• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So, Half Life just got a 400MB update, any idea what its about?

I will give Garry a reach-around if it's achievements.

I have at least 16 people on my friend list with Sleeping Dogs and it looks like Jasec is the only one that played Nightmare in North Point. That's kinda disappointing.

It was too little and too late, I had already moved on from the game and it will probably be a while before crack it open again.

The Judge

Hey guys, I have a question for all of you using not the main Steam stores.

Recently Steam has opened a store in my country, meaning I can purchase and add funds to my wallet in my local currency. However, when I add funds to my wallet (say, 50), my credit card gets billed in dollars (utilizing the market exchange rate for currencies at the day). Say, if 1 dollar = 2 local currency, then I get charged 25 dollars instead of 50 local currency. This is an international transaction and therefore subjected to additional fees. So in the end I'm paying more than 50 to get 50 injected in my wallet.

It sounds really fishy to me, in a false advertising type of way. What's the point of making a big deal about opening a store in my country and being able to utilize local currency if I'll just get charged in dollars anyway? I keep paying other fees that I used to pay when there wasn't a store here, so it effectively changes nothing.

Not to mention that the banks usually utilize a commercial exchange rate which is significantly higher than the market one, furthermore boosting up my cost of adding funds. Of course this is something intrinsically from the banking system and outside of Steam's control to the point that when I only bought from the US store I knew this was an issue that I had to deal with. However, this should not happen if they advertise a local store with local currency.

Basically, I should be able to click "add 50 to your wallet" and know that I get 50 charged to my credit card. This is what happens when I buy something at a local supermarket. No transaction fees or nothing, I buy 50 there, I get charged 50. But the way it is, I have no idea how much I will be charged because of international transaction fees and I also have to worry about the exchange rate spread that my bank is charging at the moment. Which is ridiculous, considering Steam is advertising a local currency store.

What gives? Is that the same for other non-main Steam stores? Doesn't it smell like false advertising? They say local store but charge in dollars as international transactions. I'm not saying that they do this to get more money, but it sounds like ingenuity that they think, that just by utilizing the exchange rate of the day, they can simulate a local store with currency transactions.

Edit: for example's sake, I added 50 to my funds and ended up having to pay 64. That's 28% more.

Dmax3901

You've been chosen.

hl3.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
But you're not on my friend list :(
I could be if you accept the request.

I can't/won't be more competitive since I got kind of sick of the game and uninstalled it after I got 100%, however some of my scores/times should be fun to go after. Anyone who wants to top my civilian kill streak is definitely in for some sadistic fun when they scout out how to actually do it.

I added you too, I need more friends. :p

Aceptado.

I could be if you accept the request.

Done.

Added you too, mate - I'm currently playing through Sleeping Dogs, and seem to be, rather embarrassingly, in last place on almost all leaderboards amongst my friends... so yes, this is a kindness I can perform for you, too.

And done.

I got a lot of new Steam friends out of this. Thank you Sleeping Dogs.

Volcynika

Not sure if posteds:

Now Available - Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Enhanced Edition
Product Release - Valve 18:02
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Enhanced Edition is Now Available on Steam.

Developed by the Project Aces team, ACE COMBAT™ ASSAULT HORIZON intensifies the franchise, escalating combat to the next level with aircraft that are literally torn apart, spewing oil and debris across the sky. Players will engage in combat across the globe, dodging skyscrapers, and turning their enemies into fiery supersonic debris in both single player and online multiplayer. Never before has combat been so fast in-your-face.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/228400

$34.99 for US folks.

Not sure if posteds:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/228400

$34.99 for US folks.

Title: Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Enhanced Edition
Genre: Action, Simulation
Developer: Namco Bandai Games
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Release Date: 25 Jan 2013
Languages: English*, German*, French*, Italian*, Spanish*, Simplified Chinese, Russian, Polish
*languages with full audio support
3rd-party DRM: Microsoft

Don't forget, guys. And the price is hilarious.

edit: oh shit, this is the last GFWL title

*pours stale beer*

Bizzity

DNS issue?

Open a command prompt, type in tracert steampowered.com and see if it can resolve it.

If it can't you're gonna be having 'fun' with network diagnostics and google

tracert completes fine for steampowered.com, store.steampowered.com, cdn.steampowered.com, and cdn.store.steampowered.com if not a little a slow.
I also tried flushing the dns.
I have not had any trouble accessing any other site other than steam. It's weird, and a little annoying cause I tried to delete and then reinstall steam, but reinstall isn't happening when I can't access the website.

oipic

Add me on Steam if you want (and everyone else who would like to).

SteamID: MadrugadorDG

Added you too, mate - I'm currently playing through Sleeping Dogs, and seem to be, rather embarrassingly, in last place on almost all leaderboards amongst my friends... so yes, this is a kindness I can perform for you, too.

Why is my Steam downloading the Audiosurf demo and the Solar 2 demo and a 7.2gb update for ARMAII?

I've received 'updates' for DoW Winter Assault, Fallout: New Vegas and Plants vs Zombies today, for whatever reason - shenanigans related to the new beta client, or something? Conversions to the 'new' format, perhaps, showing themselves as updates now? Dunno.

Fireblend

Banned
What I'd give for an Ace Combat: Electrosphere HD remake... is this one any good? I think I'm being region-blocked by Steam, but not by GMG, which is weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom