• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

I guess I missed the update, but you can now save uncompressed PNGs within Steam now. Just opt into the beta and check the settings menu.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I guess I missed the update, but you can now save uncompressed PNGs within Steam now. Just opt into the beta and check the settings menu.

To clarify, Steam Community is still limited to over-compressed JPEGs, but the aforementioned setting has Steam save PNG copies in a nominated folder.

Ocho

So, what do you think of the GeForce experience now that it is available (the software that chooses the video settings for you)? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Kabouter

Painkiller is the best example of a run 'n gun shooter in the past decade.
The only better alternative to Cities in Motion I can think of is OpenTTD which is based on a 15 year old game.
Magicka is so unique it doesn't quite have an alternative.
Victoria II is another respectable Paradox strategy game.

Lone Survivor does put Home to shame so there's that, I guess. But other than that it's a terrific bundle.

Traffic Giant is the only thing I can think of that scratches the same itch as Cities in Motion, which isn't odd since Cities in Motion is essentially a Traffic Giant clone. OpenTTD is quite different in nature I feel. Victoria II is pretty great, and unique even within its already niche genre. The focus on economy and socio-political developments is one not found in any other Paradox game.

wazoo

Yup, been using it since the 15th and so far so good (Radeon 5670). I was using beta 11 before. I've been playing a lot of Sleeping Dogs and framerate has improved.

I have been hearing good things about the upcoming beta but it's been pushed to next week.

I wonder about all those releases. Are they improving games directly or only if you use some special Catalyst feature, like they have some profile for each game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't help but notice Squeenix screwed the pooch with Angel of Darkness:

whatareyoudoingouqf4.jpg
This shit should be illegal. It makes the library look hideous, disorganized and stupid.

Reminds me of Prototype -> PROTOTYPE 2, or a couple of games that added a trademark or TM character to the name of the sequel (luckily I don't have any of the latter).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
At 5$? Absolutely. I found it to be a surprisingly great experience.
I have 2 hours to force myself not to spend more money on games. After that, I have the whole weekend to try not to buy Batman: Arkham City GOTY from GMG.

And then, if I have some more time, I may even play a game I already own for 5 minutes or so.

Tomodachi

I already have Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, would I get the chance to give away the extra copies if I got the Tomb Raider Complete pack?

And in that case, would anyone interested in Legend, Anniversary and Underworld only be willing to split that Complete pack with me? I'm only interested in the first six games (the old ones) but their price combined is the same as the complete bundle :(

EDIT: oh, also you'd have to get the pack if you're in the US because it's more expansive here in Europe, but I could paypal in advance :)

JaseC

I already have Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, would I get the chance to give away the extra copies if I got the Tomb Raider Complete pack?

And in that case, would anyone interested in Legend, Anniversary and Underworld only be willing to split that Complete pack with me? I'm only interested in the first six games (the old ones) but their price combined is the same as the complete bundle :(

EDIT: oh, also you'd have to get the pack if you're in the US because it's more expansive here in Europe, but I could paypal in advance :)

Unless explicitly stated on the product page, you won't get spares. The exceptions to this rule are within a few Valve bundles and a Dawn of War 2 bundle, which are noted here.

Tizoc

IIRC, if you buy the bundle, those 3 will got your inventory for gifting.

Umm I could trade you 1-2 games for TR Legend and/or Ann.?

Tomodachi

Unless explicitly stated on the product page, you won't get spares. The exceptions to this rule are within a few Valve bundles and a Dawn of War 2 bundle, which are noted here.
Oh, I see.

But what if I buy the bundle selecting the "put it into my inventory" option? Would I get only one item (the bundle itself then, not 9 different items) until I redeem it? That would make sense I guess, so there's no way at all to "split" a bundle sold via Steam. Pity though :(

JaseC

Oh, I see.

But what if I buy the bundle selecting the "put it into my inventory" option? Would I get only one item (the bundle itself then, not 9 different items) until I redeem it? That would make sense I guess, so there's no way at all to "split" a bundle sold via Steam. Pity though :(

Just the one item, since the bundle is its own sub/product.

Jawmuncher

So quick question, Max Paybe 3.
Should I bother beating 1 and 2 first before playing 3 or is it not needed?
I have beat 1 before but never played much of 2.

Tizoc

Oh, I see.

Just an FYI that TOmb raider 1-3 are on gog.com for $10-
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/tomb_raider_123
EDIT: Well assuming you miss out on the discount ^_^;

JaseC

Reminds me of Prototype -> PROTOTYPE 2, or a couple of games that added a trademark or TM character to the name of the sequel (luckily I don't have any of the latter).

Arkham City was originally Batman®: Arkham City™. WB eventually removed the former but not the latter. Similarly, Assassin's Creed III is still Assassin`s Creed® III. The ® doesn't bother me as much as the bloody grave accent.

Just an FYI that TOmb raider 1-3 are on gog.com for $10-
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/tomb_raider_123

They're cheaper on Steam for the time being.

Sober

Arkham City was originally Batman®: Arkham City™. WB eventually removed the former but not the latter. Similarly, Assassin's Creed III is still Assassin`s Creed® III. The ® doesn't bother me as much as the bloody grave accent.
The Dawn of War ones are the best. Too bad THQ isn't around to edit them out anymore :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So quick question, Max Paybe 3.
Should I bother beating 1 and 2 first before playing 3 or is it not needed?
I have beat 1 before but never played much of 2.
Yes, they are 2 of the best games I've ever played. Do yourself a favor and play them (replay MP1, play MP2 and then feast yourself on MP3).

That TM or ® characters look horrible, no matter which game they're on. But it's specially infuriating when some of the games in a franchise have it and others don't.

Whoa, Skyrim as a daily deal not during a big sale?

Bethesda must be going under or something.

I was just thinking today how I wanted Skyrim on sale. Now that it is in front of me, I can't pull the trigger. I'm so glad I am not as impulsive as I once was.

cicero

"Alternatives" doesn't really mean "Equivalents" so much as just something that would fill the same general gaming craving. The opportunities are and have been great, even on the extremely cheap, so it strikes me as a bundle for people who haven't been in the Steam scene very long.
I would have to say that a large chunk of people who are buying bundles aren't buying bundles looking exclusively for games that are the best in each genre alone. I bought this one despite owning everything but Deponia already. Seeing as how I bought it during a Happy Hour, which is currently going again right now, I was able to get two bundles for a little over the price of one. It is a very decent bundle for Indie Gala, and it is worth mentioning in this Steam related thread for people who might not check the Indie Bundle thread. I found worth in it despite my having signed up for Steam several years ago and having a somewhat large Steam game library. :p

Thanks for the heads up, Viperik.

Deques

I bought NA version of Skyrim, does that mean that I also need NA version of the dlcs in order to make the dlcs to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom