• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigace33

Is there a Dishonored sale at Gamers Gate?

Nah, there was a huge mistake at Gamergate where they sold nearly every Bethesda game in a package deal for like $19. I happen to get Dishonored off a guy who bought the pack but Gamersgate had run out of keys. This was in December and now they are finally rolling out the keys.

Nah, there was a huge mistake at Gamergate where they sold nearly every Bethesda game in a package deal for like $19. I happen to get Dishonored off a guy who bought the pack but Gamersgate had run out of keys. This was in December and now they are finally rolling out the keys.
They Honored that mistake? CAn't believe it! Most be some sort of stealth propaganda to boost the site's rep.

Impressive if that's not the case.

Prezhulio

so i'm having a problem launching steam

when i launch steam.exe it says updating steam, and extracting packing underneath that, but it just closes after 10-15 seconds. i've tried downloading the installer and trying to repair, no luck. tried deleting everything out of my steam folder (except steamapps folder and steam.exe), and it will download a about 110mb of files, then repeat the same stuff.

any ideas? i'm stuck, don't really have any other ideas and kinda pissed...

cicero

They Honored that mistake? CAn't believe it! Most be some sort of stealth propaganda to boost the site's rep.

Impressive if that's not the case.

If it was intentional they would have had the keys back when the mistake was running, and they wouldn't have removed the games from the libraries of those who bought it but hadn't bought it before they ran out of keys, refunding them their money. Also, they would have immediately said that they were going to honor the purchases instead of implying that they wouldn't until they switched and said that they would for those who managed to redeem keys.

Some people who bought that Bethesda Bundle and the 4-Pack $11.50 Borderlands 2 Bundle as gifts and gifted it to people got a full refund and the keys. :eek:

kafiend

Anyone could help me?

I bought Far Cry 3 on Amazon 2 days ago. It registered on Steam just fine.

Downloaded and installed. When starting it, Uplay opens and asks for CD Key.

I try the Amazon one. Doesnt work. I see that if I right-click on the game on Steam it gives me an option to see a CD key.

However, if I click on it, it says Retrieving key and nothing happens. No error message. It just says that.

I have opened a ticket with Ubisoft and Steam, but its been 2 days and still no reply from either.

What can I do? Help! :(

Maybe there's some help in this thread. http://steamcommunity.com/app/220240/discussions/0/846938351123359525/#p2

esai

Thanks, but I have already tried that. I need the Steam CD key but I can't see it.

I think I have already read every far cry 3 thread on the Steam forums. :p

Why does Steam support sucks so much?
When it asked me for the code it was already typed in. All I had to do was hit enter.

Kuromino

Neo Member
Got the remaining keys from the Bethesda bundle. While I've been giving away all the keys I don't need to friends, I doubt any of them would want Rogue Warrior. If anyone actually wants this game, feel free to hit me up on Steam. Not gonna even bother trying to sell this game.

Edit: Gone

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kuromino

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I wish I was so lucky. I have tried everything. I'm actually re-installing the game to see if somehting happens

Maybe this is so simple I shouldn't even be asking, but...

Did you go to Library > Far Cry 3 > look on the far right under Links > CD Key and a window should pop up with the key

I bought the Professional edition for $35 during one of the flash sales so I have no experience with the free version, but since since it caps your room and objects count, it's mostly like a demo rather than a full fledged free version (like, say, Unity's).

I went with the Pro edition because it had SVN support, unlimited assets (though Personal has that too) and because it was pretty cheap, really.

As for my game, it's just a sort of Space Invaders clone and I'm drawing programmer art spaceships with no respect for any basic pixelart rules and basically making goofy laser beams and other guns while I discover new stuff about the engine every day.

iNgerqBincPpK.PNG

The purple hue shift ship is meant to resemble the helmet from Fallout 2's enclave power armor a bit :p

Really, I'm impressed with Game Maker because I feels like the best mix of drag and drop and actual high-level coding I've ever seen, even if the scripting language is pretty basic and the map editor is pretty bad. It seems to be in constant development so they might improve those things, though.

So bottomline, if you're good at programming, you probably will dread GM but for lesser mortals that just enjoy making games and can hold their own with the ifs and the whiles then it seems very much alright.

Also it has cheevos.

So if I had an idea for a match-3 game, which would be admittedly only slightly innovative, would it be easy to pull off using GameMaker? I literally have next to zero programming skills.

Maybe this is so simple I shouldn't even be asking, but...

Did you go to Library > Far Cry 3 > look on the far right under Links > CD Key and a window should pop up with the key

Did you read my initial post?

I did that. It says retrieving key, but nothing happens. I never get it!

Thanks anyway

KarmaCow

Yea I think I'm going to wait for the Chivalry patch. The game was alright but the of the few times I could actually connect to a server, the sound cut out and eventually the game crashed on a map change. Fixing the sound cutting out and connection problems seemed to require quitting out of the game and restarting Steam after deleting a file every time but I don't know what is causing the game crash/freezing.

zkylon

zkylewd
So if I had an idea for a match-3 game, which would be admittedly only slightly innovative, would it be easy to pull off using GameMaker? I literally have next to zero programming skills.
Game Maker works with a drag and drop interface that you can use to do the basic stuff you can do with the scripting language. You can combine the two at any moment, too. Basically you have a ton of objects (like the pieces in your match-3 game) and you have a bunch of preset events (collision with other objects, button presses, etc., plus a few you can add) its constantly listening to, so you just sorta "code" your way through in any of those two ways.

I feel the drag and dropping lends itself better to smaller stuff, but mixing the two can be useful if you don't want to code everything (and it's easier to get a quick grasp of what everything does since it's iconized, etc.). The scripting language isn't too complicated and I'd suggest learning at least a bit (the tutorials are not very serviceable for that, but normal coding tutorials might help, or just buy any beginner's C book or something).

But yeah, a simple match-3 game wouldn't be to difficult to make, or at least to prototype and then pass on to a programmer to actually develop.

tl;dr it'd be easy to pull off with GM without coding, but it would help a lot

Game Maker works with a drag and drop interface that you can use to do the basic stuff you can do with the scripting language. You can combine the two at any moment, too. Basically you have a ton of objects (like the pieces in your match-3 game) and you have a bunch of preset events (collision with other objects, button presses, etc., plus a few you can add) its constantly listening to, so you just sorta "code" your way through in any of those two ways.

I feel the drag and dropping lends itself better to smaller stuff, but mixing the two can be useful if you don't want to code everything (and it's easier to get a quick grasp of what everything does since it's iconized, etc.). The scripting language isn't too complicated and I'd suggest learning at least a bit (the tutorials are not very serviceable for that, but normal coding tutorials might help, or just buy any beginner's C book or something).

But yeah, a simple match-3 game wouldn't be to difficult to make, or at least to prototype and then pass on to a programmer to actually develop.

Cool. Thanks for the info!

Zeth

Deus Ex: HR for $4.99 is nice, I'll take it. Haven't played it since release, and on 360. Never finished the last quarter of the game either.

Son of a bitch! Didnt notice until after I bought both of them that I could have bought the Explosive mission pack and Tactical Enhancement Pack together for 20% less.

Caerith

So what is the deal with the severe lack of demos as of late?
Well, soldier is a lot easier to play.

So, it's not so much "know how to code" as it is "know the basics of programming and let GM handle the details"?

I'd be all over this, or RPG Maker, or something, if I had any artistic talent.

Tyrax

Can anyone explain why the Soul Reaver games are not part of this Square Enix promotion?
(btw, yes I am aware that its a better deal on gog.com)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, it's doing the same right now... It's ok, tho, it sucks but at least I don't have a bandwith cap!

Odd that the trick didn't work; I tested it just minutes ago with Tomb Raider 2 (downloaded virtually all of it, moved and renamed the folder, uninstalled the game, chucked it in steamapps\common, reinstalled and Steam was downloading just ~20MB). If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say Steam overwrote the files with dummy data when it began erroneously redownloading the game.

Code:
X-COM 1
X-COM 2
XCOM 3

Why is there a lack of hyphenation on Enemy Unknown? I hate when they do shit like that.

I couldn't help but notice Squeenix screwed the pooch with Angel of Darkness:

whatareyoudoingouqf4.jpg

coopolon

I've been having an odd problem.

I recently installed Windows 8 on my gaming desktop, reinstalled Steam, etc. Started playing games and for awhile my Xbox 360 wireless controller worked fine (using official receiver). Then all of a sudden it stopped working in games, but it still works fine controlling Steam Big Picture Mode. Windows makes the little noise when it connects and disconnects. But for both Red Faction Armageddon and Xcom the games are completely unresponsive to my 360 pad. I tried it with a wired 360 pad and am getting the same problem.

I can't imagine it's a driver problem because it works in Big Picture Mode, just not in actual games. It also doesn't help when I start a game from non-Big Picture Mode. It even works to bring up BPM from inside a game by pressing the Xbox button, and from there I can move around the in-game overlay with the controller just fine.

Any ideas?

Edit: Hmmm, I installed a non-steam version of Limbo and it works just fine with the gamepad. So it seems the problem is only for games I'm playing through Steam.

Edit 2: Nope, when I install Limbo through Steam the 360 controller works there as well. So it works in Limbo and BPM but not x-Com and Red Faction Armageddon. Works in Shatter too.

Edit 3: Huh, so I can get it working in Xcom by having two controllers plugged in (one wirless, one wired). Whichever one is 2nd player works. Both 1st and 2nd player can control BPM. So I guess for now I'm just going to leave the wired one plugged in and use the wireless one as 2nd player to play games. It hasn't always been like this though, I guess I'll try a new install of Windows since it worked at first. I must have done something to screw it up.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I guess that's decent if you don't have the many superior alternatives to those types of games.

vazel

Banned
I guess that's decent if you don't have the many superior alternatives to those types of games.
Painkiller is the best example of a run 'n gun shooter in the past decade.
The only better alternative to Cities in Motion I can think of is OpenTTD which is based on a 15 year old game.
Magicka is so unique it doesn't quite have an alternative.
Victoria II is another respectable Paradox strategy game.

Lone Survivor does put Home to shame so there's that, I guess. But other than that it's a terrific bundle.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I really missed your poetry when describing games you don't like. I'm sorry for you, but I wish there were many more games you also hate, just so I can rejoice with such fine display of imagination and epicness.

So far, nothing beats your magnificent description of Borderlands 2. But I know you can surpass it, I'm cheering for you!

i69XCzoqqrf3h.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
Cool. Thanks for the info!
No problem.

So, it's not so much "know how to code" as it is "know the basics of programming and let GM handle the details"?

I'd be all over this, or RPG Maker, or something, if I had any artistic talent.
Sorta, if you have any experience coding games you'll find GM to be pretty standard and just quickly be able to make stuff happen. It's not that different from other engines, so you know to expect some functional baseline of draw methods, physics, collision, stuff like that.

The cool part is that the event system seems like it streamlines very nicely how objects relate with one another so it makes it really easy to just have something up and running without bothering with boring stuff like object pools and stuff like that (even though you'll probably want to in the future).

Programming experience is not a requisite right away, but I'd say that as projects get bigger, I can't imagine people doing everything with the drag and drop interface, even if I've known designers to be really crafty at working their way around doing actual programming. I've already moved 90% of my stuff to plain code because it's just so much faster and intuitive to use, though, so I'm thinking you're better off learning a bit of coding and just trying to branch off the tutorials and make your own Breakout clones.

Also, RPG Maker must be REALLY easy by now. I used it back when I was 13 and I was never too good at math or anything like that and I learn how to program just about 5 years ago but I remember doing very basic coding in it and doing stuff like dynamic rain and thunder in no time. I'm sure it's at least worth a try. Artistic talent is something you grow, anyways.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Painkiller is the best example of a run 'n gun shooter in the past decade.
The only better alternative to Cities in Motion I can think of is OpenTTD which is based on a 15 year old game.
Magicka is so unique it doesn't quite have an alternative.
Victoria II is another respectable Paradox strategy game.

Lone Survivor does put Home to shame so there's that, I guess. But other than that it's a terrific bundle.
What I mean (my perspective) is...

I have Trine 2 which is vastly superior to the original and had many opportunities to get it way cheap after the first time I did, so it is likely that others did as well.

Left 4 Dead and Killing Floor are better modern options for fast paced killing shooters to me, and Painkiller Black has an HD remake that isn't very expensive and had gone on deep sales.

Cities in Motion is a transportation management sim so I guess if you're going to be that specific and you're a total transportation nerd, it's unique. However, to me it's just another variation on city management larger, which is a huge genre with many options that go much deeper and more engaging and customizable and I have several.

Magicka fucking sucks ass and any isometic fantasy game is better, and there are like, hundreds.

Victoria II is decent if you are new to grand strategy OR so deep into it that you are looking for that exact spin on it, but if the latter is the case you probably already have it and if the former is the case there are several better ways in from Paradox and they have/do often come in bundles on the cheap, or get handed to you free by people who have extra copies if you know where to ask around.

"Alternatives" doesn't really mean "Equivalents" so much as just something that would fill the same general gaming craving. The opportunities are and have been great, even on the extremely cheap, so it strikes me as a bundle for people who haven't been in the Steam scene very long.

vocab

The remake sucks? Shame.

Even though Stallion Free said it lacks content, I personally think it feels and plays like shit. The original painkiller was about fluidity, and control. Porting it over to the UE3 is a huge disservice to the game.

dreamfall

For all the hate it has been getting, DmC has been an enjoyable romp thus far.

And just added some Dragon Born to the wishlist! Excited to see that pop up on the Store front!

Looks like AMD Catalyst 13.1 is out. Has anyone installed it?

Performance Highlights of AMD Catalyst 13.1 (vs. AMD Catalyst 12.10): Includes all of the performance improvements found in AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11

Performance gains seen on the entire AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series:
All game were tested at high / extreme / ultra levels
Enhanced performance in Far Cry 3 (up to 25% with 8xMSAA, SSAO enabled @ 1600p, and up to 15% with 8xMSAA, HDAO enabled @1600p) (AMD Catalyst 12.11 CAP2 must also be installed)
Enhanced AMD CrossFire™ scaling performance in Call of Duty Black Ops 2
Up to 10%-15% more performance in Battlefield 3 in most cases
• More than 20% in certain missions and sequences (Comrades)
Up to 7% more performance in Metro 2033
Up to 10% more performance in DiRT Showdown
Up to 8% more performance in Sleeping Dogs
Up to 12% more performance in Civilization V
Up to 10% more performance in StarCraft II
Up to 8% more performance in Sniper Elite: V2
Up to 5% more performance in Max Payne 3

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion131.aspx

more GMG weekend deals :

Batman AC : $7.49 (75%off)
Starvoid : $2.49 (75%off)

plus Alan Wake (75%off), Spellforce CE (75%off), War of the North (75%off) and some more.

Thank you. Not for these games, but because of you I went to GMG and got LOTR: War in the North for $4.00. :)
EDIT - You edited your post as I was writing mine, lol. You mention the LOTR game now :p

PS - About the problem I posted on the last page. I have a different question.

I bought adn Ubisoft game on Amazon redeemable on Steam.

The CD key that Steam is supposed to give me to activate the game on Uplay - will it be the same key I used to register on Steam or will it be something else?

Thanks to whomever help

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Even though Stallion Free said it lacks content, I personally think it feels and plays like shit. The original painkiller was about fluidity, and control. Porting it over to the UE3 is a huge disservice to the game.

I think the only thing that felt truly great in Painkiller was the bunny-hopping. It's serviceable in the Remake.

You lost me at magicka sucks ass.

It's probably safe to assume that anyone who thinks that of Magicka played it alone. I just feel pity for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom