• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saggy

Well if you want to play something more 'modern' get Legends, Ann. and Underworld, they're pretty good. The older games might not click with newcomers to the series. One of the main highlights of the TR series is 'isolationism' in that its just Lara and the area you're playing in, solving puzzles and advancing through the stage.
Are there any differences between the older ones and the newer ones besides graphics? I'm mainly interested in getting them for the gameplay, so if they all play essentially the same way, then I'm cool with getting the older ones.

I dont see any timer running on the sales page. How much longer is TR: Anniversary going to be available at that price?

Ahh. Nevermind.

Wow, I just realised that I've never bought Half-Life on Steam. I still have a retail CD of it so it's never been necessary, but I decided that I wanted to give the Linux beta of it a try so I rectified that oversight sharpish.

Wok

Wow, I just realised that I've never bought Half-Life on Steam. I still have a retail CD of it so it's never been necessary, but I decided that I wanted to give the Linux beta of it a try so I rectified that oversight sharpish.

By the way, what is better between vanilla HL and HL:Source?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have at least three Steam accounts thanks to the Half-Life Platinum Pack, but unfortunately the others have been lost to time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I hope you just entered the cd-key to get pretty much every HL1 engine game on Steam. Valve put that in place for a reason.

Yea the tutorial achievements along with some other ones aren't working.

To be honest, I've held off playing it partly for that reason.

ibful1OaeJvMaY.gif

By the way, what is better between vanilla HL and HL:Source?
Source might as well not exist.

Tomodachi

Did you enter the cd key on steam? It unlocks some stuff other than HL.

EDIT: aaand beaten.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jeez it's not like I said it was the sole reason or I'm choosing to do nothing instead.

Look, I fucking dig Steam achievements and they aren't even a factor in whether or not I play Chivalry.

I mean, the game shits all over like every other multiplayer game released this year and especially last year.

Grief.exe

Yea the tutorial achievements along with some other ones aren't working.

To be honest, I've held off playing it partly for that reason.

Isn't there a patch that coming out this month? I played through the tutorial and it was pretty buggy, achievements aside. I have other games I could play while wait till it gets patched.

Are you serious man?

Just watch this video, quit your complaining, and start rolling some heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfpsoBX3EDk

I think we just found this guys GAF tag btw

KarmaCow
Holds off for achievements

I hope you just entered the cd-key to get pretty much every HL1 engine game on Steam. Valve put that in place for a reason.

I had done this with my original HL key on my Day 1 Steam account. It had all the HL games and CS 1.6. But for some reason, I dont know if I was high or drunk or something, But when I got HL2 I created an entirely new account during the installation process. Didnt know back then that I could get them merged so I just gave away the first account to a random person online who had never played Half Life.

Grief.exe

I had done this with my original HL key on my Day 1 Steam account. It had all the HL games and CS 1.6. But for some reason, I dont know if I was high or drunk or something, But when I got HL2 I created an entirely new account during the installation process. Didnt know back then that I could get them merged so I just gave away the first account to a random person online who had never played Half Life.

You should find that account and see how many games he has on it now.

Nah the CD is in a box in my house. I'm actually staying with a friend this month so I'm not anywhere near it and my only PC for playing games on is a laptop from 2008 running Ubuntu, so I decided to splurge. I finally quit smoking recently, and it's less than the price of a packet of cigarettes, so it's almost like Valve are paying me to play Half-Life.

KarmaCow

Are you serious man?

Just watch this video, quit your complaining, and start rolling some heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfpsoBX3EDk

I think we just found this guys GAF tag btw

KarmaCow
Holds off for achievements

When I tried playing the tutorial in December, the UI would constantly flash, the tips were unreadable because they were rapidly switching, events wouldn't trigger and the achievements were bugged. I heard this was getting patched in January, so I went onto other games that I bought in the sale.

What do I lose by playing other games instead until the game gets patched? Nothing, unless the player base plummets by the time the game gets patched. Am I taking crazy pills or is this not a reasonable decision to make?

Grief.exe

When I tried playing the tutorial in December, the UI would constantly flash, the tips were unreadable because they were rapidly switching, events wouldn't trigger and the achievements were bugged. I heard this was getting patched in January, so I went onto other games that I bought in the sale.

What do I lose by playing other games instead until the game gets patched? Nothing, unless the player base plummets by the time the game gets patched. Am I taking crazy pills or is this not a reasonable decision to make?

Because the rest of the game isn't broken.

Watch that one video and you learn far more than you would in the Chivalry tutorial. Alternatively, you could have asked on here originally.

Just a real shame to miss out on a game as good as Chivalry because of a bad first impression with the tutorial.

JaseC

OG scientists have so much more charm.

Both texture sets look like shit nowadays so why would I care about a marginal improvement over the originals charm?

You're forgetting the most important detail: Half-Life Vanilla has nacho cockroaches:

aO0HfZm.jpg

KarmaCow

Because the rest of the game isn't broken.

Watch that one video and you learn far more than you would in the Chivalry tutorial. Alternatively, you could have asked on here originally.

Just a real shame to miss out on a game as good as Chivalry because of a bad first impression with the tutorial.

Fair enough, I'll try it out. My original post was kinda crazy without context.

Though I am surprised the patch didn't coincide with the free weekend.

- Cut/paste the LA Noire folder outside of the downloading folder
- Uninstall the game from within the client
- Move the LA Noire folder into steamapps\common
- Install the game

Steam should detect the existing data and only download what's needed (if anything).
Sorry for not answering earlier, I had to leave right after posting, thanks for the help!

Sadly, it didn't work, every time I try the files go back to "downloading" and it starts from scratch again :( Oh well, I'll check out Closure today...

jediyoshi

OG scientists have so much more charm.

Both texture sets look like shit nowadays so why would I care about a marginal improvement over the originals charm?

Seeing their ties flop around now animated was pretty mind blowing shit back then. I don't recall textures specifically ever being the point of it, the real plus were the new models. Unless he's specifically playing for nostalgia, if the choice is between HLS and goldsc, using the pack is a good middle ground

Grief.exe

They have a beta patch out. I think this free weekend has been planned for a while. They have been saying to wait for the end of January for a patch for a while. But I think they didn't get it done in time to coincide with the free weekend.

To be honest the patch mostly benefits people who have been playing for a while anyways.

I haven't read anything about the patch fixing the tutorial. They actually further broke the tutorial when they changed the way feinting works in a previous patch.

The patch is pretty damn massive though: http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9096

Nabs

They hit youtube pretty hard yesterday with duel mode videos, so I'm guessing that was the plan. I may try out the beta patch once the noobs go away :(

JaseC

Sharp abdomen, would not bang.

And not nearly Irish enough for my tastes.

Sorry for not answering earlier, I had to leave right after posting, thanks for the help!

Sadly, it didn't work, every time I try the files go back to "downloading" and it starts from scratch again :( Oh well, I'll check out Closure today...

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that you have to rename the folder to l.a.noire once it's in steamapps\common. When installing the game, pay attention to the progress bar; you should see "Detecting existing game data..." (or something to that effect).

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that you have to rename the folder to l.a.noire once it's in steamapps\common.

Yup, I figured that out and I did it both times.

When the installation begins, Steam takes a loooooooooooong time analizing the files, but after that it's just like nothing happened :(

JaseC

Yup, I figured that out and I did it both times.

When the installation begins, Steam takes a loooooooooooong time analizing the files, but after that it's just like nothing happened :(

Just to to be clear, you did name the folder exactly as I described it, right? Entirely lowercase and with no spaces?

zkylon

zkylewd
Greenlight stuff:

Construct 2 - Free (limited)

You can be a game developer! Construct 2 redefines game making and allows everyone to make their own games - no programming required.
Construct 2's intuitive editor makes it straightforward to bring your ideas to life. Share and publish your games on the web and a wide range of devices.
Join the Game Making Revolution!
Well I suppose I'll try this too since everyone's crazed about HTML5 nowadays...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Well I suppose I'll try this too since everyone's crazed about HTML5 nowadays...

Thinking about actually buying it (Personal Edition I guess) to be able to put stuff on Android Market. Then again, I should probably test it first to see if it's really that simple to use and create stuff. Are you able to make everything you want with it, or is it rather limited? Anyone know anything about that software and can elaborate?

zkylon

zkylewd
Thinking about actually buying it (Personal Edition I guess) to be able to put stuff on Android Market. Then again, I should probably test it first to see if it's really that simple to use and create stuff. Are you able to make everything you want with it, or is it rather limited? Anyone know anything about that software and can elaborate?
I've heard pretty good stuff about it but from what I gather, the free version is very limited.

I've been using GameMaker these past two weeks and it seems pretty capable and it has a HTML5 version too ($100).

M*A*S*H

I'm interested in buying a couple of iron brigade keys for those who are buying the amazon bundle and don't want them. PM me and we can sort things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom