual TD. Can't go wrong with those three, but you might find PvZ too easy early on.

I'll just chime in to say that Defense Grid is is the best overall TD, Orcs Must Die is a fantastic hybrid of TD and physics-based orc slaughter, and Plants vs Zombies is a really well-polished albeit casual TD. Can't go wrong with those three, but you might find PvZ too easy early on.

I played a bit of Orcs must Die 2 and have to say, it is nearly impossible to play it in Single-Player.
In the 6th or 7th Level you constantly have to take care of 2 lanes, that are too far away to take care of for just one player.

And I bought it under the impression it had Splitscreen-Coop, so I could play with my better half :(

FloatOn

Sanctum is a good choice for people that don't like Orcs Must Die but want to scratch a similar itch. It's really great in 4 player co op.

I think I have a winner!

Chairmanchuck, SteamID please? Cubic gift coming soon.

Good to see recommendations! Some people dismiss the genre rather quickly due to the saturation, but there are some nifty gems to be found. Ouch, reading the post above, I have been warned about Orcs Must Die 2 then.

Oh, I meant the daily, not the Steam mid-week. sometimes the dailies can be neat surprises too... right?

Caerith

I played a bit of Orcs must Die 2 and have to say, it is nearly impossible to play it in Single-Player.
In the 6th or 7th Level you constantly have to take care of 2 lanes, that are too far away to take care of for just one player.

And I bought it under the impression it had Splitscreen-Coop, so I could play with my better half :(
I beat it entirely solo, so it's not impossible. Barricades are really overpowered for redirecting traffic, or just make one hell of a killbox on one side and solo the other side. Some levels just take a more... creative approach.

I think I have a winner!

Chairmanchuck, SteamID please? Cubic gift coming soon.

Good to see recommendations! Some people dismiss the genre rather quickly due to the saturation, but there are some nifty gems to be found. Ouch, reading the post above, I have been warned about Orcs Must Die 2 then.

Oh, I meant the daily, not the Steam mid-week. sometimes the dailies can be neat surprises too... right?

You got a PM. Thanks bro :)

I beat it entirely solo, so it's not impossible. Barricades are really overpowered for redirecting traffic, or just make one hell of a killbox on one side and solo the other side.9

Really? It was just my impression when I tried to play the 6th or 7th Level, but didnt came back after I failed once *haha*

You got a PM. Thanks bro :)

Really? It was just my impression when I tried to play the 6th or 7th Level, but didnt came back after I failed once *haha*

Btw, this applies to the original OMD too. Barricades are awesome, yes! Create chokepoints, redirect orc traffic like a baws, etc.

edit: got it, will send a friend request and forward the gift. Enjoy the Cubemen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom